I HATE NCL

piglet55cc

😂💥😤  I HATE NCL!!!!!!  I got a letter from NCL regarding my cruise on the Pride of America. I booked a cruise on Nov 29, 2021 for a sailing date of August 27, 2022.   We made our final payment on April 24th.  Yesterday, I got an email saying they are under staffed and therefore cancelling my reservation. The ship is still sailing, but my husband and I are not.  I am sure I was kicked off because we paid for an inside room. I am sure no one with a balcony has been cancelled. We spent over 2 hours trying to get an answer. Waited to talk to a supervisor who said she could do nothing for us. My husband asked to speak to someone higher up, and she stated she was as high as we could go and hung up on him.  Our cruise consultant only suggest we final a complaint, because there is no phone number for guest services. We received an email and were given a case number. It said we would receive a response in the next 30 days. 

6 minutes ago, piglet55cc said:

😂💥😤  I HATE NCL!!!!!!  I got a letter from NCL regarding my cruise on the Pride of America. I booked a cruise on Nov 29, 2021 for a sailing date of August 27, 2022.   We made our final payment on April 24th.  Yesterday, I got an email saying they are under staffed and therefore cancelling my reservation. The ship is still sailing, but my husband and I are not.  I am sure I was kicked off because we paid for an inside room. I am sure no one with a balcony has been cancelled. We spent over 2 hours trying to get an answer. Waited to talk to a supervisor who said she could do nothing for us. My husband asked to speak to someone higher up, and she stated she was as high as we could go and hung up on him.  Our cruise consultant only suggest we final a complaint, because there is no phone number for guest services. We received an email and were given a case number. It said we would receive a response in the next 30 days. 

Interesting detail. Do you mind sharing where/how you obtained this information/evidence? I am sure that many people would be interested in the source of this information.

• Like 4

Sorry,I only copy and paste my email I couldn't get it to open as an attachment.

June 17, 2022

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners: On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding your upcoming sailing aboard Pride of America. Now more than ever we understand the desire to travel and to reconnect with the people and places you’ve missed most. Although our great cruise comeback has been an exciting journey, it has not been an easy feat. Despite unexpected challenges, we have maintained our focus on delivering exceptional guest experiences. As such, due to recent staffing levels onboard Pride of America, we will be operating at a lower guest capacity to ensure we are able to deliver a high-caliber vacation experience. In order to adjust to the current staffing levels, unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate your upcoming reservation aboard Pride of America and will be canceling your current booking. We share your disappointment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. A full monetary refund of the fare paid will be automatically returned to the form of payment provided at the time of reservation. No further action is required; your refund will be automatically processed within 5 business days. You will see the refund returned to the original form of payment in seven to 10 business days from the processed date. The visibility of the funds is dependent on each financial institution’s internal policies. If your most current reservation was paid via a Future Cruise Credit (FCC), 100% of the FCC used will be reapplied to your Latitudes account. No further action is required; the FCC will be automatically added within seven business days. Additionally, we will be extending the book and sail by date of your FCC to Dec. 31, 2023. As we share your disappointment, we will be issuing you an FCC valued at 100% of the voyage fare paid for this reservation. This credit is valid through December 31, 2023 and may be redeemed for any published voyage through the aforementioned date. The FCC will be available in your Latitudes account on June 24, 2022. Our team is ready to assist you with rebooking you on another one of our unforgettable voyages. Once you’re ready, please contact us at 1-800-327-7030 or your travel professional. Guests residing outside of the U.S. or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local contact information. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd

Senior Vice President, Guest Services

As you can see they did offer compensation.  As I had booked this a long time ago, my inside room cost $1998 pp. Therefore, I would get $4000 towards a later date. Anything above that cost I would be resposible for. Airfare has increased by $1,000.  My same excursions have increased by $400.   

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this has been happening, for the reason stated.

Did you purchase your flights through NCL? Or did you have them separately?

I'm wondering if they are cancelling people who bought the full package through NCL versus just the cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aggie311 said:

It sounds like you’re getting your money back in addition to the $4000 at a later date

That's how I read the letter as well.  Refund 100% plus 100% FCC gives you about $8k to plan next voyage (if you wish).

• Like 5

You hate NCL? 

But you get TWO cruises for the price of one. I'd be jumping for joy! Yes, it stinks not having your Hawaii cruise - truly does, but would you rather crap for service when the ship is understaffed and sailing at capacity?

Nah, I'd take the two cruises and enjoy myself! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It looks to me as though NCL is giving a full refund plus the same amount as FCC.  And that FCC is good until Dec 31, 2023 (not 2022, which I've seen elsewhere).

Another way to handle this would have been to offer upgrades or extra OBC if one volunteered to change to a different date or cruise.  With computers, this could be pretty well automated by now (there have been so many similar problems).

We had an offer like that from Oceania (same parent company as NCL).  Unfortunately, we weren't at all interested in the other cruise, even though it was twice as long - and with a very nice upgrade.  But we also had already decided to cancel that initial cruise, but hadn't yet done it.  Too bad they didn't just offer something more open-ended.

But *note*:  They did NOT cancel our reservation.  Others no doubt got those offers and took them.

There was a time limit to accept the new offer, so they could keep 'moving' to make the needed adjustments.

That way, no one had a cruise pulled out from under them.  Win/win, in our book.

