Celebrity Millennium vs Discovery Princess

Taclin01

Hi, I was wanting to get some feedback and some opinions on these two ships. We have sailed celebrity in the past. We have been on the Apex, Equinox,  Summit, and we are going on the Solstice in two weeks. I was wanting to get some feedback and some opinions on these two ships. We have sailed celebrity in the past. We have been on the Apex, Summit, and are leaving to go on the solstice in two weeks. I am looking at doing a cruise in December and found two great itineraries on the ships. We have never done a princess cruise. How does it compare to Celebrity? How is the food? We don’t really attend any shows or anything. We just want some good food and drinks. I do think that the summit was my least favorite. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I’m just nervous to try something new. 

Princess and Celebrity are similar in demographic, service and food. In general I prefer Celebrity. But between brand new Discovery Princess and 20 year old Millennium I would pick Discovery. 

Give Princess a try and see how you like it.

• Like 2

We did the Celebrity Solstice a couple years ago (2019) to Alaska just to see how Celebrity compared.  I can't speak to the differences between Solstice and Millennium; have not looked at differences but obviously the Discovery is going to have some advantages being such a new ship.  We will be on the Discovery for the first time in August.  All that being said...we really enjoyed the Solstice and will most likely consider Celebrity in the future if they offer a better itinerary or sail dates.

We were on the Millennium in 2015 for 7 days in Alaska.

We enjoyed ourselves, but at the time felt that Princess treated us better overall.

Things may be vastly different 7 years later, or they could be exactly the same.

Everyone has different experiences on board.

Our last cruise on the Ruby was hardly up to par, yet there are others who were on board that insist that everything was perfectly wonderful.

Personally, I think the cruise lines need time to get their $%&t together before I spend anymore of my perfectly good money on a sub-par experience.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:24 AM, BettyCruiser said:

Princess and Celebrity are similar in demographic, service and food. In general I prefer Celebrity. But between brand new Discovery Princess and 20 year old Millennium I would pick Discovery. 

Give Princess a try and see how you like it.

My view too. We sailed on Millennium's sister ship Constellation 12 years ago. Discovery will be my preferred choice, but I do love the Edge class ships too.

I've cruised on the Infinity and on the Discovery.  I've always loved Celebrity cruises but the Discovery is just drop dead gorgeous in every way.  The food was very good to excellent, they had two of the best production shows I've ever seen, there are many venues to enjoy a drink or a bite to eat, including GiGi's pizza which is wonderful.  If you didn't care for the Summit that much, I'd definitely chose the Discovery.  If you are up for a splurge, the Cabanas up in the Sanctuary are wonderful.  

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, Taclin01 said:

Hi, I was wanting to get some feedback and some opinions on these two ships. We have sailed celebrity in the past. We have been on the Apex, Equinox,  Summit, and we are going on the Solstice in two weeks. I was wanting to get some feedback and some opinions on these two ships. We have sailed celebrity in the past. We have been on the Apex, Summit, and are leaving to go on the solstice in two weeks. I am looking at doing a cruise in December and found two great itineraries on the ships. We have never done a princess cruise. How does it compare to Celebrity? How is the food? We don’t really attend any shows or anything. We just want some good food and drinks. I do think that the summit was my least favorite. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I’m just nervous to try something new. 

I prefer celebrity over princess,  and I loved my cruises on the milenium, but now it’s an old ship compared to the discovery.  So discovery would probably be a nicer shipm I would assume better entertainment on the discovery.  If you did aqua class on celebrity, the food would be better, otherwise they will be pretty close. You could be closer to gaining status on celebrity though, and that could be valuable too. 

You're comparing an apple to an orange.  You already stated that your least favorite Celebrity ship was the Summit, yet you're contemplating going on it's sister ship, the Millennium.  Go on the Discovery, it's a beautiful ship.  Was on her for two weeks in April.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You're comparing an apple to an orange.  You already stated that your least favorite Celebrity ship was the Summit, yet you're contemplating going on it's sister ship, the Millennium.  Go on the Discovery, it's a beautiful ship.  Was on her for two weeks in April.

I would agree with this assessment. First, as @CruizinSusan70 said, you really are comparing apples and oranges. There is really no comparison between the 20 year old M-Class ships and the 6 month old Discovery that is approximately 60% bigger and can carry about 60% more passengers. Also, if you did not like the Summit then you will likely not like the Millennium. 

We have sailed on the Summit twice (and have a 3rd in the fall) and the Constellation (both sisters to the Millennium), as well as the Silhouette and Reflection. We like them all, including the Summit. And We've also sailed on nearly all Princess ships, including the Discovery just last month and many of her sister ships, including 2 recent cruises on the Sky Princess, which is very similar to Discovery. I love Celebrity, but I think you would likely be happier on Discovery Princess than on the Millennium, especially where you said you didn't really like her sister ship. 

Discovery is an absolutely beautiful ship with tons to do. We find the food on Celebrity generally a little better than Princess, but we thought the food on Discovery in May to be quite good, and on par with the food we had on the Reflection in March.  I don't think you would be disappointed in Discovery Princess.

I hope that's helpful, and hope you have a wonderful cruise, whichever you decide. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 5:57 PM, beltsbear said:

but now [Millennium is] an old ship compared to the discovery.  So discovery would probably be a nicer shipm I would assume better entertainment on the discovery.

I’m curious as to why there is an assumption that the entertainment would be better simply because a ship is newer. Is it common practice for the fleet-wide Entertainment Department to book better performers on newer ships?  Intuitively I would think that the region where the ship is sailing would have more to do with which entertains are placed on board rather than the christening date of the ship. But I confess that I know nothing about how entertainment bookings work. 

Generally P's cabins will be smaller than X's (no love seat) unless you book a deluxe balcony or higher. Also the balconies are quite small on P's new ships.

Post-Covid, except for the Gold Margarita, you may be disappointed in P's drinks. No Martini Bar.

14 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

Generally P's cabins will be smaller than X's (no love seat) unless you book a deluxe balcony or higher. Also the balconies are quite small on P's new ships.

Post-Covid, except for the Gold Margarita, you may be disappointed in P's drinks. No Martini Bar.

Disappointed in P's drinks?????  Good Spirits at Sea, with their craft cocktail menu available from 530-1130 blows away anything that Celebrity offers in their fleet, including the Edge and the Apex, both of which I have cruised on.

• Like 2

My 2 cents:

The Discovery Princess is over 20 years newer. We highly prefer Princess’s food to Celebrity’s. You experienced Celebrity’s best food options by sailing on their newer ships. The Millenium does have that wonderful classic ship feel, though. Have fun deciding and planning!

We did the Panama canal on the Millenium - it was a great itinerary but the ship was the worst we have sailed on. It is old and gloomy...there is no piazza like on the princess ships...Discovery is shiny and new - even if it wasn't, I would still take Princess over Millenium.

After our experience on the newer Reflection in 2018, we are sticking with Princess for now. The entertainment on the Reflection was repetitive and fairly boring. Each night included lots of air acrobatics which became rather stale.