And the award for most organized cabin goes to…..

Hi!  I’m leaving in a week and am one of those weirdos who loves to organize things…especially in small spaces like cabins.  Please post pics or ideas of how you’ve organized your cabin, any tricks you’ve learned, special organization tools that seem to work best for you, etc.  Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pack the jackets, dresses, trousers, etc. on hangers; hang them up as soon as I unpack.

Pack undies, jerseys, etc. in separate clear square zip bags; put them in drawers as soon as I unpack.

Leave things I hardly use, like swimsuits, in the suitcase; put it under the bed.

Done; minimalist clutter visible, just the way I like it.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Easier when not sharing the space😉

Not for us.  We share and our cabin is always neat and organized.  Key is to actually use the storage and have a place for everything.  I've walked by so many cabins that just amaze me.  Clothes scattered everywhere.  Luggage open on the floor, etc.    Of course, we would never not share.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BND said:

Not for us.  We share and our cabin is always neat and organized.  Key is to actually use the storage and have a place for everything.  I've walked by so many cabins that just amaze me.  Clothes scattered everywhere.  Luggage open on the floor, etc.    Of course, we would never not share.

I totally agree with this.

• Like 2

I can’t stand a messy cabin space.  Our room steward is supposed to clean the room not try to work around my crap!  Everything gets put away as soon as room/luggage is available.  Then each day, stuff is put back in its spot.  Pop up hamper for dirty clothes, suitcases under the bed, bathroom stuff in drawers or cabinets (please don’t make the steward work around/have to touch your toiletries).  

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, BND said:

274 nights in a 160 sqft cabin🤔

And they have connecting cabins if you really can't be apart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, BND said:

Ours is also.  I unpack as soon as I have our luggage, suitcases under the bed.  Everything has a place.  Every morning before we leave I tidy up the vanity so that everything is organized again.  Cannot stand a messy cabin.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Ours is also.  I unpack as soon as I have our luggage, suitcases under the bed.  Everything has a place.  Every morning before we leave I tidy up the vanity so that everything is organized again.  Cannot stand a messy cabin.

Yep, vanity/desk area is kept neat.  Makeup/hair dryer/brushes all go in a drawer.  Steward has to move almost nothing to clean.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

274 nights in a 160 sqft cabin🤔

And they have connecting cabins if you really can't be apart

Not that we can't be apart, we don't choose to be.  41 years married and perfectly happy to share a JS.  Having been a US Naval Officer's wife, I've had my fair share of apart time early in our marriage (months at a time) and his work travel and reserve active duty time (up to two weeks).  

When we leave our cabin to go to breakfast or into port, there's invariably cabins  being cleaned so doors are opened.  The amount of stuff people have spread out everywhere is wild and completely unfair to the steward.  We're the same way in hotels.  Heck, we're that way at home too.  You will never find clothing strewn around anywhere in our house, especially after our boys grew out of their HS and college years and moved out.

Edited by BND
  • Like 7

I commented to the DH last week that our cabin is probably the easiest to clean that the steward has.  (We still left an extra tip.)

Everything has its place and pretty much each cruise it’s the same so the DH can find things.  It takes me maybe 5 minutes in the evening before dinner and less then that in the a.m. to pick up.  

We use hanging shoe holders in the closet from the bar to tame the shoe clutter.  Packing cubes in the drawers or on the shelves.  Pop up hamper.

I take clear zip bags I found on Amazon for all the extra stuff. Zip locks would work too.  
One for first aid, OTC meds

One for masks, wipes and sanitizer during covid.

One for the pool with towel clips, pen, small puzzle book, more sanitizer.

One for excursions with more towel clips, sanitizer, disposable rain ponchos, waterproof holder we use for money, sea pass cards and our IDs.

One for cabin stuff like tiny eyeglass repair kit, tiny dishwashing soap, tiny lint brush, tiny sewing kit, shout wipes.

For more then 2 weeks trips, another with laundry soap, line and clips.

I keep everything restocked so repacking is quick and easy.

My favorite is my $1 foldable boxes ( found on Amazon for more or if you want them thicker).  One goes on the vanity to tame all the clutter.  Seapass cards, sunglasses, random stuff etc gets thrown in there.  One goes under the sink for my extra toiletries.  In a bigger cabin I use one in a drawer for make up.  I found the perfect size ones for the bigger ships on Amazon to fit in those open bedside table for books, etc. 

