Crew Issues.....and disappointment in RCCL

Further - here's the kicker.

What if we go on these barely manned cruises, where we are definitely NOW spending MORE than EVER on cruises - and we get the excuse "Sorry, we're undermanned, we regret this inconvenience" isn't that enough to demand the cruise be pro-rated due to these inconveniences? I cannot see anyone with common sense or care about how much they pay for a cruise to simply say, "it is what it is" definitely not ME.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

i still believe the issue is this particular ship was doing 600 to 800 pax out of Barbados and was doing fine. Then it arrived in texas and rcl didnt have extra staff to put on this ship. Plus any new crew had to isolate. Lol our captain was in isolation so we didnt see him until the 3rd leg at the tier party for pictures. 

It's because this particular ship jumped from 600 to 800 pax to close to 2k and probably 2k this summer literally overnight. They did pull the may 13 and may 18 bookings from rcl website and cut them off .. so I think they are aware of omgosh . .we have no extra staff to move to grandeur. I didnt realize I was the first out of texas until after I booked but I did see this coming.

Go and enjoy, just be aware. Choose meal times more carefully. Go before 1230 for lunch for instance. Not saying this ship isnt good, just rcl jump pax more than double, almost triple literally overnight. You should expect issues. Hopefully they will improve.

Did just watch a Video from Royal Employee and he said no more Quarantine for new Employees. Also they will start letting them off on Stops again. Should help some with shortages, day Employee reports to Ship they can start Working that day

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Further - here's the kicker.

What if we go on these barely manned cruises, where we are definitely NOW spending MORE than EVER on cruises - and we get the excuse "Sorry, we're undermanned, we regret this inconvenience" isn't that enough to demand the cruise be pro-rated due to these inconveniences? I cannot see anyone with common sense or care about how much they pay for a cruise to simply say, "it is what it is" definitely not ME.

YMMV.  I am spending no more, and often less, on each of my post-restart cruises.  I can live with some minor "issues" at the prices I'm paying.

• Like 3

We have done 14 cruises on 3 different cruise lines since restart. We are also currently booked on 15 more over the next 18 months. We sailed on the Allure with 800 passengers and just got off the Carnival Mardi Gras with over 6000. We have no expectation of business as usual for now. We are just glad to be sailing again.  Staffing is an issue because of Visas, supplies are an entirely different issue. All said if I was unhappy I would not continue to book but I have adjusted to the new normal. I am expecting things to get better as we have had some very bad experiences but the good outweighs the bad. Just please appreciate the staff that is working so very hard to do the best they can for us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Everywhere I go I see "HIRING NOW" signs.  Why should cruise ships be any different?  

How did we as a society get into this situation?  

I recently read an article on either Cruise Hive or Cruise Industry News that said the visa problem has been compounded by up to 35% of former crew who have opted to keep their land based jobs instead of returning. That gives a double whammy to the cruise lines trying staff up. Of course to mitigate the staffing issues the cruises lines should cut back on bookings to maintain a quality guest experience. Cunard has done that and it would be good to see the other lines cut pax capacity back to 70% or something like that for the ships that are severely understaffed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The problem is the US office that handles the Visas for the crew is extremely backed up. If the current crew aren't extended, there isn't anyone to replace them. This isn't just a RCCL problem, all cruise lines are facing this. 

I do feel for the crew. They are doing their best under the circumstances.

If the problem is affecting the cruise experience then it’s a RCCL problem. 

• Like 4

Hey TX Cruisers, how ya doin?  Miss you two.

Now my spiel....we are pretty easy on crew, at least stewards.  They like us and always seem to remember we are the people who never demand anything and pretty much police our own cabin.  I have told our steward, no sheets changing...I do not change our home sheets everyday, why should we demand that.  I keep our cabin ship shape, things put away and spread the bed in seconds, I just don't like junk laying around untidy!  So about the only thing we require is new towels everyday and maybe  some ice in cabin.  If we didn't see the steward at all during a cruise I wouldn't whine much. Same with MDR, we love the crew and staff but I don't mind winging it at all.  I really don't cruise to be pampered.  It's nice not to have to cook or clean, but I don't mind keeping that little room we have.

