The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 27th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Take Your Houseplants for a Walk, Bagpipe Appreciation Day, and Walk on Stilts Day

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.--Albert Camus

Meal Suggestion for today - Conchas
Drink of the Day - Laphroaig Back Yard Collins
Wine of the Day - Skouras 2019 George Skouras Moschofilero (Arcadia)
Destination of the Day - St. Petersburg, Russia

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Qaqortoq, Greenland 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 08:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

Kristiansand, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Dublin, Ireland, D eta 07/28

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0727Atlantic.thumb.png.f2e1500d52f05e790a731996408e9e8c.png

0727Pacific.thumb.png.5bd77e65fa556c89ca92aad98e458128.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Strange quote today.

I'm not taking any houseplants for a walk today.

Not planning on any stilt walking either.

I do like bagpipe music. 

Been to St. Petersburg many times, the one in Florida.

Off to the golf course in a few minutes, as usual it will be hot and humid.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 29
  • Haha 4

Laphroaig Back Yard Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Laphroaig® Select
3/4 part Lemon Juice
1/2 part Orange Juice
1/2 part Vanilla Syrup
3/4 part Heering® Cherry Liquor
1 Dash Angostura® BittersLight
Lager 1
Lemon Wheel

Instructions
Combine all other ingredients except lager in a cocktail shaker and strain into a Collins glass with fresh ice. Top with a light lager beer and garnish with a lemon wheel.
Vanilla Syrup:
1 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
1 Vanilla Bean
Instructions: Combine vanilla syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 vanilla bean split open). Let cool and strain.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.54.44 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

I won't take my housplants for a walk, or walk on stilts but I will take Bertie for a walk.  I like the bagpipes.

Interesting quote.

I'm not sure what the meal is, I'll wait for the recipe.

I hope the cocktail will be tasty, hope the wine is too.

We were in St Petersburg, Russia many years ago, I'm not sure I can find the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 32

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  Interesting collection of days today, I’m pretty sure that I won’t be walking on stilts.  I like the quote, seems to be saying just do it.  I’ll pass on conchas a meal but I would try one as an accompaniment.  Haven’t been to today’s port and doubt that I’ll get there anytime soon.  Prayers for all on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events 🍻

• Like 29

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I wouldn't dare try to walk on stilts today and have no houseplants.  I enjoy bagpipes, possibly due in part to my Scottish Heritage.  Even in 2017 I felt a sense of relief when the Elegant Explorer pulled away from Putin's Russia.  The Camus  quote is thought provoking.  Not sure about Conchas but it sounds interesting.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Chilled Three Berry Ministrone, and Thai-Style Grilled Chicken as served on MS Prinsendam July 27, 2017, actually the day of our arrival in St. Petersburg.

Today’s care list:

Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Sharon’s mom with Covid
kochleffel undergoing colonoscopy
ktbraun DH with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow arrival in Canada
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Aliaschief in Scotland  until 7/31
Mamaofami Son recovered from Covid
Marshhawk resiliance to overcome childhood trauma
Happy Birthday Superoma
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon from a hot 75°F front garden.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days and curious quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We had a day in St Petersburg during our Baltic cruise in May 2015 on Serenade of the seas.

Wishing everyone good health and happiness.

Graham.

16589196724053654026789344698207.jpg

• Like 33

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I wouldn't dare try to walk on stilts today and have no houseplants.  I enjoy bagpipes, possibly due in part to my Scottish Heritage.  Even in 2017 I felt a sense of relief when the Elegant Explorer pulled away from Putin's Russia.  The Camus  quote is thought provoking.  Not sure about Conchas but it sounds interesting.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Chilled Three Berry Ministrone, and Thai-Style Grilled Chicken as served on MS Prinsendam July 27, 2017, actually the day of our arrival in St. Petersburg.

Today’s care list:

Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Sharon’s mom with Covid
kochleffel undergoing colonoscopy
ktbraun DH with Covid
The locks at Ijmuiden
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow arrival in Canada
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Aliaschief in Scotland  until 7/31
Mamaofami Son recovered from Covid
Marshhawk resiliance to overcome childhood trauma
Happy Birthday Superoma
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Conchas are a popular type of pan dulce (or Mexican sweet bread) that's commonly sold in panaderias (or bakeries) across the U.S. and Mexico. The word 'concha' translates to 'shell' in English, which describes their fun seashell-like appearance. This Mexican breakfast item is made of a fluffy, butter brioche-like dough topped with a streusel topping that is scored.

