ArriveCan

Going on Ovation to Alaska in August, with a stop in Canada.  I understand we need to enter vaccination data into the ArriveCan - no issues with that.  But the instructions say to enter the information within 72 hours.  Why is that?  Can't I enter the information now?  Would love to get it all done now and not have to worry about doing it 3 days before sailing.  Am I reading it wrong?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Mikewa said:

Going on Ovation to Alaska in August, with a stop in Canada.  I understand we need to enter vaccination data into the ArriveCan - no issues with that.  But the instructions say to enter the information within 72 hours.  Why is that?  Can't I enter the information now?  Would love to get it all done now and not have to worry about doing it 3 days before sailing.  Am I reading it wrong?  Thanks!

You can enter as much of the information as it will let you now, but it will not give you the QR code that you need until you are within the 72 hour window.

In reading some of the reviews for the app, it does sound like it can be frustrating.  Do I have to use the app?  Can't I just go onto the website with my chrome book to fill out the info we'll need?  We're cruising in September...TIA

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

In reading some of the reviews for the app, it does sound like it can be frustrating.  Do I have to use the app?  Can't I just go onto the website with my chrome book to fill out the info we'll need?  We're cruising in September...TIA

Sure, you can just go to the website and do it.  I didn't bring my laptop with me though, so it was easier to do on the app since I was already in the port city before I could get the QR code.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikewa said:

You can create your account and profiles for everyone at any time. You scan their passports and uploading vaccination information in advance. It is easier with the app to just point it at your passport and it will grab the data it needs. 72 hour before you embark the ship, you need to log back on to the app and answer the final health questions. Takes less than a minute per person. Really easy. Then you will have your QR code and COVID test results printed at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

72 hour before you embark the ship, you need to log back on to the app and answer the final health questions.

Did you experience that? Most reports suggest that the health questionnaire is not available till 24 hours out. 

18 hours ago, Luckynana said:

https://arrivecan.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/splash?returnUrl=%2Flanding-page

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CRUZNCPA said:

On our 6/3 to 6/10 Alaska cruise on the Ovation,  Victoria BC was the last stop on 6/9. No one asked to see the ArriveCan when we departed the ship.

Ok - but did you need it when you boarded at the start of the cruise?

On 6/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, Mikewa said:

All these posts on a very, and extremely simple item that cost no money, and you can do it while sitting watching TV and if you enter two times, while drinking a beer at your hotel.  If you want your question answered why 72 hours, you need to contact the Canadian Government and ask them, why it is needed, and while you are at it, ask them why you need a mask on to fly to Canada.  

I filled it out prior flying to Canada, and after I landed, while drinking a beer at a bar in Vancouver, I filled it out for the cruise.  

13 hours ago, CRUZNCPA said:

On our 6/3 to 6/10 Alaska cruise on the Ovation,  Victoria BC was the last stop on 6/9. No one asked to see the ArriveCan when we departed the ship.

And if they did, you would have been pulled aside.  All for a 3 minute task that you can do while waiting in line?

On 6/10/2022 at 7:56 PM, Luckynana said:

The app and web versions are close to identical. You can use either. 

Don't overthink the process. Signup for an account and enter passport and vaccination data at your earliest convenience. The system will retain that data. Sometime in the 72 hours prior to departure/ boarding complete the trip info and make the submission.

Trip entry is really very straightforward. Just fill in the data as presented. Don't make assumptions about when something should be provided, the app / web page will ask if and when necessary.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:41 PM, Sportstalker said:

I completed it for my family of 5 for our just completed Oasis cruise to Halifax and Saint John.  No one ever asked for it - never looked at it. 

No need to ask for it. The submission is tied to the passports and that info is transmitted by the cruise line. You only need a copy in case of some snafu.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:33 PM, shippmates said:

Anyone that enters Canada must fill this form out.

Daughter transited Canada on her way to France 10 days ago. It was not required for international passengers just transiting Canada at that time. 

Travellers who are transiting through Canada to another country (and aren't leaving the secure area at the airport) don't need to submit their information through ArriveCAN.

from the current ArrivCan website.

Edited by RedIguana
Added verbiage from ArrivCAN website
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

All these posts on a very, and extremely simple item that cost no money, and you can do it while sitting watching TV and if you enter two times, while drinking a beer at your hotel.  If you want your question answered why 72 hours, you need to contact the Canadian Government and ask them, why it is needed, and while you are at it, ask them why you need a mask on to fly to Canada.  

I filled it out prior flying to Canada, and after I landed, while drinking a beer at a bar in Vancouver, I filled it out for the cruise.  

Sorry, the intent of my question was not the logic behind the 72 hour window, but rather the information that needed to be entered.  If I could create the account now, what is the point of the 72 hour window?  Other posters have clarified the information (thanks), not the Canadian government.  Perhaps if I had some beers as you suggested, I may not worry about "simple" things that need to done correctly in order to cruise. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mikewa said:

Sorry, the intent of my question was not the logic behind the 72 hour window, but rather the information that needed to be entered.  If I could create the account now, what is the point of the 72 hour window?  Other posters have clarified the information (thanks), not the Canadian government.  Perhaps if I had some beers as you suggested, I may not worry about "simple" things that need to done correctly in order to cruise. 

One of the contributing factors for the 72 hours window was that when first implemented travellers had to submit proof of a negative molecular (i.e. non antigen) COVID test administered within 72 hours. As the system evolved and requirements changed, test results were no longer needed and the system gained the ability to retain passport and vacation data.

I suspect that another contributing factor is the volume that must be handled and the inevitable buildup of unused submissions if retained for more than 72 hours.