Rhapsody oversold - 8/25/2022

Biker19

In a unique situation, one Royal Caribbean International cruise has been oversold, and the cruise line is offering very tempting incentives to encourage booked guests to switch their reservations to another sailing.

The impacted cruise is the upcoming August 25, 2022 sailing of Rhapsody of the Seas, a 7-night roundtrip Greek Isles cruise departing from Haifa, Israel.

Inventory Error Leads to Oversold Cruise

An email sent to booked guests on the impacted sailing date announced the unusual situation.

“We’re sorry to inform you that due to an unexpected inventory error, the scheduled Rhapsody of the Seas Sailing on 25 August, 2022 is currently oversold,” the email read.

No details are given as to the cause of the inventory error, but it could be a simple technical glitch in the cruise line’s booking engine that permitted extra reservations to be made. It is also possible that if Rhapsody of the Seas is currently sailing with capacity limits due to local regulations, extra reservations may have inadvertently been confirmed.

Rhapsody of the Seas is a Vision-class ship, with a guest capacity of 1,998 guests at double occupancy, and as many as 2,416 passengers when all berths are filled.

Compensation Offered

To entice booked guests to switch their reservation to a different sailing, which would correct the oversold error, Royal Caribbean is offering huge incentives.

“We’re aware that this may cause disruption to your booking, so if your travel plans are flexible, you may be able to take advantage of our special offer,” the email explains.

First, guests who accept the offer will receive a 100% refund of their original cruise fare. Plus, they will be rebooked on an alternative sailing, selecting from several 2022 and 2023 sailings, all aboard Rhapsody of the Seas and all still departing from Haifa.

The alternative sailings include:

• 8-night Greek Isles cruise, September 1, 2022
  • 6-night Greek Isles cruise, October 13, 2022
  • 7-night Greek Isles cruise, September 1 or September 8, 2023
  • 5-night Greek Isles cruise, September 22 or 29, 2023; October 13, 18, or 27, 2023; November 1, 2023
  • 4-night Greece and Cyprus cruise, October 23, 2023
  •  

The alternative 7-night itineraries offered in September 2023 are the same itinerary as the oversold cruise, calling on Limassol, Cyprus; as well as four different ports in Greece: Rhodes Island, Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos.

If guests choose an alternative sailing, their booking will be transferred in the same stateroom category as they had chosen for the original, now oversold cruise. There will be no transfer fees and no change in cruise fare. Guests who choose one of these alternate bookings will still receive the 100% refund of their original cruise fare.

Guests will be responsible for any additional charges for port fees, taxes, and gratuities, as well as onboard purchases.

If guests are not interested in an alternative sailing, it is possible that bonus future cruise credits may be offered as further enticement to correct the oversold situation. Those credits, then, could be used on any future cruise, not just on selected sailings or a designated vessel.

Oversold Royal Caribbean Cruise Offering Massive Incentives (cruisehive.com)

Biker, who is surprised no CC poster got caught up in this and reported it.

• Like 2

I'd like to move my liberty from sept to October. I wish I could push later. Everything is sold on mine except insides and ovs. I realized last sept that sept is just too hot, but I was already booked lol.

I'd take a offer to wait even a week or two.

Too bad the cost of new airfare or a hotel for an extra week probably costs more than the cruise (unless someone's in a more expensive suite). 

Makes me reminiscent of the days when airlines would overbook and offer huge credits to give up your seat. I used to love being able to do that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I guess I just haven't been lucky enough to have it happen on one of my flights. I've been on a lot of full flights, but none where they were asking for volunteers. And I fly a LOT!

I've been on a bunch, but rarely in a position to take advantage of it. Though in June heading to Vancouver for Serenade, we took advantage of it by getting on a direct flight to Vancouver instead of having to connect in LAX

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

In a unique situation, one Royal Caribbean International cruise has been oversold, and the cruise line is offering very tempting incentives to encourage booked guests to switch their reservations to another sailing.

The impacted cruise is the upcoming August 25, 2022 sailing of Rhapsody of the Seas, a 7-night roundtrip Greek Isles cruise departing from Haifa, Israel.

An email sent to booked guests on the impacted sailing date announced the unusual situation.

“We’re sorry to inform you that due to an unexpected inventory error, the scheduled Rhapsody of the Seas Sailing on 25 August, 2022 is currently oversold,” the email read.

No details are given as to the cause of the inventory error, but it could be a simple technical glitch in the cruise line’s booking engine that permitted extra reservations to be made. It is also possible that if Rhapsody of the Seas is currently sailing with capacity limits due to local regulations, extra reservations may have inadvertently been confirmed.

Rhapsody of the Seas is a Vision-class ship, with a guest capacity of 1,998 guests at double occupancy, and as many as 2,416 passengers when all berths are filled.

Compensation Offered

To entice booked guests to switch their reservation to a different sailing, which would correct the oversold error, Royal Caribbean is offering huge incentives.

