Mariner? Thoughts/Opinions

So we have only sailed Freedom and Oasis Class ships on RC. Husband typically doesn’t want to sail a smaller size ship. However, we are thinking about the 5 day that goes to both Labadee and Perfect Day on Mariner. 
Will we feel a difference over the larger ships? My guess is it is nice since it was refurbed in ‘18?
If you’re thinking I am an overthinker you are indeed correct! 😂

Thoughts on this cruise or the ship? 
Thank you! 

Agree with the answers above. Freedom class is basically just a stretched out version of Voyager class.

It's the jump to Oasis class where the ships become very different.

Love Voyager class (including Mariner) for their layout and ease of getting around.  Their slightly shorter length compared to Freedom class makes them easier to walk from one end to the other. 

Mariner made out pretty well during her amplification but they did not refresh the cabins to the extent they did on Navigator and Voyager during those amplifications.  The bulk of her amplification was in public venues.  At the moment the internet on Voyager class is pretty dreadful compared to Freedom class.  

Other than the extra section in the middle that Freedom class received, Voyager class ships have very similar layouts forward and aft compared to Freedom class.  Mariner and Navigator are the only Voyager class ships that have the Freedom style balconies with dividers that can be opened so these two Voyager class ships feel like Freedom class more than their sisters.  

• Like 1

We were on Mariner last month (June 5-13) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  We've been on Oasis and Harmony and will be on Wonder next January.  Mariner is a nice ship and didn't seem crowded at all even at 95% capacity.  I'd go on Mariner again at the drop of a hat.  Had no complaints.

• 1 month later...

This thread was so helpful. Thanks to all. Has anyone that has been on Mariner recently eaten in the MDR? I've been hearing not great things about MDR recently -- we were on Odyssey in April and the MDR food was not great. Service, as always was great. Just weighing whether we should get the UDP. Any input would be great.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, DisnyMik said:

So we have only sailed Freedom and Oasis Class ships on RC. Husband typically doesn’t want to sail a smaller size ship. However, we are thinking about the 5 day that goes to both Labadee and Perfect Day on Mariner. 
Will we feel a difference over the larger ships? My guess is it is nice since it was refurbed in ‘18?
If you’re thinking I am an overthinker you are indeed correct! 😂

Thoughts on this cruise or the ship? 
Thank you! 

It is great!  Not much small than Freedom so probably really won't much difference

On 7/3/2022 at 6:52 PM, bajathree said:

Yea....but has an awesome view on Odyssey!!!

Agree with you both. However, I dislike all of the commotion when the bumper cars are in use. The constant instructions blaring in the seaplex for loading, unloading etc., distracts me from watching games. 

We board Mariner this Sunday.  After the last two Celebrity sailings at about 30% capacity, I know it will be more like pre-Covid with so many passengers on Mariner...but I'm okay with that!  

Edited by lola2013

19 minutes ago, huntr104 said:

This post is helpful for me as well!  We're sailing next June on Mariner for the 8 night Southern itinerary.  This will be our first trip on a Voyager class ship and wondered how it compared as well.

It won't feel very different from Liberty other than the new, amped additions like Playmakers, Bamboo Room, etc.

As mentioned above, Freedom class is just a stretched out version of Voyager class.

Fond memories of Mariner when it was the "big ship" at PC back then, not the smallest of three, lol.

We got off Mariner last month.  Previously cruised on Freedom and Oasis.  I would say Mariner is a slightly smaller Freedom.  The similarities are many.

We ate in the MDR every night except one (off ship).  I enjoyed the food, but I'm not a picky eater.  One of our party is, but she always found something.  Somethings she just took a couple bites from what she ordered, but that's not unusual for her.

Here's the video I put together for our trip (not a review, just for our memories):

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We got off Mariner last month.  Previously cruised on Freedom and Oasis.  I would say Mariner is a slightly smaller Freedom.  The similarities are many.

We ate in the MDR every night except one (off ship).  I enjoyed the food, but I'm not a picky eater.  One of our party is, but she always found something.  Somethings she just took a couple bites from what she ordered, but that's not unusual for her.

Here's the video I put together for our trip (not a review, just for our memories):

THANK YOU for the amazing video.  This makes me even more excited (if that's even possible) to sail on this beautiful ship.

• Like 1

Oh, regarding the service in the MDR, we had no issues with it.  Our head waiter I think was fairly new in the role. He didn't do anything wrong, it just seemed like he was struggling a little bit with learning/remembering our names, and seemed a little "stiff".  I could never do the job, so we still gave him high marks.   The assistant waiter was awesome. 

18 hours ago, Kfamilycruise said:

This thread was so helpful. Thanks to all. Has anyone that has been on Mariner recently eaten in the MDR? I've been hearing not great things about MDR recently -- we were on Odyssey in April and the MDR food was not great. Service, as always was great. Just weighing whether we should get the UDP. Any input would be great.

We will be on Mariner again on Sunday for a 8-night Bermuda/5-night Labadee & Coco Cay B2B. These will be our fourth and fifth cruises on mariner this summer (B3B in July). While we enjoyed doing a few nights in the MDR on each cruise, there are also theme nights in the Windjammer that we feel outshine the MDR menus on several evenings. As for the UDP, there really isn't the variety of specialty restaurants on Voyager class ships to make it worth the cost for us (even though we usually do 1-2 specialty restaurants on each cruise). The current Head Waiter is outstanding, and in our opinion, the Executive Chef is one of the best in the fleet. Every meal we had regardless of which restaurant was very enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 8:54 AM, Biker19 said:

Little diff between her and Freedom class - it will feel very familiar.

Yep, Biker19 has it about right.  We sailed the Voyager in June, and thats what my wife and I decided...very similar to the Freedom [Voyager is sister ship to Mariner].  Not sure why, we actually liked the Voyager better [than the freedom].  Ha...900 passenger load on the Voyager probably had something to do with that, LOL.  

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Great video. We think we were on the same cruise with you.

Thanks.  Pretty sure you were.  Although based on your posts, have you even gotten off the ship yet?   lol

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.