No perks using a TA?

A friend recommended her TA that she uses to book all of her cruises. In the last 3 weeks I booked 4 cruises. 2 on RC website and 2 with this TA. My price was the same as the website for the 2 bookings with this TA…no perks…no OBC.. nothing. 
I’m wondering why she uses a TA at all and thinking this is the last time I will. I see no benefit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

A friend recommended her TA that she uses to book all of her cruises. In the last 3 weeks I booked 4 cruises. 2 on RC website and 2 with this TA. My price was the same as the website for the 2 bookings with this TA…no perks…no OBC.. nothing. 
I’m wondering why she uses a TA at all and thinking this is the last time I will. I see no benefit. 

Have you ever encountered an issue that required you calling Royal to try to fix it? If so, then you might understand the value in a TA! They make all the calls for you and handle all the issues for you so that you don’t have to worry about a thing! Sometimes certain agents run specials, as well, that might offer you OBC or some other small perks. But at the very least, it doesn’t cost you *more* to book with a TA - so why not give someone the business? 🙂

• Like 2

I used to book everything myself online because I liked the idea of having "control" of my reservation.

About a year ago, I switched exclusively to a TA.  She takes care of everything, is very responsive, and I get some OBC.  She's done enough busy work that for one cruise coming up, our price has reduced so much that I ended up asking her to keep the entire commission and not give me any OBC.  Our savings not only took care of any OBC but our airfare as well.  Some TAs will do a lot to earn their money.

• Like 3

Booking on your own is great, until it isn't.  When things go wrong a good TA is worth their weight in gold.  We have a Wonder booked for November.  This cruise has been pending and moved several times due to COVID and part of the family not wanting to go any longer.  I had seven FCC to redeem last month.  My TA took care of getting the FCC's and getting them applied to our cabin.  I have used the same agency for +30 years.  Sometimes we get perks and sometimes we don't.  

• Like 1

I am a "researcher" before I travel. I check a lot of websites before I settle on a cruise or vacation. In terms of cruises, I always ask my travel agent if he or she can match the lowest cruise price I find. They usually can and do. I say he or she because I use a local agency but my agents may change from trip to trip because of job changes. As to Onboard Credits or Perks, it varies from trip to trip depending on what the cruise line offers my Agent.

I always use an agent to book my cruises. I may book hotels and airfare separately/directly but link them through my agent. Hotels and airlines do not always give travel agents commissions so rather than ask my agent to work for free, I book myself.

Jim

• Like 1

I frequently hear “my TA makes all of my phone calls to RC for me and checks on reduced rates”… I’m going to need more than that. Those simple things I do myself. I also hear about long waits on the phone, 30 plus cruises and I’ve never had these long waits.

Now, if there’s an incentive to book with a TA, that’s what may make me want to do that. Otherwise, for me, I see no point. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

I frequently hear “my TA makes all of my phone calls to RC for me and checks on reduced rates”… I’m going to need more than that. Those simple things I do myself. I also hear about long waits on the phone, 30 plus cruises and I’ve never had these long waits.

Now, if there’s an incentive to book with a TA, that’s what may make me want to do that. Otherwise, for me, I see no point. 

One of the main incentives, as someone else already pointed out, you may get a refundable deposit group rate that you won’t find on your own.

Are there disadvantages - yes. You have to decide for yourself what is right for you - and it may not be the same for every cruise.

• Like 2

My TA is also my friend, and works in a brick and mortar with 2 people. 20 yrs ago when the business was larger and booming, they would give little gifts for booking. I don’t get anything from her now, but I can pretty much text her at anytime, and the hold times on line is something I would prefer not to do.

Many cruises, I just book on my own, but I will still use her for long,  unique, international bookings, that may require getting visas.

And remember, any perks you might get from a TA, usually comes out of their commission, so the larger the agency, and the more bookings they do, you are more likely to get some perks.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, PSU_Redhead said:

Have you ever encountered an issue that required you calling Royal to try to fix it? If so, then you might understand the value in a TA! They make all the calls for you and handle all the issues for you so that you don’t have to worry about a thing! Sometimes certain agents run specials, as well, that might offer you OBC or some other small perks. But at the very least, it doesn’t cost you *more* to book with a TA - so why not give someone the business? 🙂

I haven’t had this issue, but on here some people have reported there was a nice price drop but they couldn’t get in touch with their TA. They ended up not getting the it because by the time they could get in touch with their TA the price had changed back. Be careful who you pick.

