cape Liberty Parking

Giorgi-one

My daughter is sailing on Oasis in July 2022 leaving from Cape Liberty.  There are 5 cruises leaving that week.  Parking garage has 950 spaces which would probably be enough for 2 ships at most.  Can anyone comment on parking availability at Cape Liberty now?

16 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

Cars from 4 other ships are still in the garage.  How does a 950 space gagage service 20,000 passengers?

It doesn't. 

A week ago, it was a mess.  On arriving for our Adventure cruise around 11:45AM, they were only allowing handicapped parking in the lot.  We were waived to an outside lot about 1/4 mile away.  As we arrived there, it was being closed.  Next stop another outdoor lot that had buses waiting to shuttle folks to check-in.  That one was filled up.  Finally, waived back around to the garage which they then opened.  We parked on level 4, just before roof parking.  

I should reiterate, the arrived well after the vast majority of people from the previous cruise had left.

We didn't have any issues in May. We were the 3rd ship leaving and there appeared to be plenty of parking. We had to go to the overflow lot passed the parking garage. The garage was being held for handicapped/disabled. They did offer shuttles but it was not a problem walking. 

Cape Liberty only starting hosting Oasis class ships a few months ago.  Many of the people referencing the "easy parking" at Cape Liberty may not have seen it since then.  It's pretty clear to me that neither the terminal nor the parking is setup for a ship of that size.  It would be fine for a Voyager class ship like Adventure, but Oasis is an issue for them right now.

I'm really hoping they figure it out--especially since we are heading out of there just next week--but it's a far cry from an ironed-out operation.  Be prepared to park on the surface lots (even though the garage has tons of free space) because they are saving the entire thing for handicapped/disabled.

And that's an issue too, because many of the people who park on the surface lots don't want to walk back to the pay stations to pay after they drop their luggage, so they pay at the exit and cause a huge bottleneck.

Like I said, it's made for smaller ships, and it shows.  Hopefully they can make some changes.

1 hour ago, Jt4428 said:

We went on oasis Friday June 10th. Got to cape liberty around 11.  No problem with parking.

Consider yourself fortunate.  Sure some days have no problem but don't count on it.

5 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

My daughter is sailing on Oasis in July 2022 leaving from Cape Liberty.  There are 5 cruises leaving that week.  Parking garage has 950 spaces which would probably be enough for 2 ships at most.  Can anyone comment on parking availability at Cape Liberty now?

Are you sure about the 5 ships? RCCL only has 2 ships based at CL

• Thanks 1

well I think that since some buildings were torn down nearby perhaps they should consider building another garage.

From what I have heard, parking can be an issue if you arrive too early like before 10:30 especially if on the Oasis.  Need to let departing guest drive off.

I am doing both Adv (Sept) and Oasis (Oct).  I have always parked in garage so it should be interesting what happens for Adv.  My car likes the garage and if I have to pay for the uncovered lot, it should be less money IMHO

20 hours ago, hallux said:

I see 3, Celebrity Summit in addition to Oasis and Adventure.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/cruise_info.html

This!  I believe the op is confusing 5 cruises with 5 ships. There are 3 ships sailing from Bayonne in July. As another poster pointed out, when ships return parking spaces, be they in the garage or in surface lots, are vacated. I have not read on any cruiser not allowed to park at Cape Liberty with the 3 ships this year. Some of the surface lots are quite a distance from the terminal. Drop bags off prior to parking and if assigned to these lots, on disembarkment send the driver to get the car while others remain with luggage at the terminal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RandomUser123 said:

I cruise on Anthem of the Seas on Oct 29 out of Cape Liberty. First time going to that cruise port. Hopefully parking is good for me. 

Parking will be available, be it in the garage or surface lots. Oasis returns from its last NJ cruise on the 30th, cruisers cars will be on site. Adventure departs on a repo cruise on the 27th, should have no cruisers parking at Cape Liberty.

I would suggest you go for the earliest boarding time or the latest two. There will be a bottleneck of autos approaching the terminal starting at 11 am especially if cruisers arrive earlier than their appointed time. By 12:15 it should be free flow traffic to the terminal and parking.

On 6/26/2022 at 12:10 AM, Oceansaway17 said:

well I think that since some buildings were torn down nearby perhaps they should consider building another garage.

From what I have heard, parking can be an issue if you arrive too early like before 10:30 especially if on the Oasis.  Need to let departing guest drive off.

I am doing both Adv (Sept) and Oasis (Oct).  I have always parked in garage so it should be interesting what happens for Adv.  My car likes the garage and if I have to pay for the uncovered lot, it should be less money IMHO

The buildings recently razed are at least 1/3 mile from the terminal.  That area is slated for warehouses.

To my knowledge there are only three ships that are sailing currently from Cape Liberty now. They are the Oasis Of The Seas, Adventure Of The Seas and the Celebrity Summit. I recently cruised on the Adventure Of The Seas on June 9th. We dropped off our luggage first and noticed that only handicapped parking was available in the garage at 11:30AM. We followed vehicles in front of us and parked in the lot by what looked like an abandoned warehouse. It took only ten minutes to walk back to the terminal. At the conclusion of our five day Bermuda cruise we exited the terminal and walked over to a spot across from the terminal. My wife and son walked over to the lot and drove back over to pick me up with our luggage.

8 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

To my knowledge there are only three ships that are sailing currently from Cape Liberty now.

Your knowledge comports with the port schedule directly from the port that I linked earlier in the thread...

On 6/30/2022 at 2:55 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

okay thanks.   still I think another garage should be built.

Economically it does not pay to build and maintain another parking deck when three ships are using the port only a few months of the year.  In the winter, only one ship uses CL.  

20 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

Economically it does not pay to build and maintain another parking deck when three ships are using the port only a few months of the year.  In the winter, only one ship uses CL.  

they might increase the number of ships. I think besides Cel and RCI, perhaps NCL or HAL could cruise out of Bayonne if the market was there.  Heck even a Disney ship would be great. Other ports are expanding so building another garage would provide nicer parking.

Next year Liberty of the Seas which is bigger than Adv OTS is coming.

And a lot of us would who are not on Oasis or Anthem would love another covered garage.

21 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

they might increase the number of ships. I think besides Cel and RCI, perhaps NCL or HAL could cruise out of Bayonne if the market was there.  Heck even a Disney ship would be great. Other ports are expanding so building another garage would provide nicer parking.

Next year Liberty of the Seas which is bigger than Adv OTS is coming.

And a lot of us would who are not on Oasis or Anthem would love another covered garage.

There's no reason for NCL to cruise from Cape Liberty.  They have primary  control of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, which has the capacity to handle more than one ship per day if needed...in theory up to four ships per day could sail from Manhattan while Cape Liberty only has a single berth. 

HAL used to do some cruises seasonally from Manhattan but only rarely does so today. They apparently don't think it's a good market for them. 

Disney already uses Manhattan seasonally, as does Carnival. 

Again, Cape Liberty would need another berth before any other cruise lines could consider using it as a homeport. 

Edited by njhorseman