RCCL Staff did not recognize Virginia Enhanced Drivers License

That's kind of funny. (not) A friend of ours tried to board a cruise with a CA Real ID and learned the same thing as the OP. A Real ID is not a substitute for a passport. 

A Real ID will get you on a domestic flight (after May 2023) or entry into a federal building. As will a passport card or passport. But that is about it. 

I don't have to go into federal buildings that often. And when we fly, we have our passports or passport cards for domestic flights. They are really not good for much of anything. We now have these fancy passport holders for passports and vaccine cards. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I still don't understand jumping through all these hops when you can get a passport and be done with it. 

I would get guess it depends on the reason someone wants one. I know people that live near the Canadian border and only want it to cross the border back and forth. It's a lot cheaper than a passport. 

Edited by dcgrumpy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SNemeth said:

I live in VT and we have had both Real ID and Enhanced DL for years.  I get the Real ID because we have to, but I have never paid extra for Enhanced because a Passport opens more doors.  Enhanced is like getting the passport card instead of the Passport.  You can't fly internationally with Enhanced DL or Passport Card, so why bother.  

You could cross the boarder into Canada with an Enhanced Driver's License, or use it as a acceptable  ID if your passport is expired and you wanted to take advantage of a really great Alaska cruise deal.

A passport lasts for 10 years.  Current cost for renewal is $130, or less than $11/year.  If you cruise once every 3 years and can't afford an extra $33 for that vacation (less than the cost of two cocktails) then maybe you should rethink your priorities.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Embarkation day was OK, aside from confusion with Royal Staff over my Enhanced Drivers License from Virginia.

Virginia's REAL ID is different from the regular drivers license because they have a STAR within a circle on it.  The Royal Staffer insisted it had to have the word "ENHANCED" on it to be valid.

This was out of Cape Liberty NJ, last week boarding Adventure of the Seas, 31 May thru 4 June to Halifax, NS.

Luckily, I also had my passport!

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#real_id.asp

Your issue is that Virginia does not have enhanced driver’s licenses. You have a Real ID. A Real ID is not the same as an enhanced driver’s license. You should have been denied boarding. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, rudeney said:

A passport lasts for 10 years.  Current cost for renewal is $130, or less than $11/year.  If you cruise once every 3 years and can't afford an extra $33 for that vacation (less than the cost of two cocktails) then maybe you should rethink your priorities.

when I got my passport they wouldn't give me the 10 year payment plan. They made me pay the whole thing at once.☹️

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Your issue is that Virginia does not have enhanced driver’s licenses. You have a Real ID. A Real ID is not the same as an enhanced driver’s license. You should have been denied boarding. 

OP had his passport available too. :classic_smile:

9 hours ago, BND said:

I live in VA.  It's a real PITA to get a Real ID.  I know people who have had to go back because having the correct documents can be a hassle. My Dad for example has had a passport (expired) but when he went to get his Real ID a few years ago, it was discovered that on his BC his middle name was misspelled by one letter.  He had to jump through hoops and go through the state he was born in to get it fixed first.  No one had ever noticed and the spelling was correct on every other official document he had.  I haven't gotten one yet but I really don't need it.  Besides a passport, I have a dependent military ID as my DH is a retired US Navy Captain.  My DL doesn't expire for a few years so eventually I'll do it, but have been putting it off since I don't really need it and at one point getting an appointment (due to Covid) was virtually impossible. 

But, I knew I couldn't use the VA DL to cruise.  

Was fortunate already having Enhanced DL to get Real/Star didnt have to provide anything new. EDL was due to expire, sent me new Enhanced adding Star(Real), ordered online delivered out of State also used my old Photo from 39months ago. So much for Security...

Edited by ONECRUISER

16 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Embarkation day was OK, aside from confusion with Royal Staff over my Enhanced Drivers License from Virginia.

Virginia's REAL ID is different from the regular drivers license because they have a STAR within a circle on it.  The Royal Staffer insisted it had to have the word "ENHANCED" on it to be valid.

This was out of Cape Liberty NJ, last week boarding Adventure of the Seas, 31 May thru 4 June to Halifax, NS.

Luckily, I also had my passport!

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#real_id.asp

Edited by adolfo2
DELETE PLEASE

17 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Virginia has been pushing hard for their REAL ID as a passport alternative. Most of the validating documents are citizenship related.

No, most of the supporting documents are to validate residency, not citizenship.  The only documents that validate citizenship are a birth certificate, a notice of birth abroad, or a naturalization certificate.

Because the State of Virginia tells me REAL ID is the alternative to the passport and they have no other alternatives.

Look up "Enhanced Drivers License Virginia" and you get Virginia DMV REAL ID.

But, if you look, the statement you quoted from the VA DMV says it is an alternative for a passport only for domestic air travel, not international.  You cannot use the Real ID for an international flight, nor for a cruise that leaves the US.  You could use it for a cruise on NCL's POA in Hawaii, or some of the other US flag cruise lines river and coastal cruises.

Yea, I don't really see a use for REAL ID now, other than to charge more for the drivers license.  I can use my passport or military ID for most needs.

I had to use my passport and SS card to get the REAL ID.  Both of the previous IDs have more clout.

It's like asking for a passport and SS card for a Library card and told the enhanced library card is only good at one library!

16 hours ago, rudeney said:

I have a passport, so I have no need for a "REAL ID", "Star ID" or "Enhanced Driver License".  There is no I tried to get a Star ID a few years back.  After waiting hours to see an examiner, I was denied because the utility bill I presented was a "copy" and they require an "original".  I get no utility bills by mail - they are all electronic, so any bill I can hand them will come off my printer.  That's when I decided I did not need to bother with it.  

