Bermuda Travel Form

Giantfan13

I looked over the application process for the tax form. Seems rather easy. You upload your passport details, date you'll arrive in Bermuda, etc. also pics of the vax cards. 

Considering it's best for me to hold off in paying this tax form - I'll wait until the first day in July to apply because there's a good chance this bureacratic and greedy tax form thing might be gone by then as the people of Bermuda want it gone - especially the small business owners.

41 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I looked over the application process for the tax form. Seems rather easy. You upload your passport details, date you'll arrive in Bermuda, etc. also pics of the vax cards. 

Considering it's best for me to hold off in paying this tax form - I'll wait until the first day in July to apply because there's a good chance this bureacratic and greedy tax form thing might be gone by then as the people of Bermuda want it gone - especially the small business owners.

Anything's possible but I doubt that the fee is going to be eliminated anytime soon because the government has included the revenue in its budget through the first quarter of 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sweetalyssum said:

What gets me is if a person would happen to get a positive test result, everyone in their party will be out the $40 even if they don’t bother to submit the final form.  They’ve already paid and won’t get a refund.

Excellent point! This policy is very unpopular, as you can imagine.

3 hours ago, johnjen said:

It can't hurt to wait. When I did ours for the 22 May sailing recently, notice that the application was successfully submitted came in minutes. Doing it a month early isn't beneficial.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Anything's possible but I doubt that the fee is going to be eliminated anytime soon because the government has included the revenue in its budget through the first quarter of 2023.

Also read an article in BER news saying it's likely to remain until at least April 2023.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sweetalyssum said:

What gets me is if a person would happen to get a positive test result, everyone in their party will be out the $40 even if they don’t bother to submit the final form.  They’ve already paid and won’t get a refund.

11 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

Excellent point! This policy is very unpopular, as you can imagine.

Can't you dispute the charge on your card if that should happen?

Just now, johnjen said:

Thanks for your replies! We are still looking forward to this cruise and I've decided to not be bothered about their $80 (for the two of us). 

Since this is our first time in Bermuda, the $80 doesn't really bother me that much. What does get me is the aggravation of taking the test two days before departure, (instead of three, which CCL allows), then still having to wait to get the TA to see if we can even get on the ship. Especially since all this is required by the cruise lines. It is very stressful hoping it will all work out. Cruisers should not have to worry the day before departure if they are even allowed to go because of a money grab. All countries were hit hard by the pandemic and are not doing this.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

....then still having to wait to get the TA to see if we can even get on the ship. Especially since all this is required by the cruise lines.

Pretty simple: it's duplicative busywork by Bermuda that is not necessary for selected (most?) visiting cruise ships.  It's clearly a net money winner for their government.  Need the money?  Then just increase the per person port fee by $40 and say it's related to coordination with the cruise lines to ensure proper testing and vaccination verification is done at the embarkation pier.   

• Like 3

I'm in the process of filling in the Bermuda form for our June 12 trip. What are folks using when answering "Contact number while in Bermuda"?  It's a mandatory data field and seems to require a phone number rather than just saying "Norwegian Joy".  Thx...

4 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'm in the process of filling in the Bermuda form for our June 12 trip. What are folks using when answering "Contact number while in Bermuda"?  It's a mandatory data field and seems to require a phone number rather than just saying "Norwegian Joy".  Thx...

IMO, more red tape when completing forms - useless info that no one will ever use. I just put my home # so the field would be populated. Can't imagine why it would matter at all.

4 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

IMO, more red tape when completing forms - useless info that no one will ever use. I just put my home # so the field would be populated. Can't imagine why it would matter at all.

Technically, the two best options in answering "Contact number while in Bermuda" will be the ship's phone number or my cell #, even if our cell phones will be locked in the safe for the duration of the trip.  I guess I'll try to dig up the Joy's phone details.

Just now, lx200gps said:

Technically, the two best options in answering "Contact number while in Bermuda" will be the ship's phone number or my cell #, even if our cell phones will be locked in the safe for the duration of the trip.  I guess I'll try to dig up the Joy's phone details.

You are very diligent! Since I cannot answer my landline or cell there, that wasn't my concern. The govt. knows which ship you are on, anyway. We are sailing Sunday and taking the test is my urgency now. Major hassle for all for no reason. I hope your cruise goes well. The Joy (my name!) will be there when we are there next week.

5 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

You are very diligent! Since I cannot answer my landline or cell there, that wasn't my concern. The govt. knows which ship you are on, anyway. We are sailing Sunday and taking the test is my urgency now. Major hassle for all for no reason. I hope your cruise goes well. The Joy (my name!) will be there when we are there next week.

As you say, they will certainly know where we are staying, as the ship details are all over the application, so I don't mind using the cell #. We shouldn't have any problems with the test, we can get one near here on the 10th, submit it to Bermuda immediately, and board the Joy on the 12th. AFAIK, they are now letting folks board in Manhattan even if they haven't yet received the final Bermuda approval, but I expect no problems having our final approval in hand at the time of boarding. Getting worried about the seeming explosion of COVID cases on these ships, but at least were driving down and don't have to worry about flying.

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

As you say, they will certainly know where we are staying, as the ship details are all over the application, so I don't mind using the cell #. We shouldn't have any problems with the test, we can get one near here on the 10th, submit it to Bermuda immediately, and board the Joy on the 12th. AFAIK, they are now letting folks board in Manhattan even if they haven't yet received the final Bermuda approval, but I expect no problems having our final approval in hand at the time of boarding. Getting worried about the seeming explosion of COVID cases on these ships, but at least were driving down and don't have to worry about flying.

