Has anyone had a Royal Up that went "bad"

Received our first royal up invitation ever. We are currently booked in a junior suite all the way on the bow, top floor, suite 1100.

Part of me wants to put a bid in because of the location of our current one...thinking sea sickness :classic_unsure:. Has anyone that has done Royal Up get the same category but better location? Did most of you actually go up to a different category all around? Has anyone had a bad experience with Royal Up?  I guess I'm afraid of the unknown. But I can always decline, correct?

Thanks for all responses.

1 minute ago, sunlover2 said:

But I can always decline, correct?

Not after your bid is accepted, but you may be able to move cabins within the same category if any are available. You can decline to bid altogether.

• Like 2

How can you bid on the category you already have?

AFAIK, your listed options will only be for higher categories, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, have you called and asked about moving to another JS if one is available?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

Part of me wants to put a bid in because of the location of our current one...thinking sea sickness :classic_unsure:. Has anyone that has done Royal Up get the same category but better location?

You cannot bid on the category you booked.

Location is subjective.  I am guessing you are on one of the Radiance class ships and JS 11oo is one of the most highly coveted JS's because of its huge balcony.  You may not like it but there are many that do.

If you want to change to another JS you can call and change t another JS as long as it is the same type..ie J3 to a J3

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You cannot bid on the category you booked.

Location is subjective.  I am guessing you are on one of the Radiance class ships and JS 11oo is one of the most highly coveted JS's because of its huge balcony.  You may not like it but there are many that do.

If you want to change to another JS you can call and change t another JS as long as it is the same type..ie J3 to a J3

Their signature shows they are on Adventure.  They have one of the new JS that are all the way forward on deck 11, that is why she is saying bow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Also, have you called and asked about moving to another JS if one is available?

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have tried quite a few times to change to another jr suite/same category however, RCL said nothing else was available. 

I'll try calling again today. Thanks

26 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

Received our first royal up invitation ever. We are currently booked in a junior suite all the way on the bow, top floor, suite 1100.

Part of me wants to put a bid in because of the location of our current one...thinking sea sickness :classic_unsure:. Has anyone that has done Royal Up get the same category but better location? Did most of you actually go up to a different category all around? Has anyone had a bad experience with Royal Up?  I guess I'm afraid of the unknown. But I can always decline, correct?

Thanks for all responses.

Not a clue where cabin #1100 is on Adventure of the Seas, is that the right cabin number?

Edit: Oh I see now deck 11...

Edited by Jimbo

9 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

I have tried quite a few times to change to another jr suite/same category however, RCL said nothing else was available. 

I'll try calling again today. Thanks

You can keep checking online for something to open up. I just looked and there are no JS available 

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

You can keep checking online for something to open up. I just looked and there are no JS available 

There's always that Owner's Suite for $6K pp. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

Only one Suite of any kind open right now, an Owner's Suite.............I think even trying Royal-Up for this sailing is pretty much useless. Keep what you have is what I would do.

27 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Thank you. I just tried calling and none available.

At the time I booked, it was the last and only jr. suite available.

@sunlover2

I would be perfectly happy with your cabin.  While there are no guarantees when it comes to weather, I could not be concerned about sea sickness.

Here is a video of 1102, which should be identical to your cabin.  Ignore the commentary - I'm just posting it for the pictures.  😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

@sunlover2

I would be perfectly happy with your cabin.  While there are no guarantees when it comes to weather, I could not be concerned about sea sickness.

Thank you Merion_Mom. 

Since posting my question, I have talked to my DH and decided to not Royal Up. We actually love the location because we work out every day and it's right there. 

Have to learn to not worry about things out of my control.

We've chosen to not RoyalUP for our b2b's since we stay in the same cabin.  We bid on our upcoming EN cruise from JS to GS since it's a 6 night and not a b2b, but know we won't get it.  First, we did the minimum bid and second, there are only about 10 GS on EN.  We never allowed upgrades prior to RoyalUp because being in a regular JS, an upgrade was considered an aft JS which we never want.  RoyalUp eliminates that as you bid for a class, not just an upgrade, although people have in the past gotten some pretty sweet upgrades.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SummerBeee said:

I have a friend who stayed in that room on Mariner and Independence and loved them. The rooms are newer and have IMO better furnishings. The balconies are massive! Room was really quiet too

Enjoy your cruise

So nice to hear that!! Thanks SummerBeee

• Like 1

https://www.elliott.org/cruises/royal-caribbean-new-what-if-royalup-cabin-downgrade/

This situation is probably the worse I've ever heard, but in this situation, it was pretty much Royal Up, being a third party not knowing what the booking situation was.

I've only Royal Upped once, got a balcony from an interior on Enchantment this past March.  We were very far forward and it was a bit of a rough ride and my wife actually got seasick, which she rarely does.  I'm not sure if staying in our original midship interior would have been better, but it was the roughest ride I've had out of 25 cruises.  I chalk it up to a learning experience and now know never to book so far forward again.  Will I royal up again.  Not sure.  I won't for my b2b this coming September because we're in the same room and don't want to break it up.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

https://www.elliott.org/cruises/royal-caribbean-new-what-if-royalup-cabin-downgrade/

This situation is probably the worse I've ever heard, but in this situation, it was pretty much Royal Up, being a third party not knowing what the booking situation was.

I've only Royal Upped once, got a balcony from an interior on Enchantment this past March.  We were very far forward and it was a bit of a rough ride and my wife actually got seasick, which she rarely does.  I'm not sure if staying in our original midship interior would have been better, but it was the roughest ride I've had out of 25 cruises.  I chalk it up to a learning experience and now know never to book so far forward again.  Will I royal up again.  Not sure.  I won't for my b2b this coming September because we're in the same room and don't want to break it up.  

Read the article in its entirety. Very informative. Thank you for sharing.

6 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

Read the article in its entirety. Very informative. Thank you for sharing.

Well, he needed to cancel his RoyalUp bid himself.  Basically the company that does the RoyalUp is a sub-contractor and while they should "talk" to each other, bids are not automatically cancelled.   Expecting them to cancel the bid  is what got him in trouble.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3