Just back from Riviera.

welshfamily

We have just returned from our first Oceania cruise since COVID.

First.

Thanks to all the great people we meet, Old and new friends, who made our cruise exceptional. Sometimes the best thing about travelling is meeting people from different countries and enjoying their company.

The Riviera,

Stateroom 

She is a bit worn in the staterooms but is due for a refit very soon so other than a comment about the shower I will not comment unless asked a question.

I love to bathe however the shower, though powerful enough, is simply too small and I think Oceania are making a good decision to put in larger showers by removing the tub.

We had an extended balcony …….great.

HOWEVER……..we were over the “ things that allow the ship to manoeuvre “ every time the ship docked we were shaken so badly I could swear it loosened a couple of fillings in my teeth and at 4.30 -6.30 am every morning it was a bit of a shock. Since we are early risers and had lots of tours booked we never needed the alarm and enjoyed far more leisurely breakfasts then on any previous cruise so not all bad. Just be aware  the extended balcony on the Riviera and the two PH cabins next to them come with an added extra!!

Public Rooms,

Excellent condition.

The staff.

Lots of new staff.

Not perfect but polite, smiling , eager to help and on the whole simply great.

Shout out to Oceania ……. Include the gratuities in the price ……don’t allow guests to opt out. We don’t want to make a big thing on these boards about this but ………..

Fellow Guests,

Meet many wonderful people.

To all those  who don’t know how to say please and thank you to any member of staff helping you …..try hardened please.

The Food.

Gosh where to start.

The terrace.

Good choices, lots of variety, mostly excellent quality. 
In the Evening The terrace excelled  e.g. French night.

The Grand Dinning room,

Choice far more repetitive than before Covid.

Specialities.

All great except Toscana ………What has happened here? 2 of our meals had high lights 2 of our meals completely bombed. On the evening we went Chef was out apologising for the lasagne…..like a brick!!!, The mushroom Risotto….almost a soup however the lobster Risotto was superb. At least 4 tables were offered another night …..to let Toscana shine and a few people walked out. We felt sorry for the servers. This was the only place 

where we had a sommelier who was simply in the wrong job. We had the full package, had onboard credit to spare, but to be told the wines by the glass were ( curled lip…..masks went for staff towards end of cruise ) limited to basis wines and many choices were not available didn’t get the meal off on the right note. Now we are not wine buffs so are happy with most of the included wines, we were not asking for a recommendation and knew what we were getting but to have the wine bottle menu brought so we could selected better was ……rude. Fortunately we had been to the Martini bar before hand and were sufficiently ‘ relaxed ‘ to insist on our request being served with a smile. As my husband said …..She isn’t going to last on Oceania 

long. 

Excursions.

One was disgraceful, two excellent but all were free so we were happy enough. Now I know someone will tell me Olife costs but we like to believe these are free, this makes us happy so please don’t burst our bubble unless you just can’t help yourself.

Our advice ….check onboard exactly what your tour consists of, ask questions and if not sure ask more …don’t assume a leisurely drive isn’t a 1.45hr trek which will mean you hardly get off the bus and that approximately means …..depends on traffic and  may well be a optimistic view or an unrealistic expectation.

Nothing in life is perfect but after two years of COVID our cruise certainly did its best to give us a great holiday.

last note 

Oceania ‘s flights ….SUCK …..but that’s another story.

Questions

We will answer them if we can

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11

It was so lovely to see you all again! I have to agree with what you have written. A wonderful cruise with a few minor issues. I won't mention the incredibly rude and negative passenger I encountered at breakfast!🤣

Edited by firsttimers68

4 hours ago, welshfamily said:

last note 

Questions

Oh yes, I have a question about Oceania's flights.

We are experienced cruisers but just put a cabin on hold on the Riviera for August 2023 -  our very first Oceania cruise (39 days)

Except for one line (horror story) we always let the cruiseline take care of our airfare. 

So, can you give me more info about Oceania's air?
Our flight will be Washington Dulles to Oslo and a return from Copenhagen back to DC.
Lots of very reasonable non stop flights.  How bad is Oceania?

