Permanent Cutbacks on Carnival

JT1962

I love the idea of a steakhouse brunch! I personally won't use it but  for those looking for a little more "class"  or an upscale feel on their cruise it could be a great thing. If Carnival would make $10 or $15 on each meal, it got popular enough to be available 2 or 3 times a cruise, multipled by the number of people partaking in each ship, times the total ammount of sailings each week, it could add a sizable bit of revenue to help payoff the debt Carnival is carrying now.

I know, just a "drop in the bucket," but every  bucket is filled with  [a multitude] of drops anyway. Gotta start somewhere. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, HakunaMatada said:

Wait, I never knew there was late night snacks. Been on 13 or 14 cruises and never noticed, where was this?

And I'm with the others, the pizza is not for my taste buds, but I see lots of kids running around with it and ice cream.

The 'Late Night Eats' were in one section of the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

I never thought much of what was offered, but I suppose if you are drunk enough...

I avoid buffets whenever I can (have personally seen too many people doing too many disgusting things at them).  Just reporting the fact of its former location.

• Like 5

On 8/9/2022 at 6:25 PM, darinb1345 said:

We are taking our first cruise with Carnival in October.  I have to say my excitement is decreasing.  We're not "fancy" by any means but do like a bit of pampering.  I am trying to keep an open mind but hadn't considered needing to pack Tupperware for snacks....🤪

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HakunaMatada said:

Wait, I never knew there was late night snacks. Been on 13 or 14 cruises and never noticed, where was this?

And I'm with the others, the pizza is not for my taste buds, but I see lots of kids running around with it and ice cream.

Six Carnival cruises since 2017 and I don't recall ever seeing this either.  Not saying it wasn't there but usually snacks are the kind of thing I make it my business to know about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2022 at 8:47 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

The article says that tea time is on hiatus.  I thought it was still operating on cruises longer than 5 days.  Am I wrong?

Afternoon Tea was available last week on Carnival Legend.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:37 PM, ShakyBeef said:

I avoid buffets whenever I can (have personally seen too many people doing too many disgusting things at them).  Just reporting the fact of its former location.

While you aren't wrong, most people would also be disgusted if they saw what happened at many restaurants. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

While you aren't wrong, most people would also be disgusted if they saw what happened at many restaurants. 

While you are also likely not wrong, no need for me to compound the chances for disgusting things happening to my food by getting it from a buffet.

• Like 1

Currently on Paradise, tea time was advertised on the PA by the CD, and bar venues SEEM to be appropriately staffed. We haven't really had to wait.

FWIW... booked this cruise for sh!ts and giggles to try a fantasy class, and really enjoy it. Obviously doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer ships, but it seems to be in excellent condition, especially given its age. DW and I booked a midship balcony on the main deck, and have ice cold air, good plumbing, and an excellent steward. We would do a B2B (10 days) on her. 

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, ninjacat123 said:

I have not brought Tupperware, but I have brought my Carnival tumblers to keep my drinks cold while sunning on Serenity.  

Over 40 cruises here and have never seen containers on any cruise, on any cruise line. In assuming they would be for taking food from the buffet?

I *have* seen the covered plates from the MDR and speciality restaurants, usually used for a cheese plate (or desert) to take back to the cabin. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

Over 40 cruises here and have never seen containers on any cruise, on any cruise line. In assuming they would be for taking food from the buffet?

I *have* seen the covered plates from the MDR and speciality restaurants, usually used for a cheese plate (or desert) to take back to the cabin. 

Back before Guy's, when it was "On the Grill" on Lido - my MIL would bring a ziploc to save a few strips of bacon in from the breakfast buffet for her lunch burger.

Of course now that we are in a bacon crisis I don't know what she does. I guess she asks Possum for a pig patty burger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Back before Guy's, when it was "On the Grill" on Lido - my MIL would bring a ziploc to save a few strips of bacon in from the breakfast buffet for her lunch burger.

Of course now that we are in a bacon crisis I don't know what she does. I guess she asks Possum for a pig patty burger.

Perhaps we have identified a root cause of the need for bacon servers.

• Like 2

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps we have identified a root cause of the need for bacon servers.

One look at my MIL and you'd know she's never wasted a bite of food in her life! She eats all she takes and then some...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Will miss the offerings at Ocean Plaza as well as late night eats =( 
The +Plus options at the pizza place were offered pre-pandemic. We enjoyed them on several of our cruises. I believe those were all Dream class ships, so maybe it depended on the ship. They had salads, lasagna and meatball subs after 11pm. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 12:48 PM, UPNYGuy said:

People were basically saying, since there is not a lot of late night food, you could bring tupperware and fix a plate for later. And others were saying they should not have to do that on a cruise, food should be available at all times. 

In other news, good for you trying out an old banged up Fantasy class ship before the last of 'em head off on their inevitable final journeys.  I wonder if people will talk like that about Excel class one day and RCI Oasis class, among others. I suppose it must always end that way, with people laughing about the old barnacle barge outliving its useful days.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

People were basically saying, since there is not a lot of late night food, you could bring tupperware and fix a plate for later. And others were saying they should not have to do that on a cruise, food should be available at all times. 

In other news, good for you trying out an old banged up Fantasy class ship before the last of 'em head off on their inevitable final journeys.  I wonder if people will talk like that about Excel class one day and RCI Oasis class, among others. I suppose it must always end that way, with people laughing about the old barnacle barge outliving its useful days.

Like remember when faxes were "so new" and then everyone had one.  Where are they now?  I thought getting a fax was like receiving telegram.  Progress, I guess.

• Haha 3

I will miss the Fantasy class vessels. Gaudy? Yes. But never seemed overcrowded and I don't need roller coasters. Newer Carnival ships are bigger, but have less ship to passenger space and seemed way too crowded when I sailed on them pre-pandemic. I'll be looking to Spirit class ships now, I guess. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

I will miss the Fantasy class vessels. Gaudy? Yes. But never seemed overcrowded and I don't need roller coasters. Newer Carnival ships are bigger, but have less ship to passenger space and seemed way too crowded when I sailed on them pre-pandemic. I'll be looking to Spirit class ships now, I guess. 

Good choice!  If you're looking for the best passenger-to-space ratio in the Carnival fleet, Spirit class is the way to go.  When they retire the Spirit class or "Sunshine-ize" them, I'm done sailing Carnival.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

It's funny because it really doesn't look all that beat on. The only issue (minor) is that the balcony door has to be shut with gusto. I snapped this quickly, but there is minimal rust, and the cabin looks modern. They even added USB ports by the bedside, and on the desk. 20220823_083121.thumb.jpg.e51b7dfc302e0d2506b984f282d05031.jpg20220822_154919.thumb.jpg.187930b074e4b993073193431c4415e6.jpg

20220822_154954.thumb.jpg.c84fff6f457c8384e9e352ea5ddb49bf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1