Is Royal Too Complicated For Newbies

I am Diamond Plus with Royal and think I know the system well. 

But is it just me or is Royal Caribbean too complicated for the new cruiser from Oz?

Changing currency.

Not in AUD. 

Not being able to book drink packages and wifi when at the travel agent.

The sales on drink packages and cruise excursions are too complicated.

Confusion on gratuities. 

Not Knowing the Theme Nights before the cruise.  

The Carnival Cruise Companies seem to be so much simpler in some of these items. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, springaussie said:

But is it just me or is Royal Caribbean too complicated for the new cruiser from Oz?

Changing currency.

Not in AUD. 

Confusion on gratuities. 

The Carnival Cruise Companies seem to be so much simpler in some of these items. 

Yeah, probably.

When we were booking our first cruise, the $US was a deterrent, so we booked in $AU with Princess. It can't have been too much of a turnoff though, as our second was with Royal a year later, just as our dollar was tumbling with the GFC. For anyone concerned about drink package prices, we paid over $AU11 per beer back then because of that.

I think a lot of the complication comes from pre-purchasing of onboard services. I found it a lot easier when there was no drink packages, you had to go to the shore tour desk to book tours, and to the MDR after boarding to book specialty restaurants. I find auto gratuities a whole lot easier than carrying cash to put into envelopes.

When it comes to simple though, does Royal make you do all of your pre-cruise check-in via a temperamental app? It will be great when we get to check-in, but boy has it created some extra complexity.

Some may find it complicated, haven’t done Caribbean but plenty of other cruises with those issues. My biggest issue with Royal is the never ending price changes on drinks etc

It’s part of the fun being totally confused until you get the bill, then it becomes anger.

Hey @springaussie, can you remember if  the 18% is included in onboard purchases or are they added?
I had a discussion with someone the other day about the drinks package, I am sure the drinks package bought before the cruise doesn’t have gratuity but if you buy as you go there’s 18% ontop of the drink price.

To be honest, I think ANY cruise line can feel intimidating to people who have never cruised before. If you have a bit of cruising experience, then it's just a matter of figuring out what a new line does that's comparable to what you're used to.

For myself for example, I have done 7 cruises with various lines (mostly Princess) and looking to do our first RCL next year. I haven't found it that complicated at all, I just understand that every line is a bit different, but they are honestly more similar than different.

The solution to most of those issues is to book via either an Australian travel agent, or via RC's Australian website. That way, everything is in AUD and the gratuities are included.

As for the changing prices, I actually find that a bit of fun. Ignore what RC are saying the savings are and just buy things at a price you are happy with. If the price drops after that, you can always cancel your purchase and rebook at the lower price.

It doesn’t worry me not being in Aus dollars. Though when you book on the Aus site you are charged a currency conversion fee as it’s processed in US dollars. I always use my 28 Degrees card. We don’t dress up for theme nights

Edited by cruisine21
  • Like 1

We are booked on RCL in Novemeber out of Brisbane (if it goes) and are wondering about dining times. We were going to elect for My Time dining but looking at it the earliest is 7pm. Is this usual and does anyone know what set dining times are.

Thanks

5 hours ago, springaussie said:

Changing currency.

Not in AUD. 

Confusion on gratuities. 

Agreed, and it is down to greed, taking as much of the money as they can off the unsuspecting.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

We are booked on RCL in Novemeber out of Brisbane (if it goes) and are wondering about dining times. We were going to elect for My Time dining but looking at it the earliest is 7pm. Is this usual and does anyone know what set dining times are.

Thanks

Normally 5.30 and 8 or (6 and 8.30) for the ser dining times.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

We were going to elect for My Time dining but looking at it the earliest is 7pm. Is this usual and does anyone know what set dining times are.

Thanks

I don’t eat in the main restaurant but My Time dining is what it says.To be honest I don’t know how it works but I think you can book any time.

You will be on quantum and I don’t like the dining room,no windows and gloomy ,right down in the bottom of the ship.

I eat in the solarium,the buffet,specialty restaurants, or room service .

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

When it comes to simple though, does Royal make you do all of your pre-cruise check-in via a temperamental app? It will be great when we get to check-in, but boy has it created some extra complexity.

