Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

Still lovin' this thread. It's the first thing I check every morning. 😉

Also, I'm another "GoodReader", although I'm embarrassed that I've fallen behind on my reviews lately. 🤭

I noticed the Donna Leon Commissario Brunetti books on one of the lists above. One of my very favorite series. Picked them up after our first visit to Venice. I've read them in order, and it's been fun to watch the progress of world events and especially technology. For better or worse, I'm almost caught up to the most current book. 😬

Maybe we should ask the Admins to start a stickied "Cruise Book Club" thread. 😉 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Final chic night

25B84B64-3F8C-4582-93DD-177528CA98C3.thumb.jpeg.480716084f9ace00c0d85a49494a7fa7.jpeg

9DAB1153-9DDB-46DE-95AC-AE37084FD5A5.thumb.jpeg.b61d75637756552b38e41d25c4c95b4b.jpeg

Macaroon filled with blue Cheese.  The flavors were too opposite 

268BEC40-1C5F-4198-BB73-70A763D1AC67.thumb.jpeg.43dc265fea4342b11e76e326796072fe.jpeg

Smoked Trout

98EC7402-138E-4615-864A-4E5B5D5FCA57.thumb.jpeg.9730dac82ce0c90845aaaad3c8f42d0e.jpeg

Rustic kale. 

491D28F4-87A4-4875-BCC3-3BFF14B5D212.thumb.jpeg.ec983d7f9fcbcc253997ff6f47e4ddef.jpeg

lobster

DC84D38B-34BC-44D0-860B-CCDFC5B3516A.thumb.jpeg.47895e2fc272e7ff3ec97b09d46f6d17.jpeg

CF416AA0-95D3-436C-BE8F-CFFB25F087E1.thumb.jpeg.d930ea737ea31a9f6b0e9e187d6230d6.jpeg

CF416AA0-95D3-436C-BE8F-CFFB25F087E1.thumb.jpeg.d930ea737ea31a9f6b0e9e187d6230d6.jpeg

610CA184-B637-4FAD-9A4D-D8FB6160A68A.thumb.jpeg.4fbd825ec970f52c3e3f6f1726e9d3da.jpeg

AA8621E8-0D5C-40BE-95CD-00B674407578.thumb.jpeg.9abce55d9cc77ade846b7c8e44738fdf.jpeg

B51E715B-0786-4302-B81F-F824ED0CB631.thumb.jpeg.acc8a9634cf5f641636f553d16a680d5.jpeg

28B5889B-2A28-4E8F-8042-C56773C5E5C3.thumb.jpeg.5aa77cabd9f825bccb51105c0876988f.jpeg

Mmm mmm good!  And zero calories for me.😆

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Joanie (GeorgiaPeach51) has been keeping a list on my Threads for years.  

Definitely don't mind.... actually I reached out to her.   I get so many of my books from her list.    Also a couple librarians have reached out and helped me find some great resources for free content via our local libraries.

Joanie and Jim.  My apologies! I should just mind my business! 😀 I honestly did not know of the reading list between the two of you on your longer cruises.    I thought it was a great idea and hoped Joanie would start a thread that we could discuss and enjoy.  That was my intention.  Anyway I want to give a shout out to David McCullough who passed recently on Aug 7th.  His Path Between the Seas got many of us through the Panama Canal cruise much more informed.  His book is on Joanie's list.  But he also wrote many more incredible books if you are a fan of historical fiction.  Then of course there is James A. Michener.  See- sorry it is easy to hijack your thread with this topic.  Not my intention.  Now back to the cruise!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, TeeRick said:Anyway I want to give a shout out to David McCullough who passed recently on Aug 7th.  His Path Between the Seas got many of us through the Panama Canal cruise much more informed. 

I also highly recommend Path Between the Seas if you’re going to the Panama Canal! It’s long and can be hard to get through some of the details, but well worth it! It really helped me appreciate the wonders of the Canal during our transit!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Joanie and Jim.  My apologies! I should just mind my business! 😀 I honestly did not know of the reading list between the two of you on your longer cruises.    I thought it was a great idea and hoped Joanie would start a thread that we could discuss and enjoy.  That was my intention.  Anyway I want to give a shout out to David McCullough who passed recently on Aug 7th.  His Path Between the Seas got many of us through the Panama Canal cruise much more informed.  His book is on Joanie's list.  But he also wrote many more incredible books if you are a fan of historical fiction.  Then of course there is James A. Michener.  See- sorry it is easy to hijack your thread with this topic.  Not my intention.  Now back to the cruise!