GC

• Like 3

You're not alone in this. NCL is having a difficult time staffing the POA, they are having job fairs just for this ship, where I live in Savannah there is a job fair tomorrow. 

You have $8K between refund and 100% FCC, go look at Oct for The Spirit sailing Hawaii to French Polynesia or reverse, it's a 12 day cruise and they were offering the buy one get one air.

Unfortunately if they don't have the staff hey will not be able to accommodate people , but I understand your disappointmentt

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, piglet55cc said:

As you can see they did offer compensation.  As I had booked this a long time ago, my inside room cost $1998 pp. Therefore, I would get $4000 towards a later date. Anything above that cost I would be resposible for. Airfare has increased by $1,000.  My same excursions have increased by $400.   

Sorry about your cancellation.

To ensure you can take that Hawaiian cruise or any other cruise in the future, they are giving you your $4k refund plus $4k to cover additional costs. Use the money and take 3 Caribbean cruises. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

From talking to to my consultant. I will get a full refund for the cruise and my air that I booked through NCL. And yes I will receive compensated  $2000pp only for my room. I now have to pay the increased prices of the room, taxes, airfare, transfers, hotels and excursions.  All these items have increased tremendously since I book in Nov. 2021. 

If this had been just another cruise, I would just live with it.  This was a replacement for a cruise we were to have taken in Sept. 2020 that was cancelled because of the pandemic.  That cruise was a celebration of my 65th birthday, my husband retiring after teaching for 41 years, and us going to our 50th state. 

My cruise consultant stated I am only compensated for the cost of my inside room without taxes. So I don't get a free cruise. And if I go on this cruise at a later date, and my same inside room now costs $4500, I must pay the extra $500.  

I paid $6166  for just the cruise, taxes, and airfare.

Edited by piglet55cc

12 minutes ago, piglet55cc said:

From talking to to my consultant. I will get a full refund for the cruise and my air that I booked through NCL. And yes I will receive compensated  $2000pp only for my room. I now have to pay the increased prices of the room, taxes, airfare, transfers, hotels and excursions.  All these items have increased tremendously since I book in Nov. 2021. 

If this had been just another cruise, I would just live with it.  This was a replacement for a cruise we were to have taken in Sept. 2020 that was cancelled because of the pandemic.  That cruise was a celebration of my 65th birthday, my husband retiring after teaching for 41 years, and us going to our 50th state. 

Go to NCL web site there are two cruises in Oct that would be a wonderful replacement on the Spirit, a small wonderful ship, One is Hawaii to Tahiti  12 days  $2969 pp inside the other is Alaska to Hawaii 16 days $1889 pp insideand both offer the buy one get one air.

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, piglet55cc said:

My cruise consultant stated I am only compensated for the cost of my inside room without taxes. So I don't get a free cruise. And if I go on this cruise at a later date, and my same inside room now costs $4500, I must pay the extra $500.  

I thought you recieved your money back and the 100% FCC..which is it?  IF you received all initial moneys back and the 100% FCC, you certainly have gotten a "free cruise".  There are many cruises that fit into that $$$ category, especially since you book insides.  

I understand your initial frustration, but try and see the big picture.  Money back, another cruise credit..hopefully with a fully staffed ship that will be able to give you a proper cruise.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, njkate said:

You're not alone in this. NCL is having a difficult time staffing the POA, they are having job fairs just for this ship, where I live in Savannah there is a job fair tomorrow. 

You have $8K between refund and 100% FCC, go look at Oct for The Spirit sailing Hawaii to French Polynesia or reverse, it's a 12 day cruise and they were offering the buy one get one air.

Unfortunately if they don't have the staff hey will not be able to accommodate people , but I understand your disappointmentt

A job fair in Savannah for a ship in Hawaii..wow...

That said, Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit...easy road trip for me.  I need a seat at the bar at Vics on the River.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, piglet55cc said:

You are getting a total refund plus an FCC so if your room was $500 more that's what you would pay for the cruise using the FCC, you are way ahead of the game. It's unfortunate but you have plenty of options and if Hawaii is your end game check the one out on the Spirit

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

A job fair in Savannah for a ship in Hawaii..wow...

That said, Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit...easy road trip for me.  I need a seat at the bar at Vics on the River.  

Yes at the Embassy suites out by the airport, NCL is struggling to staff the POA. I believe they are having the job fair at other locations as well

https://savannahgajobfair06232022.splashthat.com

Edited by njkate

My wife and I are going on the POA in September.  We would gladly take the refund/FCC if there was a way to volunteer.  I do want to go on the cruise but I wouldn't mind taking taking it next year instead and taking a different one this year.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the recommendations. Because of family commitments, I can only travel at certain times of the year and for less than 2 weeks. I even looked at a cruise on Celebrity in October, but the airfare would be over $1000 pp.

I too was very confused by what I would be compensated for. It is 100%  the cost that I paid for the room I booked and, nothing else. 

5 minutes ago, piglet55cc said:

Thank you all for the recommendations. Because of family commitments, I can only travel at certain times of the year and for less than 2 weeks. I even looked at a cruise on Celebrity in October, but the airfare would be over $1000 pp.

I too was very confused by what I would be compensated for. It is 100%  the cost that I paid for the room I booked and, nothing else. 

The letter you posted seems to say otherwise. 

• Like 5