Dutch newspaper reports extension of refugee housing on Volendam

WriterOnDeck

Here's a Google translation of a section of a newspaper article that refugees will stay on the Volendam for months more, quoting a government official. No word from HAL. Of course it is good for the refugees, but it would be nice to hear from HAL, as we've already made final payments (booked July through early October on Volendam), sold the house and will need to find a new place to live....

"The reception of refugees from Ukraine on cruise ship Volendam of the HAL in  Rotterdam will be extended by months, alderman responsible Vincent Karremans announced that there was already an option to extend the charter of the ship, but the order had to depend on sequential growth ..."

• Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Here's a Google translation of a section of a newspaper article that refugees will stay on the Volendam for months more, quoting a government official. No word from HAL. Of course it is good for the refugees, but it would be nice to hear from HAL, as we've already made final payments (booked July through early October on Volendam), sold the house and will need to find a new place to live....

"The reception of refugees from Ukraine on cruise ship Volendam of the HAL in  Rotterdam will be extended by months, alderman responsible Vincent Karremans announced that there was already an option to extend the charter of the ship, but the order had to depend on sequential growth ..."

No word of this in our two newspapers this morning or yesterday. Will you please be so kind to inform us  in which newspaper you read this message? 

Edited by MAVIP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

No word of this in our two newspapers this morning or yesterday. Will you please be so kind to inform us  in which newspaper you read this message? 

I've asked the original poster for the name of the paper. But here is the photo of the article, which is in Dutch.

IMG_4112 2.JPG

• Thanks 2

Although we canceled our July 3 Volendam cruise for other reasons, as time goes by I'm even more glad we made that decision.  When HAL wasn't posting shore excursions (and from what I see  they still haven't?) I was concerned.  Maybe there's another reason, but that alone is very unusual at only 2 months out.

I'm very happy for the Ukrainian refugees, just glad we canceled the cruise long ago.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Although we canceled our July 3 Volendam cruise for other reasons, as time goes by I'm even more glad we made that decision.  When HAL wasn't posting shore excursions (and from what I see  they still haven't?) I was concerned.  Maybe there's another reason, but that alone is very unusual at only 2 months out.

I'm very happy for the Ukrainian refugees, just glad we canceled the cruise long ago.

I'm very happy, too, for the refugees, understanding there is some difficulty for travelers who need to make other arrangements.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

I've asked the original poster for the name of the paper. But here is the photo of the article, which is in Dutch.

IMG_4112 2.JPG

Yes, I saw the same cutting on Facebook Friends in NL. It is a newspaper I do not touch. The town of Rotterdam asked HAL for prolongation as already possible in the original contract.  We will wait and see. 

• Thanks 1

Appears from today's newspaper, the Voldendam will extend their housing.

That is what responsible alderman Vincent Karrenmans says.    There was already an option to extend the lease.  There were two other options but "because these quotes were well above the amount of HAL's extension option in terms of price per day, we decided to opt for HAL".

We almost transferred our Volendam booking to another Voldenam cruise in August.  Instead chose the NS.  Glad we did.  I thought all along that HAL might be letting the Volendam go longer for the Ukrainian refugees.  I was happy with HAL doing that in the first place and am not surprised they are extending the time.  Believe me, I know how stressful it can be to transfer a cruise and cancel shore excursions, etc.  But nothing compared to what is happening to those refugees.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Expect another year..

Would not be surprised,  And supportive of such a use of Volendam.  Though, I wonder, how long her propulsion machinery can go without being used?  

• Like 1

I am one those who was so  looking forward to the Northern Capitals cruise with the Volendam beginning on July 17.  Those of you with more experience- what do you recommend as next steps?  Ask our TA to contact Holland America? Should we call HAL? Anyone up the chain of command to contact? Just yesterday my husband called the shore excursion group and was told they were finalizing contracts. When he asked, "Is there a possibility there will not be shore excursions?" he was told, "Anything is possible".    I too am glad there are options for the refugees, but am disappointed.

2 hours ago, loveapug said:

I am one those who was so  looking forward to the Northern Capitals cruise with the Volendam beginning on July 17.  Those of you with more experience- what do you recommend as next steps?  Ask our TA to contact Holland America? Should we call HAL? Anyone up the chain of command to contact? Just yesterday my husband called the shore excursion group and was told they were finalizing contracts. When he asked, "Is there a possibility there will not be shore excursions?" he was told, "Anything is possible".    I too am glad there are options for the refugees, but am disappointed.

Pretty much all you can do is sit and wait until HAL actually cancels the cruise.  Before that, you'll only get answers like you did from the shore excursion department.  

• Like 3

For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with my Travel Agent. She said she just got off the phone with HAL (again) and has word that the refugee housing has been extended but only "through July". For the two of us, that means our September plans (Med cruise) are still good on the Volendam. But as far as how far into July that means (July 1st? July 30th?), and whether the housing will be extended further than that, I don't have any further information. I'm sorry for the minimal info, but hopefully anyone else who might be impacted can get a little more information from their Travel Agent or PCC. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

From my TA, more info to come, I suppose.

A message from Gus Antorcha

Dear Travel Partner,

I am writing to share with you we have extended our charter agreement with Netherlands and City of Rotterdam officials through September 14, 2022 for Volendam to continue to be berthed in Rotterdam where she has been providing a temporary home for 1,200 Ukrainian refugees. The extended charter will now run through September 14 and will house up to 1,500 refugees, part of a larger commitment from the Netherlands to accommodate 50,000 refugees from Ukraine.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks for the information.  There is no way I'd book a cruise on the volendam unless payment was far away.  Too risky because I bet this will go on for a while.

I think that is a very safe bet.