“We’re aware that this may cause disruption to your booking, so if your travel plans are flexible, you may be able to take advantage of our special offer,” the email explains.

First, guests who accept the offer will receive a 100% refund of their original cruise fare. Plus, they will be rebooked on an alternative sailing, selecting from several 2022 and 2023 sailings, all aboard Rhapsody of the Seas and all still departing from Haifa.

• 5-night Greek Isles cruise, September 22 or 29, 2023; October 13, 18, or 27, 2023; November 1, 2023
  •  

The alternative 7-night itineraries offered in September 2023 are the same itinerary as the oversold cruise, calling on Limassol, Cyprus; as well as four different ports in Greece: Rhodes Island, Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos.

If guests choose an alternative sailing, their booking will be transferred in the same stateroom category as they had chosen for the original, now oversold cruise. There will be no transfer fees and no change in cruise fare. Guests who choose one of these alternate bookings will still receive the 100% refund of their original cruise fare.

Guests will be responsible for any additional charges for port fees, taxes, and gratuities, as well as onboard purchases.

If guests are not interested in an alternative sailing, it is possible that bonus future cruise credits may be offered as further enticement to correct the oversold situation. Those credits, then, could be used on any future cruise, not just on selected sailings or a designated vessel.

Yeah been a while. Don't think I've seen Oversold thread since before CV started. Cabin bumping little more common

Edited by ONECRUISER

13 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I've been on a lot of full flights, but none where they were asking for volunteers. And I fly a LOT!

Have you flown in the last few months? I have gotten an offer on most international  flights since May, though it seems to be routine even when the flight might not be full. 

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Have you flown in the last few months? I have gotten an offer on most international  flights since May, though it seems to be routine even when the flight might not be full. 

I've flown twice this week, but not internationally. I have an international flight in September, so we'll see what happens with that one. I'll be in Europe for several weeks so I'd be totally up for volunteering my seat and delaying my trip a day.

I guess you guys are right that it would make sense that this is happening more now than in the past, since there's a shortage of flights etc. I just haven't heard that announcement made on any of my flights in a long time so I was thinking it didn't happen anymore. And of course if it doesn't apply to my personal experience it must not exist 😂.  🏳

11 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I'll be in Europe for several weeks so I'd be totally up for volunteering my seat and delaying my trip a day.

Most of mine have come via a reverse bid - you bid how much compensation you want and are also provided alternate flights.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Compensation Offered

•  

What's the big incentive.  They are refunding your monies paid for the original, oversold cruise and price protecting if you rebook a later cruise.  So what's the big incentive?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

So what's the big incentive?

From the article:

Not sure the details of those bumped but I assume if you do nothing you get only the refund and not the free cruise.

Edited by Biker19

45 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

How many Israelis are active on CC, beside yours truly?

Now that I think of it, there could be very few who actually got bumped combined with the demographics it makes sense we didn't hear about it from any customers.

• Like 1

Move Over offers are great!  I have never received a move over offer but I have received a move down offer when Princess sold too many balconies. We received all of our money back in the form of refundable onboard credit and moved into an interior cabin.  I wish that would happen again.

2 hours ago, moposh said:

a FREE cruise.

"If guests choose an alternative sailing, their booking will be transferred in the same stateroom category as they had chosen for the original, now oversold cruise. There will be no transfer fees and no change in cruise fare. Guests who choose one of these alternate bookings will still receive the 100% refund of their original cruise fare"

If it's a free cruise, why does it say there's no change in cruise fare? That sounds like the new selection is merely price protected. 

Edited by jerseygirl3
  • Thanks 1

Another Israeli regular on Cruise Critic here.

The September 9th cruise is also overbooked, and I know several people who've received the same offer.

The native language of most Israelis is Hebrew, so they tend to use websites in that language.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

"If guests choose an alternative sailing, their booking will be transferred in the same stateroom category as they had chosen for the original, now oversold cruise. There will be no transfer fees and no change in cruise fare. Guests who choose one of these alternate bookings will still receive the 100% refund of their original cruise fare"

If it's a free cruise, why does it say there's no change in cruise fare? That sounds like the new selection is merely price protected. 

It’s quite possible that the new cruise may be more expensive. They want people to know that they will be getting 100% refund of their original cruise fair. It is a free cruise. I’ve had it happen once as a move down.  I wish that would happen to me again!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

The new cruise is price-protected, PLUS YOU GET A FULL REFUND FOR THE ORIGINAL CRUISE!

If the cruise is $2000, they'll protect your price to go on a different cruise, and they'll give you $2000 back. 

You spent no money (paid $2000, got $2000 refunded), and you also went on a later cruise without paying anything more. 

THAT'S A FREE CRUISE!

• Like 3

Since most passengers are locals the bookings are handled through the local agent of RCL in Israel, SUNORAMA which is probably the worst agent there is, hence no suprise that this happened. I really hope RCL will finally get rid of them.