When do you put your luggage tags on your suitcase

flifish64

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas.

I think I will go with putting the luggage tag in its plastic holder inside the suitcase.

Then if lost they immediately have the info on where it is headded.

Also going to include the info on hotel we are staying at before the cruise starts.

Carol

On 7/8/2022 at 8:37 PM, Terre said:

Before we leave home.  I print out extras in case one gets torn off, but so far, we've never lost one yet in 47 cruises!

Not good idea if you are flying to cruise.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

well they have done 47 cruises, thus far, and never had a problem, so something seems to be working for them.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:18 PM, cruisestitch said:

Airline tags and cruise tags are completely different, no risk of confusion.

I always put mine on at home before going to the airport.

why? Based on advice from one of the “greeters” at the airport.  She said that if there is an unclaimed suitcase that has gone astray and is forlornly circling the baggage carousel with a Celebrity tag attached she always grabs it and sees that it makes it to the ship.

That is so true.  We put them on at home (lesson learned) after we experienced our bags not making it to a connecting flight.  If your luggage misses the flight, the ship info is available to fly the bags forward. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, Oklahoma Cruiser 2012 said:

I put my cruise tags already in the little tag holders, inside my suitcase. That way, if they are lost, the airline could, in theory, take the extra step and see it gets to the cruise ship. Do I actually have confidence that the airline would do that?  Not really.  I've been travelling for almost dfdjafdf years and have never had a lost piece of luggage. 

Yes...the airline forwarded our luggage to the ship's pier(s) which we rec'd 3 days into the cruise.  The ship and the airline did the utmost to follow the bags, but unfortunately they would arrive each time after the ship had left port.  We also now make sure the cruise tags are in their plastic sleeve (Amazon or other travel item stores) firmly attached to the luggage.  Had certain necessaries packed in a carry-on bag for me and DH but no fun wearing jeans/tee/runners for a few days....LOL.

Edited by Oceangoer2

25 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Yes...the airline forwarded our luggage to the ship's pier(s) which we rec'd 3 days into the cruise.  The ship and the airline did the utmost to follow the bags, but unfortunately they would arrive each time after the ship had left port.  We also now make sure the cruise tags are in their plastic sleeve (Amazon or other travel item stores) firmly attached to the luggage.  Had certain necessaries packed in a carry-on bag for me and DH but no fun wearing jeans/tee/runners for a few days....LOL.

Speaking of no fun, many years ago we had a trip planned to Acapulco in the middle of February, from Wisconsin. Leaving from Wisconsin, we were dressed appropriately, long pants, sweater, heavy coat, etc. We were late getting into St. Louis, for the connecting flight so we made the flight, but our luggage didn’t. We must have been quite a sight, dressed as we were and when we got of the plane in Acapulco, it was 90 degrees. First stop was to get shorts, tees and foot ware. The luggage made it the next day.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:17 AM, Lena11033 said:

What happens if you don't put it on before the plane but your luggage doesn't make it to the destination? Because then the airline has to get it to the ship but it would be missing a tag.

That's why you have a luggage tag with your contact info. The airline is going to call you. If the baggage ends up in the wrong city but has a cruise tag on it they are not just going to send it to the right city and onlo the ship without contacting you first.

31 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

That's why you have a luggage tag with your contact info. The airline is going to call you. If the baggage ends up in the wrong city but has a cruise tag on it they are not just going to send it to the right city and onlo the ship without contacting you first.

I only have a work phone, they made it pretty clear they rather us not use it abroad (actually last time I went to the US it just didn't work at all) so contacting me isn't going to be easy unless I have wifi easily available. 

12 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I only have a work phone, they made it pretty clear they rather us not use it abroad (actually last time I went to the US it just didn't work at all) so contacting me isn't going to be easy unless I have wifi easily available. 

If the airline loses one luggage pre-cruise, it’s a good idea to buy Wi-Fi on the ship

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If the airline loses one luggage pre-cruise, it’s a good idea to buy Wi-Fi on the ship

Thankfully I do have that.

