Alaska in May

Hizzle320

We are planning a family cruise on May 2023. We will be celebrating my aunt and uncles 50th wedding Anniversary. There will be 15-20 of us going. Several of us have already been to Alaska on Princess cruise line twice. We loved Princess but thought maybe we should try a different line. We were originally planning on trying RCL Quantum of the Seas this time around. But I noticed the reviews were not the greatest for Quantum. So I told the group maybe we should choose a different line. If Princess is the best maybe we should stick with it. So my question is to all the cruisers here is which cruise line/ship is the best to do for Alaska in May? 

Who knows what best is for your group?  You're smart to read the reviews.  We did Alaska with HAL out of Seattle and liked the ship just fine.  But we're easy to please.  I keep hearing that NCL has terrific evening entertainment.   But ... if you like Princess, why change? 

Oof.  What's best is like asking our favorite color.  May is a great time to cruise to AK because it's typically a dry month.  As for the line, the best line to AK is the line you like best.  If that's Princess, then stick with Princess.  

I've cruised several lines to AK and so far, my favorite AK cruise was Celebrity Millennium.  

By the way, I cruised this past May to AK on Quantum of the Seas.  It was a great cruise.  There were some atypical hiccups due to being short some staff, but I do not anticipate those issues lasting in to the 2023 AK season.  Don't put too much weight into recent post-COVID reviews.  Lots of lines are still trying to regain their sea legs.  

• Like 2

Yeah I know a lot of the hiccups will be taken care of over the next year. It’s just with Covid and staffing issues and not having cruises for awhile it’s a process to get back to it. But some of the reviews of quantum were more cosmetic and cleanliness issues. I know staff and food quality and supply issues will work themselves out. 

There is no one best cruise line for everyone, particularly when you have 15 or 20 people in a group. Or for sailing any location. If there was, everyone would sail that line, and the other lines would go out of business, or at least stop sailing a given area.

Given that Holland America and Princess typically (Pre Covid, but probably still) have the most ships sailing Alaska, and have been sailing Alaska the longest, does that make them the best? The best for you?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Unfortunately, with such a large group, some of whom have already been to Alaska, there is no easy answer to, what is the best ship and cruise line.

I suggest it takes brainstorming to determine the group's preferences and then research to determine what ship and itinerary meets most of those preferences. I have included a link to the Alaska Board on Cruise Critic, where you will find many topics. May I suggest your group reads through the topics on this Board to assist in developing preferences. I will also suggest that Alaska is all about the scenery, so the itinerary and especially time in ports is way more important that entertainment and facilities aboard the ship.

Another question - do you only wish to see the touristy SE Alaska, or do you also wish to experience the pristine Prince William Sound?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

17 hours ago, Aquahound said:

May is a great time to cruise to AK because it's typically a dry month. 

To be fair, May is dry “for Alaska.” It’s still a rainforest. Pack accordingly. But, yeah, May is a wonderful time for Alaska. 

We sailed with 40 a few years back,  toddlers to 80+.  We chose Princess because it was offering affordable options and we were trying to satisfy a wide range of budgets and ages.  I can’t say anyone was really all that pleased with the sailing.  It was just OK.  

if I were going to Alaska with a group, particularly if there are children I would consider RCL and some of the other lines. If they are all adults I think HAL would be a fine choice 

Do you want to visit (cruise in) Glacier Bay?  Most Princess 7-day cruises go to GB.  HAL has the 2nd most GB permits.

If the kids are expecting RCL water slides, etc., they'll probably disappointed -- too cool in Alaska.

Which ships have Kids' Clubs w/evening hours?  Hopefully, the kids & adults will be busy seeing the beauty of outdoor Alaska in the daytime.

Please don't expect/plan to do all activities TOGETHER every time, every day!  15-20 people trying to move as one won't fit many places!  

There is a PAGE on Cruise Critic devoted to Family Cruises.

The first of my 5 cruises to Alaska was 40 years ago with my small family.

ENJOY! 

21 hours ago, Hizzle320 said:

We are planning a family cruise on May 2023. We will be celebrating my aunt and uncles 50th wedding Anniversary. There will be 15-20 of us going. Several of us have already been to Alaska on Princess cruise line twice. We loved Princess but thought maybe we should try a different line. We were originally planning on trying RCL Quantum of the Seas this time around. But I noticed the reviews were not the greatest for Quantum. So I told the group maybe we should choose a different line. If Princess is the best maybe we should stick with it. So my question is to all the cruisers here is which cruise line/ship is the best to do for Alaska in May? 

We did a May cruise on HAL.It was the best cruise ever.It was actually a 7 day tour by train and bus followed by a 7 day cruise.