Symphony of the Seas - COVID Outbreak

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

The new variants of Omicron appear to take an average of 5 days but sometimes as long as 2 weeks for symptoms to show up.  Getting a negative test 1-2 days prior to cruising isn't a guarantee there's no COVID on board.   Very contagious 2-3 days after symptoms appear and likely before.  Masks do not protect.  Studies have shown that there's little difference between mask mandates and non masking in terms of catching COVID in crowded situations.  Cleaning doesn't work against COVID like it does against NORO.  Hand washing will help if you sneeze, but not against someone breathing near you.

Current vaccines and prior COVID immunity are not as effective against variants.  

IMO, if you have severe  conditions that affect your body's immunity you may not wish to cruise.  Otherwise, you need to take responsibility for yourself and traveling pertner to help avoid situations where you might be exposed to COVID.

100% agree and we are. Just lack of transparency from ship is what irks me. 

54 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

The number of positives are massive but the amount of people getting truly sick other than cold symptoms is small. 

thanks to vaccinations. Plus, I had more than cold symptoms.

55 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

Imagine if 5 years ago, every person tested for a cold at the end of a cruise or even during.. The numbers would be insane

but people rarely die of colds. There is no cold pandemic, is there?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Question. Did they (Royal or the cruise director/hotel manager I suppose) allow the show team(s) to mix with the passengers in whatever bar? Like the Music Hall or Viking Crown lounge or Schooner bar for example. Mixing without wearing their masks I presume?. Or was that allowed on the previous cruise?

Time to fine Royal millions for the mishandling  of this outbreak. They will soon clean up their act.

Yes and dining together in specialty restaurants with family members. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

You must be feeling really bad if you are at the ER. Were you suppose to fly home or drive, where is home at? Will you be looking for a hotel?

Fly home. We have found a hotel while we get a rental car to drive. 

I’m still home with Covid that I got from an extended family gathering.  80 people and 35 reported sick within 4 days.  No one’s in the hospital but it spread like wildfire.  I was miserable for 4 days with a really bad sore throat but just tired and coughing now.

Covid will continue to be on ships as it’s everywhere.  As long as the variants don’t cause more severe cases life will go on.  We have to learn to live with it.  Instead of coming home with colds and flu, we’ll be coming home with covid.  I feel for the crew having to deal with this week after week. 

Hopefully the OP recoverers quickly.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kokomo91165 said:

100% agree and we are. Just lack of transparency from ship is what irks me. 

Short of the Captain telling you people were in quarantine (which is every ship) what would you have liked for the cruise line to be transparent about?

I hope you and your Wife are feeling better soon and have full recovery.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Exactly!   Royal originally said they were cancelling support payments for quarantine earlier this year, I think April, but they extended.   

I have heard repeatedly that Carnival does Not provide any financial assistance.  I'm not sure about NCL, HAL, MSC or others.

Yes, pro-rate the passengers in quarantine and be helpful in providing a list of hotels for quarantine if unable to drive home.   But no need for royal to pay for 5 to 10 days of hotel and meals.   If concerned purchase proper travel insurance.

But Deb, as long as Royal says they will cover the expenses for quarantining after positive on one of their ships you will use it?

If say you were getting off a ship in Florida after being positive and quarantined on day 5 of a 7 day cruise and had to quarantine another 5 days on land before you could fly home to Pa. I assuming you would file a claim with Royal once at home right?

You wouldn't turn it down if Royal still offers that?

Royal even put it in their advertising. I can still hear Fain saying, being on one of their cruise ships is the safest places on earth during covid  because of all our new protocols.

Remember the panels of experts they hired, to make all this protocols to prevent people from getting Covid............That is one of the reasons they put in that clause to take care of anyone that does become positive..........They were expecting hardly any........turns out bad assumption on their part.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Covid will continue to be on ships as it’s everywhere.  As long as the variants don’t cause more severe cases life will go on.  We have to learn to live with it.  Instead of coming home with colds and flu, we’ll be coming home with covid.  I feel for the crew having to deal with this week after week. 

I see this type of reasoning a lot.  "We have to learn to live with it".  Have you heard of Long Covid?  Or seen recent studies that show every infection causes cumulative damage to your immune system and can cause organ damage?  Covid is a serious virus that we don't fully understand yet.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, NeedsVitaminSea said:

I see this type of reasoning a lot.  "We have to learn to live with it".  Have you heard of Long Covid?  Or seen recent studies that show every infection causes cumulative damage to your immune system and can cause organ damage?  Covid is a serious virus that we don't fully understand yet.  

So what's the alternative? Shut down cruising again?  That's the only option to truly stop spreading on cruise ships.  Otherwise it's just buyer beware. 

Those who continue to opt to cruise are by definition, whether explicitly or implicitly, opting for a "learn to live with it" outlook.  If not, they'd stay home.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

So what's the alternative? Shut down cruising again?  That's the only option to truly stop spreading on cruise ships.  Otherwise it's just buyer beware. 

Those who continue to opt to cruise are by definition, whether explicitly or implicitly, opting for a "learn to live with it" outlook.  If not, they'd stay home.

If cruising is shut down, then so should air travel, train travel, sporting events, etc. This is a virus, and viruses don’t “go away”. This will be here in some variant forever. We can’t stay trapped forever. It is becoming manageable although not pleasant at all for most people. Yes, some get it worse, just like any other virus. But we can’t stop living forever. 

• Like 3

Simply to add to this, I had friends on Symphony a few weeks ago. They wore masks whenever they were outside their cabin, except at meals. Four of their group came down with Covid by the end of the trip (25%). 

Everything seem to indicate Royal is simply putting too many people on their ships at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

Based on my 3 cruises earlier this year we felt safe and did not see or hear of COVID cases being an issue. The difference was masks being worn for the most part, and ships sailing at50-60% so you had distance between guests. We also avoided those who did not have masks on as some just cannot follow the rules. To those who say masks do not work, follow the science and you will see studies show a good fitting N 95 mask works, not 100% but they provides a good amount of protection, especially when added with distance to others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2