Want to take MIL on her first cruise but....

CHuntMD

snoring!!!  and I don't think a privacy curtain will help.

So what are our options?  This will be a Alaska trip on the Millennium. 

Long time RCCL cruiser, first time on Celebrity.

Maybe a single inside across from a SR w/balcony?

CEH in MD 

8 hours ago, CHuntMD said:

snoring!!!  and I don't think a privacy curtain will help.

So what are our options?  This will be a Alaska trip on the Millennium. 

Long time RCCL cruiser, first time on Celebrity.

Maybe a single inside across from a SR w/balcony?

CEH in MD 

Or adjoining rooms?  I’m not sure the Millennium has single rooms, nor discounts for solos on their Alaska trips.  We had my MIL with us in a handicapped balcony and the space is tight. 

as for earplugs a friend recommended the wax type as they block more nois for her and don’t end up hurting. But, some snoring will indeed wake the dead! 

• Like 1

One more suggestion

Has MIL tried taking allergy meds?

I have seasonal allergies but nose doesnt drip so thought i didnt need allergy meds

and snored like a freight train

once i started taking allergy meds daily my snoring decreased dramatically and my asthma condition also improved dramatically

1 hour ago, Kiran said:

once i started taking allergy meds daily my snoring decreased dramatically

Same here. Rx nasal spray 2x per day and no more bruises from my wife elbowing me in the middle of the night 😄

• Haha 1

Book an inside cabin directly across from yours. Mid ship would be ideal. Your MIL can hang out in your cabin and deck and she  may enjoy having her own space, not feeling like her snoring is disrupting cabin mates’ sleep. Win win. And everyone is happy!

• Like 1

If price is an issue (and for most of us it is) I'd go with the good ear plugs for you, and maybe one of the over the counter and probably don't work well things for snoring.

But if she really snores that much- has she been tested for sleep apnea? It really can have serious consequences beyond just th snoring- leads to heart problems, etc. So perhaps a. sleep study which could result in a CPAP machine (easily carried o board) would be a major improvement for her health and for your sleep.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, RichYak said:

Same here. Rx nasal spray 2x per day and no more bruises from my wife elbowing me in the middle of the night 😄

Hey! It works!  I’ve tried it!  The elbow that is.  Hubby says he has a cpap that stops the bruising!  When he did his first test they told him they could hear him through 2 closed doors.  Wish I’d been there to confirm the DB.

• Like 1

A really good choice is Bose Sleep Buds.   They are not an ear plug or a noise generator.   They are a device that masks noises including snoring.  

I can STRONGLY RECOMMEND them and have been using them quite a bit with my snoring spouse.   I have tried every type of ear plug to not avail.   I believe it's the frequency of the snore more than the loudness. 

The are relatively expensive at about $180-200 but I would pay 3x the price.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tfred said:

Noise cancelling headphones with white noise.  Its the only way that actually works.  Bose is the choice 

I tried my iPod Plus with white noise and as I mentioned it may just be the frequency of Iain's snoring but even when cranked up the white sound they were ineffective.   I love them otherwise.  

I pulled out the Bose Sleep buds and I as back asleep in minutes.  

I'm a side sleeper so not sure how I would deal with the regular size headphones. 

On 5/3/2022 at 10:21 PM, CHuntMD said:

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into 2 cabins. Have a little unused discount with USAA.

CEH in MD

Another options might be a CS with two rooms depends on how it compares to two cabins.   I sometimes have to escape to the living room to get some sleep.  

On 5/3/2022 at 5:33 PM, bye-seaya said:

Book an inside cabin directly across from yours. Mid ship would be ideal. Your MIL can hang out in your cabin and deck and she  may enjoy having her own space, not feeling like her snoring is disrupting cabin mates’ sleep. Win win. And everyone is happy!

oh...I don't think mom would be happy with an inside, when you are in a balcony.  My mother and I are always in a balcony and my daughter next door in a balcony. Her cabin always costs more than us combined.... but that's just the cost of the cruise.  Alaska is so beautiful, and one of the few trips where being able to look out the balcony really makes a difference.