Beware bermuda

sauna director

We just booked a10 night cruise to Bermuda on Celebrity Summit (which we love). After the purchase was done, we received an Email telling us that we needed

a "Bermuda visa" for another $40 each to go ashore. We asked Celebrity if we needed the visa if we did not go ashore and were told "yes, you must have it".

This requires additional jumping through hoops - not fun - and there is no refund for a cancellation. Bayonne offers other ports of call on both Celebrity and RCL.

I recommend other cruises.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, sauna director said:

We just booked a10 night cruise to Bermuda on Celebrity Summit (which we love). After the purchase was done, we received an Email telling us that we needed

a "Bermuda visa" for another $40 each to go ashore. We asked Celebrity if we needed the visa if we did not go ashore and were told "yes, you must have it".

This requires additional jumping through hoops - not fun - and there is no refund for a cancellation. Bayonne offers other ports of call on both Celebrity and RCL.

I recommend other cruises.

80.00 less we’ll spend on shore .

• Haha 4

This is a Covid related measure that has been put in place by Bermuda with the restart for travelers visiting there.  It did not exist pre-pandemic and likely will be lifted eventually.  

IMO it is not that difficult of a process for those wishing to visit Bermuda and is just an additional testing verification level required by that country with that already required by most cruise lines in order to cruise.  Just an individual decision.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A quick search on Google, or indeed here on CC, before booking your cruise would have told you about the Bermuda requirements.

It's really no different to anyone wanting to visit the United States having to pay to take a covid test, then complete an online form, before being allowed to fly.  In addition to the usual ESTA and the fee for that, of course. 

Why is it that so many Americans object to other countries imposing such requirements when their own country does the same?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

Why is it that so many Americans object to other countries imposing such requirements when their own country does the same?

It’s astonishing, isn’t it? And I say that as an American. Just wait until more folks learn about the new ETIAS.  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Lucky you. Celebrity told you about the Bermuda ETA.  I am booked and haven’t received any notification. Nor is there anything on Celebrity website announcing this requirement. I know about it because I read these boards and was originally looking into flying into Bermuda. Flying in presents another set of problems.  In the scheme of things, another $80 isn’t a big deal.  I still am at a loss about how the required testing will occur. Need a Covid test 2 days prior to docking in Bermuda. It has to happen on the ship.  That puts everyone on my cruise in the same boat. Celebrity has to make this happen or nobody can enter Bermuda.  My cruise is 5 weeks out. If Celebrity doesn’t send out notifications to all guests on Bermuda cruises, there will be people arriving at Bayonne without an ETA.  It happened on another cruise line and they wouldn’t board anyone who didn’t have the ETA. Hope that everyone is onboard.  Maybe Celebrity is hoping that Bermuda drops the ETA.  It’s unclear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To redtravel:

I just read on these boards that I think it was NCL negotiated that the negative Covid test used to board would be sufficient for the Bermuda requirement,  maybe Celebrity is working out the same deal.  I believe I will be on the same cruise as you,

Edited by Staci0615
Correction of post
  • Like 1

Is it me or what, when I read about requirements for travel in other places I almost always do some additional research to determine if it applies to me or not.

If the requirements are too onerous, then I recommend that we cancel and go elsewhere when or where the 'requirements' to entry are not so taxing, physically and mentally. Issue solved.

We are on a Bermuda sailing in May and have applied for our TA and do wonder how we are to take care of the testing... since Bermuda is our second stop on the third day of the sailing.

Being mindful and forward thinking, I will opt to bring along an emed or similar kit to test on-board just in case X does not test us before arrival, which has to be done in our sailings' case the second night of the sailing.

Most of our Roll Call has done likewise.

bon voyage

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Staci0615 said:

I just read on these boards that I think it was NCL negotiated that the negative Covid test used to board would be sufficient for the Bermuda requirement,  maybe Celebrity is working out the same deal.  I believe I will be on the same cruise as you,

Is Bermuda the first stop within one (1) of departure for this sailing???

This makes a difference, as well.

In health and bon voyage

Visitors will be granted entry for up to 90 days (three months) without a visa. Bermuda requires that you have adequate unused pages in your passport. This allows for any necessary stamps upon arrival and departure.

https://www.bermudiana.com/blog/bermuda-visa-requirements-for-us-citizens

you will need to fill a travel authorization

https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

It’s another tax you pay whether you get off the ship in bermuda or not. We decided not to book the bermuda sailing because of it. 

I don't see it as a tax, but as a processing fee for the current Covid related entry requirements to that country.  As mentioned, It didn't exist pre-pandemic and very well may be lifted at some point in the future.  A tax does not typically function in that manner.  And IMO, an additional $40 pp relative to the total expenditure of traveling there would not be enough for me to change my mind about going there if that is my desired travel destination.  Again, just my opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Is it me or what, when I read about requirements for travel in other places I almost always do some additional research to determine if it applies to me or not.

If the requirements are too onerous, then I recommend that we cancel and go elsewhere when or where the 'requirements' to entry are not so taxing, physically and mentally. Issue solved.

