Nausea and Vomiting on Carnival Magic now docked in VA -- Toxic Fumes

31 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I wonder if they were forthcoming with the affected passengers about what they were exposed to..... I'd want something a lot more specific than "paint" or "chemicals".

Unlikely they will be that transparent. The "hush money" will be time limited, like until they get off the ship. CCL does not need to follow US laws. Coast Guard jurisdiction is limited, especially in international waters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, groundloop said:

That comes down to what the guests were exposed to, so far it sounds like nobody knows for sure.

I agree, but if it was from something the crew was using and spread through the ventilation system, I would imagine the exposure would be minimal, but I'm only speculating.

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

From some googling, I read that the US Coast Guard is responsible for cruise ship safety... (https://www.transportation.gov/mission/safety/passenger-cruise-ship-information)

So could one assume that the USCG would take\make a report and that would be public record?

You will notice that in the section of this link devoted to "cruise ship safety", that the USCG can only enforce the SOLAS regulations promulgated by the IMO, and not the stricter regulations that apply to US flag vessels.  The US does claim "extraterritorial jurisdiction" for crimes committed against US citizens in international waters (not in foreign countries' territorial waters), but these tend to be criminal charges not civil suits.  As part of the "port state control", the USCG can inspect the vessel and determine if one or more of the international conventions have been violated, since the complaints are being made while the ship is in a US port.  However, primary jurisdiction resides with the Bahamian Maritime Authority.  The USCG may or may not make a report, based on what is found in the inspection, and that would likely be made public, but the USCG Incident website is notoriously slow (months) in updating reports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

However, primary jurisdiction resides with the Bahamian Maritime Authority. 

Don't forget that the Carnival Magic is registered in Panama, not in the Bahamas.

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You will notice that in the section of this link devoted to "cruise ship safety", that the USCG can only enforce the SOLAS regulations promulgated by the IMO, and not the stricter regulations that apply to US flag vessels.  The US does claim "extraterritorial jurisdiction" for crimes committed against US citizens in international waters (not in foreign countries' territorial waters), but these tend to be criminal charges not civil suits.  As part of the "port state control", the USCG can inspect the vessel and determine if one or more of the international conventions have been violated, since the complaints are being made while the ship is in a US port.  However, primary jurisdiction resides with the Bahamian Maritime Authority.  The USCG may or may not make a report, based on what is found in the inspection, and that would likely be made public, but the USCG Incident website is notoriously slow (months) in updating reports.

Fascinating! Thanks for the great info. Regards.

We got off the Magic this morning and didn't see, hear, or smell anything about this.  I'm guessing only a small number of passengers were involved.

While they're launching an investigation, they should look into Norfolk's embark/debark procedures (or lack thereof).  Our embarkation was 4 hours end to end, and we debarked about 30 minutes past the everybody-off time, with only a few self-debarkers and no checked-luggage debarkers off by then.

• Like 4

I was on this cruise- we were on the 7th floor and not effected although I did smell something while using the aft stairs.

We were notified on Wednesday that they would be painting and to keep our shades closed etc.  When we got off the ship in Freeport, I did see painters painting the lifeboats in the aft.  I heard that they did not close the air intake in the area and that's what caused the issue. 

There were a few posts in my group about people being sick - everything from headaches/ nausea/ vomiting to someone having a seizure, people in deep sleeps who had to be woken up and someone who was so out of it they tried to jump overboard.  There was a medical emergency call Wednesday afternoon so that's the only thing I can confirm. There were lines at guess services pretty much all week but they were extra long that day. 

• Like 1

If they were painting the lifeboats, they were most likely using a urethane clear coat, and these fumes can cause the symptoms reported, and the air intakes should have been closed during application.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm still not clear as to which sailing this was on since nobody has ever put a time..

Was this the sailing that was just over yesterday morning or the cruise that returned back last saturday?

14 hours ago, DCDragonfly said:

We got off the Magic this morning and didn't see, hear, or smell anything about this.  I'm guessing only a small number of passengers were involved.