I never use apps. I do check-ins on-line and RCI is no more complicated than the others.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I never use apps. I do check-ins on-line and RCI is no more complicated than the others.

Online check-ins are indeed easy. Unless I want to line up to get into the terminal, P&O & Princess are now requiring apps. That was in my comparison - Royal is now less complicated than those Carnival brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s part of the fun being totally confused until you get the bill, then it becomes anger.

Hey @springaussie, can you remember if  the 18% is included in onboard purchases or are they added?
I had a discussion with someone the other day about the drinks package, I am sure the drinks package bought before the cruise doesn’t have gratuity but if you buy as you go there’s 18% ontop of the drink price.

I thought it was only added as extra overseas.

Not in Australia. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Normally 5.30 and 8 or (6 and 8.30) for the ser dining times.

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t eat in the main restaurant but My Time dining is what it says.To be honest I don’t know how it works but I think you can book any time.

You will be on quantum and I don’t like the dining room,no windows and gloomy ,right down in the bottom of the ship.

I eat in the solarium,the buffet,specialty restaurants, or room service .

Thanks for your replies. I will see if I can find out fixed dining times but had been hoping for slightly earlier My Time dining.

If dining room is as gloomy as Chilliburn says might have to eat elsewhere which I am happy to do but DH tends to like main dining room.

We have been on RCL out of Southampton in 2015 but don't recall our dining arrangements apart from eating in the main dining room.

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I haven't  been on Quantam but have been on numerous  Royal ships, Ovation, Spectrum, Voyager and Explorer none of which had  gloomy MDRs.

We have been on a few RC Ships and never had a gloomy MDR but we did enjoy the open high ceiling layout of the Radiance and Voyager/ Mariner more than the Ovation MDR’s

In saying that when we were on the Ovation we only had a meal in the MDR once as we bought the meal deal at JO and the steak place etc.

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

I thought it was only added as extra overseas.

Not in Australia. 

It was quite a while ago on Rhapsody and early days of Radiance. We noticed that a couple of bars had cheaper drinks than the others - until we got the chit and the tax was added on top. The dearer bars included the gratuity. We haven't noticed this since Radiance's first season, so as far as I am aware, the bar pricing includes gratuities here.

8 hours ago, valantine80 said:

Thanks

530 pm and your table is ready and same waiter's. Ships Time Dining is were you wait for next available table. Have never seen no line up for it .

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-is-my-time-dining

I have only done 1, RCL cruise, didn't get the Drinks package, but always trying to convert what I pay for a drink or excursions back into Australian. Comparing prices to what I have paid on P&O but mainly Carnival.. Yes it's one of the main things why I haven't been back to RCL, plus didn't like the fellow passengers, to upper class (stuck-up) for my liking..

Yes about the Theme nights. P&O are iconic with Gatsby & Bianco. Carnival with Island & especially 80's Rock'n'Glow..

I agree with MDR more cruises seem to want Anytime now.

9 hours ago, valantine80 said:

Thanks for your replies. I will see if I can find out fixed dining times but had been hoping for slightly earlier My Time dining.

If dining room is as gloomy as Chilliburn says might have to eat elsewhere which I am happy to do but DH tends to like main dining room.

We have been on RCL out of Southampton in 2015 but don't recall our dining arrangements apart from eating in the main dining room.

When I say gloomy,there’s no windows and no view.That’s my thoughts on quantum.

The solarium is nice and airy. You want to book that a couple of times.

The chef is right there and you can talk to him, he will cook something to order.
Try wonderland,it’s weird but very good. Jamie Italian has a outdoor dining area on deck.

We have always gone My time Dining on Royal, AnyTime Dining on Princess and Carnival,  Freestyle on NCL, Freedom Dining on P&O (UK),  Open Dining on P&O (Aust) or Select Dining on X. The only line we have done traditional  sittings have been HAL and Cunard where there was no option for us, we picked late seatings for those.

• 1 month later...

not at all.the whole USD thing for those of us who have only done P&O/Carnival in the past takes a while to get used to but other than that no issues.I notice they are relaxed with dress codes for the most part.I have for instance on smart casual nights turned up in active wear and nobody thought much of it.