Hot Tub Chemicals

Not worth risking jumping in based in info anyone orders here. Heck, they may use bromine on one ship and chlorine on another. Special needs would be a good stating point, but a stop at guest services to have them get a confirmed answer from the maintenance crew would be wise as well. Ask about the main pools as well because the same chemicals could be used ther as well.

43 minutes ago, JoTerricruise said:

Odd question, but my wife is allergic to bromine...anyone know what chemicals RC uses in their hot tubs? 

Very few, if any, ships use bromine, as using chlorine allows the same chemical to be used in pool, potable water, and sanitizing solutions.  Typically, pool/hot tub chemicals are chlorine and hydrochloric acid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

It sure smells like and acts like chlorine.  Swimsuits get bleached quickly.  All except the butt...because you are sitting.

I agree!!! I have an expensive year old bleached out swimsuit to prove it!!!😂😂

3 hours ago, JoTerricruise said:

Odd question, but my wife is allergic to bromine...anyone know what chemicals RC uses in their hot tubs? 

I would be more concerned about lots of other things in that water, judging from many of the people sitting in there daily. (Picking their toes and their nose. Not to mention sneezing, coughing, etc.) No, not for me!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

Muriatic acid. :classic_smile:

They are the same thing, muriatic acid is generally less concentrated than hydrochloric acid.  Home pools get muriatic acid, ships get hydrochloric acid, as they are trained in hazmat procedures, and the more concentrated acid requires less volume in storage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I would be more concerned about lots of other things in that water, judging from many of the people sitting in there daily. (Picking their toes and their nose. Not to mention sneezing, coughing, etc.) No, not for me!

I’m with you, couldn’t pay me enough to get into a hot tub on a cruise.  I think that’s where the term Petri dish originated🤢🤢

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I too am not a hot tub fan for these exact reasons.  😬😳

• Like 2

I only use the hot tubs first thing in the morning when they are empty.  I'm not a morning person, but for some reason when on vacation, I always wake up early.  On  a cruise, I hit the pool and hot tub for an hour while my wife gets more sleep.  I've never had any problems with my swimsuits being bleached.  

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I only use the hot tubs first thing in the morning when they are empty.  I'm not a morning person, but for some reason when on vacation, I always wake up early.  On  a cruise, I hit the pool and hot tub for an hour while my wife gets more sleep.  I've never had any problems with my swimsuits being bleached.  

Maybe you were in the rinse cycle. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1