Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

1 hour ago, bananavan said:

I am asking a question here for the couple stranded in Dublin. 
Does anyone know how they might get the Certificate of Recovery needed in their case. 
I realize that this is not considered cruise related, except they certainly had Covid as result of the cruise on the Edge. 
Obviously developed it prior to disembarkation and were incubating it then. 
I can only imagine that this is a problem across the industry right now. 
I do wish that the US Government would put a little effort into considering how they are going to repatriate us old b@$t@rd$. 
Just when we thought it was safe to get back into the water, so to speak. 
Health update: 
My husband chose to stay in quarantine with me. He has finished his sentence and has tested negative. 
I have never slept as long as I have in the past two days. 
The crew continue to take unbelievable care of us. 
We have no complaints, other than it would really be nice if the Captain could change his parking style. 
Would it be too much to ask to have the sick bay passengers aligned to the Port side? Our view is generally pretty boring. (I am totally kidding, we are truly blessed no matter where we are looking out. ) 

When I was in quarantine in Mexico I reached out on a facebook group and found a doctor that would make a house call to write our letters of recovery. Social media is the friend of the stranded. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bananavan said:

Does anyone know how they might get the Certificate of Recovery needed in their case. 

It's pretty easy.   I got one yesterday.   It has turned into a money making opportunity for many.   

Just Google - Covid Recovery Certificate

Just send in a Copy of you Passport and a PCR or Antigen Test Results showing when and where you tested Positive.    Most sites require you to wait 10 days from initial positive results as that is what the U.S. requires, but have seen some as early as 5 days.    You pay the fee 29 Pounds to 99 Pounds and you receive your certificate between 15 minutes to 1 day from submission (Often depending on price paid).  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Tony UK said:

Aimed at the original poster who recommended a quaratine ship.....Seriously though it is the US rules causing the issue for their own citizens. Either change the rules or find a way for people to get home easily and self quarantine there.

What do you think about the idea of flying to Canada/Mexico and driving over the boarder?  We know there is no testing at the border.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bananavan said:

I realize that this is not considered cruise related, except they certainly had Covid as result of the cruise on the Edge. 
Obviously developed it prior to disembarkation and were incubating it then. 
I can only imagine that this is a problem across the industry right now. 
I do wish that the US Government would put a little effort into considering how they are going to repatriate us old b@$t@rd$. 
Just when we thought it was safe to get back into the water, so to speak. 
Health update: 
My husband chose to stay in quarantine with me. He has finished his sentence and has tested negative. 
I have never slept as long as I have in the past two days. 
The crew continue to take unbelievable care of us. 
We have no complaints, other than it would really be nice if the Captain could change his parking style. 
Would it be too much to ask to have the sick bay passengers aligned to the Port side? Our view is generally pretty boring. (I am totally kidding, we are truly blessed no matter where we are looking out. ) 

Not surprised you are sleeping a lot, you must have been completely spent! Now this is heading toeards a conclusion for you both take advantage of the sleep and being with your husband. You have helped inform so very many people so they can be better prepared for travel. Can I thank you on their behalf.

Sleep well xx

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, renji said:

What do you think about the idea of flying to Canada/Mexico and driving over the boarder?  We know there is no testing at the border.

That is our backup plan when we disembark Alaska cruise in Vancouver in July. One way car rentals are hard to find, but could take train or bus across border to Bellingham Wa airport (55 miles)or Seattle (160 miles)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, renji said:

And wait for Canada to change its rules again? 
No thank you. 
We are in our 70s. This is not a game to be played. They own the cards. And the deck is stacked against us. 
We book Business class air fare with as few changes as possible. Throwing in new countries to add to the confusion is not something we are comfortable with. 

We are just fortunate that we do not have children waiting for us to return to care for them or jobs that require attendance. 
The purpose of my postings is to alert others to the possibilities of testing positive for Covid in European waters. 

Edited by bananavan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, renji said:

One-way rental across the border?

Go online, try poking in YVR for pickup and anyplace in Washington (e.g., BLI) for drop off and see what the rental car agencies think of your attempts!

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Go online, try poking in YVR for pickup and anyplace in Washington (e.g., BLI) for drop off and see what the rental car agencies think of your attempts!

Yep. Options are pretty much bus, train or expensive limo.

