What Bucket List Item Failed to Live Up to Expectations?

mnocket

On 6/15/2022 at 8:49 AM, Cruise Junky said:

This is an interesting take seeing as most people are in a location for 1 day for up to 8 hours. How exactly should they plan to visit a spot on a tour when it’s less busy?  You either go or don’t go when you have the restrictions of a cruise. 

i'm not a tour-taker, so that isn't my perspective.  I also said pre-post cruise visits, not those rushed cattle calls of an excursion.  if you are stuck with an excursion, sure you are restricted to those blocks of specific time.  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

i'm not a tour-taker, so that isn't my perspective.  I also said pre-post cruise visits, not those rushed cattle calls of an excursion.  if you are stuck with an excursion, sure you are restricted to those blocks of specific time.  

That is why, for those really top-of-the-bucket items, it might be better to try land travel - either totally or as piggy-backed before or after cruises.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, navybankerteacher said:

That is why, for those really top-of-the-bucket items, it might be better to try land travel - either totally or as piggy-backed before or after cruises.

Speaking of top-of-the-bucket list items,   Car-Henge in Nebraska is not one of them.

It failed to live up to my expectations which is why I chose not to visit the place when I was working near by.

I can wait for Stonehenge.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JRG said:

Stonehenge remains on our bucket list. In 2020, we had a Princess cruise booked for the Norwegian fjords and an excursion back to Heathrow with a stop at Sonehenge. DW said she was actually more enthused about that excursion than the cruise.

11 hours ago, JRG said:

Speaking of top-of-the-bucket list items,   Car-Henge in Nebraska is not one of them.

It failed to live up to my expectations which is why I chose not to visit the place when I was working near by.

Ha ha!  Being from Nebraska, have never been to 'Car-Henge', and never expect to.  I mean, I wouldn't expect anything much--it's pretty much like going out of your way to see a giant ball of string.

.  .  It's also a long way from us, as Nebraska is a big state.  Have been to Stone Henge, and it was awesome, even though we didn't pay extra to get up close.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mnocket said:

I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the Blarney Stone.  I drove by the castle and didn't bother to stop.  Waiting in line just to lie on my back and kiss a rock?  Why?

Why? So you would have the gift of gab.  I think it worked for me😊. I did it years ago and there were no lines but yes I would not stand in line for that.  Actually I most enjoyed the grounds around the castle.  

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Why? So you would have the gift of gab.  I think it worked for me😊. I did it years ago and there were no lines but yes I would not stand in line for that.  Actually I most enjoyed the grounds around the castle.  

OK, so I took a look at the TripAdvisor reviews.  You're not alone.  Most of the reviewers seemed to be thrilled by the experience.  Once again, I find myself odd man out😕

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Stonehenge remains on our bucket list. In 2020, we had a Princess cruise booked for the Norwegian fjords and an excursion back to Heathrow with a stop at Sonehenge. DW said she was actually more enthused about that excursion than the cruise.

Stonehenge is worth a slot on your list - best experienced when no crowds are there - perhaps very early morning or in the evening - but certainly not on (or even near) a solstice, when a lot of costumed Druid wannabes crawl out of their barrows and do their “ooba-youba” chanting.  

(That kind of demonstration might suit someone’s bucket list - but it does seem to impede experiencing the place itself.)

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the Blarney Stone.  I drove by the castle and didn't bother to stop.  Waiting in line just to lie on my back and kiss a rock?  Why?

Well I did it--actually the castle and its grounds are spectacular and I'm so glad we did.  We were lucky in that we were the first tour there (we were on a cruise) and there was no line at all; also was in April, so maybe that helped with no crowd.  And beautiful weather.

I was astounded to see the very long areas marked off for lines--it could have taken hours and I sure wouldn't have wanted to walk up all those steep stone stairs with a huge crowd. We just walked right in!

4 hours ago, mnocket said:

I did it as a child and enjoyed it in the sort of "that was a bit dangerous, an experience I'd never have at home" kind of way.  When I went it wasn't crowded and (at least back then) there was no hand rail in the turret where you climbed up, nor fence to keep you from falling into the interior courtyard as you walked around the inner parapet. And the point where they make you lie down and hold your legs while you reach back to kiss the stone was deliciously dangerous. It felt like something mom and dad would never let you get away with at home!

I doubt I would enjoy it as much today. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, JRG said:

Had a google of Car Henge, gave me quite a laugh. It is infinitely more creative than Foamhenge. 

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 2:29 PM, lynncarol said:

Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota. Mean employee at entrance when we tried to stop and take a picture. Charge to get in. Charged again to take their transportation from visitor center to the monument. Center's museum featured a film on creating the monument that we had already seen on a television special. 

