Apple Airtags

talljules1

9 hours ago, kayehall said:

Do you have to have them in a leather key ring?  Or can you just place them in your luggage without one?

The key ring is not required.   I personally use the lather key ring and attach it to one of the interior zipper pulls.

Hi everyone ~ I left this thread in Celebrity's forum because we are all Celebrity cruisers trying to help one another out....and this thread has definitely done that.  Thanks to all who were helpful.

But do me a favor...do not respond to snarky posts.  Simply hit the three dots ... next to the # at the top of every post and hit REPORT!  That sends the hosts a message and makes it much easier for us to address things quickly.  

THANKS and happy cruising!

• Thanks 2

Would someone please do a simple Air Tag for Dummies kind of explanation of how these work? I understand it would pair with my iphone and I can somehow find where my bag "is", but what do I need to do to pair it and then retrieve info from it? If I were to fly into Vancouver for my cruise, but my bag doesn't, say it stays in my connecting airport of Dallas. How will I know that? What do I need to do to see? Not being dense about it, just want to know what I have to do to get the most out of it if I buy one. Thank you for any help.

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Could be soon , as Airtages Gen 1 have been on sale on Amazon and Costco for a couple of weeks 

I heard 2025 but I heard the only change will be that will are thinner and have greater Bluetooth range. 

20 minutes ago, Kevin's girl said:

Would someone please do a simple Air Tag for Dummies kind of explanation of how these work?

Follow this link for a very good explanation...

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The key ring is not required.   I personally use the lather key ring and attach it to one of the interior zipper pulls.

I put ours in the internal zippered pockets in the suit case and my backpack. 

Huge fan, 

2 hours ago, Kevin's girl said:

Would someone please do a simple Air Tag for Dummies kind of explanation of how these work? I understand it would pair with my iphone and I can somehow find where my bag "is", but what do I need to do to pair it and then retrieve info from it? If I were to fly into Vancouver for my cruise, but my bag doesn't, say it stays in my connecting airport of Dallas. How will I know that? What do I need to do to see? Not being dense about it, just want to know what I have to do to get the most out of it if I buy one. Thank you for any help.

You need an iPhone to use airtags

1) Remove the tag from the package and pull the plastic tab that keeps the battery from making contact

2) Removing the plastic activates them and a window will popup on your phone so you just hit "connect"

3) If you want to see where something is you open the app "Find my"

How to add an AirTag to Find My on iPhone | ZDNET

How to Pair and Use AirTag With Your iPhone

Locate an AirTag or other item in Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Hi everyone ~ I left this thread in Celebrity's forum because we are all Celebrity cruisers trying to help one another out....and this thread has definitely done that.  Thanks to all who were helpful.

But do me a favor...do not respond to snarky posts.  Simply hit the three dots ... next to the # at the top of every post and hit REPORT!  That sends the hosts a message and makes it much easier for us to address things quickly.  

THANKS and happy cruising!

Thanks for leaving it here, but I didn’t see anything “snarky”…maybe I’m immune. 

Happy cruising to you too..the next post I report to you will be the first…thick skin here.,

Edited by PTC DAWG

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:
3 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Thanks for leaving it here, but I didn’t see anything “snarky”…maybe I’m immune. 

I didn’t see anything snarky but possibly it was removed. 

One thing I have noticed is that AirTags have become a real hit. I am surprised that Google has not come out with their own competing product yet. It heard it was in the works and they did work out a deal for a standard with Apple to detect all trackers on each others Find My to prevent stalking. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I didn’t see anything snarky but possibly it was removed. 

One thing I have noticed is that AirTags have become a real hit. I am surprised that Google has not come out with their own competing product yet. It heard it was in the works and they did work out a deal for a standard with Apple to detect all trackers on each others Find My to prevent stalking. 

They came in handy yesterday.  Delayed flight shortened the connection time, bags didn’t make it and United said they’d deliver to the hotel that was on the coast about 120 miles away.  I landed at 11am and they weren’t delivered until 2am.  Thanks to my AirTags I could see when they really were on their way or not.  I’ll also add the United bag tracker wasn’t remotely accurate with the status 

IMG_4839.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They came in handy yesterday.  Delayed flight shortened the connection time, bags didn’t make it and United said they’d deliver to the hotel that was on the coast about 120 miles away.  I landed at 11am and they weren’t delivered until 2am.  Thanks to my AirTags I could see when they really were on their way or not.  I’ll also add the United bag tracker wasn’t remotely accurate with the status 

IMG_4839.jpeg

Yep.  I found out when my bags arrived at the local airport.  I watched my lost bags go from the airport to the hotel.

When you are going on a 2-week cruise with a lost bag, you are a bit concerned ...🙄  I probably exercised every available means to find out when my bag was going to arrive ...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I’ll also add the United bag tracker wasn’t remotely accurate with the status 

That is interesting info. I have heard of the United trackers but nothing about how well they work. 

• Like 1

The information below suggests to me that if I put an AirTag into my car or a piece of my luggage and somebody steals it, the AirTag will let the thief know that their privacy is being invaded at some point if they have an iPhone. Read “AirTag is designed to discourage tracking” Am I wrong in thinking this as it appears to go against what I thought the AirTag would be good for ie. finding my car or luggage after it was stolen. 

IMG_1957.thumb.png.af234e11b498086ddcb9022baed63f8b.png 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kevin's girl said:

Would someone please do a simple Air Tag for Dummies kind of explanation of how these work?

