World cruise with children - royal caribbean

I know this is a new cruise from the royal Caribbean but I was wondering if any families are thinking of doing it . I’m worried our child will be the only one on board 😬 which would probably be ok for a while but but for the whole thing.. 

has anyone done a round the world cruise with children and it was fine? 

Most world cruises with other lines are done in segments so probably more chance of other kids with parents doing only one segment.  Saying that the majority of cruisers doing whole of the world cruise are generally in the more mature category, retired who can go away for this extended period.

I have done two half world cruises and have seen places I would never have gone to in any other way.

I think depending on ages of kids it would be a marvellous experience and so educational.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roxyan said:

I know this is a new cruise from the royal Caribbean but I was wondering if any families are thinking of doing it . I’m worried our child will be the only one on board 😬 which would probably be ok for a while but but for the whole thing.. 

has anyone done a round the world cruise with children and it was fine? 

Not so much a “new” cruise. Rather just existing segments sold as a single cruise (and as some multi-segment “grand voyages”). 
A specific number of cabins will be the target for world cruise sales and the rest will be filled by an ever-changing array of passengers.

With or without a kid, your major concern should be the quality of food and service (as well as the cabin amenities and sleep experience) for as many months as it will last. And, there are far better cruise lines that specialize in long cruises (where space and crew ratios as well as the quality of lectures/demonstrations/etc take on a whole new importance). You may want to also look at smaller ships that will give you a far better sense of home-away-from-home. Checkout Oceania. 

Previous comments about segments makes sense and may work in your favor as others have said.  Time of year could also be a factor as you will see more children during school break times.   In general I think RCI has a more exciting atmosphere.  That makes it a good choice for children. 

But you know, even with all that, for a lengthy "world cruise" I would still have the same worry as you about lack of playmates.  

Edited by ldubs

We've been attracted to world cruises but I'm always stopped by the idea that the whole experience could be a disaster.  If 'things' didn't go well in any one area ... uncomfortable cabin, ship mechanicals, mediocre food, awful 'neighbors' ... things that would easily be tolerated and/or 'fixed' on a two-week journey might just ruin the whole experience on a long cruise.  Maybe I'm waiting until we're too old to care?  As far as children, if they're easy-going and adaptable it could be mostly a positive experience.  But if the kids are hyper, high maintenance, or 'sensitive', it might be a long, expensive slog. 

I think lack of children would be a factor on any world cruise but if you are taking children, Royal Caribbean is the perfect choice.  Radiance Class ships are beautiful and despite a previous post from someone who has never been aboard, I can assure you the rooms are very nice & comfortable, and the service is excellent.  Regarding dining, I have no idea what the menu will be on this unique journey, so it's tough to have an opinion.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Regarding dining, I have no idea what the menu will be on this unique journey, so it's tough to have an opinion.  

The ATW menus will have same rotational menus as the included segments. That can be a real concern (should food be important to OP) if the Royal Caribbean menu rotation is less than the approx 3 week +\- found on cruise lines that do many multi-segment cruises.

I think it depends on your children ..you know them best

Would they be bored if they were the only children onboard?

As mentioned it depends on where/when the ships goes  there could be other children or maybe not

either way the crew will dote on them  as they miss their own families

RCL probably would have things for  them to enjoy  during sea days 

but it would be a wonderful experience for them

Have you ask them to participate in the planning??

Why are you settled on Royal Caribbean?  Yes, this is the first time they have offered a world cruise.  But you have two other local (to UK) cruise lines that often offer world cruises…P&O and Fred Olsen.  And yes, the other lines of Cunard and the premium and luxury lines.  EM

I was daydreaming the other day and started reading the Royal Caribbean World cruise roll call.  I'm pretty sure I read a few posters who were bringing their children.  Or maybe it was the Royal Caribbean general forum.  Either way why don't you head over there and ask this question.  I do hope you get to go, sounds fabulous!  

Here is the link to the Roll Call:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Why are you settled on Royal Caribbean?  Yes, this is the first time they have offered a world cruise.  But you have two other local (to UK) cruise lines that often offer world cruises…P&O and Fred Olsen.  And yes, the other lines of Cunard and the premium and luxury lines.  EM

The P&O world cruises are on adult only ships. And Fred Olsen are well known for the advanced age of their passengers - the last cruise line I would consider if I had children !

• Like 1

You don't mention the age of your child. But if, like most children, they rely on the internet (social media, entertainment, perhaps home schooling), keep in mind that on a world cruise there will be long periods where the ship probably will have poor reception/connectivity.  

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You don't mention the age of your child. But if, like most children, they rely on the internet (social media, entertainment, perhaps home schooling), keep in mind that on a world cruise there will be long periods where the ship probably will have poor reception/connectivity.  

A VERY good point!  Internet access on a ship is a totally different animal, even in port.  And it's expensive.  Even with a SkyRoam, I do a great deal of reading on a cruise!