Tested positive for Covid days prior to sailing

bulldogz

Unfortunately we both tested positive and we are due to leave on our cruise on Friday. So disappointed. Went this whole time without being infected. We took out our own insurance. What do we do first to cancel the trip?  Call Celebrity? TA? Insurance?  Also, should we do - the FCC or refund?  We received a Move UpBid  too. Do we lose out on that money? Thanks for any help. Can’t think. Have Covid brain. 

We called celebrity. We asked for money and got all including internet and Bev Package that we purchased separately on internet. You might have to call TA and that will be harder. That is why we have not used a TA since coming back. I like control. It will be interesting to see if you get all your money back or the TA asks for something. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bulldogz said:

Unfortunately we both tested positive and we are due to leave on our cruise on Friday. So disappointed. Went this whole time without being infected. We took out our own insurance. What do we do first to cancel the trip?  Call Celebrity? TA? Insurance?  Also, should we do - the FCC or refund?  We received a Move UpBid  too. Do we lose out on that money? Thanks for any help. Can’t think. Have Covid brain. 

This is the Refund and Cancellation Policy for Covid-19 for Celebrity.  Contact them ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, bulldogz said:

bulldogz:  You just experienced everyone's nightmare scenario.  So sorry to read this.  

This is a sufficiently unique experience I would hope you will post how this was resolved.  Best wishes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

bulldogz:  You just experienced everyone's nightmare scenario.  So sorry to read this.  

This is a sufficiently unique experience I would hope you will post how this was resolved.  Best wishes.

Agree. Please keep us posted @bulldogz

Please keep us posted if you don't mind.

I currently have COVID and am not sure if it will clear before our June 2 cruise so I may have to go through the same process.

Things are quite stressful right now, and we’re in a similar position. As long a you have 10 days between symptoms (positive test) and embarkation day, without symptoms and fever for at least 24h, you are no longer contagious and cleared to go!

That said, people can test positive for weeks so best to get a note from your doctor to clear you.

Not a fun time, and BA2 is VERY contagious.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, bulldogz said:

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  Successfully dodging COVID-19 for the past 2+ years is quite the feat!  You have my utmost respect for that.  But then to be SO close to cruising and catch it... I understand your disappointment.

If I were in your situation, I'd contact the travel agent first.  I would have a plan for what compensation I expected/wanted and what I wanted to do with it - whether it's a refund, FCC, book another cruise with Celebrity, book another vacation, etc.  The TA may suggest contacting Celebrity or the insurance company directly.

But please do come back and update us on what you did and how it worked out.  We don't get a lot of stories like this.  Thanks in advance.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:04 PM, Pennstatedj said:

We called celebrity. We asked for money and got all including internet and Bev Package that we purchased separately on internet. You might have to call TA and that will be harder. That is why we have not used a TA since coming back. I like control. It will be interesting to see if you get all your money back or the TA asks for something. Good luck.

Unless OP used a really bad TA, it should actually make things easier on them to let the TA handle it. The TA’s commission is protected, so there’s nothing legitimate to ask for. And Celebrity generally will not talk directly to a passenger about anything related to the money side of a cruise. I don’t know if they make an exception under these circumstances.

Hi, I ended up calling the travel agent and they sent me a cancellation Letter to sign. Once I signed that, they contacted Celebrity and cancelled my cruise. I also called Celebrity just to be sure it was canceled. They wanted me to email them our positive tests along with our confirmation number and contact info. They wanted the travel agent to send the same information to them as well. I was told I didn’t have to attach my results to the Bermuda travel authorization. I’m sure I will not get that money back. I’m supposed get my cruises fare and my move up money back as a refund to the credit card I charged. Could take up to 45 days. Hope your all having a wonderful cruise. I wish I could be there. Just not feeling good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Hope you feel better soon! I was just reading the refund/cancellation policy that was shared….. I did not see any reference to sailings from Sydney-

We are booked to sail in mid Oct…… has anyone seen anything that would alter the cancellation policy for the Australia/New Zealand sailings? I have not 🤷‍♀️

On 5/11/2022 at 10:04 PM, Pennstatedj said:

When I cancelled a Celebrity cruise back in Nov I had received MoveUp bid and it was credited back to me eventually as cash back.  So sorry to hear you have COVID.  Please get well. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 3:17 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  Successfully dodging COVID-19 for the past 2+ years is quite the feat!  You have my utmost respect for that.  But then to be SO close to cruising and catch it... I understand your disappointment.

