Royal Screwed Up So I was Downgraded

This is mostly just a tangent to express my frustration.  I booked a cabin back in 2019 for summer of 2020.  2 adults and 2 kids.  We booked a very specific category, location and cabin (1C).  Like many I had to move it to 2021 and then again to 2022.  In the summer of 2021 my wife was pregnant with our 3rd and we were expecting to have to reschedule again.  The baby happened to come early and just make the 6 month cutoff by a few weeks.  Shortly after the baby came I contacted our TA to see what our options are.  I was thinking I would have to move cabins or add a 2nd cabin but there was still enough availability to get something we would be very happy with (even had some options picked out).  TA called back and said they were able to add the baby to the room (the room technically fits 4) and i only had to pay port fees and taxes.  I was extremely happy with the outcome!  Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I went to look at the available excursions and see my cabin was moved and downgraded without notifying me (8D x2).  2 cabins but smaller balcony, much less desirable location.  I'm being told that Royal screwed up by adding the 5th person and since there is basically nothing but suites available because it took them so long to catch their mistake, my only option is 2 downgraded cabins that we are extremely unhappy with.  I reached out to the executive office and their response was basically "we are sorry we messed up and we acknowledged if we caught it sooner you would have had more options but we cant do anything for you".  I asked about upgrading me to a suite that was available and she literally laughed at me.  I know some might disagree since they gave me 2 cabins but I also know there are many on here who like me are very specific about the cabin they choose.  I know I'm just screwed here because Royal has all my money, I'm just extremely frustrated with the callous reaction from Royal.

Your TA has culpability in this as much as Royal. In fact I put most of the responsibility on the TA. The TA is your advocate and should be the first line of defense and either knew or should have known that adding a 5th to the cabin would be an issue.

• Like 5

Your rep and the TA should have known that you can't add a 5th to a room unless it is one of the balconies that is designed for 5 (sofabed and pullman).  Seems like they were confused by the rules about adding a third to a cabin that sleeps 2 which can be done for infants 2 and under as there is room for a pack n play.  With 4 already in the room there is no room for a pack n play.

I get that they won't upgrade you to a suite but you should be able to get a decent sum of OBC for your troubles

• Like 1

Adding an infant to a double occupancy cabin has been allowed in the past.  A quad cabin works the same. 

While it is true that your TA should be your advocate in these times, I would stop short of saying your TA is responsible or has culpability if Royal accepted the original request that your TA submitted.  This appears to be on Royal as they would have gladly thrown your TA under the keel if it was the TA's fault.

In this case Royal has offered a compromise that many would feel is superior to four plus a baby in a single 2C cabin.  You now have two bathrooms, two king beds that can be split into two beds in each cabin as required and potentially more room for the portable crib than a 2C might have offered.  A 2C balcony may be larger on it's own but two 8D balconies may yield more space overall and have better seating.  

At the end of the day your TA is your advocate and will probably better know how to negotiate with Royal.

• Like 3

Wow, that sucks. 😞 Have they offered you any OBC or other compensation at least for not informing you sooner? I also wouldn't put much blame on your TA - Royal has said it's their own fault, not someone else's.

I'm not privy to how the system works, so throwing out a wild idea - someway to put you priority to an upgrade on an unsold/not bid upon suite? I can understand actually a desire to not want to have two separate rooms - my partner would also be against us being split in two rooms, yes even as "near" as two adjoining cabins...

Wouldn't they have an easier time and make more money selling the two lower priced cabins back on the market to two other families/couples, and the extra revenue in other stuff they buy, than trying to find a right-price buyer/bidder to the suite while occupying two cabins with one family? 

My TA was pretty much useless - I had to let them know about the cabin change.  I went through the executive office to get any answers.  They actually lowered my OBC because the new cabin wasn't part of their group.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

In this case Royal has offered a compromise that many would feel is superior to four plus a baby in a single 2C cabin.  You now have two bathrooms, two king beds that can be split into two beds in each cabin as required and potentially more room for the portable crib than a 2C might have offered.  A 2C balcony may be larger on it's own but two 8D balconies may yield more space overall and have better seating. 

The big thing for us is the large balcony and the location.  We have 3 under 7 and the 2 big ones end up in our bed anyway.  We frankly don't feel comfortable with them in a separate room even if it is connected.  The 2 bathrooms isn't important either.  With the kids going to bed relatively early, the large balcony was very important.  Also our new cabin is directly in front of the elevator which we purposely avoided.  I know some would prefer the 2 cabins but it doesn't fit what we were looking for.

