Pre-owned handbags in shops onboard-were others aware?

Shami

If you are in Europe - particularly Italy  - why not buy a Furla bag? Or you will probably notice (especially if travelling in Italy, Germany, Australia, Switzerland) “O Bags”. Buy one and use it - you may even pass for a local. BTW - O bags have nothing to do with Oprah, but are very popular.

• 3 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 6:22 PM, micruiser2002 said:

I thought it was very obvious that they were pre-owned.  A lot of them you can see the wear and tear.  Not sure about the comment about seeing this in port and not on a ship, these are not fakes they are just pre-owned. 

Correct. Have seen " What Goes Around......" in Dillards, Saks and other stores as well.

My wife has purchased  "Pre Owned" Rolex watches on X and they work fine and look like new.

Not sure she would go for the same thing in handbags..........

Come to think of it she is OK with a "Pre Owned" Husband so.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, BazingAu said:

It is my understanding that LVMH actually runs the stores on the ships. Are these returns they receive that are sold as preowned? Just curious where do they get the preowned merchandise from?

Apex also had preowned Chanel bags.  They are not returns but actual used (gently).  That is what the salesperson said.  All the used bags are in great shape.   I have old LV’s that still look brand new.  Dillards store also had preowned LV’s at an exorbitant price!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2022 at 8:42 PM, labdoggomom said:

What Goes Around Comes Around prices on LV is very much over retail.  I don't think there is LV branding on the ship should be the first indication that the bags are secondary market. Depending on the age/condition deals can be had. You will not find a deal on a cruise ship.

@labdoggomomI was recently on the Equinox and fell in love with a beautiful LV bag that was priced at $2500.  Thought it was high but salesperson assured me a brand new one would cost thousands more.  It also was pre loved but its condition so good it looked brand new.  I looked at it every night tried it on my arm etc but decided against the purchase. I guess I just don't know enough about them to make a rational decision. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 3:11 PM, BazingAu said:

Just curious where do they get the preowned merchandise from?

The salesperson on the Equinox told me they are bought at auctions.  Not sure how true this is but the two LV's I looked at appeared to be brand new. Not a mark not a scratch the inside was impeccably clean apparently some people buy new and never use them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

The salesperson on the Equinox told me they are bought at auctions.  Not sure how true this is but the two LV's I looked at appeared to be brand new. Not a mark not a scratch the inside was impeccably clean apparently some people buy new and never use them. 

We often see high end bags that are barely used at local auctions.  Same with designer dresses, jewelry and watches.  Even designer silk neckties recently.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 7:46 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I was amazed at the prices of LV bags on Edge in October. I had a large amount of OBC and bought a Coach bag. After I got home I saw a post about the LV bags being used and I was doubly amazed. 

There were also some previously owned Chanel bags for sale that were almost double what I paid new. All of the prices are going up at meteoric speed.

3 minutes ago, dateacher said:

There were also some previously owned Chanel bags for sale that were almost double what I paid new. All of the prices are going up at meteoric speed.

I was also aghast at the prices of the Chanel purses. More than double what I paid for mine 25 years ago at Chanel in NYC. TBH I would sell it but I am not sure what is a safe way to sell. Online seems so risky, since an unscrupulous buyer could claim it a fake.

32 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

I was also aghast at the prices of the Chanel purses. More than double what I paid for mine 25 years ago at Chanel in NYC. TBH I would sell it but I am not sure what is a safe way to sell. Online seems so risky, since an unscrupulous buyer could claim it a fake.

Probably a high end consignment store but they’d take a cut. 

very happy to have bought my LVs and Guccis a very long time ago. Still kicking myself for walking out of the Prada outlet empty handed 🤦🏻‍♀️  The price increases are insane.   

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 6:15 PM, Shami said:

We were on the Equinox last month and were in the shop selling Louis Vuitton bags. There were Louis Vuitton references all around the shop. I happened to look at one particular bag and spoke with the salesperson on two separate occasions. The third time, my husband was there and also spoke with the salesperson. After about a 10 minute conversation, the salesperson mentioned that this bag over here was only used twice. This prompted my husband to ask if the bags were pre-owned. We had assumed that all of the bags were new. The salesperson said yes, all of the Louis Vuitton bags are pre-owned. There was a sign on one of the displays that said "What Goes Around Comes Around." It looked like just a sign that mentioned a truism and nothing else. It turns out that is the name of the company selling the handbags and they sell "Vintage" items (pre-owned). I am just wondering if my husband and I are the only ones that did not realize that the merchandise in this store was not new, or do others not realize this. Just wondering. When we spoke with the Hotel Director to voice our concern that it should be clear to potential buyers, he confirmed that they also sell some pre-owned Rolexes in the watch store - although not all are pre-owned like the Louis Vuitton bags. Just want to say that the pricing was quite high and so that was not a tip-off that the bags were pre-owned. Sorry that the post is so long - just felt I needed to put this out there.