We are on a Bermuda sailing in May and have applied for our TA and do wonder how we are to take care of the testing... since Bermuda is our second stop on the third day of the sailing.

Being mindful and forward thinking, I will opt to bring along an emed or similar kit to test on-board just in case X does not test us before arrival, which has to be done in our sailings' case the second night of the sailing.

Most of our Roll Call has done likewise.

bon voyage

I am doing Italy, Greece, Turkey in September.  Not 100% sure of requirements yet because we expect they might change.  Seems bringing our own test kits might be the smart thing to do.  If that is allowed.

• Like 3

The $40pp wasn't enough to make us choose another cruise. We've had friends on sailings since the restart that had itinerary changes or extra sea days when Caribbean islands changed their entry requirements during the omicron surge. I'd much rather pay extra and only visit one island with whatever entry requirements stated in advance.

I agree that X should be more communicative about the requirements. But we don't sail for two months and things could change---including the test two days before arrival if X can negotiate substituting the pre-boarding test. It's also possible for things to change in the Caribbean before sailing for those going there by ship and new fees could pop up. It's the added cost and hassle of sailing right now and we'd rather roll with it than sweat it or not sail.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't see it as a tax, but as a processing fee for the current Covid related entry requirements to that country.  As mentioned, It didn't exist pre-pandemic and very well may be lifted at some point in the future.  A tax does not typically function in that manner.  And IMO, an additional $40 pp relative to the total expenditure of traveling there would not be enough for me to change my mind about going there if that is my desired travel destination.  Again, just my opinion.

Correct it is a fee, NOT a tax.  If I sail into a port and decide I don't want to get off the ship, could I request not to pay the port fees for that location.  No I cannot and should not be allowed to.  If one does not like, just don't go.  We all need to do our own research and not totally rely on these boards or the cruise line to make every single decision for us.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I am doing Italy, Greece, Turkey in September.  Not 100% sure of requirements yet because we expect they might change.  Seems bringing our own test kits might be the smart thing to do.  If that is allowed.

Z - Yes, they are allowed. You may want to test intermittently on-board as well just in case so you can prepare for the next phase of your sailing if +... hopefully not.

Note: the tests you bring may not pass muster in terms of any required testing to enter a country or port or return to the U.S..

In health and bon voyage

I'm on the June 2 sailing.  I'm fine with the $40  ETA.  I think it's going to be here for a while.  Bermuda has been ultra conservative when it comes to COVID protocols.  Understandable given there's one hospital for the whole island supposedly.  I personally think it's a little too strict given that very few vaccinated people are getting really sick, but it's not my call.  And let's be honest, it doesn't cost $40 to process each one, so there is some money to be made here.

I"m more concerned about a possible itinerary change, becoming a 3rd ship in Bermuda that needs to tender.  I have electric vehicle booked which I'll lose because I doubt it will be available on the changed dates should that happen.  I guess we'll have to make it work if that's the case.

If the itinerary stays the same, there's also potential problems with the requirement for another test onboard before we get to Bermuda.  Is there a chance that a decent number of passengers could test positive and Bermuda decides to not let us dock?    that would really suck.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't see it as a tax, but as a processing fee for the current Covid related entry requirements to that country.  As mentioned, It didn't exist pre-pandemic

Exactly right.  And that country is a small island with limited medical resources. The amount of whining here on the Celebrity board is incredible. Last fall, when we cruised to Bermuda on NCL, the fee for the Bermuda TA was $75.  And we were required to take a PCR test (pricey) four days before embarkation, there was no option to take a rapid antigen test.

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last October we were 3 on a ship to Bermuda. 3 PCR tests were $750 and the Bermuda fee was $225 - $975 total. Worth every dollar to visit such a beautiful place during a pandemic. Doing it again in June, hopefully. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Exactly right.  And that country is a small island with limited medical resources. The amount of whining here on the Celebrity board is incredible. Last fall, when we cruised to Bermuda on NCL, the fee for the Bermuda TA was $75.  And we were required to take a PCR test (pricey) four days before embarkation, there was no option to take a rapid antigen. 

Now it's $40 and you can take rapid antigen within 48 hours. 

Not quite limited medical resources but we still have people who are unvaccinated here on island, and since it's a small island with 65K people, closed knit, and it's very easy to pass the virus around. There is still mask mandate here in some places. Unvaccinated people can be at great risk of being very gravely ill, sometimes fatally, if they contract covid.

By the way, the party of us 4, went to Miami and FL, and went on a cruise last month ... came home not feeling too good and a couple of days we all test positive and had to quarantine for a couple of weeks. No mask mandate in FL and on ship. We all are double vaxxed and boostered but still got covid. Mild cases, fortunately. And we wore masks on plane and went straight home from airport, and hadn't been out which meant we didn't expose to anybody. 

We, locals, still have to apply and pay $40 to BTA to fly back home. This applies to everyone - locals and visitors coming to Bermuda, by air or by ship. If you don't have approved BTA, then you can't board the ship or plane to Bermuda.

Now that the tourist and cruise season is in full swing and increasing, Bermuda need to be careful!

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2