Permanent Cutbacks on Carnival

JT1962

The room service doorhanger rage I don't get. I really don't see any reason why you need it hanging on your door. That is a 1980s process. More paper waste, more labor waste. However, calling is also inconvenient and inefficient. This should 100% be done on the app. Either way, it doesn't impact me, I'd much rather go eat the actual food than a bread.

The late night lido hurts. I don't always get it, and it's not exactly a feast for kings. However, it was quick easy, and did the job. I really hope this doesn't involve waiting in the pizza line. That is absolutely annoying.

I always chuckle at the people that say this is the absolute last straw for them, and will go somewhere else to pay double. Meanwhile, you can order better options than what was previously available from room service for $7. I had that philly cheesesteak before, and it hit the spot. Then I have to hear the justifications why it's not about the $7.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cxr133 said:

mmmmm....... at Xcaret  i liked the Street Tacos way  better than i liked the fine dining.

and they were open later than the restaurants 

I think of after midnight as late night eating on a cruise ship.  Have been to over a dozen all inclusives in Mexico, Punta Cana and Jamaica and I can only think of one place, the Hyatt Zilara that had post midnight offerings.

If you want 24 hour sit down options, the Local/O'Sheehan's on the newer NCL builds is the answer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

The room service doorhanger rage I don't get. I really don't see any reason why you need it hanging on your door. That is a 1980s process. More paper waste, more labor waste. However, calling is also inconvenient and inefficient. This should 100% be done on the app. Either way, it doesn't impact me, I'd much rather go eat the actual food than a bread.

The late night lido hurts. I don't always get it, and it's not exactly a feast for kings. However, it was quick easy, and did the job. I really hope this doesn't involve waiting in the pizza line. That is absolutely annoying.

I always chuckle at the people that say this is the absolute last straw for them, and will go somewhere else to pay double. Meanwhile, you can order better options than what was previously available from room service for $7. I had that philly cheesesteak before, and it hit the spot. Then I have to hear the justifications why it's not about the $7.

Death by a thousand cuts.

And it's not double on other lines. Not even close.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The customer isn't always right, and frankly, some need to be fired.

If you allow me, I'll give you my honest opinion about the last Carnival cutbacks.  From my point of view, they are not as big a deal as some would like us to believe.  But they are not nothing.  In our case, the Ocean plaza not offering food anymore (not clear if this will be permanent or temporary) is sad it was one of the main reasons why we would book Havana cabins (on Vista and Excel class ships).

At the same time, traditionnally cruising has been defined by two words: "eat"and "sleep".  Whenever any cruise line has made some changes in those areas, people have been reacting quite a lot.  So people being unhappy with cutbacks in the food area was really to be expected.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Whew!  They're not good cutbacks but I was braced for worse, like "after seeing the successful rollout of discontinuing tablecloths for several years, we are now discontinuing tables. Guests will be required to bring the comforters from their cabins to serve as picnic blankets."

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

20 minutes ago, Deathloks said:

If you allow me, I'll give you my honest opinion about the last Carnival cutbacks.  From my point of view, they are not as big a deal as some would like us to believe.  But they are not nothing.  In our case, the Ocean plaza not offering food anymore (not clear if this will be permanent or temporary) is sad it was one of the main reasons why we would book Havana cabins (on Vista and Excel class ships).

At the same time, traditionnally cruising has been defined by two words: "eat"and "sleep".  Whenever any cruise line has made some changes in those areas, people have been reacting quite a lot.  So people being unhappy with cutbacks in the food area was really to be expected.

Doesn't affect me! I don't eat on a cruise at all! I am on a cruise, making the best of being on a cruise! A bad day on the ship is better than a good day at the office! Who needs to eat or sleep on a cruise? If I need to eat (and I promise I never do!) I can always eat the straws they give away at the bar! Carnival is so good to us! Thank you Carnival!

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

I think they're either hoping customers see calling their order in as too much of a hassle, or they're working to get ordering into the app. 

