bathroom glasses cleaned, not replaced??

CaliforniaDon

I never use the cruise or hotel bathroom glasses. I assume that the glasses are only rinsed and that the person rinsing them is wearing the gloves they wore while cleaning the toilet. I wouldn’t put my toothbrush in those glasses either. (Nothing wrong with a little OCD.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

( I always, oops, unless you are " correcting " me , enjoy reading your posts ).

What you are referring to above is probably not happening.

Ya wanna talk about " disgusting"----

How about slobs at the buffet, how about men/women who " forget " to wash their hands or flush the toilet in the public washrooms , etc, etc.

What the Cruise Lines should do is to put up a sign reading:

" Please flush--If bell rings YOU win a prize ".

( Of course, there is no bell--- but it will work ).

You're probably correct, that tampering with the coffee maker really isn't happening, but I'm going to start rinsing out the coffee maker with a couple rinses before I use it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

How about slobs at the buffet,

I'm grateful Celebrity has few kids on board because kids can do gross things at a buffet and many parents ignore what their kids do. PS:  They grow up into adults who still do gross things at the buffet. 

[thinking about the kid I saw who ate a mouthful of rice using the serving spoon, and stuck it back into the rice cooker.]  I told the line cook who took away the rice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, phillygirl2400 said:

………..(Nothing wrong with a little OCD.)

I would have agreed with you……until I starting reading this thread! 

And be warned, I read that some room stewards get upset if they can tell their customers don’t trust them and go around cleaning after they’ve cleaned. They pick up used cups and bedding from other SRs and bring them up to that room!!

I read this on a Facebook post by some guy named “ILoveToDriveOCDersNuts!”.

Den

Edited by Denny01

17 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Why assume a lounge glass is cleaned and  a BR glass wouldn’t be ‘properly cleaned’ since its right next to a sink and soap and so on? 

Aren’t we a bit over worried about this? Its not a glass being shared;  It’s in a private area; it appears clean and there is no reason to think it isn’t. You can take this a bit too far on what the steward isn’t cleaning cant you? 

I think I’m out of my league on this one.

Den

The food and beverage service areas are covered by different standards for sanitation of glasses, utensils, plates, etc. and have immediate access to the dishwasher. The cleaning products used to clean bathrooms are typically not OK for cleaning items used for food and drink. I doubt the stewards carry dish soap and hand soap wouldn't do the job.

The concern is that the glasses are being rinsed and wiped clean with a cloth that was used to do the same in someone else's cabin. The cloth used to wipe the glass could easily transmit norovirus, coronavirus, etc.

Given that the consequences of contracting COVID or noro are confinement to the cabin and loss of vacation days to being ill, I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about how the glasses are being cleaned (or not).

• Like 2

Do people really spend their first hours onboard cleaning? I have read that some do- scouring every surface (including inside airducts, so people have claimed) - but it seems pointless to me. What about the rest of the ship? Do you clean everything you are about to touch or or everywhere you are going to sit? I'd far rather explore or sit up on a deck with a silly umbrella drink or a good g&t. I think this falls under my "a few germs are good for you" policy. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We always use the glasses in hotels and cruise ships. Still healthy and alive. 

I don't particularly like to drink beer from a bottle, and wine can be really awkward to drink that way! So, I also use the supplied glasses. Unless the supplied "glasses" are plastic, in which case I use the aluminum cup I carry with me. Which I hardly ever wash, just a quick rinse does it. And when I do wash or rinse, I don't use bottled water, I just trust the tap water. I guess I am just a major risk taker!

Stan

• Like 1

I always bring 8 oz plastic cups for the bathroom. They take up no room in the luggage. If I think there are not fresh wine glasses every day, I wash them out in the sink also. I keep the remote  on a shelf by the tv and the steward never moves it.

Been very healthy and lucky on over 50  cruises: 30 on Celebrity.

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

( I always, oops, unless you are " correcting " me , enjoy reading your posts ).

What you are referring to above is probably not happening.

How about slobs at the buffet, how about men/women who " forget " to wash their hands or flush the toilet in the public washrooms , etc, etc.

What the Cruise Lines should do is to put up a sign reading:

" Please flush--If bell rings YOU win a prize ".

( Of course, there is no bell--- but it will work ).

i don’t know why it’s disgusting to clean a coffee maker or what’s wrong about flushing a toilet.  Grammar sucks.  🥸

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

The food and beverage service areas are covered by different standards for sanitation of glasses, utensils, plates, etc. and have immediate access to the dishwasher. The cleaning products used to clean bathrooms are typically not OK for cleaning items used for food and drink. I doubt the stewards carry dish soap and hand soap wouldn't do the job.

