Due to lost Luggage a woman wore sweat pants every day on 15 Day Cruise ??

M&A

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I flew back from Paris yesterday.  It was a full flight.  FAs were making announcements to please put little bags under the seat so that people in the back might have a chance at having overhead space.  I was up front, so I didn't care.  If i'm on a nonstop i'll check my carryon anyway to avoid the overhead scrum - it's now habit.  I went for a month between France and Italy with my carryon and my backpack.  I did a lot of trains, so it was important to be light and nimble.   If something happened to my luggage and I had to wear my sweats, I wouldn't care and I wouldn't care what people thought.  Never know if and when it's going to happen to you!!

Having lost luggage is one of those nightmares I hope I never have to experience.   

On 7/26/2022 at 11:12 PM, DrSea said:

Thank you for your insight. Yes I am very thankful for being so able body.

I frequently care for patients on their death bed and I ask them what would they do differently if they had the chance. 3 common themes came up:

1. They regret working so much. 
2. They regret not spending more time with their family

3. they wish they traveled more when they were younger and able to walk. 

I’m doing my best to not repeat these mistakes, although I work 80-100 hours a week. I’m trying. I am traveling and am in my early 30s. I appreciate the privilege I have

I am particularly moved by your post - as I was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer 3 1/2 years ago. thanks go great doctors, lots of chemo therapy and removal of one lung - I am currently cancer free and SO happy to be able to travel again.  But although I am so grateful to be healthy enough to continue to travel.....the loss of my luggage would be a terrific blow to me if it were to happen.

It may seem "shallow" to many of you....but there ARE those who can pivot and do with a few basic items of clothing....change a scarf here or there......but try as I might, I am NOT one of these people.  It just bothers me as of course clothes and the number of choices you have mean more to some cruisers.....and I just happen to be one of them.  Others are totally equipped to roll with the punches....and do well with whatever they carried on.  It is just NOT fair to judge those of us who would NOT be able to enjoy a long awaited cruise...if their also long awaited wardrove planning was disrupted due to lost luggage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:02 AM, Joebucks said:

I really wish airlines would just level the playing field on luggage. If you're concerned about an extra 50 lbs, that 50 lbs shouldn't matter if it's in two smaller bags or one large one. It is tiring to fight with people for overhead space, hear arguments over what everyone feels they deserve, get whacked in the head, have to help people with heavy bags, slow down the entire deboarding process, etc. Carry-on culture has become far more of a hassle than it needs to be. All largely because of this loophole we've created to get "free luggage".

I love to watch people being shot down for storing their backpack in the overhead bins. You want to bring this stuff, you follow the same rules. It's a terrible precedent to allow everyone to put their personal item up there. God forbid you try to bring a carry-on to a flight that has it free but charges for a checked bag. Good luck finding a space. If there's extra space after everyone has had a chance to store their carry-on, then have at it.

Getting on a plane should never be a rush to get an amenity, ie - seat or storage. It just adds to the stress of flying. This is one reason I hate flying Southwest. I'm not trying to battle for seats. However it is nice to have included checked in luggage there so everyone doesn't feel forced to carry on. 

Agree with you about Southwest.....as we have been Frequent Flyers for many years now.....enough that I fly free with my hubby who has tons of miles.  BUT we have also watched the endless abuse of the free carryon luggage procedures as some of the bags that passengers come hauling down the aisles are just outrageous!  The process of getting all of this carryon luggage up into the overhead bins takes forever....and the process is repeated upon arrival at the destination.  

NO one is monitoring the size of the carryons!  And it sucks as others of us are doing our part to make the process streamlined and free of both charges and hassle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

BUT we have also watched the endless abuse of the free carryon luggage procedures

The airlines got it all wrong -- they should be offering a free checked bag, and charging for any carry-on bigger than the underseat compartment.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

I am particularly moved by your post - as I was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer 3 1/2 years ago. thanks go great doctors, lots of chemo therapy and removal of one lung - I am currently cancer free and SO happy to be able to travel again.  But although I am so grateful to be healthy enough to continue to travel.....the loss of my luggage would be a terrific blow to me if it were to happen.

It may seem "shallow" to many of you....but there ARE those who can pivot and do with a few basic items of clothing....change a scarf here or there......but try as I might, I am NOT one of these people.  It just bothers me as of course clothes and the number of choices you have mean more to some cruisers.....and I just happen to be one of them.  Others are totally equipped to roll with the punches....and do well with whatever they carried on.  It is just NOT fair to judge those of us who would NOT be able to enjoy a long awaited cruise...if their also long awaited wardrove planning was disrupted due to lost luggage.

Congrats on being cancer free. I am glad that your team was able to care for you and meet your needs. I love hearing stories such as yours where you get a 2nd lease on life. It really puts things into perspective. I definitely have learned as much from patients as much as they learn from me. I carry with me the impressions that they have left on me, even if they are not around.

Yes, I would be miffed if I lost my luggage too. It's why I carry it on. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, calliopecruiser said:

The airlines got it all wrong -- they should be offering a free checked bag, and charging for any carry-on bigger than the underseat compartment.   

NA carry on rules are too generous and NA carriers do enforce them to the extent that other airlines do.

Completely different boarding experience when we board regionals in Asia, Australia or Europe.  Tighter regs, and they are typically enforced.  Boarding is much faster.

This is a problem that is within the carrier's ability to fix/change IF they choose to. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 12:56 AM, ldubs said:

Having lost luggage is one of those nightmares I hope I never have to experience.   

Same -- but I'd also say that planning for that nightmare is better than just hoping it doesn't happen. 

At least if my luggage abandons me for the duration I will have a few items with me that enable me to "wash and wear" and have about three days' worth of outfits.  Beats only having the clothes you're traveling in.

• Like 2

How she chose to pack and how she chose to manage her appearance when life didn’t go her way is her business but to blame the airline and publicly whine about it is crass.

I have got to wonder if this isn’t a myth planted to warn us of the perils of travel😁.  Nobody can be that ignorant .  I have met people who wore the same outfit for a few days while they waited to see what happened but 15!

Edited by Mary229

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

How she chose to pack and how she chose to manage her appearance when life didn’t go her way is her business but to blame the airline and publicly whine about it is crass.

I have got to wonder if this isn’t a myth planted to warn us of the perils of travel😁.  Nobody can be that ignorant .  I have met people who wore the same outfit for a few days while they waited to see what happened but 15!

Yes, that 15 day bit is a stretch.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:08 PM, rkacruiser said:

It wasn't a 15 day cruise, but, there was a gentleman on one of my early cruises, when such clothing was popular, who wore a lime green suit outfit because the luggage where his "dressy clothes" never arrived.  

One of my many jobs while in university in the mid 70's was in the men's wear dept. of the Hudson's Bay department store.

I must have sold hundreds of those horrible polyester leisure suits to middle aged men (and sometimes to their insistent spouses if hubby was reluctant). 

Lime green, horrible blue were just a few of the colors. We were taught to also upsell them a gaudy patterned collared shirt to go with it.  It was an easy sell.  More often as not the shirt was as or more expensive as the leisure suit.   It is the stuff of nightmares!

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Lime green, horrible blue were just a few of the colors. We were taught to also upsell them a gaudy patterned collared shirt to go with it.  It was an easy sell.  More often as not the shirt was as or more expensive as the leisure suit.   It is the stuff of nightmares!

I remember those (usually Trevira) shirts!

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

I remember those (usually Trevira) shirts!

Even worse.....I was at an event a few years later after the fad passed.  Sure enough there was one of those male models.......  complete with the de rigueur white belt and white shoes!   In the fashion of Herb Terluck as it were.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 2