Personally, I'd rather eat in the buffet than my room.  No sense making more work for the room steward.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

I think they're either hoping customers see calling their order in as too much of a hassle, or they're working to get ordering into the app. 

Personally, I'd rather eat in the Windjammer than my room.  No sense making more work for the room steward.

Tough to eat at windjammer on a Carnival cruise

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Angua said:

When we were on the splendor last month we didn't have the hanging tags.  My parents ordered their morning coffee in the evenings and it always arrived promptly or even a little early.

So if I can place a call the night before and have a set time in the a.m. I'm okay with that.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, asalligo said:

Just read this article and I think this may be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. So many cutbacks over the years and I know that most people here are rabid about cruising and will not stop over these changes, but I think this is it for me. Several of my favorite activities on the ship are gone now. Sea day afternoon tea, Midnight Chocolate Buffet, Quest, a real breakfast on my balcony. A good late night meal. Just too much of the experience eroded at this point combined with an amazing experience we had this year at XCaret. 

The midnight chocolate buffet has been gone for years, and I have never known a "real breakfast" (I'm assuming you mean more than continental) to be available on Carnival.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

The midnight chocolate buffet has been gone for years, and I have never known a "real breakfast" (I'm assuming you mean more than continental) to be available on Carnival.

MDR has real breakfast unless that's another cutback.  You want filet mignon, bacon, eggs your style, a bunch of Italian and Spanish egg stuff like fritatas (sp)?  You got it plus much more.  Plus the OJ in MDR at breakfast is surprisingly very, very good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

The lack of paper door hangers for breakfast orders is the worst for me. Everyone keeps saying that the article says you can still call the night before to set up your order, but all I found was "While room service offerings will not change, guests must now call room service to place their orders." If I have to call when I wake up and then wait an hour plus (if they even answer the phone) for coffee and whatnot, I'm going to be super unhappy. Coffee in my PJs and robe on my balcony is how I start every day on cruises. If I missed something in the article, please point me to it!

last cruise I called the day before and requested bfast at 7am.  It arrived at 6:45am.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

The Midnight Chocolate buffet was replaced by midday chocolate extravaganza years ago.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

MDR has real breakfast unless that's another cutback.  You want filet mignon, bacon, eggs your style, a bunch of Italian and Spanish egg stuff like fritatas (sp)?  You got it plus much more.  Plus the OJ in MDR at breakfast is surprisingly very, very good.

Since March, the filet mignon that was served with the steak and eggs at brunch was replaced with the same nasty, tough strip loin served on the every night section of the MDR menu. Poor decision by Carnival.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mz-s said:

Carnival hasn't been profitable for going on 3 years...

Uhmmmm.... you mean like the 3 years when they like all other cruise lines were shut down 3 years or previous to that 3 years?? Cause kinda hard to be profitable when your closed.  Just sayin....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

Uhmmmm.... you mean like the 3 years when they like all other cruise lines were shut down 3 years or previous to that 3 years?? Cause kinda hard to be profitable when your closed.  Just sayin....

Yes, those 3 years. They told us they'd be profitable 6 months ago, still not profitable, maybe these cutbacks will move the needle enough. If not then prepare for more.

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Yes, those 3 years. They told us they'd be profitable 6 months ago, still not profitable, maybe these cutbacks will move the needle enough. If not then prepare for more.

The job they have done thru the pandemic to manage not going out of business is nothing short of amazing, despite attempts to minimize it.  Went from a bleed rate of 1.5 BILLION a MONTH to 568 MILLION a month before the start up.  Amazing job. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

There are so many upset about these changes. How many plan to cancel their next cruise due to the changes?

Which changes are the ones that people would cancel a cruise for?  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

There are so many upset about these changes. How many plan to cancel their next cruise due to the changes?

For the first time since COVID I don't have a Carnival cruise booked, and I have no immediate plans to book another. I'm waiting for Carnival to bring their standard of service back up to where it was before COVID.

• Like 1