I also take a letter size plastic envelope and put all paper clutter I want to keep in there.  I use magnets on the walls for hats, compass, excursion tickets, etc.  

Sounds like a lot but it all stays in a tote box at home.  Packing is not as much of a chore anymore and packing up on the ship is faster too.  Everything I use is light weight.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BND said:

Yep, vanity/desk area is kept neat.  Makeup/hair dryer/brushes all go in a drawer.  Steward has to move almost nothing to clean.

Yup, that is how I am.  All my toiletries are in the right vanity cabinets, blow dryer in the drawer.    I cannot stand clutter!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BND said:

Not that we can't be apart, we don't choose to be.  41 years married and perfectly happy to share a JS.  Having been a US Naval Officer's wife, I've had my fair share of apart time early in our marriage (months at a time) and his work travel and reserve active duty time (up to two weeks).  

When we leave our cabin to go to breakfast or into port, there's invariably cabins  being cleaned so doors are opened.  The amount of stuff people have spread out everywhere is wild and completely unfair to the steward.  We're the same way in hotels.  Heck, we're that way at home too.  You will never find clothing strewn around anywhere in our house, especially after our boys grew out of their HS and college years and moved out.

But that's not the point.

My point is with only one body in the cabin, it is factually easier to organize and stow your belongings. That's a fact. No way around it. Only so many drawers and closet space. Less people have less requirements for the limited storage available.

But go ahead and prove me wrong😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BND said:

41 years and I’m hoping not to throw him overboard on our next cruise.  Retirement togetherness is not all it’s cracked up to be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Our cabin has nothing in the way of the attendant when they come in to clean up.

Everything put away including bathroom toiletries . 

I like to peer into cabins when the door is open, some look like crime scenes ,

All thats missing is the body😆 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

6 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Some tips here:

Could you give us the Cliffs Notes version? I'm spending my time trying to figure out how my wife is going to get all the clothes in her closet in one suitcase.

23 minutes ago, poocher said:

41 years and I’m hoping not to throw him overboard on our next cruise.  Retirement togetherness is not all it’s cracked up to be.

I'm retired.  He will be in just over a year.  But... three years ago when I got hurt (dislocated kneecap, ankle and fractured fibula, he stayed home with me for 7 weeks because I needed the help.  We did fine other than a couple of snaps at each other when we were frustrated.  I needed help with meals, dr's appointments, PT as I couldn't drive for about 6.5 weeks as I was in a boot.  It was my left leg, but I couldn't get the boot under the console in my SUV because my knee bend wasn't great.  Once I got into an ankle brace, I was able to drive and get myself to PT and appointments.  We learned a lot and one of them was that we have to be there for each other.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

But that's not the point.

My point is with only one body in the cabin, it is factually easier to organize and stow your belongings. That's a fact. No way around it. Only so many drawers and closet space. Less people have less requirements for the limited storage available.

But go ahead and prove me wrong😉

We've always had plenty of storage.  We work together.

11 minutes ago, footzz said:

Could you give us the Cliffs Notes version? I'm spending my time trying to figure out how my wife is going to get all the clothes in her closet in one suitcase.

Here are the chapters:

Remove items from cabin
Unpacking & organizing
Get packing cubes in different colors
Small storage spaces, nooks & crannies
Magnet hooks
Over the door organizer
Magnet clips
Dealing with no natural light
Ask cabin steward to close Pullman beds
Turn your desk into a vanity
Poo-pourri
Non-surge protected power bar
Folding storage box
Store valuable in the safe
Motion sensor nightlight
Pop up hamper

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, footzz said:

Leave at least half of it home!  When she isn’t looking, put it all back in the closet.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Here are the chapters:

Remove items from cabin
Unpacking & organizing
Get packing cubes in different colors
Small storage spaces, nooks & crannies
Magnet hooks
Over the door organizer
Magnet clips
Dealing with no natural light
Ask cabin steward to close Pullman beds
Turn your desk into a vanity
Poo-pourri
Non-surge protected power bar
Folding storage box
Store valuable in the safe
Motion sensor nightlight
Pop up hamper

Thank you, I was actually kidding, but for cripes sake, I though I was OCD!

• Like 1