2 hours ago, firsttimers68 said:

...I won't mention the incredibly rude and negative passenger I encountered at breakfast!🤣

Why is there ALWAYS one of those on every cruise?  Just once, I'd like to get through the whole cruise without being subjected to that one toxic human.  Though I've become a master of running away very fast.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, welshfamily said:

We have just returned from our first Oceania cruise since COVID.

First.

Thanks to all the great people we meet, Old and new friends, who made our cruise exceptional. Sometimes the best thing about travelling is meeting people from different countries and enjoying their company.

The Riviera,

Stateroom 

She is a bit worn in the staterooms but is due for a refit very soon so other than a comment about the shower I will not comment unless asked a question.

I love to bathe however the shower, though powerful enough, is simply too small and I think Oceania are making a good decision to put in larger showers by removing the tub.

We had an extended balcony …….great.

HOWEVER……..we were over the “ things that allow the ship to manoeuvre “ every time the ship docked we were shaken so badly I could swear it loosened a couple of fillings in my teeth and at 4.30 -6.30 am every morning it was a bit of a shock. Since we are early risers and had lots of tours booked we never needed the alarm and enjoyed far more leisurely breakfasts then on any previous cruise so not all bad. Just be aware  the extended balcony on the Riviera and the two PH cabins next to them come with an added extra!!

Public Rooms,

Excellent condition.

The staff.

Lots of new staff.

Not perfect but polite, smiling , eager to help and on the whole simply great.

Shout out to Oceania ……. Include the gratuities in the price ……don’t allow guests to opt out. We don’t want to make a big thing on these boards about this but ………..

Fellow Guests,

Meet many wonderful people.

To all those  who don’t know how to say please and thank you to any member of staff helping you …..try hardened please.

The Food.

Gosh where to start.

The terrace.

Good choices, lots of variety, mostly excellent quality. 
In the Evening The terrace excelled  e.g. French night.

The Grand Dinning room,

Choice far more repetitive than before Covid.

Specialities.

All great except Toscana ………What has happened here? 2 of our meals had high lights 2 of our meals completely bombed. On the evening we went Chef was out apologising for the lasagne…..like a brick!!!, The mushroom Risotto….almost a soup however the lobster Risotto was superb. At least 4 tables were offered another night …..to let Toscana shine and a few people walked out. We felt sorry for the servers. This was the only place 

where we had a sommelier who was simply in the wrong job. We had the full package, had onboard credit to spare, but to be told the wines by the glass were ( curled lip…..masks went for staff towards end of cruise ) limited to basis wines and many choices were not available didn’t get the meal off on the right note. Now we are not wine buffs so are happy with most of the included wines, we were not asking for a recommendation and knew what we were getting but to have the wine bottle menu brought so we could selected better was ……rude. Fortunately we had been to the Martini bar before hand and were sufficiently ‘ relaxed ‘ to insist on our request being served with a smile. As my husband said …..She isn’t going to last on Oceania 

long. 

Excursions.

One was disgraceful, two excellent but all were free so we were happy enough. Now I know someone will tell me Olife costs but we like to believe these are free, this makes us happy so please don’t burst our bubble unless you just can’t help yourself.

Our advice ….check onboard exactly what your tour consists of, ask questions and if not sure ask more …don’t assume a leisurely drive isn’t a 1.45hr trek which will mean you hardly get off the bus and that approximately means …..depends on traffic and  may well be a optimistic view or an unrealistic expectation.

Nothing in life is perfect but after two years of COVID our cruise certainly did its best to give us a great holiday.

last note 

Questions

Thanks for the review.

They’re called “bow thrusters” and they can be discerned from anywhere on the ship. “Anchor chain” is another item that reminds folks that they’re at sea. 

The booze packages are best for those who drink better spirits. The wine-by-the-glass menus are, for the most part, mediocre. Bring your own wine - as much as you want (the 6 bottle limit is a CYA statement that is never enforced). You can bring spirits as well and your steward will stick your fridge with whatever available mixers/sodas you want (just please obey the rules about in-cabin consumption only for spirits AND the $25 corkage for any bottle that leaves your cabin.

Once you hit silver O Club, gratuities coverage is complimentary. BTW, I’ve never encountered another O passenger who actually removed the auto-gratuities.