Just now, crzndeb said:

My TA is also my friend, and works in a brick and mortar with 2 people. 20 yrs ago when the business was larger and booming, they would give little gifts for booking. I don’t get anything from her now, but I can pretty much text her at anytime, and the hold times on line is something I would prefer not to do.

Many cruises, I just book on my own, but I will still use her for long,  unique, international bookings, that may require getting visas.

The 2 bookings I did with the TA were for transatlantic, mainly because it’s my first Transatlantic and I’m not knowledgeable with them yet.

• Like 1

Like the store 7-11. That's the percentage I get from my travel agent in perks and cash. (Actually more at times) I try not to ask questions on his days off, but he always answers. Someone else from the agency answers when he's on vacation.

Search and interview to find a good one.

• Like 2

My travel agent is very responsive!!  I can ALWAYS reach him on his cell phone, text, email or private message.  He has helped me tremendously and I appreciate all of his hard work…..especially during these crazy post covid times!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GTO-Girl said:

My travel agent is very responsive!!  I can ALWAYS reach him on his cell phone, text, email or private message.  He has helped me tremendously and I appreciate all of his hard work…..especially during these crazy post covid times!!

Mine is the same too.  She's offered great suggestions in the past and saved me a lot of dollars.  Recently I had a cruise I looked up with RC and it was about $1900 for 2 people in a balcony; nothing fancy.  She found it to be $1300.  Also, I always have a little something extra in my room be it a bottle of wine or a room OBC.  Thanks Fran!!!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Like the store 7-11. That's the percentage I get from my travel agent in perks and cash. (Actually more at times) I try not to ask questions on his days off, but he always answers. Someone else from the agency answers when he's on vacation.

Search and interview to find a good one.

See, that’s what I’m looking for. 

From what I read on here… a lot of people get perks from their TA..if your going to use a TA why would you use one who doesn’t give some kind of a perk. Even if it’s just a welcome plate of chocolate covered strawberries…something.

Edited by rrraydon

Travel agent I use is usually cheaper because you get the booking in a group which lowers the fare. Also I Rarely pay gratuities and get a specialty restaurant for two. I am on Harmony in less than 2 weeks. No gratuities, my rate was cheaper and I booked a 3 night specialty and get a free night from them. I can call my agent anytime and have them adjust rates or do anything and they wait on hold and handle it with royal. Love it. Only book with royal when I have to because of family discounts. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

Because those perks come out of the TA’s commission.  My TA works hard and puts up with me!  I don’t need a cut of her pay.

No they don’t come out of the commission, in most cases.

TAs belong to larger travel consortiums that hold lots of group space on sailings and the OBC and perks come included in that group block, courtesy of the cruise lines. It’s an incentive to sell more that costs the individual agent nothing. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, poocher said:

Because those perks come out of the TA’s commission.  My TA works hard and puts up with me!  I don’t need a cut of her pay.

Cut into her pay? It comes with having a job in hospitality…no different than for instance Airbnb having specialty toiletries or a hotel in Italy offering free wine and a continental breakfast. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 2

Used a large agency for years before Covid. Got lots of perks. Now I hear this agency does not answer the phone and only replies to emails days later. Seems like a 'Con' to me. Looking for another agency who still provides good customer service with some perks thrown in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rrraydon said:

I have gotten group rates from my ta and those are usually a bit cheaper plus they are refundable deposits. He escalated problems twice during covid i couldn't have.

My last booking was only a tiny saving, less than usual but it is refundable .. in may 3 of 4 he moved to groups where I got extra obc. Savings vary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rrraydon said:

And certainly using a TA isn't for everyone.

We always used a TA pre-covid but once covid came around, we started going through RCL directly. Getting through to the TA became and is still impossible so making any changes, getting FCC, bookings, etc. would be a tedious process. Not to mention re-bookings! It might be the agency we were using but, for now, I'm booking directly, at least until we get beyond the covid-labor-shortage mess.

• Like 1