Same used items sold on Royal.  Also some watches are also used.  The "fancy term" is pre-owned. or vintage.    But they are second hand.  Yes, pricing is high.  IMO not worth it.

14 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Same used items sold on Royal.  Also some watches are also used.  The "fancy term" is pre-owned. or vintage.    But they are second hand.  Yes, pricing is high.  IMO not worth it.

I was also on the Equinox last month on a 10 night and saw 2 LV bags. Store signage was as described so I knew they were second hand although in such excellent condition that one would never know. It seemed odd that the smaller of the 2 bags was more costly by about $500 and when I questioned the salesperson she said it costs more to manufacture smaller bags which made no sense as there is more leather in the trim and handles of a larger bag. I personally felt its dependent on what they buy them for then price accordingly.  Far too much money for what they are.  Celebrity has to be making a killing off these bags. Unfortunately some person who's not very knowledgeable or has had one too many martinis will come along and purchase.  Also noted the dust bag inside was not an LV dustbag.  The majority of people would sell with original. Just my perception. 

5 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Also noted the dust bag inside was not an LV dust bag. 

I own a vintage ("Druout", 1999, 450$) LV handbag, didn't keep the dust bag...

Saw the same on Beyond, pristine condition for 1900$.

Sales lady mentioned that "vintage" demands a higher price....

s-l500.jpg.8367bfd77f03b4a7c2ef9554391f1839.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GRBlizz said:

Check out Midtown Authentic in NJ to sell yours

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 7:27 PM, drakes2 said:

@labdoggomomI was recently on the Equinox and fell in love with a beautiful LV bag that was priced at $2500.  

Good grief!  I could buy four pair of full quill ostrich western style boots for that.  And they would be new.  😁

Wow, i appreciate this thread.  I know the Rolex's were preowned, but didnt realize the purses were too.  I dont remember seeing a sign on Silhouette a couple weeks ago, but will definitely look next month on Apex.  My wife isnt real keen on used purses so that may keep her from spending a lot of $$$.  

18 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Wow, i appreciate this thread.  I know the Rolex's were preowned, but didnt realize the purses were too.  I dont remember seeing a sign on Silhouette a couple weeks ago, but will definitely look next month on Apex.  My wife isnt real keen on used purses so that may keep her from spending a lot of $$$.  

It was obvious the 2 bags I looked at were not used or perhaps used 1x.  Some people just buy to collect them not sure why but I guess there's a lot of money out there.  These 2 bags did not have any marks inside or out but if they belonged to someone can't be re sold as new. Nevertheless I would not spend that kind of money and be nervous to walk around with one anyway.  I could be relieved of my beautiful LV bag in a flash. Always someone watching. 

40 minutes ago, Texed said:

Good grief!  I could buy four pair of full quill ostrich western style boots for that.  And they would be new.  😁

No kidding. $2500 x $1.40 CAD fx rate = $3500. Oh but it looks so beautiful on your arm, everyone will envy you.  You can charge it on 2 credit cards. Yada Yada Yada. Yep, heard it all. 

Pre-owned luxury accessories are no different than certified pre-owned luxury cars, except they hold their value better, and more often than not appreciate.  They'’ve been authenticated if you're purchasing from a reputable reseller, and not a random website.  What Goes Around is indeed reputable, and I look forward to browsing the inventory on my next cruise. 

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/what-to-wear/g32573921/best-designer-handbags/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Princessdimd said:

Pre-owned luxury accessories are no different than certified pre-owned luxury cars, except they hold their value better, and more often than not appreciate.  They'’ve been authenticated if you're purchasing from a reputable reseller, and not a random website.  What Goes Around is indeed reputable, and I look forward to browsing the inventory on my next cruise. 

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/what-to-wear/g32573921/best-designer-handbags/

They were beautiful bags for sure and in impeccable condition inside and out just did not feel worth the high price tag. Now if I had lots of NR OBC perhaps would have purchased.

• 5 months later...

My husband and I were sailing last July on the Celebrity Summit, when the first of the WGACA stores was having its grand opening on this particular cruise.  They had a few LV items displayed in another of the shops before the grand opening, and I asked a salesperson about them.  The salesperson was very helpful and told me that the items were "gently used, some only once or twice, or in print ads or on the runway."  She let me take a peek in the store a couple of days later before it opened to the rest of the passengers.  I was treated like royalty and I bought a small Gucci purse which looked like new.  And before the end of the cruise, my husband bought me Louis Vuitton small purse, which was described as "pre-owned" and I was well aware of it.  It was not in immaculate condition (strap showed some wear) but I was made aware of it, and I felt the prices were much better than Gucci or LV items brand new.  I am very happy with my purchases,  WGACA definitely authenticates what it sells, as authentic. And I look forward to shopping in the WGACA shop a month from now on an upcoming cruise back on the Celebrity Summit.  If you think the prices are too high or the merchandise is not to your liking, then just don't shop there!  I personally love that Celebrity has added these shops, and WGACA is very upfront that their products are pre-owned.  As is Celebrity.

Edited by Water709