Help please!! Confused about Discovery Princess Alaska Cruise mask policy?

dimiegirl

Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please tell me whether or not masks are mandated on the Discovery Princess Seattle to Seattle Alaska cruise this august. Princess representative said it is but their site says only Northbound or Southbound between Vancouver and Whittier must wear masks. I really need to know as I only have 9 days to cancel my cruise and rebook with the cruise with confidence policy as my cruise leaves august 21st. We do not want to have to wear a mask indoors so I would cancel and rebook if this policy is in effect for this cruise but I just can't get a straight answer from Princess. If anyone has been on the discovery princess or another princess Seattle to Seattle Alaska cruise since late June (that is when this went into effect) I would be very grateful if you could shed some light on this issue. Thank you in advance!

No, it's not required to wear a mask. But it is suggested. We got off the Discovery on July 3rd and I think it was less than 2% of those cruising wore a mask. The entire crew wore a mask at all times.

The Discovery princess is round trip from Seattle which means it is not mandatory but just highly recommend it and suggest it. So in your case you can do whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

Masks are strictly for only the ships sailings that are departing from Anchorage / Whitter or Vancouver.

• Like 1

Please keep in mind that the policy is only as good as today.  Your cruise is more than a month away.  Anything can happen or change.  There have even been reports of masking be instituted mid-cruise.  

Most of the ships on the water are in the orange range.

https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-ship-covid-status-tracker-daily-update-chart-news-and-possible-cases/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thank you all so much for replying and for the excellent information. The princess representative gave me the wrong information obviously since you guys were actually on the ship. You just saved me from canceling the cruise which I was about to do after the representative told me that masks on this cruise would be mandatory indoors... I always wear a mask at work, to me having to wear it the whole time indoors is not a vacation so I am very happy to hear the great news. Thanks so much again for taking the time to respond!!

• Like 1

Please note as others have said. Situations change and you could find masking mandatory partway through your trip. However we masked up when walking through the ship and unmasked at bars restaurants and slot machines. It was not a big deal 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As someone who picked up covid on Discovery last week, with 3400 passengers, I'd mask up smart, regardless of the rules. More people + more time = high risk, and I was distanced or alone most of the time on board, except for the second mainstage show, where I had people around me for over an hour, talking, moving, and breathing on all sides of me. I had an exposure notification app on my phone that also reported I was close to a positive case on that day. In retrospect, I should have skipped the show or worn a mask, given the growth of Omicron 4/5 and the new study that showed it's more transmissible than any other variant or disease in general. The buffet on the Discovery also gets completely packed a lot of the time, so I should have avoided it, although I used my own plastic tray to carry food outside or in an isolated buffet area. Lines for Gigi's can also be long and slow, and going for opening times for lunch and dinner also mean standing in a line with no distancing. So you have to do your own risk assessment, deciding which events and venues are worth the risks of infection and quarantine, deciding where you can reduce your risk by avoiding crowds or masking or staying outside, and doing the same on excursions or indoor shopping in ports. Every tourist shop in Juneau was a zoo, many shows in Princess Live had overflow crowds, the buffet was often packed, even the 9:30 production show had no seats by start time, and August will mean more rain so a greater likelihood of 3400 people packed into limited inside venues. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rj59 said:

As someone who picked up covid on Discovery last week, with 3400 passengers, I'd mask up smart, regardless of the rules. More people + more time = high risk, and I was distanced or alone most of the time on board, except for the second mainstage show, where I had people around me for over an hour, talking, moving, and breathing on all sides of me. I had an exposure notification app on my phone that also reported I was close to a positive case on that day. In retrospect, I should have skipped the show or worn a mask, given the growth of Omicron 4/5 and the new study that showed it's more transmissible than any other variant or disease in general. The buffet on the Discovery also gets completely packed a lot of the time, so I should have avoided it, although I used my own plastic tray to carry food outside or in an isolated buffet area. Lines for Gigi's can also be long and slow, and going for opening times for lunch and dinner also mean standing in a line with no distancing. So you have to do your own risk assessment, deciding which events and venues are worth the risks of infection and quarantine, deciding where you can reduce your risk by avoiding crowds or masking or staying outside, and doing the same on excursions or indoor shopping in ports. Every tourist shop in Juneau was a zoo, many shows in Princess Live had overflow crowds, the buffet was often packed, even the 9:30 production show had no seats by start time, and August will mean more rain so a greater likelihood of 3400 people packed into limited inside venues. 

I agree.  We were on a recent TA and even though almost all passengers were vaxed and boosted and had tested negative to board the ship it became apparent that about 8 to 9 days into the cruise that Covid was becoming a problem and by the time we reached South Hampton there were over 200 cases of people being quarantined to their cabins during the cruise and food brought to their doors in styrofoam containers.  We wore masks the whole time and were lucky not too get infected.  It was no biggie either.  