I am not a baker; these look delicious but beyond my ability.  I could not find an “easy” recipe.  Next time I am near a Mexican bakery, I plan to pick some up.

A concha-shaped cutter is pressed into the top to create the “seashell” pattern.  If you don’t have a cutter, you can use a knife to score it. The slats won’t be perfect but once the concha/pan dulce is baked up, you won’t be able to notice. https://www.acozykitchen.com/conchas-pan-dulce

ConchasRecipe-11-730x730.jpg

Conchas are often flavored with chocolate or vanilla.

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/concha-recipe/

Conchas-Recipe-Mexican-pan-dulce-4_4.jpg

Here are some colorful cupcakes in the style of conchas. https://www.mashed.com/626059/colorful-pan-dulce-conchas-cupcakes-recipe/

pan dulce conchas cupcakes

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

It has been a beautiful morning here in Edinburgh. I have definitely been listening to bagpipes and tried a dram or two of Laphroig.

This morning we rode around on the Hop On bus and then visited beautiful Giles Cathedral and it’s beautiful stained glass windows and architecture.

Of all times the battery on my phone is failing so with all modes shut down it has become just a camera! Here are some pictures from the bus and a couple of insides shots of Saint Giles.

Have a great day. Off to more exploring.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning. Yesterday turned into a weird weather day. We had surprise pop-up T-storms that made for an interesting late morning, early afternoon. I had an amazing lightning show on the drive back from my morning class, but it was sunny when I arrived home. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Just a morning gym class planned today. I need to start going through my travel toiletries to make sure I have enough of everything “hard to find”. Perhaps today would be a good day to start that project. 

My niece, the girls’ Mom, picked out this one. Again the girls did not get the joke, but the adults did. 😎

52BD0957-14AF-402B-9BD6-25B6B6A21285.jpeg.c069dfb0455e6d2bec15f5768e5aed3e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Skouras 2019 George Skouras Moschofilero (Arcadia)

All released vintages of this white wine share the same very good-excellent reviews. I would love to try a taste, since it sounds interesting. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $13.99.

Winemaker Notes

The color is light white yellow. Opulent aromas –light and fresh– of white flowers and honeysuckle are revealed, rounded out with notes of citrus fruits and lime. Medium- to full-bodied, refreshing and vigorous acidity, with the aromas on the mouth following those of the nose. Elegant, balanced and with a long finish.

RP89 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Moscofilero (as Skouras spells it) comes in with four grams of residual sugar, 6.1 grams of total acidity and 12% alcohol. This is, of course, from a high-altitude area—the vines are 650 meters above sea level. Dimitris Skouras said that in 2019 the "summer was dry and relatively hot.... September was colder with a lot of sunshine, which helped the maturity of Moscofilero. Harvest started the 1st of October and was shortly paused because of a rain (4th of October). The general excellent conditions formed very healthy grapes producing high acid, more concentrated, more full-bodied Moscofileros. One of the very best vintages we have seen." This is now under the Arcadia appellation.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 9

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The locks at Ijmuiden

Hi Roy

I can't find anything in the news about the locks that lead to Amsterdam.  I've searched for several days now CNN and BBC, as well as the Internet with no luck in finding any information.

What happened there that the locks are on your Care List?

As always, thanks for your posts and keeping up with everything.

Charles

• Like 22

Happy Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Today I am taking my friend Debbie to get her second cataract surgery.  I will pick her up, take her to the appointment, come home, walk the neighbors dog, pick Debbie back up and take her home.  And then this afternoon I have a zoom meeting with the Louisville symphony.  I saw on the weather news that they are about to get the heavy rains that ST. Louis got yesterday.  So meeting may or may not take place.  

The front yard is beginning to look like a meadow, so I am hoping the lawn guys come today.

I love the quote by Camus.