I think all of us should cut them some slack with these duties until things finally return to whatever normal is.  Covid and it's subsequent handling has changed the way we live in more ways than cruising.  These kids could just resign and go home for a while, they can always reapply later.  THere will always be someone worse off that will jump at the chance to work the lines.  In the meantime, pull together........just sayin

• Like 8

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

I think all of us should cut them some slack with these duties until things finally return to whatever normal is.  Covid and it's subsequent handling has changed the way we live in more ways than cruising.  These kids could just resign and go home for a while, they can always reapply later.  THere will always be someone worse off that will jump at the chance to work the lines.  In the meantime, pull together........just sayin

In other words, live by the immortal words of cruising: "Go with the Flow." You'll have a much better cruise experience. 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

the cruises lines should cut back on bookings to maintain a quality guest experience.

Yeah, but all the lines have taken a severe hit throughout the last 2 years, they gotta catch up or go out of business like a few already have.  It's a new world, I for one don't think it will ever be the same as 5 or so yrs past.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

So about the only thing we require is new towels everyday and maybe  some ice in cabin.  If we didn't see the steward at all during a cruise I wouldn't whine much. Same with MDR, we love the crew and staff but I don't mind winging it at all.  I really don't cruise to be pampered.  It's nice not to have to cook or clean, but I don't mind keeping that little room we have.

I don't even ask for towels every single day.... I am drying a clean body and if hung up properly instead of being left on the bed they will dry like new.

• Like 3

Just now, WheresWalter said:

In other words, live by the immortal words of cruising: "Go with the Flow." You'll have a much better cruise experience. 🙂

Really more like.....just be kind and thoughtful.  It's still the best vaca out there imho

• Like 3

Just now, vjmatty said:

I don't even ask for towels every single day.... I am drying a clean body and if hung up properly instead of being left on the bed they will dry like new.

Yeah, we do that unless they are really wet, sometimes they don't dry very well in there!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Now my spiel....we are pretty easy on crew, at least stewards.  They like us and always seem to remember we are the people who never demand anything and pretty much police our own cabin.  I have told our steward, no sheets changing...I do not change our home sheets everyday, why should we demand that.  I keep our cabin ship shape, things put away and spread the bed in seconds, I just don't like junk laying around untidy!  So about the only thing we require is new towels everyday and maybe  some ice in cabin.  If we didn't see the steward at all during a cruise I wouldn't whine much. Same with MDR, we love the crew and staff but I don't mind winging it at all.  I really don't cruise to be pampered.  It's nice not to have to cook or clean, but I don't mind keeping that little room we have.

See the thing is that I only have 5 weeks of vacation per year so I'm just not willing to compromise much seeing as there are soooo many other vacation options where I can spend our hard earned money on. 

And as for sheets, yeah we kinda do need them changed daily as well as extra clean towels, we're on vacation after all.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ashland said:

RCI moved to full capacity and running all fleet ships much too soon.

Appreciate your opinion.  I’m grateful they didn’t go to full capacity sooner…the glory days are over. Now it’s time for the industry to survive. If they could man all ships, we’d be seeing all ships…which would be awesome. 

Edited by bucfan2

41 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

news to me that some request sheets changed daily and not just at the end of legs.

You are way way more demanding than I am for instance. You want fresh towels daily and ice.

Now ice is a special request and towels are only changed if I drop them on the floor. I've never had my towels all changed every day. And dont request ice.

I keep my cabin very neat.   ..must shows how what one thinks is undemanding another thinks is special requests. Heck I only got one little soap last leg and was going to get another done but just never did.