While it is optional now, the law states that Real ID be mandatory in all states, though the deadline keeps getting pushed back.  At some point, you will need to get the Real ID, whether you want to or not, even if you never use it for travel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Why should they deny boarding to someone with a passport?   

A little bit of research goes a long way.......and not some hearsay, of people on facebook or other boards.  A star on your license is required by law now to make sure you are a valid citizen and qualify for the license.  You need it to travel domestically on planes.  It is not a passport, and is not acceptable for travel outside the country.  

21 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

A star on your license is required by law now to make sure you are a valid citizen and qualify for the license.

You do not need to be a citizen of the US to qualify for a Real ID (the one with the star), just a lawful resident.  Just a little research goes a long way......

Edited by RedIguana
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

You do not need to be a citizen of the US to qualify for a Real ID (the one with the star), just a lawful resident.  Just a little research goes a long way......

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While it is optional now, the law states that Real ID be mandatory in all states, though the deadline keeps getting pushed back.  At some point, you will need to get the Real ID, whether you want to or not, even if you never use it for travel.

I believe that is incorrect.  I believe the law is that federal agencies will only accept licenses that comply with REAL ID as of May 3, 2023.  However, in absence of a REAL ID, all federal agencies will accept my passport as proper identification.  Unless some new legislation is enacted, with a passport, I will not need a "Star ID" or "REAL ID".

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

I believe that is incorrect.  I believe the law is that federal agencies will only accept licenses that comply with REAL ID as of May 3, 2023.  However, in absence of a REAL ID, all federal agencies will accept my passport as proper identification.  Unless some new legislation is enacted, with a passport, I will not need a "Star ID" or "REAL ID".

It is mandatory in the sense that if you want the Federal Government or any of its agencies to accept your DL as valid identification, that state must comply with the Real ID Act (exemptions and extensions were built into the act and via continuing legislation). To the best of my knowledge, all 50 states and all but 1 territory are now compliant, so it is pretty much a moot point once the drivers license renewal times cycle through. I am going to end up spending the extra money to get a passport card along with the book when mine needs to be renewed next year, just so I have a card that  isn't as large as the book. The card is also valid for closed loop US cruises, so no worries about having easily acceptable ID for that time when I have to renew my passport in 11 years:) 

Edited by RedIguana
I can't type
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Correct, as of now.  My Mom needed to renew her license and we have decided, due to age and health, dragging her to the DMV for a REAL ID really isn't worth it.  I renewed her license online over the weekend, opting for a non compliant license.  She has a passport that expires in eight years, so that will be enough for her to fly, if that ever happens again.

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

A little bit of research goes a long way.......and not some hearsay, of people on facebook or other boards.  A star on your license is required by law now to make sure you are a valid citizen and qualify for the license.  You need it to travel domestically on planes.  It is not a passport, and is not acceptable for travel outside the country.  

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I am not a citizen yet and I have real ID. You just have to prove lawful presence.  

17 hours ago, poocher said:

It was very easy to get the Real ID LICENSE in CT.  Our renewal notice listed the documents needed.  I took them to my local AAA office. The process took about 15 minutes & I left with a temporary.   Got the license in the mail about 10 days later.  Easy peasy 

17 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Same with me in MA.  I also went to the local AAA office and was in and out in no time.  They send you a list of the exact documents that are accepted, was very simple.  Real ID arrived within a few weeks.

Welcome to Rhode Island. I went to AAA with the required documents and was told I needed to go to the main DMV branch because my passport had my middle name and my license only had my middle initial. I just renewed my license and left. I've been told the DMV rectified this with AAA but I have little interest until my license expires again. Maybe even less interest by then.

17 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

It is mandatory in the sense that if you want the Federal Government or any of its agencies to accept your DL as valid identification, that state must comply with the Real ID Act (exemptions and extensions were built into the act and via continuing legislation). To the best of my knowledge, all 50 states and all but 1 territory are now compliant, so it is pretty much a moot point once the drivers license renewal times cycle through. I am going to end up spending the extra money to get a passport card along with the book when mine needs to be renewed next year, just so I have a card that  isn't as large as the book. The card is also valid for closed loop US cruises, so no worries about having easily acceptable ID for that time when I have to renew my passport in 11 years:) 

I agree it's mandatory if you want to be able to use just a DL for ID federal agency purposes,but if you have a valid passport, it's not mandatory.  For states that just automatically issue a REAL ID upon renewal, that's great.  Unfortunately, my state (Alabama) makes us jump through a bunch of hoops.  We have to schedule an interview with a state officer and show four items.  They are very picky about those items and about half the people who attempt this process are rejected.  They often reject the "proof of address" document if it's a copy and not an "original".  As I've mentioned before, many people never have those as originals - they are printouts from online services.  Also, these state officers are in very short supply and it's hard to get an appointment.  It is much easier (and no additional effort) for new drivers as they are required to have all of these items when they apply for a license.  

55 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I am not a citizen yet and I have real ID. You just have to prove lawful presence.  

Well, you are lawful, so it is ok, my point was only to make that the DL with a star is not an ID to get you international travel.  

It will never be completely mandatory nationwide.  CA that he Real ID license as well as the "Federally non-compliant" licenses.  On top of these licenses they also offer the AB60 license which is a DL for those who are not legally present in the country.  I know there are other states that have these as well I'm just not sure which.  Needless to say, unless there was a significant change in some governments approach to  immigration the Real ID license will never be necessary for people with a passport.