I agree David McCullough was a wonderful historian & writer.  Just to clarify one thing: his works are all NON-fiction. (I am sure it was just a slip of the keyboard 🙂)

While Path Between the Seas is lovely my favorite from McCullough has to be The Great Bridge, about  the Brooklyn Bridge.  Ofc, being born in Brooklyn might make me biased. 😉

• Like 3

For the non-fiction crowd going to Canada/New England, I recommend Cod by Mark Kurlansky. I read that on my first Canada/New England cruise and it fit the setting perfectly.

For mystery fiction set in Quebec Canada, I recommend the Gamache Series by Louise Penny. It's mostly Montreal, but book 6 goes to Quebec City and incorporates many locales into the story. Book 6 contains spoilers for previous books, so be warned if you skip (like I did, but worth it to preview Quebec City before a visit).

Edited by Orsino
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I agree David McCullough was a wonderful historian & writer.  Just to clarify one thing: his works are all NON-fiction. (I am sure it was just a slip of the keyboard 🙂)

While Path Between the Seas is lovely my favorite from McCullough has to be The Great Bridge, about  the Brooklyn Bridge.  Ofc, being born in Brooklyn might make me biased. 😉

Yes sorry for the mistake.  My bad.  I recently read McCullough's The Pioneers.  His last publication.  Found a new hardcover copy on the bargain shelf for $4.99.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I noticed the Donna Leon Commissario Brunetti books on one of the lists above. One of my very favorite series. Picked them up after our first visit to Venice. I've read them in order, and it's been fun to watch the progress of world events and especially technology. For better or worse, I'm almost caught up to the most current book. 😬

It was me who suggested it... Read every one of them in order. Visiting Venice after reading those books felt... different. Enjoy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Will be very interested to hear the results of the B2B testing.......hopefully your Retreat concierge will give you the whole scoop, as to the actual numbers on board.

So far no results. We are on a tour.  Security got an alert when we left that we were B2B but just waved us through. 

friends aboard said we wouldn’t hear anything unless we were positive. 

• Like 5

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

So far no results. We are on a tour.  Security got an alert when we left that we were B2B but just waved us through. 

No news is good news!

Where is that sunshine?!  Arrived in Reykjavik early this morning then straight to the Blue Lagoon .  Dared to fight the elements and “enjoyed” the warm waters for about an hour. Only an hour you might ask.   How about this:  gale winds, rain that felt like sleet and chilly temp if 11C!!  Only the hearty endured!

Fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow for Golden Circle and Friday’s boarding!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Not at all.  The problem of posting on celebrity as a separate thread is the admission would take it down or move.  

one I thought of today is James Paterson’s wrote a series called “When the Wind Blows”   

nothing like any of his other novels -Fantasy Fairy tale. 

25 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It was me who suggested it... Read every one of them in order. Visiting Venice after reading those books felt... different. Enjoy.

Sorry to continue the hijack ….. but, while I am not normally an audiobook lover, there is something wonderful about the Brunetti series with its many and varied accents. David Colacci is fabulous.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Did they tell to check with Eurofins for results , https://www.eurofins-eclinical.com

that was where I had check to see results , 

Of course Celebrity screwed up loggin, you where suppose use your birthday are the password , but my loggin didn’t work , finally after 4 days , I found out they are use a completely different date 🙄

I’ll be boarding on the 19th for the next three cruises. 

This is the first day I’ve visited this thread, and I’ve mostly skimmed the first and last several pages. I’ll try to catch up fully eventually. 

We are 22 days into our 58 day, four cruise trip, and have been doing a self-drive tour of amazing Iceland for the past four days. 

We came through the tunnel into Akureyri and we were happy to see this: 

B73EA055-59FE-4587-86C2-7BA78C548137.jpeg

Edited by MamaFej
I’m a doofus
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1