Xbox in stateroom for Oasis

We will be traveling with our three grandsons on the Oasis in the Caribbean next April.  They are video game junkies and are old enough to be left in the stateroom while their parents are out doing adult things.  The question I have is, are there accessible connections on the TV in the staterooms to allow the connection of an Xbox?  Secondly, are the wifi speeds for the Voom streaming package fast enough including sufficient ping time to allow for gaming?

9 hours ago, rjp50 said:

We will be traveling with our three grandsons on the Oasis in the Caribbean next April.  They are video game junkies and are old enough to be left in the stateroom while their parents are out doing adult things.  The question I have is, are there accessible connections on the TV in the staterooms to allow the connection of an Xbox?  Secondly, are the wifi speeds for the Voom streaming package fast enough including sufficient ping time to allow for gaming?

Ping time on a good day is about 215

I personally would NOT take the Xbox.  You are taking a cruise to get out of the everyday routine and for the kids to spend time with family.  There is so much to do on cruises.  I would just tell the boys..."Sorry you can not hook up a gaming system to the TV."

• Like 8

I don’t know if it’s possible, but my 19 year old would be stuck in the cabin. Last year he brought his Xbox on our beach vacation, the year before the rental house came with it, this year I said absolutely not (his 4 siblings and 3 cousins were there too). Teens can find stuff to do on the ship.

• Like 2

Even if you get it connected to the TV, you may not be able to get it connected to wifi since you have to log into the wifi portal and not just simply connect. Some claim to get that to work on xbox, others not.

Edited by smokeybandit

10 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Secondly, are the wifi speeds for the Voom streaming package fast enough including sufficient ping time to allow for gaming?

As mentioned above, the ping is so bad via a sat connection (even on O3B which Oasis has) that any interactive game is likely to be terrible.

Edited by Biker19

There are several challenges to this. One, depending on how the TV is set up in the room, you will not be able to connect the HDMI cable to the TV.  A lot of the TVs are wall mounted and you can't pull them out to access the plugs in the back. If the TV has a side HDMI port, you can do it, but then you have the challenge #2. You need a way to change the input of the TV to the now connected HDMI input. The RCCL remotes don't have an input option on them, so you will have to take a universal remote and sync it. Three, as others have pointed out, getting online. The internet can be extremely spotty and slow at times so it would not work out well for any online gaming (especially games like Fortnite or Call of Duty). If they wanted to play games that were not online games, you could do that once you are able to get connected to the TV. 

• Like 1

What happened to saying No, you can't bring all your gadgets, and saying you need to get out and enjoy what we are paying for?

The kid's are has many gaming items they can do not to mention pools, sports decks, and eating

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 1

OMG - people are so toxic on this forum it's truly disheartening.

To answer the specific question - if you can hook it up (it's not always possible to access the rear of the TV), the internet rate will be beyond frustrating for them and the games will be almost unplayable du to lag.

It's always a minor challenge leaving kids in the room with something to do for a couple hours while parents grab a meal together (gasp) alone once or twice during the week.

Our preference for safety and to prevent any potential issues was to have our boys (then 11 and 13) in the room rather than wandering the ship - for which kids will also get ragged on - you literally can't win on this one. 

We have a switch that works pretty well because they can play off-line games (also GREAT on flights)  or they have games/shows they can play/watch on their ipads.  The surf and stream has always worked pretty well for us and we haven't had issues not being able to watch Netflix or Disney+.   TV/Movie selection on Royal is terrible.

There are consoles in the teen club - but I think they have to be 12 - so it depends on how old your kids are, and I think the game selection was meh.  My son thinks they had a Wii U and PS3 in there -  he's a gamer and they didn't interest him at all.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the parenting advice but their actual parents are not comfortable letting them have the run of the ship at their age.  That leaves three possibilities - have them stay in Ocean Adventures, have them with mom and dad 100 percent of the time and deny mom and dad any adult time or let them hang out together on occasion in their cabin while mom and dad have some vacation time.  It would be nice if they loved Ocean Adventure enough to want to be there and if OA had capacity for them, but if that is not the case, I was trying to develop Plan B.