Yes that is definitely all about the $$$

On 6/17/2022 at 9:12 PM, JRG said:

I'm from Nebraska.  I've never meet anyone who have actually been there,  or wanted to go!

1 hour ago, sprint180 said:

Yes that is definitely all about the $$$

it's on private land.  They are perfectly within their rights to charge and make money.   if you didn't like paying there, do not think of going to Monument Valley or Antelope Canyon.  Iconic places in the American West.  Gotta pay to go into Monument Valley.  You must have a guide to go into Antelope Canyon.   Both were on my bucket list and they absolutely did not disappoint and were well worth the money.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 12:57 AM, ilikeanswers said:

Had a google of Car Henge, gave me quite a laugh. It is infinitely more creative than Foamhenge. 

Foamhenge,  near Natural Bridge, VA, has not lasted anywhere nearas long as it’s inspiration on Salisbury Plain.  Of course, styrofoam exposed to snow, sleet rain, freezing and thawing has its limitations.  A kind of silly exercise

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

it's on private land.  They are perfectly within their rights to charge and make money.   if you didn't like paying there, do not think of going to Monument Valley or Antelope Canyon.  Iconic places in the American West.  Gotta pay to go into Monument Valley.  You must have a guide to go into Antelope Canyon.   Both were on my bucket list and they absolutely did not disappoint and were well worth the money.

I didn't say it wasn't,  I pay to go into many place but this one is definately a money grab.  It's a one and done for me so I don't really care.  This is just a discussion on what is worth it and I don't think Crazy Horse is.  Others will pay it over and over to go back.  To each their own.

42 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

To each their own

I use this phrase a lot...but honestly, aren't some things just stupid? Shouldn't we just call people out on it? Foam Henge. Really? Wall Drug in SD. The biggest ball of twine, the largest corn whatever...these gimmicks are just plain stupid. If you want to go there, then just do it. But don't get your knickers  in a twist when I say it's stupid. 

For those following along - for once I'm not being sarcastic or funny. 

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I use this phrase a lot...but honestly, aren't some things just stupid? Shouldn't we just call people out on it? Foam Henge. Really? Wall Drug in SD. The biggest ball of twine, the largest corn whatever...these gimmicks are just plain stupid. If you want to go there, then just do it. But don't get your knickers  in a twist when I say it's stupid. 

For those following along - for once I'm not being sarcastic or funny. 

Wall Drug.. I have to laugh when I see my first sign on the way to Rapid City.  My first sign of 500 that is.

So Wall Drug is what it is--kind of the ultimate American kitsch--but fun in its own way.  The kids and grandkids really enjoy it--just a testimont to what advertising will do!

I love the Alamo, mostly because of the story behind the last stand.  It's also, in my opinion, beautiful and moving.  Love the River Walk too.  

Very few things have failed to meet my expectations--well, maybe the La Brea tar pit--but then it is what it says, a tar pit.  Admittedly I haven't seen it in 50 years so maybe there is more to it now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

So Wall Drug is what it is--kind of the ultimate American kitsch--but fun in its own way.  The kids and grandkids really enjoy it--just a testimont to what advertising will do!

I love the Alamo, mostly because of the story behind the last stand.  It's also, in my opinion, beautiful and moving.  Love the River Walk too.  

Very few things have failed to meet my expectations--well, maybe the La Brea tar pit--but then it is what it says, a tar pit.  Admittedly I haven't seen it in 50 years so maybe there is more to it now.

Lol with wall drug get that free water,  classic americana tourist trap.  Wall drug much like the alamo is a one time deal, or just one of those if you in the area and not make a special trip for.

All sort of worth it but sort of not. 

Edited by fountain44

2 minutes ago, fountain44 said:

Lol with wall drug get that free water,  classic americana tourist trap.  Wall drug much like the alamo is a one deal, or just one of those if you in the area and not make a specail trip for

World Potato Exposition, now the Idaho Potato Museum.  Blackfoot, ID, on the way to Yellowstone.  Used to have billboards along I-15 promoting it and 'world's largest potato chip' and stuff like that.  At the end of the walk through, out-of-staters would get a free baked potato.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

World Potato Exposition, now the Idaho Potato Museum.  Blackfoot, ID, on the way to Yellowstone.  Used to have billboards along I-15 promoting it and 'world's largest potato chip' and stuff like that.  At the end of the walk through, out-of-staters would get a free baked potato.  

With sour cream?   

I would rather see the Oscar Mayer wiener mobile.   Which, by the way, I passed on I-5 a couple of months ago.  First time I've seen one in real life.