I am not enjoying the heat, escaping to anywhere is not going to help right now.  We all have it.  But I do need rain.  I dont know what the meal of the day is, but i think it was posted while I have been here.

Have a great day!

b633a36ce1f181c96ce22ff452ffb863.jpg

2bcaa7ccbb895c188424a7528bcf27b6.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 8

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Tina for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

It was a very tiring 5-day trip this time to Chicago - but worth it! My brother, although in Stage 5 Parkinson's, was seemed healthier this time. Somehow the hospital was giving him his Parkinson's medications with feeding him with the PEG. It turns out that lessens the effectiveness of the meds. He does weaken quickly so I was only able to visit with him for about 1/2 hour.  His speech is almost unintelligible but he and DSIL have developed a form of sign language to communicate. It was worth the trip to just hold his hand. I feel confident that we will not be making the inevitable trip back soon. 

The wedding was beautiful! The weather was great for the outside ceremony, but we unfortunately missed it as the drive Saturday was hampered by a huge storm in Indiana that included spending half an hour at a rest area at its height. Then all that was compounded by  two accidents with miles-long backups close to Chicago on the Interstates. The reception was like a party which is what the married couple wanted. Everybody was on the dance floor a good part of the evening. My four-year old grandson was even in a conga line!

We enjoyed our two-day visit to St. Petersburg in 2017 aboard the Zuiderdam. I am glad we did visit then as I really wonder if it will once again be a cruise destination soon. I can't believe that cruise lines are including it in 2023 itineraries.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It's another beautiful morning 73F and we have a prediction of 93 getting cloudier this afternoon.  Yesterday they said thunderstorms around noon but of course they were wrong again.  I hope the weather is good for all of us today!

Thanks Rich for the Daily and Fleet Report.  The port of St. Petersburg, Russia was posted here Oct. 27, 2021 and quite a few people posted photos of their visits.  I did not post photos even though we have been there.  We were getting our booster shots that day so we were just a little busy.  I also saw where Oct. 27 was Graham's birthday.  Better mark that on our calendars!  LOL!  The conchas look interesting but not what I'd usually have for dinner.  Looks more like dessert!  I can appreciate bagpipes in small quantities.  No way I can walk on stilts.  I'd like to see someone taking their houseplants for a walk.  I'd be sure to take a picture or video of it to share here.  Nice to hear from Jack @Heartgroveabout the wedding and visit to his DB.  

Thanks for the Care and Celebration lists Roy.  Prayers for everyone in need of them, and especially the Ukraine.  Cheers to all on our Celebration list.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, ChaCr said:

Hi Roy

I can't find anything in the news about the locks that lead to Amsterdam.  I've searched for several days now CNN and BBC, as well as the Internet with no luck in finding any information.

What happened there that the locks are on your Care List?

As always, thanks for your posts and keeping up with everything.

Charles

From what I understand the water levels are low due to lack of rain, so they are trying to protect the nearby farms from too much salt water mixing in with the fresh water.  Therefore restrictions on the lock usage.  Could have half of that correct and the other half way off, so please let me know if that's the case.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

I love the sound of bagpipes  OUTSIDE!  However, several years ago DH, my friend Jerry and I attended a symphony called Orkney Wedding, and the piece ends with a lone bagpiper entering the back of the hall and piping away until he reached the stage and joined the symphony..  It was beautiful!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Happy hump day.  Rainy here we had a night of rain last night. A thunderstorm would roll through then another more lightning than wind or heavy rain.  I am sure the garden is loving it.  We had a nice trip into town to a real grocery with great produce in Escanaba.  I was able to get on Navigator but the tour I wanted was full so I contacted PCA Francis to get me on the waiting list. Therefore I booked two excursions for Ushuaia and Buenos Aires so I don't meet the same problem.   

A day of gardening and gravel moving today. Have a great day and thanks for the Daily Reports.  I think the cocktail would be really strange with Laphroaig but they are smoking so many cocktails these days it could do it with the Laphroaig. Thanks for the conchas recipes. I would see them at breakfast buffets in Mexico now I am sad I didn't try them. Prayers for all on our Care list and continued prayers for Ukraine. 🙏

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2