Pre-owned handbags in shops onboard-were others aware?

Shami

We were on the Equinox last month and were in the shop selling Louis Vuitton bags. There were Louis Vuitton references all around the shop. I happened to look at one particular bag and spoke with the salesperson on two separate occasions. The third time, my husband was there and also spoke with the salesperson. After about a 10 minute conversation, the salesperson mentioned that this bag over here was only used twice. This prompted my husband to ask if the bags were pre-owned. We had assumed that all of the bags were new. The salesperson said yes, all of the Louis Vuitton bags are pre-owned. There was a sign on one of the displays that said "What Goes Around Comes Around." It looked like just a sign that mentioned a truism and nothing else. It turns out that is the name of the company selling the handbags and they sell "Vintage" items (pre-owned). I am just wondering if my husband and I are the only ones that did not realize that the merchandise in this store was not new, or do others not realize this. Just wondering. When we spoke with the Hotel Director to voice our concern that it should be clear to potential buyers, he confirmed that they also sell some pre-owned Rolexes in the watch store - although not all are pre-owned like the Louis Vuitton bags. Just want to say that the pricing was quite high and so that was not a tip-off that the bags were pre-owned. Sorry that the post is so long - just felt I needed to put this out there.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shami said:

We were on the Equinox last month and were in the shop selling Louis Vuitton bags. There were Louis Vuitton references all around the shop. I happened to look at one particular bag and spoke with the salesperson on two separate occasions. The third time, my husband was there and also spoke with the salesperson. After about a 10 minute conversation, the salesperson mentioned that this bag over here was only used twice. This prompted my husband to ask if the bags were pre-owned. We had assumed that all of the bags were new. The salesperson said yes, all of the Louis Vuitton bags are pre-owned. There was a sign on one of the displays that said "What Goes Around Comes Around." It looked like just a sign that mentioned a truism and nothing else. It turns out that is the name of the company selling the handbags and they sell "Vintage" items (pre-owned). I am just wondering if my husband and I are the only ones that did not realize that the merchandise in this store was not new, or do others not realize this. Just wondering. When we spoke with the Hotel Director to voice our concern that it should be clear to potential buyers, he confirmed that they also sell some pre-owned Rolexes in the watch store - although not all are pre-owned like the Louis Vuitton bags. Just want to say that the pricing was quite high and so that was not a tip-off that the bags were pre-owned. Sorry that the post is so long - just felt I needed to put this out there.

Interesting.  I would suspect this in ports but not on a ship, certainly not Celebrity.

• Like 4

Louis Vitton items also hold their value better than almost any handbag out there, so it isn't surprising that the prices were still very high. LV announced a price increase across the board this spring for their items meaning the resale price is going up again as well. My wife is a full time reseller and she views LV products as an investment piece, they are only going to go up in value over time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shami said:

I think you are right to put it out there Shami.

Also, a lot of the pre-owned Rolexes onboard ships have ‘after-market’ parts on them which means that Rolex themselves will not touch them. It devalues the Rolex and means that the owner can never have a Rolex accredited watchmaker work on their watch! It is only Rolex accredited watchmakers that have the correct tools and equipment and access to original parts for those watches.
I don’t think many potential buyer realise that. It makes me feel very uneasy about this practice as these watches are very expensive and although buyers may me attracted by the diamonds added to the dials or bezels, these will actually devalue the purchase.

• Like 6

Thanks for your replies to my comments. I am not against their right to sell pre-owned merchandise, I just feel it should be apparent the minute you walk in the store, to the average consumer.

With the talk of it being an investment with prices going up all the time - makes me wonder if I shouldn't be using my one and only LV bag on a daily basis.

• Like 6

I would keep your one and only LV bag for occasional use so it will retain its value.   There are only a few stores selling  new LV bags.   You can buy them at LV stores, at Saks and Neimans.   Don’t know about the other stores.    You can’t get the new ones by ordering on line, you have to go to the store to see them and select what you want.   New bags are never sold at secondary sources.    If you are buying them anywhere else you are buying fake ( if they are inexpensive) or used if they are expensive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We do not buy used anything but seems to be a trend,..even at Walmart!

Coach store on Oasis had very old stock..hardly worth stopping in..esp after walking  in the rain in the park area.   

For example my wife recently purchased a used LV bag from a reputable source online (it looks brand new, you would never be able to tell it was used), it was a 1 year limited run bag either last year or the year before so you can't find it new anymore. It was somewhere around $2000 new, and she just payed $2400 for it used, that is how much the value has already increased. 

1 hour ago, Shami said:

With the talk of it being an investment with prices going up all the time - makes me wonder if I shouldn't be using my one and only LV bag on a daily basis.

OMG! Use the bag. Enjoy the bag. You can't take your $$ with you. If you bought the bag b/c it suits your lifestyle and Not just as some sort of social status piece, use and enjoy it!  And... I guess, even if you did buy it as social status piece, you should use and enjoy it, as how would people know how rich, cool and trendy you are if you left the bag at home in a closet so it could "appreciate"?!?

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Shami said:

Thanks for your replies to my comments. I am not against their right to sell pre-owned merchandise, I just feel it should be apparent the minute you walk in the store, to the average consumer.

Thank you for the information. I am usually not a ‘posh’ handbag person, when I buy a bag it is usually to stuff things in and to tote around. However, with lots of OBC next cruise I might have decided it was time to treat myself. 

Like you I don’t have an issue with pre owned but I would want to know. Also as a naive purchaser I would have no idea if during the bags ‘make over’ pre resale if a catch had been swapped, a handle repaired…things that could effect its resale value. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

OMG! Use the bag. Enjoy the bag. You can't take your $$ with you. If you bought the bag b/c it suits your lifestyle and Not just as some sort of social status piece, use and enjoy it!  And... I guess, even if you did buy it as social status piece, you should use and enjoy it, as how would people know how rich, cool and trendy you are if you left the bag at home in a closet so it could "appreciate"?!?