No flaming although I think I may be asking for it … I just honestly don’t know why people insist on cruising with embarkation/disembarkation ports outside of their own country and so far from home during CoVid.  We all know the risks of isolation / quarantine and accept that risk when we book these cruises.  Yet somehow, travelers are taken by surprise when they test positive and are stuck in quarantine in someplace they’d rather not be, far far from home.  We’ve cruised a quite a but since the restart and have always had a back up plan in place .. rental car, place to quarantine, alternative transportation, healthy snacks in our luggage, etc.  
Yes, we’ve disembarked once in Canada and knew the risks.  We were willing to take said risks.  And again, we had a back up plan to get home without endangering others If we did test positive.  At these crazy times, perhaps we should all consider vacationing closer to home if we can’t endure the quarantine….Big ‘IF’!   Take extra medications and clean undergarments, some healthy snacks of choice for the room, download some books on the iPad, etc.  And have a back up plan in place to get home without relying on others to see you through the ordeal.  It’s wonderful that celebrity stepped up but we all accept the risks of travel during these crazy times.  Travel smartly and bon voyage to all!  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 19

Whenever someone prefaces with a "No flaming" etc, you should be  prepared to get burned. 
Good for you. 
Good for you that you are so much more intelligent and better prepared than those of us caught up in the rules that changed once again on May 1. 
Good for you that you pack 29 pair of underwear, in case you test positive on Day 8, when you have not even seen land since the onset. and will potentially not be permitted to leave Italy until the 21 day quarantine period. 
Good for you that you did not take a transatlantic that ended in Rome. 
Now, could you please give me the numbers for the Poweball later this week? 
The Remedial Empathy classes are filling fast. Please sign up before it is too late. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, bananavan said:

Whenever someone prefaces with a "No flaming" etc, you should be  prepared to get burned. 
Good for you. 
Good for you that you are so much more intelligent and better prepared than those of us caught up in the rules that changed once again on May 1. 
Good for you that you pack 29 pair of underwear, in case you test positive on Day 8, when you have not even seen land since the onset. and will potentially not be permitted to leave Italy until the 21 day quarantine period. 
The Remedial Empathy classes are filling fast. Please sign up before it is too late. 

Exactly banavan!   Smarty pants to the rescue…thanks for dropping in late to give us your wisdom.  CR you opened the door!  Yes Cruise Raider Powerball numbers please!  

Edited by 360Guy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bananavan said:

Good for you. 

Really, she does not require empathy class. We have lived with Covid for 2+ years. We all know and assume the risk of travel as it is today and especially if we are traveling across the globe with thousands of people we can come in contact directly or passively thru others. May 1st changes or not, we assume the risk of travel. I actually had empathy for the situation till you decided that common sense deserves a nasty attack. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Exactly banavan!   Smarty pants to the rescue…thanks for dropping in late to give us your wisdom.  CR you opened the door!  Yes Cruise Raider Powerball numbers please!  

9 hours ago, bananavan said:

Good for you. 

Well, hopefully my ‘smarty pants’ comment will save someone from an unfortunate experience. Good old fashioned planning, solid decision making and preparation are always in vogue, although my comments may seem lack even a silver of empathy.  

And if we could all so easily predict the power ball numbers as easily as we could contract CoVid, we would all have more money in our pockets.  
Travel safe everyone … 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, canderson said:

There is an extreme shortage of rentals cars in Canada. The agencies sold off most of their cars early covid.  Cannot even get a car now for time in summer. 2 months ago they were going for over $1000 a week

• Like 1

I appreciate Cruise Raider's common sense tactics.   I would not have thought to take along some "healthier room snacks" for quarantine.  One thing that cruiseships lack are nuts and dried fruit.  Also not a bad idea to stock up on some bottled water and keep in the room just in case you do become ill.

A great reminder about medicines, as well!  DH and I always travel with an extra days worth of medication in case of flight delay when in the U.S. area.  A few days worth if traveling over seas.  However, I am not sure we would have thought to carry a quarantine supply until seeing the suggestion.

bananavan - Sorry to read about your predicament.  Glad Celebrity came to your rescue.  You were lucky!  Best wishes on getting well and returning home.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's pretty easy.   I got one yesterday.   It has turned into a money making opportunity for many.   

