Just off summit

sullyd

55 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I am very sorry that this was your experience when you were hoping for so much better.

You mention that you wore your mask "only when required", so we can assume that it was off more than on?  I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am only looking for more clarification.  I know that tone doesn't come across on posting so please don't take this in any other form than just trying to get information.

Also, even though a person may test negative, as you said regarding the passengers boarding on the 1st day, there may still be some (or many) who are actually positive but the viral load is not strong enough to come through at that moment when the testing is performed.  The virus may also be incubating and come forth later on.  It is a difficult time for all. 

Yes

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

The terms and conditions do require anyone that develops symptoms within 14 days of disembarking to notify them.

How do you report?  DH and I got off Equinox on Saturday and tested positive on Tuesday.  This was our fourth cruise since August 2021 and the first where masks were not required in the airport or on the ship. 

22 minutes ago, MBP1 said:

This is right, at some point we'll have to stop counting cases and making a big deal over it. I cruise next month and just hope I test negative before boarding. As with everything I read on CC I take it with a grain of salt, many posters here are some of the loudest voices, there are tons of other people out there cruising and having a great time without worry. 

Couldn’t agree more. We cruised early this month, getting back to the UK my husband tested positive, no surprise really, we knew that was a risk we took and we fully accept responsibility for.  We don’t and won’t blame Celebrity or other passengers. We are there again at the end of August when hopefully infection rates will have reduced but again, if we get it, we get it, our responsibility. The alternative is to stay in the UK, an easy choice for us.

• Like 10

Just returned from Adventure of the Seas Saturday.  We are double vaxed and double boosted.  Tested positive two days later in spite of the fact that we avoided all crowded areas, wore masks and took the stairs. This new variant is so catchy. We can’t blame the cruise line, it’s everywhere. Luckily most only have mild symptoms. 
Crew were all wearing N95 masks under their Royal masks. Very few passengers masked. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 3

I’m amazed that some people think they are safe on a ship because everyone is at least partially vaxxed and tested negative 2 days before the cruise. So you test and then travel to the ship, planes, trains, whatever - exposure! And who knows how many of those tests simply didn’t pick up it up THAT DAY. Then you get on a ship - what does everyone do on a cruise ship? Haha! Eat and drink - masks don’t even come into the picture…and social distance in the MDR? C’mon! 

This variant is ridiculously transmissible. We are cruising fully prepared to contract it. Also - I will be much more concerned with the passengers than the crew. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cajuntraveler said:

How do you report?  DH and I got off Equinox on Saturday and tested positive on Tuesday.  This was our fourth cruise since August 2021 and the first where masks were not required in the airport or on the ship. 

Called to report ,their not that concerned .

• Thanks 1

FYI,  the antigen tests have about a 30% false negative rate from what I have read.  The PCR tests are much more accurate.

If we test positive before our upcoming cruise will just take the money and do a land vacation.

Just now, akronmaid said:

There are cruise lines that require a negative PCR test, and do daily PCR testing. They are out there if you look.

And people will still test positive and there will still be covid.

• Like 5

Looking forward to our September New England/Canada cruise on the Summit. Did a B2B cruise on RC Explorer Of The Seas in March. Tested prior to the cruise, tested for TAD. No signs of covid before, during or after the cruise. Vaccinated and booster. 

Edited by davekathy

5 minutes ago, akronmaid said:

There are cruise lines that require a negative PCR test, and do daily PCR testing. They are out there if you look.

Names, please. Don't hold back. This is potentially good information.

2 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

Names, please. Don't hold back. This is potentially good information.

Viking is one. PCR lab onboard. Masks. Limited capacity pools, dining rooms, etc. No one on our cruise got it, although it is possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Testing the day of or the day before gives a totally false perspective on the actual status of those boarding

Many people miss this point. When I had covid in February, I tested negative on a Sunday at 5:00 pm, and positive on Monday at 2:00 pm. I wasn't on a ship, just saying I'm sure that happens.

And unless every crew member is tested every day (which I understand can't be done), it can just start all over again.

I just came off of the Eclipse, and I did have a good time, I wore my mask everywhere indoors, but I still worried. But I did know the risk of quarantine in Vancouver. Luckily it didn't happen.  

