It is summertime and the kids are back...

17 hours ago, baelor said:

I was probably unclear; I was not meaning to suggest that you are actively avoiding kids.  It just seems a bit tautological to say that you do not notice differences in numbers of kids given that you choose to spend time where kids are not allowed (Solarium) or is essentially a gated neighborhood (DL lounge).  

I had to look that word up ... twice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

Sometimes. Not all kids and not all adults. Our last experience. We did a B2B cruise on the Explorer 13 and 20 March 2022. The 20 March leg was a totally different experience than the 13 March leg due to adults and kids. The 20 March leg had a lot of rude, loud, yelling, disrespectful, inconsiderate kids and adults thru out the ship.  Almost like it was their first time in public and on a cruise. IMO, this type of behavior is passed down by lead or follow by example.  We have done a lot of B2B cruises out of SJ during mid March to early April and this was by far the worst based on what I described.  It was hard to adjust accordingly when it is constant.  BTW, my opinion was shared by others for that specific sailing on the ship and here on CC. 

There with you my friend.  Totally agree with you.   Was the worst I have ever seen it on a cruise out of PR.  Horribly rude, loud, and obnoxious pax.   Both kids and adults.  

Changed my desire to cruise out of there now...but little sister's request for her birthday next year is still being honored. She has never been to PR and wanted to try it.  Though I think we are going to see it a bit better with the time of the year, being end of January into February.  The difference apparently for us, was waiting too long into the spring season.  Late March could be the culprit.  

Will be interesting to see if that indeed makes the difference.  

• Like 1

I’m bringing my 2 yr old on an extended family cruise in July. We will be on the Harmony OTS. On deck 5 there is a running path that goes all the way around the ship. I was planning on visiting that deck often with the kiddo to let them run around and get the crazies out.  Would that be considered rude or poor behavior??? First time cruising with a kiddo or on this class of ship but I cannot imagine that area being too crowded or heavily used.

48 minutes ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

I’m bringing my 2 yr old on an extended family cruise in July. We will be on the Harmony OTS. On deck 5 there is a running path that goes all the way around the ship. I was planning on visiting that deck often with the kiddo to let them run around and get the crazies out.  Would that be considered rude or poor behavior??? First time cruising with a kiddo or on this class of ship but I cannot imagine that area being too crowded or heavily used.

Great question. The answer is that the track is meant for running and walking only, and it can get pretty busy at times. On our last Allure cruise I was down there every morning with my 6 month old but she was in a stroller and slept while I got some laps in. 

There is an open play area in Adventure Ocean where they can go bonkers all they want.....and they'll have some little friends to do it with. 

1 hour ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

My wife usually runs about 5 of 7 mornings on a 7-night cruise and the track is often crowded, in the morning at least. It was on the Harmony 5/29 sailing for example.

Likely less busy during the day but I'd be concerned about his safety if there are serious runners doing laps in addition to the rudeness issue.

Edited by OCSC Mike

15 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

It's like someone going on the Princess boards and claiming they were "horrified" at all the seniors who are boarding LOL

and then immediately stating that they were pleasantly surprised to see that they weren't grouchy curmudgeons or boomers yelling "get off my towel", then going on the describe numerous positive experiences such as watching the seniors dance the salsa and the tango, and complimenting all of those seniors for being kind and spry and fun-loving, then saying perhaps they should have used the word "surprised" instead of horrified, while giving a lengthy explanation of why they initially used the word horrified, then some person still not getting it and still calling them dramatic, going back to the the use of the same word which has since been explained and corrected.  Yeah I get it.  We live in an unforgiving society, one mistake can never be corrected, explained or redeemed.

Now THAT was dramatic 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, queenfrostine22 said:

The last few years have been especially hard on the kids. Now they are acting like, well, kids.

Cruising as a teen or tween can sometimes be boring if there is not teen or tween things going on to interest them. (especially at night). On our last Symphony cruise we saw quite a few kids bored out of their minds at the house band evening show at Dazzles. Most of those kids had no idea about the music being played. Why would they? Some of those songs are 30 years old!

We watched a few try to get into the RED nightclub as well. I felt bad for them. (I remember trying those same tricks when I was underage.) They are just looking to be entertained like the adults. 

I'm not defending making bad choices, such as screaming out the lyrics to "Golddigger" by Kanye West while running down the hall (This really did happen and if you know this song, it is NOT acceptable to be screaming out the lyrics like a fool) But I do try to cut the kids some slack. It's not easy trying to figure it all out in this world today.

That is why they have the kids clubs where they have things to keep them busy and entertained. Many kids know music beyond just today and while they might not be interested in it, they can easily find others to share their interests if they are bored by the "old" stuff. 

16 hours ago, ATG said:

While I understand that things were very difficult for children the last few years, I think that the impact on us seniors was also significant.  For all the years I worked, I dreamed of retirement and traveling.  I was 66 when this mess started.  I hoped to have 20 years of traveling.  I lost 2 of those years- or 10% of my travel time.  I’m not saying children were not impacted, but they weren’t the only ones.

Agreed. I haven't been on a "real" (which means a cruise or something relaxing where I don't have to do everyday chores) vacation in 4 years. I have had 2 cruises cancelled and trying for the 3rd. Why should kids get a pass while if an adult acts up, people will have a fit? Kids, especially older, know exactly how they should act and if there is no one reprimanding them, they will continue to act bad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I have a cruise booked at the end of August.    School is back in session in my area by then.   Should I expect the number of kids onboard will be fairly low, or are there still a fair number of schools in parts of the country that start after Labor Day?