Just Google - Covid Recovery Certificate

Just send in a Copy of you Passport and a PCR or Antigen Test Results showing when and where you tested Positive.    Most sites require you to wait 10 days from initial positive results as that is what the U.S. requires, but have seen some as early as 5 days.    You pay the fee 29 Pounds to 99 Pounds and you receive your certificate between 15 minutes to 1 day from submission (Often depending on price paid).  

Just a word of advice - you should not have to share your passport copy with anyone for this type of services.  Please be very careful with your passport information, especially when travelling internationally. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bananavan said:

Good for you. 

I feel you.

A person can be as prepared as they want to be. But when the words positive Covid test come up and you are squirreled away to a place where your world becomes very limited, nothing prepares a person for that. 

I hope you aren't feeling too bad and that your escape comes soon.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Just a word of advice - you should not have to share your passport copy with anyone for this type of services.  Please be very careful with your passport information, especially when travelling internationally. 

FYI I speak from personal experience in London with the provider.  If you wanted a recovery certificate you were required to provide a copy of your passport and the Celebrity lab report…that also had your passport number as a data element.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 360Guy said:

FYI I speak from personal experience in London with the provider.  If you wanted a recovery certificate you were required to provide a copy of your passport and the Celebrity lab report…that also had your passport number as a data element.

Agree -- All the providers I contacted needed a copy of your Passport and a Positive Covid Test result.   I used the one Celebrity gave us and used the Navica tested for Iain's (he tested the day after)

So the reality was you either send a copy or you don't get one.   The certiicate includes you PP number on it for the Airline to match up on checkin

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree -- All the providers I contacted needed a copy of your Passport and a Positive Covid Test result.   I used the one Celebrity gave us and used the Navica tested for Iain's (he tested the day after)

So the reality was you either send a copy or you don't get one.   The certiicate includes you PP number on it for the Airline to match up on checkin

When I was in my early 20s and giving birth to my kids I learned that I had lost all expectation of privacy from the medical staff.  I swear I showed my "never minds" to a television installation man 
That is what this damn Covid has done as well. 
If you want to get home, you will show whatever is required to get there . (Except your "never Minds" 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Well, hopefully my ‘smarty pants’ comment will save someone from an unfortunate experience. Good old fashioned planning, solid decision making and preparation are always in vogue, although my comments may seem lack even a silver of empathy.  

And if we could all so easily predict the power ball numbers as easily as we could contract CoVid, we would all have more money in our pockets.  
Travel safe everyone … 

So easily stated from the comfort of one's own abode. 
Tell me how things will work out for you when rules  change part way through your next journey. 
This Transatlantic season has been unlike any others. 
This is true for every curiseline that left the USA to go to Europe this year. 
May 1 was a real eye opener as to the way that Celebrity handled things. 
I was told repeatedly that there were conference calls going on between Head office and our ship as we cruised across. And given the time difference that is problematic. 
And if you had  inside knowledge of what Italy planned to do after may 1st then you were certainly very quiet about it. 
I would like to believe that MY INFORMATION was helpful in preventing a bad situation for others. 
Your comments simply prove that you are probably avoided at parties. And that was before social distancing. 
Thank you for your input. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Magellan321 said:

Really, she does not require empathy class. We have lived with Covid for 2+ years. We all know and assume the risk of travel as it is today and especially if we are traveling across the globe with thousands of people we can come in contact directly or passively thru others. May 1st changes or not, we assume the risk of travel. I actually had empathy for the situation till you decided that common sense deserves a nasty attack. 

I can appreciate your commentary. 
Obviously you are not presently caught up in this situation yourself and you should be grateful that you are not. 

We assumed the risk of travel. 
We are simply stating the reality that is not found elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were recently stranded in Amsterdam due to me testing positive the day before our flight home. I contacted QuickMDdotcom (was recommended by our Rivercruise line) to arrange for a Certificate of Recovery letter. I did not have to provide my passport number and I received the letter via email within 12 hours of speaking to a doctor (doctor was located in California).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, STLCRUISIN said:

We were recently stranded in Amsterdam due to me testing positive the day before our flight home. I contacted QuickMDdotcom (was recommended by our Rivercruise line) to arrange for a Certificate of Recovery letter. I did not have to provide my passport number and I received the letter via email within 12 hours of speaking to a doctor (doctor was located in California).

Did you have to wait several days or did you get it right away?