1041613553_poster840x830f8f8f8-pad1000x1000f8f8f8.thumb.jpg.f6cb96dee98ba2b0d44df19c4a2d03cd.jpg

In this case the bag. Sums up cruise enjoyment really.

• Like 16

11 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I was amazed at the prices of LV bags on Edge in October. I had a large amount of OBC and bought a Coach bag. After I got home I saw a post about the LV bags being used and I was doubly amazed. 

EDGE  had a great variety of beautuful bags....some very pricey, one if a kind, all new.  I bought  a clutch and handbag on my EDGE cruises,  but I buy what catches my eye in my price range..not the label. 

Overall, shops on EDGE were hi priced..even tee shirts. 

• Like 2

The only place you can buy a real new LV bag is directly from LV. There are no other authorized places. There is a second market for pre-owned Louis Vuitton that is authorized . Obviously that is what is on the ship. There is absolutely no problem with these bags because they have to be authenticated to be sold as such.

Now there are lots of “LV” bags for sale online, etc. most are fake.  If you want a real LV either buy it from LV, or from an authorized reseller. I have one that I bought 12 years ago from LV direct, and I have one from the 80’s that came from an authorized reseller in New York. As far as Coach bags those are just a cheap bag that you can buy at any outlet mall. 

https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/authentic-louis-vuitton

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would have imagined it. Is there any seller other than LV that is authorized to sell original LV items in the first place?

They also sell used and restored Rolex watches but the prices of those aren't cheap and the bigger problem is that they use non-Rolex parts to fix them up. I tried a Rolex Datejust last time and it wasn't bad but at a price point of $6,600 with some non-genuine parts such as the crystal, no papers except those of the restoration company... hard pass!

13 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

If you bought the bag b/c it suits your lifestyle and Not just as some sort of social status piece, use and enjoy it! 

LOL-- Why else would anyone spend that kind of money on a bag ? The odds are you will never sell it because the value will keep  going up----- ( until you try to sell it ?? ).

Let's say the exact bag had a " designer "  name on it that was not recognizable ( not promoted or marketed ), wouldn't it still be as good ? 

( I try to explain that to " you know who " --- but, not a chance ) !!

LOL-- And, about the Rolex watches they sell on the Islands---- They are " real " . The Salesman told me and offered me a " special price " because he remembered me from a previous cruise . ( I must have a twin brother because we were never there before ). 

Oh well, It's all part of the " fun " of cruising.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- Why else would anyone spend that kind of money on a bag ? The odds are you will never sell it because the value will keep  going up----- ( until you try to sell it ?? ).

Let's say the exact bag had a " designer "  name on it that was not recognizable ( not promoted or marketed ), wouldn't it still be as good ? 

( I try to explain that to " you know who " --- but, not a chance ) !!

LOL-- And, about the Rolex watches they sell on the Islands---- They are " real " . The Salesman told me and offered me a " special price " because he remembered me from a previous cruise . ( I must have a twin brother because we were never there before ). 

Oh well, It's all part of the " fun " of cruising.

Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a bag? To answer your question it is the same as owning fine jewelry. You have a few good things that you use or wear all the time and will wear forever or in the case of a bag the same. Good things never go out of style..they are timeless. That is why. I have 3 expensive bags..that’s it, and over the course of years have spent less money than I would have buying an assortment of cheap bags. To each his own. It is just like good jewelry, you have it, you wear it, and enjoy it forever. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a bag? To answer your question it is the same as owning fine jewelry. You have a few good things that you use or wear all the time and will wear forever or in the case of a bag the same. Good things never go out of style..they are timeless. That is why. I have 3 expensive bags..that’s it, and over the course of years have spent less money than I would have buying an assortment of cheap bags. To each his own. It is just like good jewelry, you have it, you wear it, and enjoy it forever. 

My DW would agree with you!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

I think you are right to put it out there Shami.

Also, a lot of the pre-owned Rolexes onboard ships have ‘after-market’ parts on them which means that Rolex themselves will not touch them. It devalues the Rolex and means that the owner can never have a Rolex accredited watchmaker work on their watch! It is only Rolex accredited watchmakers that have the correct tools and equipment and access to original parts for those watches.
I don’t think many potential buyer realise that. It makes me feel very uneasy about this practice as these watches are very expensive and although buyers may me attracted by the diamonds added to the dials or bezels, these will actually devalue the purchase.

59 minutes ago, Orator said:

My DW would agree with you!

I have seen the disclaimer about the watches and I am sure others have also.   When I see someone looking at them I will warn them about not being able to get them serviced at a Authorized Rolex  Service Center.    I have heard that if you send the watch to one they will destroy it and not return it.   Don’t know how true it is.   

The prices on those watches aren’t that great of a bargain but if someone really wants one and doesn’t care about the watch being original they can always have it serviced by some watch repair service center.  One place is Universal Watch that is located in Birmingham MI.   They service watches and also have a interest if not own  the watch brand Benz.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

17 hours ago, Shami said:

I knew they were pre-owned.   The prices were less than a brand new bag.  I had already heard of the company that sells them.   They are a good deal.  Pre-owned vintage Louies don’t usually lose their value unless in bad shape.  

• Like 2

Many excellent fakes are being sold to unsuspecting people as being the real deal. Often see adds with prices that seem low. If it is too good to be true, it’s a fake.  It will still be a well made bag. It will look good, wear well, and cost less money than an authorized genuine bag.  It will likely look identical to a real bag. Other than being made to look like an LV bag, it will fool most people.  Copies in many places are outlawed. In France, counterfeiting LV bags is a punishable crime.