14 minutes ago, CruiserLucas said:

Wouldn't they have an easier time and make more money selling the two lower priced cabins back on the market to two other families/couples, and the extra revenue in other stuff they buy, than trying to find a right-price buyer/bidder to the suite while occupying two cabins with one family? 

I said the exact same thing!  I even did the math of what our 2 cabins would cost and what 1 suite would be and it was close to comparable.  I left out that the the rep in the executive office sent me an email suggesting I bid on a larger room.

10 minutes ago, vandals04 said:

The big thing for us is the large balcony and the location.  We have 3 under 7 and the 2 big ones end up in our bed anyway.  We frankly don't feel comfortable with them in a separate room even if it is connected.  The 2 bathrooms isn't important either.  With the kids going to bed relatively early, the large balcony was very important.  Also our new cabin is directly in front of the elevator which we purposely avoided.  I know some would prefer the 2 cabins but it doesn't fit what we were looking for.

The elevator is in a separate lobby, not the cabin corridor, so it can be more convenient to be near them.  The balcony doors do have a child lock up high on the side of the door that I can not open half the time if that is your concern.  The balcony divider likely can be opened to give you a double sized balcony.  You could always set up the port a crib in one cabin with the connecting door open and have the two "big ones" sleep in your cabin anyway.  The second cabin gives you a good nap area or play area.

I would be upset that they changed your cabins and push for OBC, but don't let it wreck you cruise!

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 5

On 6/12/2022 at 10:06 AM, vandals04 said:

I am booked like this also.  Wife and myself in one cabin and 3 minors in the other.  I was concerned so I called to see if we could change it to one adult in each but they said its not a problem with CB.

2 hours ago, vandals04 said:

This is mostly just a tangent to express my frustration.  I booked a cabin back in 2019 for summer of 2020.  2 adults and 2 kids.  We booked a very specific category, location and cabin (1C).  Like many I had to move it to 2021 and then again to 2022.  In the summer of 2021 my wife was pregnant with our 3rd and we were expecting to have to reschedule again.  The baby happened to come early and just make the 6 month cutoff by a few weeks.  Shortly after the baby came I contacted our TA to see what our options are.  I was thinking I would have to move cabins or add a 2nd cabin but there was still enough availability to get something we would be very happy with (even had some options picked out).  TA called back and said they were able to add the baby to the room (the room technically fits 4) and i only had to pay port fees and taxes.  I was extremely happy with the outcome!  Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I went to look at the available excursions and see my cabin was moved and downgraded without notifying me (8D x2).  2 cabins but smaller balcony, much less desirable location.  I'm being told that Royal screwed up by adding the 5th person and since there is basically nothing but suites available because it took them so long to catch their mistake, my only option is 2 downgraded cabins that we are extremely unhappy with.  I reached out to the executive office and their response was basically "we are sorry we messed up and we acknowledged if we caught it sooner you would have had more options but we cant do anything for you".  I asked about upgrading me to a suite that was available and she literally laughed at me.  I know some might disagree since they gave me 2 cabins but I also know there are many on here who like me are very specific about the cabin they choose.  I know I'm just screwed here because Royal has all my money, I'm just extremely frustrated with the callous reaction from Royal.

I am now very confused as the above says you are in two cabins and not one.  That is a quote from a different thread you posted to previously.  Your current thread says you were moved from one cabin to two cabins yet two weeks ago you posted you were in two cabins, not one.  

Having cruised with a 6 month old and now 3 kids of similar age to yours, I would take two balcony cabins over 1

all day long (regardless of the location).  Trust me.  And if you are near an elevator that is a good thing because it means you are central.  You could far more center shop, but have a longer walk each time.  I know this isn’t what you booked, but in retrospect I think you will be happier this way. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

Having cruised with a 6 month old and now 3 kids of similar age to yours, I would take two balcony cabins over 1

all day long (regardless of the location).  Trust me.  And if you are near an elevator that is a good thing because it means you are central.  You could far more center shop, but have a longer walk each time.  I know this isn’t what you booked, but in retrospect I think you will be happier this way. 

I have 5 kids (and had them in under 7 years so close in age), I’d be thrilled to have 2 cabins, especially with an infant! We always do connecting, and it’s fine having little ones in the other cabin with the door open. And instead of being stuck on the balcony when the littles sleep, you can stay in a cabin, watch TV, shower, takes turns coming and going…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I am now very confused as the above says you are in two cabins and not one.  That is a quote from a different thread you posted to previously.  Your current thread says you were moved from one cabin to two cabins yet two weeks ago you posted you were in two cabins, not one.  