I have less faith in the Airlines, Air Canada isn't calling for lost luggage. My employee was calling them constantly and still took 2 weeks for 1 bag to turn up and 4 weeks for the other 🙃

I also am having to fly through Pearson which is one of the worst airports at the moment (at least accordioning to the news). There was on the news yesterday a poll where it said going forward over 50% Canadians would look to fly out of the US because it was better. That's my plan for next year to get to Miami as Detroit isn't too far from me (closer than Toronto) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuliaMS said:

Actually, in our case, when the luggage didn't come off we went immediately to CS, described our luggage, our destination, our ship/port and personal particulars and how many pieces.  We did have our name, etc on the luggage but for the airline to know where it should end up ASAP was important to them.  With that info they did forward to the port but too late as 'the ship had sailed'...LOL.    Just remembered...the luggage came via a different airline than what we had used.  Everyone tried very hard it seems to help us out. Now we ensure the ship tags are also on the luggage.  It MIGHT make an earlier flight without having to go through the CS route.

Edited by Oceangoer2

4 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

That is so true.  We put them on at home (lesson learned) after we experienced our bags not making it to a connecting flight.  If your luggage misses the flight, the ship info is available to fly the bags forward. 

Was told by my old boss - now VP for Alaska Airlines - to tape a sticky note with contact info for your destination including dates and phone number.  We use clear packing tape.  Put info on inside of the sticky.  On the outside write "contact details" and "itinerary inside".  Have had bags reach us 2 ports downline, at our hotel or if traveling by car to multiple cities had then awaiting our arrival - the hotel texted us they were there - 3 days later.

Absolutely positively put a full itinerary on a sheet inside your case.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Actually, in our case, when the luggage didn't come off we went immediately to CS, described our luggage, our destination, our ship/port and personal particulars and how many pieces.  We did have our name, etc on the luggage but for the airline to know where it should end up ASAP was important to them.  With that info they did forward to the port but too late as 'the ship had sailed'...LOL.    Just remembered...the luggage came via a different airline than what we had used.  Everyone tried very hard it seems to help us out. Now we ensure the ship tags are also on the luggage.  It MIGHT make an earlier flight without having to go through the CS route.

Exactly, they forwarded it after you were in contact with them. I would assume most people go straight to the missing bag office at baggage claim. When you fill out the report you tell them what you want done with it. They are not going to find a bag someplace and just send it to a ship, possibly in another state or country without a report even if there is a ship tag on it.

2 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

Exactly, they forwarded it after you were in contact with them. I would assume most people go straight to the missing bag office at baggage claim. When you fill out the report you tell them what you want done with it. They are not going to find a bag someplace and just send it to a ship, possibly in another state or country without a report even if there is a ship tag on it.

agree....contact and tag work together.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, flifish64 said:

Curious as to when everyone puts their cruise luggage tags on their bags.

When you are leaving home so it is on for your flight to the cruise departure city or not until you are headed to the ship.

Carol

If I fly in the day before (Usually do) Before I leave the hotel in the morning.  If I fly in day of cruise, before I get a taxi to hotel....I have cruise tag holders from amazon...so I do not require a staple and they are sturdy..I find just using printed tags sometimes flimsy and easy to fall off.........If I book cruise well in advance sometimes I have had Celebrity mail me my tags , there are a good quality self stick kind.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:10 AM, Snit13 said:

We've done that ever since we started cruising, and like I said, never lost one in 47 cruises.  I always have extras if we do.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 1:06 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just off the Infinity today, showed up tagless, not a problem!  Porter took a blank tag out of his back pocket and wrote on the stateroom number.  Received luggage quickly.  I took a pic to share just for CC.

We always put tags on before heading to the ship.  We do have the plastic covers, so after reading this may think about doing it pre flight.

BUT, we cruised out of the Seattle port last week.  Those that did not have tags on their luggage waited in VERY long lines to get tags.  No porters around putting tags on for you.  Maybe a staff issue post covid...but I would not go to the port without the luggage already tagged.  

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, flifish64 said:

Curious as to when everyone puts their cruise luggage tags on their bags.

When you are leaving home so it is on for your flight to the cruise departure city or not until you are headed to the ship.

Carol

When we're headed to the ship. We use those plastic sleeves with the wire loops specific to cruise line tags so they're very secure on the bags. 

Never had to think about this. Living in Florida, most of my cruising is within a couple of hours away. I'm blessed in that way but as soon as I pull out my suitcases, the luggage tags go on. And the plastic sleeves with wire closures are definately the way to go.

• Like 1