Covid treatments on ship.

Does anyone know what antivirals RCC has in their medical areas. I am double boosted but also have comorbidities. I will be masked at all inside curcumstances but still wish to know resources JIC. 

Also, do they have specific areas for quarantine?

I have not seen any reports of anyone getting anything except OTC meds like ibuprofin. Don’t expect to get Pavloxid as it has interactions and side effects that would require more of your medical history and more monitoring.

Just now, Jasukkie said:

No idea. I'm curious if physicians might give a just in case prescription for Paxlovid for people traveling. You would need to discuss other medications you take ahead of time because there are considerations. 

Doubt it. Currently it is used primarily for high risk people because of other interactions and side effects.

5 minutes ago, Babr said:

Doubt it. Currently it is used primarily for high risk people because of other interactions and side effects.

Agree, doubt this would be widely done. From what I read on social media, some sailings have a fair number of people reporting to their groups that they tested positive on return from their cruise.  I think someone with significant risk factors should really work to minimize their exposure risks onboard if they decide to cruise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I think someone with significant risk factors should really work to minimize their exposure risks onboard if they decide to cruise.

Or even reassess if a vacation that involves crowded settings is even appropriate at the moment. 

I would not expect for the medical center to give you any type of covid treatment other than tylenol, advil and/or cough syrup. 

I have not heard of them giving anyone remdesivir.   I do not believe they are in the practice of giving anyone treatments that are authorized "for emergency use only" such as monoclonal antibodies.     

If your symptoms are bad enough or they feel you will need additional medical treatment they will take you to a hospital at whatever port is nearby or arrange transport for you.    

If you test positive the last day of you cruise they will probably let you stay in your existing cabin, unless you need medical attention then they will move you to one of their quarantine cabins near the medical center.    IF test positive in middle of a cruise (which is rare as they don't test you unless you say you don't feel well) they will most likely move you to one of their quarantine cabins.    Which is usually an oceanview cabin (but varies ship to ship).   

My DH is a transplant receipient and we have been on 3 cruises this year.    We felt completely safe on each cruise.       You need to do whatever makes you feel comfortable and try your best to have a nice relaxing cruise 🤩

CDC required each ship upgrade their medical centers to handle covid patients.   I am pretty sure they have ventilators available, if needed.    

• Like 1

Just got off cruise on Sunday tested positive for Covid on Saturday.  I went to the medical center after calling for an appointment at 0730 hrs.  I arrived at 0800 and was taken to an examination room and vitals were taken.  The doctor ordered a pcr test to see if I had covd, after about an hour they came and told me I was positive.  My wife was given a antigen test (she had no symptoms) it came back negative.  She was taken to our stateroom to pack our things for the move to the red zone located on the 6 deck where the quarantined people go.  I remained in the examination room until 1230 before the hazmat team came for me.  It was a team of 4 all dressed in your typical hazmat gear, one had a little portable fogger to disinfect the examination room and then follow behind me up to the 6 deck fogging behind me in the hallway.  I waited for about 30 minutes for my wife to be brought down, they had to defog our original cabin along with our luggage.  Once in the room you are in quarantine you will get room service but you cannot leave.  The next morning at 0600 they brought down breakfast.  At 0700 they came for us with the hazmat team and a luggage buggy.  They loaded the luggage and took it down to deck two where we were deboarded.  The day before my wife told me a rep. came down when she was packing and took pictures of our vacc cards and our passports.  Upon our deboarding we did not have to deal with customs.  Once off the ship they had 4 to 5 black large SUV's standing by.  Our luggage was loaded into the SUV and we were taken to our vehicle in he parking lot where they loaded our car.  Now to answer your question they gave me dayquil and niquil and a small bag of cough drops.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

No idea. I'm curious if physicians might give a just in case prescription for Paxlovid for people traveling. You would need to discuss other medications you take ahead of time because there are considerations. 

I sincerely doubt it. This one certainly would not.

• Like 1

You're unlikely to go from testing negative and being asymptomatic at the start of a cruise to being symptomatic to the point of needing hospitalization over the course of a typical cruise. 

If your health is that fragile, you have no business cruising.

• Like 4

Yes my wife was given option to stay in our original room.  She is now having symptoms of covid they began on Monday.  So far hers are milder than mine were.  I am feeling better but still coughing and milder headache, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, leerobbs said:

Yes my wife was given option to stay in our original room.  She is now having symptoms of covid they began on Monday.  So far hers are milder than mine were.  I am feeling better but still coughing and milder headache, thanks.

I hope you both feel better soon!      

Did they drive you home from cruise port?

On 4/20/2022 at 9:52 PM, brillohead said:

You're unlikely to go from testing negative and being asymptomatic at the start of a cruise to being symptomatic to the point of needing hospitalization over the course of a typical cruise. 

I think that you have a typo. I think it is that you are LIKELY to go from negative to hospital in a week's time if you catch a serious case of COVID. I have several friends, double vaxxed and boosted, who have ended up in hospital. And there is the unfortunate passenger on the Carnival ship who evac'ed and passed away. 

57 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I think that you have a typo. I think it is that you are LIKELY to go from negative to hospital in a week's time if you catch a serious case of COVID. I have several friends, double vaxxed and boosted, who have ended up in hospital. And there is the unfortunate passenger on the Carnival ship who evac'ed and passed away. 

From onset of symptoms to hospitalization in just a couple days is rare. 

You might want to do some actual research.  

• Like 2

I always wonder this....if you are asking questions like this, are you really wanting to go on a cruise?  I don't really care if you do or not, because I really don't even worry about this type of stuff.  But so many people post of these things still, when the risk is so low.  Isn't the risk like all other virus?  It can happen. Plus, how will your really know you got it?  It does take several days to build up, and by that time, you will be on way home.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, njkruzer said:

I guess the question is why did you go get a covid test?  Did you feel sick?

Daughter last week had plugged ears, was Sinus infection but they tested her twice in 24hrs and Quarantined her in own Cabin for that time just be safe. Rest of us could come/go no issue. Then passengers on B2B get Tested last day of first Cruise. I'm on B4B and just had my third Test, takes all of 20-25Min with Text results on my Cell. Got my Negative before even got back to my Cabin

On 4/22/2022 at 7:55 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I always wonder this....if you are asking questions like this, are you really wanting to go on a cruise?  I don't really care if you do or not, because I really don't even worry about this type of stuff.  But so many people post of these things still, when the risk is so low.  Isn't the risk like all other virus?  It can happen. Plus, how will your really know you got it?  It does take several days to build up, and by that time, you will be on way home.

We REALLY wanted to go.  We are packed.  We should have sailed yesterday on NCL Pride of America.  The only reason we tested my husband on Tuesday was because he had what seemed to be a severe  allergy.  Positive.  Wouldn't wish this on anyone....Yet positive before our vacation began is actually a blessing!  I thought I would catch it for sure according to all the "info"?  out there...but I am still negative today...5 days into his symptoms.  I hope this will end soon.  So much false information.    

• Like 3