For excursions: when you book a cruise request the most updated PDF of the available tours, which have the complete description. The first page of the PDF will also identify the minimum number of tours (O Life and/or paid) required to qualify for the 25% discount. BTW, it is only the O Life SBC that nets you $0 more than you paid in the fare. The right choice of interesting/allowable tours for your tour option can double their individual value at $199. 

Too bad about Toscana. Always say something if you are displeased. It will be made right.

We never use O flights- always take the credit - especially if you fly bizclass.

Hopefully, you’ll become an O regular.

8 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

We are experienced cruisers but just put a cabin on hold on the Riviera for August 2023 -  our very first Oceania cruise (39 days)

Except for one line (horror story) we always let the cruiseline take care of our airfare. 

Our flight will be Washington Dulles to Oslo and a return from Copenhagen back to DC.

If you fly Bizclass, even their Air Department will tell you to DIY.

Thanks  for your review

One comment on the thrusters   they can be felt  on most of the ship  so not just your locations 😉

Yes either pay the deviation & pick your own flights  or  just book your own air

Of course  these days  it could be just the airlines & cut backs   ..who knows

I agree about not allowing the Gratuities to be removed   or  just jack up the price to include them

Thanks for your review

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Lovely to cruise with you and your family again first timer. You will a real added bonus.

Drinks……We love cocktails and Champagne….package well worth it. Wine is only an add on for us.

Flights

We did deviate, spent a great 4 days in Barcelona. 
The trouble with Oceania flights for us were two fold.

1. Oceania only use schedule flights via hubs. Long layovers. So much so we could have got there quicker by train. In fact we meet a couple who did just that and are were delighted with  their experience. Low cost carrier could have got us to Barcelona 5 hrs quicker. Oceania don’t book seats or upgrade seats reasonably. 

2. No control when things go wrong. We  did choose our flight from their list. Our flight was cancelled a few weeks before we cruised. This was the airline

However,

Too late to get a private transfer or trip. No Oceania excursions into Rome for late flight passengers. Oceania would not let us fly home the next day even when we offered to pay the difference. As the carrier offered  a same day flight Oceania would not alter it. Private customers could have chosen a complete refund , an alternative flight and compensation.  This left us with  7 hrs in Rome airport after leaving the ship. Not the ideal end to the cruise but we ended up ok. ( We are good at making the best of things …..however I did whinge on the last day …I am only human)

Gratuities.

We meet people who boasted about removing the Gratuities …. Horrid 

Oceania add them on the last day of the cruise. This seemed to surprise some cruisers who thought Oceania had forgotten about them……. 

As for Negative passengers ….unfortunately some people are just dreadful human beings. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ToxM said:

I am glad your cruise was good. I have to say I think there is really no benefit to using O flights, get the credit, book your own. 

Again, depends on the particular situation and itinerary. We've used O air for all three cruises, been very happy, and have saved lots of $$$ over DIY. The caveat...these were all for TAs, therefore one way, and we paid the deviation to get exactly what/when we wanted.

• Like 1

My ample hips are no longer compatible with the ergonomics of economy travel. I just knock the flight off the booking from the get go and then use SkyScanner and other dark arts to find the best biz seats. 

For UK cruisers, it is worth looking at BA for booking - you can customise on their website  for out and back flights and if you add a hotel say for the day before your cruise, it gets covered by ATOL and you can pay with instalments etc. I believe Expedia also offer this. My Christmas cruise is with Virgin and I booked Upper Class as soon as the flights opened (can be cheapest time) and then added basic car rental (which I will not take - only added about 50 quid) and hey presto it becomes a package and is covered by ATOL and ABTA and can be paid off in instalments and the extra coverage is a bit reassuring. 

Gratuities are a dark secret with Oceania. Other lines add them at booking or they are inclusive as per the Aus/UK lines. I would anticipate tipping (and always do on top of the included ones) but only found out about Oceania's tipping through CC. Am not surprised that some people have a shock at the end of the cruise.

For my next two O cruises to Miami and South America i am flying biz using British Airways airpoints. Mind I had to book them 355 days prior to the flights. Am using cheap Easyjet flights to Barcelone back from Rome for a celebrity cruise next month. BA cancelled the original ones!

Great review.

