Is PCL letting C19 positive passengers quarantine in their own cabins now?

Ken the cruiser

Just curious. I’ve been reading on some threads as of late that folks are seeing biohazard bags and tables in the hallway outside a cabin door. In the past I’ve always heard C19 positive passengers were moved to an isolated area on the ship. Just wondering if that policy is changing on some of the current cruises?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious. I’ve been reading on some threads as of late that folks are seeing biohazard bags and tables in the hallway outside a cabin door. In the past I’ve always heard C19 positive passengers were moved to an isolated area on the ship. Just wondering if that policy is changing on some of the current cruises?

That would be great news and a reasonable approach. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

I agree.  We are on the Enchanted in November on deck 9 in a large balcony cabin and I read somewhere that is where the Covid patients are moved to.  I would hate to get a different cabin assignment.

9 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

The reasonableness depends on how interconnected the HVAC system is. If it runs the risk of spreading Covid to nearby cabins where the passengers aren't infected, not so good. If that's not the case, then fine.

It may present a security issue as well. If they want someone watching to make sure the infected don't break quarantine, far easier for them to be all on the same hall.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

The reasonableness depends on how interconnected the HVAC system is. If it runs the risk of spreading Covid to nearby cabins where the passengers aren't infected, not so good. If that's not the case, then fine.

It may present a security issue as well. If they want someone watching to make sure the infected don't break quarantine, far easier for them to be all on the same hall.

I remember when we were on a 14 Oceania cruise a few years back (2016) and they went into a Code Red on day 2 for the rest of the cruise due to a norovirus outbreak.

At the peak there were 102 cabins that had a red label stuck to each cabin door, with one end on the door frame and the other on the door, where at least one of the passengers tested positive. They also took away their Sea Pass cards as they were also requiring passengers to show them when they entered any of the eating venues. 

So there are options for securing a cabin. 

Yes.  On the Island Princess and the quarantine area is full.  Numerous cabins on all decks in quarantine including one right next door to mine.  It really impedes your enjoyment of your balcony when the Covid positive passengers on the next balcony are coughing, sneezing sniffling, and blowing their noses constantly.

• Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

One can self-quarantine and still potentially be a good citizen.  It's more a matter of trusting Princess to handle it well.  If you don't, then....

That standard room service menu is going to get kinda old after about day 2 of a 5 day quarantine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

They supposedly installed new "super" HEPA(?) filters on all the ships.  You could have a C-19 +ve pax next door and not be aware - and them not aware if asymptomatic.

31 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That standard room service menu is going to get kinda old after about day 2 of a 5 day quarantine. 

I can see that would be a problem. However, as long as they continue to bring my drinks I could probably make due with the limited dining options. Of course, having paid for full dining, I would certainly not be happy to not have access to the regular dining fare.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I can see that would be a problem. However, as long as they continue to bring my drinks I could probably make due with the limited dining options. Of course, having paid for full dining, I would certainly not be happy to not have access to the regular dining fare.

You get every day cruise fare in quarantine back in FCC, right? So, they are feeding you twice. Many people have posted they had access to the full MDR menu, as well as the specialty dining, and drinks. I’d rather be enjoying the cruise, of course.  If a person were lucky enough to have all that, a balcony and be asymptomatic , I think I could manage. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

One could argue that if you are sick, any food availability (as well as credits for being sick) is a good thing.  When we were quarantined, we had great food selections and great service.  What more do you expect?

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2022 at 3:19 PM, Steelers36 said:

They supposedly installed new "super" HEPA(?) filters on all the ships.  You could have a C-19 +ve pax next door and not be aware - and them not aware if asymptomatic.

HEPA filter are only in the Medical center. From Princess website...

How have you improved the onboard HVAC system?

Where possible, we’ve increased outside air to the maximum practical level for each HVAC unit.

HVAC units have been upgraded with F7 (MERV 13) filters, and some units also have the latest generation ultraviolet light (UVC/UVGI) treatment systems to facilitate high quality recirculated air, where possible within design limitations.

The Medical Center has HEPA filtration and is maintained under negative pressure, which means the ventilation system removes more air than it allows into the room.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, LawDog61 said:

I wonder how well room service will be able to accommodate food allergies (speaking as a celiac)

I have a rare FPIES dairy allergy.  I called them on the phone nightly when I ordered late night Room Service on my Discovery B2B cruise.  I always reminded them of my allergy and they would check to see if I could have something if they were not sure.

Has there been any scientific studies to determine if quarantines are necessary or just "theater"?

The risk of breakthrough transmissions are very low, I believe around 0.008 percent the last time the CDC posted those figures.  Your chances of being struck by lightning are greater.

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Has there been any scientific studies to determine if quarantines are necessary or just "theater"?

The risk of breakthrough transmissions are very low, I believe around 0.008 percent the last time the CDC posted those figures.  Your chances of being struck by lightning are greater.

Many ships have had greater than 0.008% breakthrough cases, considering that nearly everyone on board has been vaccinated and most likely boosted. I would guess most sailings have had a number of cases higher than that. Either cruise ships are astoundingly unlucky or that number is very low. 

12 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

One could argue that if you are sick, any food availability (as well as credits for being sick) is a good thing.  When we were quarantined, we had great food selections and great service.  What more do you expect?

The subject here was self-quarantining. One could argue that you shouldn’t expect a FCC for that, since you’d not be reporting it. 

I was quarantined before Covid for three days. I did not get tired of the room service menu. There was enough variety for me. I've read that they're allowing quarantine Covid patients to order from the regular dining room menus as well when the dining rooms are open.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

A large number of our vaccinated friends have had Covid. Out of 11 on our row at hockey, 8 had it within the past six weeks. I know of a dozen people who caught it at a regional bridge tournament last month, including me. The American Contract Bridge League conducted a study of the spring national tournament and concluded that 10% of people attending tested positive. 

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

A large number of our vaccinated friends have had Covid. Out of 11 on our row at hockey, 8 had it within the past six weeks. I know of a dozen people who caught it at a regional bridge tournament last month, including me. The American Contract Bridge League conducted a study of the spring national tournament and concluded that 10% of people attending tested positive. 

Were any of those folks sick and if so how much so?