For those who addressed my question - thanks, it was useful information.  Perhaps iPad-based games are the best solution.

Edited by rjp50
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, reefgeek83 said:

If its really that important, why not just leave them home and save the money on their room?

Its a vacation, tell them to get out and enjoy something new. They'll survive a week without video games.

OP simply asked a question about ability for XBox connection, not others opinions on how this family should or should not spend their vacation time. 

• Like 2

I think when they see what the Oasis has to offer, they might want to spend time away from the cabin vs in the cabin.  Fallback would be AO with their Xbox.  Post back and let us know how it goes.

And, yes, this board has become really "boundary-less" with people using a simple question as an excuse to criticize the way another person lives.  

My grandsons will tell you I don’t no CRAP about this stuff but aren’t there games that are downloaded so they wouldn’t need an internet connection to play them?  And of course there are actual disks that can be used.  Those don’t require internet either right?  I get the “they’re on a cruise, go out and enjoy it!!!”  But I don’t think OP is talking about 24/7 gaming, just something to keep them occupied for a few hours.  Really how is this different from me reading a book on my balcony for a few hours?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, poocher said:

My grandsons will tell you I don’t no CRAP about this stuff but aren’t there games that are downloaded so they wouldn’t need an internet connection to play them?  And of course there are actual disks that can be used.  Those don’t require internet either right?  I get the “they’re on a cruise, go out and enjoy it!!!”  But I don’t think OP is talking about 24/7 gaming, just something to keep them occupied for a few hours.  Really how is this different from me reading a book on my balcony for a few hours?

That's true that games are either downloaded or played through a disc, but most kids and teens nowadays play games that are meant to be played fully and exclusively online as they are massive multiplayer experiences. If your kids or grandchildren scream that they can't pause the game when you call them over for dinner, this is probably the kind of game they are playing.

That said, as was said before the Internet on the ship won't provide a good online gaming experience, even if you purchase Surf and Stream, because it is a satellite connection. Games require small packets of data to be sent back and forth very quickly to update what's going on in the game. Satellite connections, however, are built to sent huge packets of data but less frequently due to the time it takes for the signal to go back and forth. It is the exact opposite of what you'd like for online gaming because it generates extreme amounts of lag.

And then there's the issue of connecting to the TV. I used to travel a lot for work and bring my PS4 with me to plug to the hotel's TV, but in each hotel I had a different problem:

- the way the TV was wall mounted blocked access to the HDMI ports;

- the remote control in the room lacked controls to change the input source and the TV had no buttons on it;

- the TV was a special type called Hospitality TV made for hotels where every port, if there's any, is disabled;

- no power outlet close enough to the TV;

List goes on. If they are cool playing offline, perhaps gaming solutions for which a TV is optional would be better, such as an iPad, the Nintendo Switch, a Steam Deck, a PS Vita or anything of that sort.

My boyfriend plays Xbox, and while we've never taken a gaming console on a cruise, the Xbox question peaked my interest. I did a little research for you.

Bringing an Xbox on a cruise ship and hooking it up to your stateroom TV can be done. Here's a tutorial I found on how to set it up, filmed back in 2015 - https://youtu.be/6ekwFX_pV6E

Playing Xbox Live or streaming games wouldn't be very fun with the very slow internet connection, but not all Xbox games need to be played online. Here's a tutorial on how to play digital Xbox One games offline (search for your grandson's specific Xbox model for model-specific information) - https://youtu.be/6JfeD1Yluew