If I were in your situation, I'd contact the travel agent first.  I would have a plan for what compensation I expected/wanted and what I wanted to do with it - whether it's a refund, FCC, book another cruise with Celebrity, book another vacation, etc.  The TA may suggest contacting Celebrity or the insurance company directly.

But please do come back and update us on what you did and how it worked out.  We don't get a lot of stories like this.  Thanks in advance.

You might also ask, if you receive FCC when does it expire.  I cancelled two cruses (OCT and NOV 2021) and received FCC.  It has to be used by Dec 31, 2022.  Just info to utilize in your planning and strategy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bulldogz said:

Hi, I ended up calling the travel agent and they sent me a cancellation Letter to sign. Once I signed that, they contacted Celebrity and cancelled my cruise. I also called Celebrity just to be sure it was canceled. They wanted me to email them our positive tests along with our confirmation number and contact info. They wanted the travel agent to send the same information to them as well. I was told I didn’t have to attach my results to the Bermuda travel authorization. I’m sure I will not get that money back. I’m supposed get my cruises fare and my move up money back as a refund to the credit card I charged. Could take up to 45 days. Hope your all having a wonderful cruise. I wish I could be there. Just not feeling good. 

Thanks for the update.  It looks like the hard part is mostly done, so get well soon.

2 hours ago, bulldogz said:

I’m supposed get my cruises fare and my move up money back as a refund to the credit card I charged. Could take up to 45 days. Hope your all having a wonderful cruise. I wish I could be there. Just not feeling good. 

I’m so sorry this happened to you, but I’m relieved to see that you’re to receive a full refund to your credit card, including the move up amount. I hope you feel better very soon.

• Like 1

I was wondering how all of that would work, but it looks like, in a way, the OP was lucky that this happened before boarding, along with the MoveUp bid being refunded with cruise.  I can only imagine the disappointment.  So many of us have escaped the dreadful curse of Covid, but my doctor believes that it is only a matter of time before it happens; many could also just be A-symptomatic too.  Thanks so much for sharing your story!  Good luck with everything else and feel better soon.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I’d am feeling better except for this lingering dry cough which is terrible. I keep your Turing myself and checking the Bermuda webcam and see our ship in dock. 😞

On 5/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, LB_NJ said:

Please keep us posted if you don't mind.

I currently have COVID and am not sure if it will clear before our June 2 cruise so I may have to go through the same process.

Get your letter of recovery!  You won’t have to test.  Please feel better and rest up before you get on the cruise 

On 5/11/2022 at 9:04 PM, Pennstatedj said:

You are correct.  We have decided never to book with our TA again (who is really only an online booking agency these days!).  My son requested a refund rather than FCC for a cruise cancelled by Celebrity.  The cruise was in 2020.  He first lifted and shifted to 2021 and then it was cancelled again.  He told our TA that he wanted a refund, not FCC.  Over a year later and he still has not received it.  Busy fighting with the TA now, when we can even get ahold of them, which is only via email.  So frustrating!!  This is only one example (but the worst) of their horrible service since Covid hit.  We have booked tens of thousands of dollars of cruises with them - never again!

@bulldogz:  Thank you for the update.  

We had to cancel a cruise in 2017 but had a little longer than you did.  We were scheduled to leave home about 48 hours before a parent became very ill.  We were able to cancel our air from Fairbanks, Alaska to Miami where we had planned to spend several days before flying to Buenos Aires.  We had planned to spend several days in BA (one of my favorite cities) before boarding the ship.  We had to actually cancel the cruise before we could file with our travel insurance.

My husband tested positive on the Eclipse on April 30th.  While he didn't feel that bad as his symptoms were similar to a mild cold, that cough was unique.  He is now past the cough.  Hope you will begin to feel much better shortly.