But with Princess' new lack of Covid policies and the new ultra contagious variants it seems onboard spread of Covid seems to be happening fairly easily.  Last thing I would worry about is wearing a mask on board a cruise.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

I agree.  We were on a recent TA and even though almost all passengers were vaxed and boosted and had tested negative to board the ship it became apparent that about 8 to 9 days into the cruise that Covid was becoming a problem and by the time we reached South Hampton there were over 200 cases of people being quarantined to their cabins during the cruise and food brought to their doors in styrofoam containers.  We wore masks the whole time and were lucky not too get infected.  It was no biggie either.  

But with Princess' new lack of Covid policies and the new ultra contagious variants it seems onboard spread of Covid seems to be happening fairly easily.  Last thing I would worry about is wearing a mask on board a cruise.  

What ship was this

On 7/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, rj59 said:

I was also on Discovery last week and my husband and I are now down with Covid. I think this variant is extraordinarily transmissible, even if you had omicron or another variant recently. If you’re cruising soon, I would just be prepared for a rise in cases for the next 4-6 weeks or so. Unfortunately that’s just the world we are living in now and the risks we take cruising during this weird covid time. Hope you feel better soon, RJ!

• Like 4

On 7/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, dimiegirl said:

Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please tell me whether or not masks are mandated on the Discovery Princess Seattle to Seattle Alaska cruise this august. 

We sailed the Inside Passage from Seattle on Discovery Princess in May.  Masks were not required. Several people wore masks in public spaces, I did not.

I CAUGHT COVID ABORD DISCOVERY PRINCESS IN MAY.

I recommend masks in public spaces.

• Like 3

I am sailing Princess next, but I just finished a Cunard cruise, where masks were required.  We were notified about two weeks before we departed. We wore our masks every day at all times, except at dinner, or in our cabins, or on an outside deck.  The theaters no longer serve or allow food or drinks, although the nightclub did.  However, masks had to be worn while on the dance floor, or on the bus during excursions.  Crew constantly reminded passengers to "mask up" and use sanitizer.  All staff wore masks as well.

I will say after a while I completely forgot about the annoyance of the mask---it just became a daily ritual.  Cruising again after the few years gap was wonderful!!  We enjoyed the relaxing waters, the nice scenery, fine dining, formal nights, and the excellent service.

People roamed around freely around without masks on the shore excursions, so I could see how it might be possible to pick up Covid while in a port. On our cruise there were a great many very elderly passengers, but only a few children.  We returned home healthy, and looking back I am glad the ship took all those precautions.  Because Cunard made mask-wearing a requirement, there was no debate or individual decision-making.  Would I cancel my cruise just because I have to wear a mask?  Absolutely not!

• Like 2

If mask wearing is not required/enforced--make sure you are okay with contracting COVID.

We did Majestic Princess based on the alleged Princess protocols.

We tested positive the day after returning home.

Nobody wore masks onboard, on transfers and no distancing was enforced in any restaurants.

I would never sail Princess again based on the anti-mask passengers.

Everyone coughing without masks---really trashy behavior.

• Like 4

Anything can happen.  We went to a theater show in Toronto where maybe close to half were wearing masks in the theater.  There was plenty of laughing and cheers during the performance.  It was about 2.5 hrs, not including time before the show started.  No Covid for us.

I always had trouble with a mask from the get-go and generally have not worn one since early July 2021 (other than medical & dental offices, or when forced to otherwise, but then usually for short periods of time).  It just wouldn't work for us going on a long cruise voyage and having to wear them all the time indoors.  We are glad to see it changing over to personal choice and hope any requirements are either gone altogether by Fall, or times to be worn are of short duration.  That said, I don't generally go around coughing up a lung, so I don't see why I would do that in future if I was not well.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, rj59 said:

I had an exposure notification app on my phone

I had one too!! Fingers crossed as I've taken care of multiple family members with covid and never gotten it, been on 4 restart cruises escaped it, but I admit I wear a surgical mask indoors unless I'm eating / drinking. I actually found that alert reassuring. Did the iHealth test in my room / negative.  If I'm going to get it I'll get it 

I was on Discovery Princess June 26 to July 3rd.  I was one of the very few passengers that wore a mask all the time except when eating or outside in a non-busy area.  There were signs at all elevators recommending 6 passengers or one family group…..people were constantly piling into the elevator that already had more than 6 people in.  
I am fully vaxed with two boosters and was able to escape the dreaded Covid.

• Like 3

Are the folks reporting catching covid actually sick or just testing positive?  The vaccines do not prevent one from catching covid, they greatly lessen the severity.  With today's vaccines and therapeutics, it's time for the cruise lines to stop wholesale testing of people who are not sick and focus on those who are.