Yes up north they don't start until after Labor Day. 

image.png.6597685df58b9f0d973813d2863ec9b0.png

If you book a cruise where this is the headline banner on the website...... adjust your expectations accordingly.

I'm not condoning that elevator behavior at all, however that particular RCL pronouncement could be considered full disclosure on their part. 🤪

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

My wife usually runs about 5 of 7 mornings on a 7-night cruise and the track is often crowded, in the morning at least. It was on the Harmony 5/29 sailing for example.

Likely less busy during the day but I'd be concerned about his safety if there are serious runners doing laps in addition to the rudeness issue.

Interesting.  When I run on a cruise am usually up and out by 6 - 6:15 on cruises, have not experienced many on the the track at that time.

It may seem early to some for a vacation, but I am usually an early riser, and by going out that early I can get in my run, showered and changed by the time everyone else in my party is ready to go. By 8 AM (a more normal hour of the morning) both the track and fitness center are usually over-crowded.

Just now, Travel R said:

Interesting.  When I run on a cruise am usually up and out by 6 - 6:15 on cruises, have not experienced many on the the track at that time.

It may seem early to some for a vacation, but I am usually an early riser, and by going out that early I can get in my run, showered and changed by the time everyone else in my party is ready to go. By 8 AM (a more normal hour of the morning) both the track and fitness center are usually over-crowded.

That's roughly when my wife runs. I go for coffee and pastries as my "pre-breakfast" while she's out. We have slightly different lifestyles.

It varies by cruise of course. On that Harmony cruise I mentioned, she was out there at 6:15 the first morning and said it was so crowded as she got into her run that she wanted to start earlier after that. No doubt it isn't always like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Travel R said:

Agree. I'm on the track (walker) NLT 6:AM and off by 7:30. Anytime after 7:30 the track becomes to congested with all different types. I do get a great birds eye view during that time of chair hogs marking their territory on sea days. 

23 minutes ago, Travel R said:

The way I see it, if I would get up early at home out of commitment to work, why wouldn't I want to do the same for something fun like cruising?  I also never see anyone on the upper outside decks at 6:00 am when I'm walking, except for the occasional person doing Tai Chi at sunrise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Plus, many northern states' weather is not conducive to playing outside between September and April, and many southern states' weather is not comfortable for being outside between April and September. 

I realize it’s been a long time since I was a child in Indiana, but we played outside almost every day.  Yeah, it was cold but we were still out.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, baelor said:

Florida was very different when I was there in January.

As a 22 year transplanted resident of Florida... I can tell you that Florida has always been "different" long before Covid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, queenfrostine22 said:

In my opinion there is NOT enough entertainment for kids on the ships. Just my opinion.

maybe, not on Princess, Celebrity or HAL ships, but RCI ships are a heaven in terms of activities and entertainment for kids/teens/families/adults.

• Like 1

We were on a cruise a couple of years ago sitting near a family of 22-24. It was grandma and grandpa, 4-5 children with spouses, and 10-12 grandchildren. The grandchildren probably ranged from 1 to 13 years old. These were the most well behaved children. The whole family conversed with each other. No one was looking at a phone (except to take pictures), they didn’t need a tablet to keep them entertained. The baby was fussing one night mom took him out of the dining room and came back when he was happier. 

The last night of the cruise I told the grandparents it was a pleasure sitting near them and they have a lovely family. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

Not rude at all. The track is for everyone. As long as they follow the rules there won’t be any problems. The only rules that I know of is for walkers on the right side of the track and runners on the left side.

edited - I missed that it is a 2 year old. There are better places for a small kid than a running/walking track. Would you bring them to such a track at home?

Edited by ReneeFLL

I really hope that in filling out post-cruise surveys people discuss the issues with kids.  My biggest concern is that another forum has reported significant limitations on the number of children allowed in Adventure Ocean.  If covid regulations block kids from being in the kids club, that could be an enormous headache for other guests because they will be all over the ship, watched over by parents who were expecting them to be in the kids club when they booked a cruise.  I hope people request in surveys and contact with RCI that they increase the number of outdoor activities for kids (such as making cookies - I've seen this at all inclusive where they promise the kids they'll take their cookies to their ovens to cook and they can find them in the buffett at lunch, so all it costs is a batch of dough you can dump for sanitary reasons).  You can also have bubble parties outdoors where kids play with bubbles.  But if they don't create activities for kids outside of the kids club, I'd expect a significant increase in children irritating other guests on cruises.  And the staff is too overworked to force the parents to watch their own kids, so although that would happen in an ideal world, I don't think its as easy to enforce  as RC creating some outdoor activities/contests be dedicated to children so the entertainment staff can keep them busy instead of having them run all over the ship.

Edited by kitkat343

22 hours ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

The issue I can see is a two year old "running" around on the running track will be at risk of being run over or tripped over, which puts others at risk.  Most runners don't like to have to maneuver around. Even walkers are supposed to stay to one side of the track.  Not sure why you cannot imagine the track being busy.  We've seen walkers/runners pretty much all times of the day.  Crowds aren't really the issue as much as a toddler running around and across the track.  To protect him/her you'd have to run along with them so you can scoop them up.

13 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

maybe, not on Princess, Celebrity or HAL ships, but RCI ships are a heaven in terms of activities and entertainment for kids/teens/families/adults.

Agreed as I have had the same experiences with my kids. They were always entertained, especially when they were younger.