That post was after they moved me.  Was still dealing with it at the time so thought my post would be helpful.  The cabin they moved me to is 8D.  If you are going through my post history you can see the thread I started in December (before the baby came) was resolved by adding the baby and keeping my single cabin.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, topnole said:

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I have 5 kids (and had them in under 7 years so close in age), I’d be thrilled to have 2 cabins, especially with an infant! We always do connecting, and it’s fine having little ones in the other cabin with the door open. And instead of being stuck on the balcony when the littles sleep, you can stay in a cabin, watch TV, shower, takes turns coming and going…

I appreciate the input and totally get it but in the end the single cabin would be preferred for us.  

8 minutes ago, vandals04 said:

That post was after they moved me.  Was still dealing with it at the time so thought my post would be helpful.  The cabin they moved me to is 8D.  If you are going through my post history you can see the thread I started in December (before the baby came) was resolved by adding the baby and keeping my single cabin.

I looked at your post history after someone asked how soon you were cruising and them not understanding how things could be sold out.

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Totally agree.  One regular sized cabin would be really tough.  Ok,

more like brutal. In fact, I don’t even know how it would really work.  Tent camping would be better than that.  Now if this was a ultra spacious cabin with the extra 100 sq feet I could understand the complaint, but I’d still view the 2 cabins as an improvement.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, vandals04 said:

I appreciate the input and totally get it but in the end the single cabin would be preferred for us.  

I understand.  But respectfully, I think Royal has provided more than a reasonable accommodation given the situation.  If you feel you are owed more, I’d be telling your TA to cough up some OBC.  They should know the rules on this stuff.  

By the way, in my experience we have always be able to add a baby to a maxed cabin.  Do we know for sure they moved for a legitimate reason?   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, topnole said:

I understand.  But respectfully, I think Royal has provided more than a reasonable accommodation given the situation.  If you feel you are owed more, I’d be telling your TA to cough up some OBC.  They should know the rules on this stuff.  

By the way, in my experience we have always be able to add a baby to a maxed cabin.  Do we know for sure they moved for a legitimate reason?   

I was told that the room has a pull-out couch and not a pullman which is the issue.

15 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Can you at least put your self alone in one of the rooms to get double points for yourself,  which then indirectly transfer to your spouse and children?

Was so stuck on everything else going on I didn't know that was an option.  I could probably even get a drink package for just 1 person 🙂  Right now we are 2 adults in 1 room and 3 kids in the other.

49 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Can you at least put your self alone in one of the rooms to get double points for yourself,  which then indirectly transfer to your spouse and children?

That might cost more.  Dad will pay 2x the cruise fare for his room (but only one charge for port fees), them mom and kid #1 each pay their fare, but kids #2 and #3 have to pay as 3rd and 4th passengers in that room.  Of course the "kids sail free" may come into play, and it won't make a difference on port fees.  It might be worth pricing it out.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Your rep and the TA should have known that you can't add a 5th to a room unless it is one of the balconies that is designed for 5 (sofabed and pullman).  Seems like they were confused by the rules about adding a third to a cabin that sleeps 2 which can be done for infants 2 and under as there is room for a pack n play.  With 4 already in the room there is no room for a pack n play.

I get that they won't upgrade you to a suite but you should be able to get a decent sum of OBC for your troubles

Not the The poster's TA fault, When Booked the RCL agent allowed it to happen !

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Adding an infant to a double occupancy cabin has been allowed in the past.  A quad cabin works the same. 

While it is true that your TA should be your advocate in these times, I would stop short of saying your TA is responsible or has culpability if Royal accepted the original request that your TA submitted.  This appears to be on Royal as they would have gladly thrown your TA under the keel if it was the TA's fault.

At the end of the day your TA is your advocate and will probably better know how to negotiate with Royal.

Agree 100%, agent at Royal allowed the 5th person to be booked in the room.

2 hours ago, vandals04 said:

I was told that the room has a pull-out couch and not a pullman which is the issue.

Was so stuck on everything else going on I didn't know that was an option.  I could probably even get a drink package for just 1 person 🙂  Right now we are 2 adults in 1 room and 3 kids in the other.

If you are a drinker and the wife isn't (or vice versa) I would definitely split the kids up so you can get the drink package!!!   

• Like 1