Tipping at end

Scotico

You can do a cash account and pay it before you leave.  They have daily limits.  You could also likely put stuff on your card and then pay it down with cash before you leave.  

That would essentially be tipping out in cash.

…and no controversy about how you are handling the tips!

4 minutes ago, TexasRon said:

You can do a cash account and pay it before you leave.  They have daily limits.  You could also likely put stuff on your card and then pay it down with cash before you leave.  

That would essentially be tipping out in cash.

…and no controversy about how you are handling the tips!

I know some people on here get bent out of shape when mentioning tipping out in cash.  Typically we just close out the account the night before we leave by going to the desk and paying cash.  In the past when we have done this, the next morning there is several hundred $$ in tips added that we could have just handled in giving enveloped with cash.  It's been a while since we have cruised but remember having to go to the desk to have the tips removed from the account so you can tip cash.

We used to remove auto gratuities and tip at the end. But with the hassle of dealing with guest services and not really remembering everyone who served us and deserved a tip at the end we just leave the auto gratuities on now. I am not positive how it is split among those that deserve it. But it just makes our experience better in the end. 

You could also prepay the gratuities and cash tip those who you want to tip.  That way you could close out your cash account before it is a zoo at the desk and also leave with a $0 bill when you leave the ship.

I forgot to prepay on our last cruise.  It cost the same, of course, but I like it better when those charges are already gone before we sail.

Edited by TexasRon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scotico said:

I know some people on here get bent out of shape when mentioning tipping out in cash.  Typically we just close out the account the night before we leave by going to the desk and paying cash.  In the past when we have done this, the next morning there is several hundred $$ in tips added that we could have just handled in giving enveloped with cash.  It's been a while since we have cruised but remember having to go to the desk to have the tips removed from the account so you can tip cash.

It's obviously been a VERY VERY VERY long time since you cruised, because the tips get added daily, not in a lump sum the morning of debarkation.  Been that way since I started cruising with Royal almost a decade ago.

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

It's obviously been a VERY VERY VERY long time since you cruised, because the tips get added daily, not in a lump sum the morning of debarkation.  Been that way since I started cruising with Royal almost a decade ago.

It’s been that long since I cruised. Having kids sort of squashes any cruising fir a while. Kids are finally old enough to cruise (will be in camps)

5 hours ago, Scotico said:

Do you think it's inappropriate to tip only cash at the end instead on putting on cruise account?  I prefer to just tip out cash at end so nothing is on my card.

Really your choice.  We do the daily charges and then tip extra to our cabin attendant and wait staff.  The daily tips are shared by many throughout the ship, so we opt to leave them in place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scotico said:

Do you think it's inappropriate to tip only cash at the end instead on putting on cruise account?  I prefer to just tip out cash at end so nothing is on my card.

We always prepay our tips, but then tip cash to individual staff as we want at the end of the cruise.  I would never not do the prepay tips as they deserve it, just always pay extra.  we tip cash during the cruise to bar servers, WJ breakfast, etc and then tip dining room and cabin person extra cash at the end of the cruise.

• Like 3

We do, when not sailing Star Class, the automatic payment while on board and we tip more at the end of the cruise.  We also tip at all venues that provide a server or we ask for something special from any crew member.  I do me and I let others do them.  I don't care how others tip and they shouldn't care how I tip.  

However, I do fault those that try their best to find reasons not to tip.  This is not intended towards you @SCOTIA.  

• Like 2

Or you could prepay your tips before you go.....

• Like 1

Just be aware that when auto tips are removed the MDR wait staff and cabin stewards are required to turn that cash over and into the tip pool.  Then the cash is evenly distributed to all those you left out. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Just be aware that when auto tips are removed the MDR wait staff and cabin stewards are required to turn that cash over and into the tip pool.  Then the cash is evenly distributed to all those you left out. 

Given the hot debate over a previous thread on the subject, sounds like the head waiter gets paid no matter what. 🤣

• Haha 1

Dear Guest,

We are excited to welcome you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean sailing!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily gratuity charges. As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic daily gratuity charge will increase from $14.50 to $16.00 per guest, per day for non-suite staterooms and from $17.50 to $18.50 per guest, per day for suites. The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants, and other hotel services teams.

If you’d like to pre-pray your gratuities at the current rate before your sailing, we’re happy to extend this opportunity to you. If you’d prefer to pay onboard, your gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate.

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sure, the tipped staff are a great source of reliable information on the tipping process.

I'm 100% sure you could count on reliable information from the tipped staff. That is, if you asked them if they would like more tips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Dear Guest,

We are excited to welcome you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean sailing!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily gratuity charges. As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic daily gratuity charge will increase from $14.50 to $16.00 per guest, per day for non-suite staterooms and from $17.50 to $18.50 per guest, per day for suites. The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants, and other hotel services teams.

If you’d like to pre-pray your gratuities at the current rate before your sailing, we’re happy to extend this opportunity to you. If you’d prefer to pay onboard, your gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate.

I wonder if all those on the "other" thread that are prepaying to save $1.50 still give extra cash to people.  I wouldn't think so if saying a buck and a half a day is that important  Just sayin😇