22 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

I believe we are on the first 18 day segment of your cruise...Oslo to London. Flight schedules will open up in a few weeks, so I have been looking at possibilities. There is only one mainstream airline nonstop flight to Oslo from North America that I have found and it is an overpriced flight on SAS from EWR. New ultra discounter Norse airlines also flies NS from JFK. Of course from IAD you should have a large selection of reasonable connections to Oslo, but the only way to guarantee reasonableness is to tell them what flights you want at the 270 day opening window, wait for a few weeks and see if they will accept your chosen flights. Then pay the $175 pp deviation fee and you are booked. Other issue, though, is that flight times change and you have to deal with contacting them to deal with airline schedule change issues. I am planning to book my own flights.

45 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Gratuities are a dark secret with Oceania. Other lines add them at booking or they are inclusive as per the Aus/UK lines. I would anticipate tipping (and always do on top of the included ones) but only found out about Oceania's tipping through CC. Am not surprised that some people have a shock at the end of the cruise. ...

That's funny, "dark secret"! I think you mean an OPEN statement found easily? "

• For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $16.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $23.00 per guest, per day will be added.
  • In addition, an 20% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion."

What is your gratuity policy? – Oceania Cruises (zendesk.com)

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Gratuities are a dark secret with Oceania. Other lines add them at booking or they are inclusive as per the Aus/UK lines. I would anticipate tipping (and always do on top of the included ones) but only found out about Oceania's tipping through CC. Am not surprised that some people have a shock at the end of the cruise. ...

ALSO found here on O's web site. Pretty OPEN statements:

Gratuities can be prepaid. 

• Suites and above $23 Per Person Per Day 
  • Concierge and below $16 per Person Per Day

How much are Gratuities and can they be prepaid? – Oceania Cruises (zendesk.com)

• Like 3

Oceania flatly refused to let us prepay our Gratuities. Our TA copied us into the emails as we have paid them in advance before.

My daughter even rang Oceania personally and asked why Oceania would not let us pay in advance. The member of staff said the rules had changed several years ago. Indeed your thoughtfully supplied link is dated 2018. Oceania’s rep. suggested we add onboard credit to cover them and my daughter did this. 

2 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

Oceania flatly refused to let us prepay our Gratuities. ... Indeed your thoughtfully supplied link is dated 2018. ...

I merely pulled them off O's own web site this morning! And O is not "hiding" the gratuity policy. They clearly state the daily rates.

Whether you can prepay or not isn't my concern. I don't give businesses money I don't have to up front. Months or years in advance. But that's just me and how interest works. I'll pay at the end of the cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Oceania flatly refused to let us prepay our Gratuities. Our TA copied us into the emails as we have paid them in advance before.

My daughter even rang Oceania personally and asked why Oceania would not let us pay in advance. The member of staff said the rules had changed several years ago. Indeed your thoughtfully supplied link is dated 2018. Oceania’s rep. suggested we add onboard credit to cover them and my daughter did this. 

any onboard  credit  in your account  the gratuities will be taken out FIRST  then any other expenses  any balance  will be put on your CC  or refunded (if applicable )

Just put $$ in your account   ahead of time if you want

Oceania does not designate  $$ in your account  ahead of time for specific items

Option 2  find a TA that will include  the gratuities (not sure of they do that in the UK)

Our TA  included the PPG

3 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Gratuities are a dark secret with Oceania. Other lines add them at booking or they are inclusive as per the Aus/UK lines. I would anticipate tipping (and always do on top of the included ones) but only found out about Oceania's tipping through CC.

On the N.A site  they are stated  in the FAQ

Not sure on the UK or Aus sites

Some lines just add them into the fare for those Countries where people are not used to tipping

JMO

Back to air ...

We learned on our first Renaissance cruise (when we luckily had booked our own air because we were going into Lisbon early) that there were horrific stories from people on the "free" air.  Lots of diversions, etc.

Later on we figured out that since we live in NYC, flying to typical Ren/Oceania departure points is not difficult.  But for people who cannot fly straight through, it can be very difficult. But for people living in the Midwest or the west coast -- and the same can be said for people living in European locations that are NOT Paris or London -- it can be just as difficult.

We always book our own ... especially now that we are old enough that we prefer biz air.

Mura

• Like 1