Nice that you can get a test nearby. We are doing the online proctored test, and hope it goes well. There are some places that are pricey with long waits if that does not work out. We did it for a Bahamas cruise on RCCL late March, to which we drove. That was only 65% capacity.

We got a second booster several weeks ago, and are going down on a charter bus with older folks who cannot do this computer stuff on their own. So the poor TA, who is actually out of business, is doing it for a few dozen people and trying to coordinate it. CCL told us if we do not have a TA, we cannot board. The first season's cruise to Bermuda on the Pearl was a real mess, with passengers waiting at the port for several hours for approval. Then they had bad weather and cut the Bermuda port short, with only one overnight.

We will definitely have masks if we need them. We are still one of the very few to wear them in stores, etc. here. No biggie for us to shop with one on for a bit, as I would rather take precautions. Our area has a low rate of vax, and the highest death rate per capita in the state.

Hi quick question.   We're booked on NCL Joy for this Sunday 5/22.   I have a question about the past cruises and Bermuda form.  Are NCL and Bermuda going to require a second test on the ship in order to enter the island?   Or is the test immediately before the cruise used for Bermuda entry also?  According to the NCL web page, they will be testing us on the ship...

"Where Bermuda is not the first port of call, or if the ship takes longer than 4 days to arrive in Bermuda, all guests, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to take an additional antigen or PCR test onboard no more than 2 days prior to disembarking in Bermuda. This test will be paid for and administered by our onboard medical team."

The 5/22 cruise goes to Norfolk first, implying they will then test us onboard after Norfolk and before entry to Bermuda.

My wife, kids and I are fully vaccinated and boosted, & I don't mind testing before getting onto the ship. But if you are asymptomatic and happen to test positive on the ship, they basically quarantine you, locking you up in a cabin and ending your vacation.   I have no problem not getting on the ship I test positive before the ship departs, but getting tested after boarding when you're not sick and then getting locked up is different. Not to mention you paid $40x4 people so you could possibly get denied entry and then locked up.  Nuts.

I'm not sure I want to risk getting quarantined after the fact due to the second Bermuda test.  

Edited by austinLVFR

8 hours ago, austinLVFR said:

Hi quick question.   We're booked on NCL Joy for this Sunday 5/22.   I have a question about the past cruises and Bermuda form.  Are NCL and Bermuda going to require a second test on the ship in order to enter the island?   Or is the test immediately before the cruise used for Bermuda entry also?  According to the NCL web page, they will be testing us on the ship...

"Where Bermuda is not the first port of call, or if the ship takes longer than 4 days to arrive in Bermuda, all guests, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to take an additional antigen or PCR test onboard no more than 2 days prior to disembarking in Bermuda. This test will be paid for and administered by our onboard medical team."

The 5/22 cruise goes to Norfolk first, implying they will then test us onboard after Norfolk and before entry to Bermuda.

My wife, kids and I are fully vaccinated and boosted, & I don't mind testing before getting onto the ship. But if you are asymptomatic and happen to test positive on the ship, they basically quarantine you, locking you up in a cabin and ending your vacation.   I have no problem not getting on the ship I test positive before the ship departs, but getting tested after boarding when you're not sick and then getting locked up is different. Not to mention you paid $40x4 people so you could possibly get denied entry and then locked up.  Nuts.

I'm not sure I want to risk getting quarantined after the fact due to the second Bermuda test.  

I'd suggest you ask on the NCL board about recent experiences, but based on earlier reports if you did not disembark in Nofolk you weren't retested. 

10 hours ago, austinLVFR said:

My understanding is that if you don't get off the ship in Norfolk then you won't be tested. With that said, I can't see why anyone would bother getting off in Norfolk.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

My understanding is that if you don't get off the ship in Norfolk then you won't be tested. With that said, I can't see why anyone would bother getting off in Norfolk.

That is correct, unfortunately. Even though on our cruise Bermuda is the only stop, this really is punitive to those that have other stops prior to Bermuda. It is basically sabotaging the rest of your vacation. This would also be harmful to the cruise lines, as many of those that choose not to disembark in other ports will not partake in their excursions. This Bermuda policy is causing a lot of stress, aggravation, and ill will towards the destination. And one cannot cancel their cruise because of this, because it is too late in most cases.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Norfolk must have something to offer or else why would be on the itinerary. I have never been so normaly I would check out a new destination. I definitely would not get off though if it meant I would not be tested. Other cruise lines are changing their schedule.  Celebrity for example. What Celebrity is doing is a cluster F. The ships have to tender part of their time in Bermuda.  If don't understand why they are not telling passengers they can avoid the test by not gettin off in Newport if that is a solution. I book Bermuda cruises to go to Bermuda. I don't want these other ports that cruise lines are adding.

6 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

That is correct, unfortunately. Even though on our cruise Bermuda is the only stop, this really is punitive to those that have other stops prior to Bermuda. It is basically sabotaging the rest of your vacation. This would also be harmful to the cruise lines, as many of those that choose not to disembark in other ports will not partake in their excursions. This Bermuda policy is causing a lot of stress, aggravation, and ill will towards the destination. And one cannot cancel their cruise because of this, because it is too late in most cases.

Celebrity's solution to me is mind boggling. Passengers will now have to tender part of the time in Bermuda. Besides the hassle of tendering the additional ship in port will increase congestion. Newport is interesting one time but it is a tender port and does not need to be on a Bermuda itinerary. 

Carefully reading the NCL website for requirements to enter Bermuda, it says that UNVACCINATED adults need to take PCR test 4 days before while VACCINATED adults are required to take an antigen test 2 days before.  

Has anyone who is fully vaccinated done the PCR test four days prior? and did it work??

Thanks!