For those who want to take extra precautions, wear an N95 all the time.

• Like 1

My wife and I were on the Crown (another word for 'ship that limps along'), we both wore our masks when indoors and high guest presence.  I believe we were the only two who wore masks as guests.  Of course the mask only protects others from you, not the other way around.. We both tested positive for Covid the day we returned home.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 5:28 PM, dimiegirl said:

Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please tell me whether or not masks are mandated on the Discovery Princess Seattle to Seattle Alaska cruise this august. Princess representative said it is but their site says only Northbound or Southbound between Vancouver and Whittier must wear masks. I really need to know as I only have 9 days to cancel my cruise and rebook with the cruise with confidence policy as my cruise leaves august 21st. We do not want to have to wear a mask indoors so I would cancel and rebook if this policy is in effect for this cruise but I just can't get a straight answer from Princess. If anyone has been on the discovery princess or another princess Seattle to Seattle Alaska cruise since late June (that is when this went into effect) I would be very grateful if you could shed some light on this issue. Thank you in advance!

I hope you are ok catching Covid!  Yes, wearing a mask can be an inconvenience, but getting really sick is worse.  I assume you have a job to get back to after your cruise?  I hope you have a nice stash of sick days you can use, because if you don't mask, the odds are great that you will come back with it and, of course, infect others...  All that so that you are not inconvenienced.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Are the folks reporting catching covid actually sick or just testing positive?  The vaccines do not prevent one from catching covid, they greatly lessen the severity.  With today's vaccines and therapeutics, it's time for the cruise lines to stop wholesale testing of people who are not sick and focus on those who are.

I am pretty sick. I have had both vaccines and also a booster, but I have not had the 4th shot yet. I’m a 39 year old mom and my husband is 37; I work out regularly and neither of us is overweight. This is the first time we’ve ever caught covid and it’s really taken me down. My energy level is currently zero, which is hard because I have a 7 year old who is bouncing off the walls and it’s too hot here to send her outside. I am of course aware the vaccines are meant to keep you from being seriously ill, and it appears ours are performing this function. It feels like a very bad flu for me, but I never get sick like this. 

I feel like cruising nowadays is all about your risk level and what you are willing to do. For us it was worth the covid risk because you can catch it everywhere, although more likely on a cruise. Just be prepared for that. Like I mentioned, this is just the world we live in today, and this variant is a totally different animal. Even if you had it a few weeks ago you could get it again much quicker than you think. That being said, we really enjoyed our cruise and we’d make the same choice again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I agree with what you've said.  From what I hear and read all over the place, people feel they cannot contract CoVid after being vaccinated, boosted or wearing a mask ... none of which are true.  

I survived 11 cruises since the restart and got sick at a family party.  I'm fully vaxxed and boosted.  I wore a mask, I distanced from others, I kept my hands clean, I stayed outside, even walked in through the backyard, not through the house.  I asked everyone if they were healthy because we were going on a cruise a week after the party.  Well, darn it if I didn't get it 3 days before our cruise.  It's just so transmissible, even though I was taking all my precautions.  One person at the party had it and spread it to several others.  

What I didn't do was get really sick.  I felt like I had a moderate cold but I was super tired and lost my sense of smell and taste.  I used the cruiseline protocols for quarantine passengers to keep my DH from getting it.  He never did and he was also at the family party.  I isolated and I was the one to wear a mask if I needed to come downstairs.  I do agree that the one who is already infected needs to be the one to wear a mask.  But, that's not what happens onboard since the protocols have changed.  We've cruised once since my recovery and I probably have a good chance of warding it off if I am exposed to it again in the near future.  I would say about 2% - 5% of the people onboard were masked ... that was last month.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:34 PM, adoris said:

I was on Discovery Princess June 26 to July 3rd.  I was one of the very few passengers that wore a mask all the time except when eating or outside in a non-busy area.  There were signs at all elevators recommending 6 passengers or one family group…..people were constantly piling into the elevator that already had more than 6 people in.  
I am fully vaxed with two boosters and was able to escape the dreaded Covid.

Was on this sailing too. Like Adoris said, most didn't wear masks from what I saw.I wore mine in the elevator or in crowded areas. Figured those were the hot spots. 

We wore masks on our Jan. Oceania trip. Though we had our own, they did provide N-95 masks. They were STRICT. 2 warnings & you could be put off the ship. Pax from the South & West seemed to be the ones to challenge the rule. A few were dropped off at the pier. That got the message to the hold outs pretty fast. When you ate, you were allowed to remove them for your entire dinner, but had to put them on if leaving for any reason. An inconvenience, but we complied. If it's that important to pax, perhaps they should just stay home. We'll see if the lines redo the mandate. If so, we'll deal as we did last Jan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1