The concern is that the glasses are being rinsed and wiped clean with a cloth that was used to do the same in someone else's cabin. The cloth used to wipe the glass could easily transmit norovirus, coronavirus, etc.

Given that the consequences of contracting COVID or noro are confinement to the cabin and loss of vacation days to being ill, I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about how the glasses are being cleaned (or not).

You could hide the glasses when you leave to ensure that you can was them yourself properly. What if the handles on drawers and cupboards are wiped with the same cloth?handrails on the stairs. Best stay at home.

• Haha 1

OK, now it’s time for True Confessions….after posting more than a few ‘haha’s’ at the expense of those trying to stay healthy:

Yes, as I said before, I use paper towels to open ‘certain’ doors, my elbow to push open others; my knuckle to pick elevator floors.

- And at the start of the Pandemic:

- I wore a mask even before the recommendations were to do so.

-  I had a table set up in my garage where I put items we bought wherever to be rubbed down with wipes and so on until the experts explained it wasn’t needed.  

- I pretty much isolated, didn’t dine out; didn’t join friends except those I explicitly trusted. Heck, stopped asking one couple over until lately when I saw them in photos on Facebook with a big group partying prior to vaccines.

- Battled against the ‘it’s only a flu’ people in various organizations to stop meeting in person and used Zoom;

- Got Very Haughty with anyone who disagreed with what I Knew what had to be done and how.

- listened incessantly to the ‘right programs’ and secretly laughed when one of the naysayers got ill…..although I Tried to have some level of sympathy (not really).

And took shots and boosters before I started to ‘return’….and I won’t say ‘return to normal’. No such thing anymore.

Enough. I’ll stop with the cute jokes about others trying to stay healthy.

Den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

OK, now it’s time for True Confessions….after posting more than a few ‘haha’s’ at the expense of those trying to stay healthy:

Yes, as I said before, I use paper towels to open ‘certain’ doors, my elbow to push open others; my knuckle to pick floors.

- And the biggies at the start of the Pandemic:

-  I had a table set up in my garage where I put items we bought wherever to be rubbed down with wipes and so on until the experts explained it wasn’t needed.  

- I pretty much isolated, didn’t dine out; didn’t join friends except those I explicitly trusted. Heck, stopped asking one couple over until lately when I saw them in photos on Facebook with a big group partying prior to vaccines.

- Battled against the ‘it’s only a flu’ people in various organizations to stop meeting in person and used Zoom;

- Got Very Haughty with anyone who disagreed with what I Knew what had to be done and how.

- listened incessantly to the ‘right programs’ and secretly laughed when one of the naysayers got ill…..although I Tried to have some level of sympathy (not really).

And took me shots and boosters before I starred to ‘return’….and I won’t say ‘return to normal’. No such thing anymore.

Den 

Did your friends say they missed you?  😇

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Did your friends say they missed you?  😇

Yeah, but I think it’s because they accepted my ‘zealousness’. In truth, I tried to be ‘nice’ even when I was ‘haughty’. 

Den

53 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Yes, as I said before, I use paper towels to open ‘certain’ doors, my elbow to push open others; my knuckle to pick elevator floors.

- And at the start of the Pandemic:

And took shots and boosters before I started to ‘return’….and I won’t say ‘return to normal’. No such thing anymore.

Den 

I basically did none of that, had zero issues. YMMV.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mfs2k said:

For 10 years I’ve gone on cruises with Hydrogen Peroxide wipes and wiped down every surface, light switch and remote before unpacking because I was told this would help prevent catching Norovirus. 

I travel with my own paper bathroom cups or drink from a water bottle in the bathroom. 

When I go to hotels I wash out the coffee maker with soap and water because I once read jerks pee into the hotel coffee makers for laughs. 
Thats about the extent of my OCD ridiculousness. 
We all have our own pet peeves. 
If the thought of the glasses possibly being dirty bothers you, don’t use them. 
It really is that simple. 

Hello,

I think we must travel in different circles, or read different articles.

Every hotel room, and indeed every ships' cabin I have used, the kettle has always been empty on arrival. I cannot vouch for how it may have been used prior to my arrival, but at least there was nothing in there that should not have been.

Regards,

Cublet

2 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I don't particularly like to drink beer from a bottle, and wine can be really awkward to drink that way! So, I also use the supplied glasses. Unless the supplied "glasses" are plastic, in which case I use the aluminum cup I carry with me. Which I hardly ever wash, just a quick rinse does it. And when I do wash or rinse, I don't use bottled water, I just trust the tap water. I guess I am just a major risk taker!

Stan

Was the aluminum cup going away gift from one of the guards.😁

Edited by weregoingcruising
Added
  • Haha 2