The AirTags send a relatively short range signal.  In and of itself, it is nothing but a unique code to identify the particular AirTag.  If and when that signal is received by any Apple ios device, that device sends it's location and the fact that it received a signal from an AirTag to Apple's server.  Then when you look at your "Find My" app you can see the location where your AirTag was last reported to the network.  The receipt of the signal,a nd transmission of the location are done completely without any action by the owner/user of the detecting device.   Only you can track your device unless you choose to share the tracking information with someone. 

To prevent someone for surreptitiously using an AirTag to track someone, if your phone detects an AirTag travelling with you you will get an alert.

Weaknesses:  If the AirTag is not near an Apple device, its posiiton will not update, so it will show as still being at it's last known location.  This can lead to some tension when using them to track luggage, particularly on larger planes (i.e. wide-body planes) where the luggage is placed in containers prior to being placed on the plane, as the AirTag generally loses contact at that point.  There also can be anomolies if the apple device that picks up the signal is connected to a satellite Wifi system, like on the ship, as it may show the terrestrial base of the Wifi, rather than the actual location. 

Because it will show the last location until it gets a new signal, if an AirTag moves without it's signal being detected you won't know where it's gone. 

Strengths:

If luggage goes missing, you can help yourself by being able to tell the airline what city it's in, in a manner that is often more accurate than the airline's system.  The airline's system relies upon scanning of the bar code label as the bag moves through the system. A missed scan, or a missing label can result in wildly inaccurate information. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1

@Kevin's girlSorry, my answer above didn't format correctly:

The AirTags send a relatively short range signal.  In and of itself, it is nothing but a unique code to identify the particular AirTag.  If and when that signal is received by any Apple ios device, that device sends it's location and the fact that it received a signal from an AirTag to Apple's server.  Then when you look at your "Find My" app you can see the location where your AirTag was last reported to the network.  The receipt of the signal,a nd transmission of the location are done completely without any action by the owner/user of the detecting device.   Only you can track your device unless you choose to share the tracking information with someone. 

To prevent someone for surreptitiously using an AirTag to track someone, if your phone detects an AirTag traveling with you you will get an alert.

Weaknesses:  If the AirTag is not near an Apple device, its position will not update, so it will show as still being at it's last known location.  This can lead to some tension when using them to track luggage, particularly on larger planes (i.e. wide-body planes) where the luggage is placed in containers prior to being placed on the plane, as the AirTag generally loses contact at that point.  There also can be anomalies if the apple device that picks up the signal is connected to a satellite Wifi system, like on the ship, as it may show the terrestrial base of the Wifi, rather than the actual location. 

Because it will show the last location until it gets a new signal, if an AirTag moves without it's signal being detected you won't know where it's gone. 

Strengths:

If luggage goes missing, you can help yourself by being able to tell the airline what city it's in, in a manner that is often more accurate than the airline's system.  The airline's system relies upon scanning of the bar code label as the bag moves through the system. A missed scan, or a missing label can result in wildly inaccurate information. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kelownadon said:

The information below suggests to me that if I put an AirTag into my car or a piece of my luggage and somebody steals it, the AirTag will let the thief know that their privacy is being invaded at some point if they have an iPhone. Read “AirTag is designed to discourage tracking” Am I wrong in thinking this as it appears to go against what I thought the AirTag would be good for ie. finding my car or luggage after it was stolen. 

AirTags are meant to find misplaced or lost items. They are not designed to track stolen items. So lost or misplaced luggage. If you forgot where you parked. So a thief could discover the tracker. Seems like a lot of them are stupid though as many stolen items have been recovered because of AirTags. A bunch of news reports about that including one where the thief killed someone who tried to recover property without going to the police. In the past few months people tracked their missing luggage to an airport workers house. So I guess the thieves had Android phones. But Android phones will be warned in the future. The AirTags warn people there is an unknown tracker to prevent stalking. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Another Airtag idea.  I think that I will Airtag my golf cart.😁

I did that. I live in a golf cart community and I can't tell you how many times someone drove away with someone else's cart even though the owners names were on each side of the cart.  Thankfully mine isn't a popular make and model where I live.

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Huge fan, 

You need an iPhone to use airtags

1) Remove the tag from the package and pull the plastic tab that keeps the battery from making contact

2) Removing the plastic activates them and a window will popup on your phone so you just hit "connect"

3) If you want to see where something is you open the app "Find my"

How to add an AirTag to Find My on iPhone | ZDNET

How to Pair and Use AirTag With Your iPhone

Locate an AirTag or other item in Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

You can also share the AirTag with members in your family group 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Happy cruising to you too..the next post I report to you will be the first…thick skin here.,

That's because the snarky comments were removed so they are no longer visible.  Many people respond to them regularly which just makes it more difficult to monitor. 

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Another Airtag idea.  I think that I will Airtag my golf cart.😁

Not a bad idea, we have over 10k in my City..

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is interesting info. I have heard of the United trackers but nothing about how well they work. 

The United Airlines baggage tracking website; said out for delivery at one point with delivery by 4pm but when I checked the Airtag location at 3pm, they were still in at the airport and weren't delivered until 2am

• Like 1

Thank you for the link and the simplified explanations. I have ordered a four pack and will give them a go. We have Tile fobs for our keys but airtags seem more user friendly and more up to date technology.

• Like 1