• Like 1

Given that people who need a test to re-enter the USA (from Europe) and paid for a test through Celebrity are only being given these as they step off the ship, you can conclude that Celebrity wants nothing to do with people who test positive and will do everything to ensure “you’re not their responsibility”

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Seacrab said:

Given that people who need a test to re-enter the USA (from Europe) and paid for a test through Celebrity are only being given these as they step off the ship, you can conclude that Celebrity wants nothing to do with people who test positive and will do everything to ensure “you’re not their responsibility”

Canada too, because if you test positive while on the ship in Canada, the cruise line is responsible for quarantining you either on the ship or putting you up in Vancouver. So if you really want to be safe, you need to bring your own test from home to take before you go back to the US while you're still on the ship.

1 hour ago, Peteymil said:

Many people miss this point. When I had covid in February, I tested negative on a Sunday at 5:00 pm, and positive on Monday at 2:00 pm. I wasn't on a ship, just saying I'm sure that happens.

And unless every crew member is tested every day (which I understand can't be done), it can just start all over again.

I just came off of the Eclipse, and I did have a good time, I wore my mask everywhere indoors, but I still worried. But I did know the risk of quarantine in Vancouver. Luckily it didn't happen.  

Similar to you I tested Negative on 4/28 at 9:00 PM (self tested antigen)  before our 7:30 AM B2B test.   I thought no problem but when I got my results back that I had tested Positive My jaw dropped to the floor.   Iain thought i was pulling his leg until the Doctor showed up at the door a couple minutes later.       Thinking it was a false positive I tested the next day after getting tossed off the ship and the Positive showed within 15 seconds even before the test got up to the control line. 

6 hours ago, Mark_T said:

With respect, that is an unreasonable expectation if you choose to cruise at this time.

We all need to accept that covid is endemic, and will be present onboard, when we go ashore and when we travel to/from the ports, and thus set our expectations and behaviour accordingly.

100% correct. The cruiselines can’t possibly test everyone nor quarantine all those that become positive. The current variant is super contagious, but for most if vaccinated and boostered you’ll recover in short order. We also have therapies to treat it. If you can’t take on the risk, probably shouldn’t cruise at this time. We have to change our thinking from pandemic to endemic as quoted poster notes. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sullyd said:

1723 people tested negative 48 hrs before boarding. Did the crew test 48 hrs before we boarded? The only thing I know is 1723 people tested negative to get on board . Mid cruise lots of coughing, hacking and sneezing. I have mild symptoms tested only because of being on the ship ,24 hrs post cruise and I’m positive and quarantining 5 days. 

And I bet most of them took rapid antigen tests which will come back negative unless you have symptoms. It is quite easy for people to board and already have the virus before symptoms start. 

Nothing against the OP, but why are people complaining about catching COVID when they choose to cruise during a pandemic with hundreds of other unmasked guests? That is the risk you decided to take. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, donna1009 said:

100% correct. The cruiselines can’t possibly test everyone nor quarantine all those that become positive. The current variant is super contagious, but for most if vaccinated and boostered you’ll recover in short order. We also have therapies to treat it. If you can’t take on the risk, probably shouldn’t cruise at this time. We have to change our thinking from pandemic to endemic as quoted poster notes. 

Well I have had covid for 10 days now & have not been this sick in at least 30 years. I took paxlovid also. I used to walk 3.5 Miles per day. Going up one flight of stairs now I am winded. I am double boosted. I wear an N95 mask anytime indoors. I lost over 5lbs due to covid. I still have a cough, sneezing , short of breath & can't sleep well at night. Plus covid survivors have a 20% chance of getting long covid. So this is not just a walk in the park. Seriously think about not going on a cruise until this super contagious variant decreases. It's not worth getting covid just to take a vacation.

• Like 1

Every time I travel, I assume I am going to get COVID, especially now that there are no mask mandates in airports and on airplanes! So far I have been very lucky! I am sailing again on Sunday on the Equinox. I have been self-isolating for 10 days to be sure I don't test positive before boarding, but I will not be surprised if I get exposed onboard. Such are the times we live in and the risks we take to travel.

• Like 6