While they're launching an investigation, they should look into Norfolk's embark/debark procedures (or lack thereof).  Our embarkation was 4 hours end to end, and we debarked about 30 minutes past the everybody-off time, with only a few self-debarkers and no checked-luggage debarkers off by then.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If they were painting the lifeboats, they were most likely using a urethane clear coat, and these fumes can cause the symptoms reported, and the air intakes should have been closed during application.

Oh dear, new untrained crew....sounds like P&O Ferries in the UK. Cluster Womble !!!!

3 hours ago, csoud68 said:

I'm still not clear as to which sailing this was on since nobody has ever put a time..

Was this the sailing that was just over yesterday morning or the cruise that returned back last saturday?

It was the 5/21- 5/26 sailing 

CCL has thrown a lot of money at this to keep it quiet with comps, FCC, cash, etc. NDA required to get those as well. Seems like overkill for just some urethane odors especially when guests were notified in advance. Their usual damage control is to deny, minimize, and change the subject. Good corporate PR. I think something smells here and it's not just urethane.

3 hours ago, keiko618 said:

CCL has thrown a lot of money at this to keep it quiet with comps, FCC, cash, etc. NDA required to get those as well. Seems like overkill for just some urethane odors especially when guests were notified in advance. Their usual damage control is to deny, minimize, and change the subject. Good corporate PR. I think something smells here and it's not just urethane.

How did that work for them? It was already all over the internet. Nobody was coerced into signing anything - they were still going to refund the cruise fare.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

How did that work for them? It was already all over the internet. Nobody was coerced into signing anything - they were still going to refund the cruise fare.

The bigger question is: what more could Carnival have done to mitigate the guests' discomfort? My answer is: nothing. Refund of cruise fare; $1,200 future cruise credit, and what else did they offer?  Time to get off this subject and move on. 

We are Scheduled to board Magic Monday the 30th in Norfolk. Where is she now?  I’m confused, if the cruise ended on the 26th, where did it end, and where did it go for the nights of 26-29 to come into Norfolk Monday morning?  Is she coming in empty?  

And reading about a 4 hr embarkation is daunting. We have a 1pm arrival time (5 hr drive to the port).  Maybe we should carry camp stools?  Ugh. 

Any suggestions or additions information or clarification is appreciated.
Maureen 

• Like 1

Magic is on a four night cruise to Bermuda (and back).  Rather than waste time wondering where she is, check her out on cruisetimetables.com.  Lots of interesting info there, should be bookmarked by every cruiser.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I just returned from the Carnival Horizon 8 night cruise which departed May 14th..  They were painting the outside of the ship when we boarded in Miami.  They painted my veranda when we were in Aruba.  They painted above me when we were in Curacao.  Painting again in Amber Cove.  Yes, you can smell the paint but at no time was I ever feeling ill.  The only nights that I had to leave my balcony was when the neighbors lighted up marijuana!  

David

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Magic is on a four night cruise to Bermuda (and back).  Rather than waste time wondering where she is, check her out on cruisetimetables.com.  Lots of interesting info there, should be bookmarked by every cruiser.  EM

Thanks for this info EM!  I’ll keep  hopeful for our embarkation🤞  
m— 

7 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I just returned from the Carnival Horizon 8 night cruise which departed May 14th..  They were painting the outside of the ship when we boarded in Miami.  They painted my veranda when we were in Aruba.  They painted above me when we were in Curacao.  Painting again in Amber Cove.  Yes, you can smell the paint but at no time was I ever feeling ill.  The only nights that I had to leave my balcony was when the neighbors lighted up marijuana!  

David

Did you report that? Smoking of any kind on a balcony is not only prohibited, but also dangerous and could cause a fire. About the last thing Carnival now needs is another fire. 

11 hours ago, Joe817 said:

The bigger question is: what more could Carnival have done to mitigate the guests' discomfort? My answer is: nothing. Refund of cruise fare; $1,200 future cruise credit, and what else did they offer?  Time to get off this subject and move on. 

Not charging people for medical assistance they needed over something the crew created woulkd be an obvious step, before trying to buy peoples; silence.

• Like 1