I just had a friend make a comment that struck me as a little funny...

NWACruiser

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Good point and thanks for the information. I guess the next question is, how many people would care? 

People who know the difference would care - just as people who know the difference between mass market lines and so-called “luxury” lines (which means they need to have experienced both) are sufficiently informed to discuss the differences.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, baelor said:

I guess I am less inclined to sacrifice accuracy and candor on the altar of avoiding apparent snobbery.  One person's snobbery is another person's helpful advice.  People can avoid threads they do not like.

How can YOU claim accuracy and candor when you've NEVER been on any cruise? 

Even above, you state your disbelief that a signer on a "high end" line could ever be off key. Yet, we live in a world where top singers  are known to hit a wrong note or two every now and then. You seem to believe paying more for a cruise somehow imbues the staff with superhuman powers and talents.

23 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

How can YOU claim accuracy and candor when you've NEVER been on any cruise? 

I never made definitive claims about cruising experiences.  Feel free to confirm by re-reading my posts.

Even above, you state your disbelief that a signer on a "high end" line could ever be off key.

I never said that.  A singer hitting a wrong note once or twice a year does not make that singer an "off-key singer," which is what was being discussed.

You seem to believe paying more for a cruise somehow imbues the staff with superhuman powers and talents.

No, I don't.  For all I know, luxury lines are way overpriced and not worth it.  Or even worse for any number of reasons.

I was simply pointing out that "all food is subjective" and "all service is subjective" are as vague as they are untrue.  

Edited by baelor

2 hours ago, baelor said:

I guess I am less inclined to sacrifice accuracy and candor on the altar of avoiding apparent snobbery.  One person's snobbery is another person's helpful advice.  People can avoid threads they do not like.

Being aware of differences in quality is hardly snobbery - it is simply being aware.  And when people bring up "snobbery" it is often just an expression of reverse snobbery:  claiming to be above those people who happen to prefer one thing over another.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

People who know the difference would care - just as people who know the difference between mass market lines and so-called “luxury” lines (which means they need to have experienced both) are sufficiently informed to discuss the differences.

So can we assume that means anyone who has not cruised a mass-market line are also "sufficiently uninformed" and are incapable of discussing the differences?

If so, that would probably cut down on a lot of these type of threads. 

50 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

So can we assume that means anyone who has not cruised a mass-market line are also "sufficiently uninformed" and are incapable of discussing the differences?

If so, that would probably cut down on a lot of these type of threads. 

I do not know about you, but I try not to discuss things with which I am unfamiliar - I have sailed Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, Princess, Norway, HAL, Oceania, Crystal, Azamera, among others- while not an expert, I think I am sufficiently informed to make comparative comments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Being aware of differences in quality is hardly snobbery - it is simply being aware.  And when people bring up "snobbery" it is often just an expression of reverse snobbery:  claiming to be above those people who happen to prefer one thing over another.

Come on. We all know and see the snobbery. It's perfectly fine for people to like whatever line they like. The problem comes in when people openly deride lines like Carnival. 

Carnival may not be your cup of tea, but like someone mentioned above, they offer a product that has a market. If someone cruises on Carnival or RCI or any of the "mass market" lines, it doesn't mean they don't know or want a quality experience. It doesn't mean they are budget shoppers.  They just like what they like. No need to use snide language when these names come up.

52 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Come on. We all know and see the snobbery. It's perfectly fine for people to like whatever line they like. The problem comes in when people openly deride lines like Carnival. 

Carnival may not be your cup of tea, but like someone mentioned above, they offer a product that has a market. If someone cruises on Carnival or RCI or any of the "mass market" lines, it doesn't mean they don't know or want a quality experience. It doesn't mean they are budget shoppers.  They just like what they like. No need to use snide language when these names come up.

This is a good example of what is referred to as reverse snobbery.  Your claiming to "know and see the snobbery"  when someone simply identifies what he/she sees as a superior product or service is just tiresome.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:37 PM, baelor said:

You asked why and I answered you.  Just as an innocent question on tipping or dress requirements will bring on contention.  It is the nature of the beast.

OF COURSE different levels of cruise lines (mass, premium, luxury) will have different levels of service.

29 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

OF COURSE different levels of cruise lines (mass, premium, luxury) will have different levels of service.

I have no doubt this would be the case, but then wonder.   Taking a standard balcony cabin on Celebrity vs Oceana as an example, I'm positive the food/dining would be superior on Oceana.  Setting food/dining aside what are the differences in levels of service? Are there more or better lounge/atrium entertainment?    Better theater performances?  Room stewarts more attentive? More bar staff?   Maybe more about experience than service, things like children vs no children, some inclusive vs a la carte, space ratios, and ship size would likely be different.  I can see lack of lines/waiting on smaller ships being superior, at least it should be.   

Edited by ldubs

On 4/22/2022 at 12:01 PM, baelor said:

My first sailing is on Royal in August, and I am super-pumped about it and sure I will have tons of fun!

Don't get wrapped up in people's attempts to insult by using terms like "mass market", etc. You absolutely should be pumped about your upcoming cruise.  Royal Caribbean is a great experience, and the ship will amaze you.  Enjoy your cruise!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 3:45 PM, Aquahound said:

Don't get wrapped up in people's attempts to insult by using terms like "mass market", etc. You absolutely should be pumped about your upcoming cruise.  Royal Caribbean is a great experience, and the ship will amaze you.  Enjoy your cruise!  

Our last two cruises on RCI were both fabulous.  One was Australia, the other was a last minute Rome-BCN at the end of the season.

I believe some people equate different with not as good.  There are differences between cruise lines and cruise ships. 

Pick up on the differences between cruise lines and enjoy them.   Much easier than being a grouch and comparing everything down to the color of the cabin with one's favorite cruise line.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, iancal said:

I believe some people equate different with not as good.  There are differences between cruise lines and cruise ships. 

.....and just being at home and not on a cruise.  Variety is the spice of life is a very old cliche, but, it's true in my experience.  Any cruise on any cruise line/ship is a "luxury" for me.  

• Like 1