I do want a fresh box of tissues in the desk. I don't want someones left overs. That's my only special request. I see now they leave a opened box of tissues .. I want a new box I open. I often told mine to just skip me. 

Never knew some wanted daily sheet changes, wow. To me asking for ice special is asking for something I'd expect to tip extra for. Special requests. .. though I do give extra. 

2 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

My apologies, I understood the title of the post to be RCCL not ship specific to the GOS, I took the liberty to add my recent experience with Princess to add to the discussion and to gauge what is going on with RCCL since our next cruise is on the Wonder.  

No apologies needed. Read an article just yesterday from Business Insider about cruise lines cancelling cruises due to staff shortages. It is NOT just Royal. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/carnival-royal-caribbean-struggling-to-hire-crew-members-2022-5 

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

This has been my experience on 7 pre-COVID Grandeur cruises and 1 post-restart Enchantment cruise.  I don't recall ever seeing more than 2 people working (or separate lines) at Cafe Lattitudes.

Did you notice the same thing on Enchantment that the OP is reporting on GOS?

36 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

See the thing is that I only have 5 weeks of vacation per year so I'm just not willing to compromise much seeing as there are soooo many other vacation options where I can spend our hard earned money on. 

And as for sheets, yeah we kinda do need them changed daily as well as extra clean towels, we're on vacation after all.......

Agreed. I am paying more than I had before; I will not drop my expectations one bit. That said, we have had several sailings since the restart and have had very positive experiences. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Well said. Compassion. Everyone that has cruised in the past has a set of expectations but things are not as they were. Check out this article. https://www.businessinsider.com/carnival-royal-caribbean-struggling-to-hire-crew-members-2022-5

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

Well said. Compassion. Everyone that has cruised in the past has a set of expectations but things are not as they were. Check out this article. https://www.businessinsider.com/carnival-royal-caribbean-struggling-to-hire-crew-members-2022-5

They would have no problem hiring whatsoever if they had better pay and working conditions. Period. 

• Like 3

We were on Grandeur May 8th-13th and while it wasn't spectacular, it certainly wasn't horrible.

"Hope for the best, expect the worst" - it's ALL about setting your expectations. We had no major disappointments. Had been on Indy back in October (to CoCo Cay) and was like a ghost ship most of the time. Not sure what percentage, but definitely "light".

ANY day cruising beats the heck out of a day sitting around the apartment wishing we were cruising.

I DID cancel our September booking for Grandeur (4 nights) and will wait until January for 10 nights on Radiance (to Panama/Colombia).

HOPEFULLY, by then the "issues" we're seeing will be resolved or more nearly so.

21 minutes ago, GJustice said:

ANY day cruising beats the heck out of a day sitting around the apartment wishing we were cruising.

Right, but there are vacations other than cruising.  I never understood why people restrict the "universe" of choices to cruising or staying at home.

What level of service on a cruise, for example, would make you choose an all-inclusive over a cruise for your next vacation?  If none, then the advice/mindset you have is really only applicable to people who would never do any vacation other than a cruise.  I cannot imagine that is most (or even many) people.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GJustice said:

We were on Grandeur May 8th-13th and while it wasn't spectacular, it certainly wasn't horrible.

"Hope for the best, expect the worst" - it's ALL about setting your expectations. We had no major disappointments. Had been on Indy back in October (to CoCo Cay) and was like a ghost ship most of the time. Not sure what percentage, but definitely "light".

I DID cancel our September booking for Grandeur (4 nights) and will wait until January for 10 nights on Radiance (to Panama/Colombia).

HOPEFULLY, by then the "issues" we're seeing will be resolved or more nearly so.

I dont remember meeting you on that leg. I did the first 4. The fact you cancelled for sept, it cant have been that good but was one of the better of the 4.

Looks like I'm on the same radiance cruise jan 30th ? .. looking forward to it. Hopefully radiance is big enough to have hot pizza. And a sorrentos. Idk .. but looking forward to Panama myself.