Now, an Xbox is not a compact console (I know because there is quite a large Xbox X in my living room). I'm not sure if they're in the market for a new gaming system, but the Nintendo Switch is intended to be portable - it can be played as a handheld, or with friends on a television. I do not currently have a Nintendo Switch in my living room, but I've had friends bring their Switches over and we've used them on my TV. Here's a video of how to set it up for game play on a cruise ship - https://youtu.be/oBkhpRB-U3Q (in the comments, it looks like others may have had issues with setting it up for online play), and here's a vlog of someone I can only assume to be a streamer playing a Switch on a cruise which demonstrates the portability of it - https://youtu.be/0Aaot5qinn4

See the CC community can be helpful without snark!!  I realize kids play online games with others (see? I do know crap!!).  But if internet is an issue, offline play is a viable option.  My (favorite, shhh don’t tell anyone) grandson brought his Switch when I took him to Disney.  Worked well for him.  He played it in the morning while we got ready & had breakfast in the room and then again for a while after pool time at night.  OP, I hope you all have a great time!

18 hours ago, reefgeek83 said:

If its really that important, why not just leave them home and save the money on their room?

Its a vacation, tell them to get out and enjoy something new. They'll survive a week without video games.

would you criticize someone who said they like to read on their balcony the same way?

also just because it’s there doesn’t mean they’re spending every waking moment playing it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pcur said:

And, yes, this board has become really "boundary-less" with people using a simple question as an excuse to criticize the way another person lives.  

I really don't think anyone was criticizing the way anyone was living.  I think that everyone, me included, was just trying to point out the fact that a gaming system should not be a top priority for a vacation.  Vacation is family time no matter how you look at it or break it down.  And not to be a downer when I say this but it looks like it is an extended family vacation...grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins...they should really enjoy this time with these people because you never know when they will no longer be with them, I know that is sad to say but no one has forever with their family. There is enough things to do on the ships without needing to bring an Xbox, even if the parents want "alone time".  

1 minute ago, hotsauce126 said:

would you criticize someone who said they like to read on their balcony the same way?

also just because it’s there doesn’t mean they’re spending every waking moment playing it

To be fair, having 2 young adult sons, I am pretty certain that when they were younger and brought their Xboxes on a cruise the temptation to play a lot would’ve been huge, it was a huge addiction amongst their friends as well. I have 2 nephews that game a lot, vacation with them every year and they rarely leave the house, game all day long.I honestly can’t think of any other activity to compare it to except social media. I’m sure the response would be similar if a parent wanted to make sure their kids had 24/7 unlimited access to the internet because they liked to be on their phones constantly.

It wasn't that long ago, when you went on a family vacation, that kids managed to live without a smart phone, xbox, video's etc.  People say some of our answers are snarky, but I know many kids, if you bring an xbox and put in in the room, they will never come out.  Our kids were told to go to kids club, or hang with us.  They did not, or have their means of texting friends (yes, they had phones).  

As grandparents (the poster), it seems they are trying to give the grandkids a reason to join them, by dangling toys to play with, instead of spending time on the trip, as a vacation.  Look, if you want to lock the kids in a room to play video games instead of getting outside, and playing with other kids, socialize, eating meals with you, going into ports, doing family things together, than that is fine, but being snarky wondering why you need to bring video games on a vacation will happen.  

My grandkids, when with me, they are with me, not having artificial babysitter in the room.  They have a blast.  They are doing things they can't do at home.  Let them outside their comfort zones, they are not home.....they are on vacation with you. 

When they roll their eyes and say I am so old, I remind them, that my generation invented the video games

I believe Op is looking for an activity for the kids IN THE ROOM rather than wandering the ship on their own while adults have a nice dinner.  I have my own opinion on this scenario but, for a change, am keeping it to myself.  When we took (not my favorite) grandson on a cruise, we offered arcade/gaming time.  He was having so much fun in the pools/hot tubs/slides, he didn’t use the offer.  He also liked putting on nice(r) clothes & eating in the MDR.  We don’t know OPs grandkids so let’s not assume what they might do.