Anything new or same old

cusematt4

Hi,

before Covid, we cruised on some oasis class ships in addition to the anthem a number of times.  While food and staff were great, everything got stale.

for example

on anthem, same shows despite being in nj for many years

same name that tune on anthem down to the songs and even the order

same quest questions on all ships to the point where we could recite it

same marriage game show questions

same ballon drop on New Years of sailing then

almost the same dining room menu on different ships for a number of years

same 70s dance party on all ships to the point we could recite the order of the songs and consumes by staff

other cruise lines come out with new contests and activities, while changing the order and content of non production shows.  I know production shows are costly to replace but things like quest questions and 70s dance party or name that tune could be updated or replaced.

Does anyone know if royal caribbean took the time during Covid to develop new content, contests, and activities such in addition to menus?

we want to cruise with Royal caribbean but just want some new activities and content.

Hmmm, there is an interesting point in the OP's question. For folks that sail with Royal a LOT, do you not get bored and tired of the same thing over and over? I enjoy cruising, but I certainly do not cruise as much as some of you talk about cruising on here. I mean if everything just stays the same and you experience it over and over again, do you not tire of the same old repeat stuff? Why keep going for the same stuff over and over? Not to hijack this thread. Again, the OP brings up an interesting point. Thanks OP!  (P.S. I have not been bored yet, but I also dont cruise as frequently as some people on here and I mix it up. I've done 3 cruises since the restart and 2 more to go, but I sail various cruise lines.)

• Like 4

so we are on the Allure OTS both in September and October (4 weeks apart)  We have also been married 40 years!  You are telling me that we (DW and I) could go to the Love and Marriage show in September...write down the questions and then come back in October and try to get picked and clean up on the pens and schwag bags?  😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

so we are on the Allure OTS both in September and October (4 weeks apart)  We have also been married 40 years!  You are telling me that we (DW and I) could go to the Love and Marriage show in September...write down the questions and then come back in October and try to get picked and clean up on the pens and schwag bags?  😇

Pretty much. 😂

8 hours ago, blueslily said:

Hmmm, there is an interesting point in the OP's question. For folks that sail with Royal a LOT, do you not get bored and tired of the same thing over and over? I enjoy cruising, but I certainly do not cruise as much as some of you talk about cruising on here. I mean if everything just stays the same and you experience it over and over again, do you not tire of the same old repeat stuff? Why keep going for the same stuff over and over? Not to hijack this thread. Again, the OP brings up an interesting point. Thanks OP!  (P.S. I have not been bored yet, but I also dont cruise as frequently as some people on here and I mix it up. I've done 3 cruises since the restart and 2 more to go, but I sail various cruise lines.)

Nope. Never! Like knowing what going get for my money and routine...

• Like 4

I haven't sailed Royal since 2018 (Upcoming cruise on Liberty OTS this weekend) but I have sailed with NCL many times and on the same ships sometimes. 

NCL shakes it up A TON.  Even if basing what NCL did for game shows pre pandemic vs what they had post pandemic, HUGE difference (improvement)

I've been on the Getaway at least 3x now and it is always different game shows/activities. I have had it once where the 2 big production shows were the same, but besides that there wasn't really many repeat activities/trivia questions/game show things.

Interesting to read your take on Royal...it definitely would influence me to not the same ship more than once. I just assumed the ydid the same as NCL 

Since we do not go to a lot of the entertainment the “sameness” doesn’t bother us.  We like being at sea for the rest and relaxation.  But really like the NJ and Baltimore ports because of “no flying” for us. To each his own.  If the “sameness” bothers you just try another line.  Problem solved.  But really — I think Royal had and still has more to worry about than changing up entertainment.  Katherine 

Anyone else know if things have been updated and if Royal caribbean took the time to improve the guest experience during Covid?  Not looking for new shows but just updated theme parties or even songs for the 70s party than what’s been used the past 10 years in addition to quest, marriage and name that tune questions and even order and dining room menus?  Thanks.

20 hours ago, blueslily said:

I'm probably one of those people you're talking about.  I did five cruises in a row last fall, three last winter, and five last spring.  I'm going on nine consecutive cruises in a month's time, plus a tenth cruise on Celebrity for a friend's birthday.  (Not all cruises are on the same ship.)

I don't go to trivia or Name That Tune, so if those are the same it doesn't bother me at all.

I do usually hit Love and Marriage, because even if most of the questions are the same, the answers are what makes the show so entertaining.  

I don't typically go to theater production shows (although I will hit the Broadway shows... except for Cats!), so that doesn't bother me at all.

Headliners / comedians are usually different, so that's not a "same old" situation.

And I also eat in the MDR.  I mix-and-match my meals from the available offerings... adding a side from one dish to the meat from another, or adding something from the vegan menu (the tempura veggies are yummy!!!). I only go to a specialty restaurant if a traveling companion wants to, and then we use my BOGO D+ coupon.  I've never gone hungry on a cruise.  

It all depends on what you want from a cruise.  If trivia games and production shows are important to you, you're going to want to mix it up with other lines.  But if relaxing on the pool deck watching the water flow by as you sip a peach daiquiri and read your Kindle is what makes you happy, then Royal has it covered.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi,

before Covid, we cruised on some oasis class ships in addition to the anthem a number of times.  While food and staff were great, everything got stale.

for example

same 70s dance party on all ships to the point we could recite the order of the songs and consumes by staff

other cruise lines come out with new contests and activities, while changing the order and content of non production shows.  I know production shows are costly to replace but things like quest questions and 70s dance party or name that tune could be updated or replaced.

Does anyone know if royal caribbean took the time during Covid to develop new content, contests, and activities such in addition to menus?

we want to cruise with Royal caribbean but just want some new activities and content.

Truth is, you get to a point where the wonder of the cruise experience wanes.  However, depending on outlook, wonder may wane but not enjoyment.  DW and I cruise about 3x a year - a good amount but not as much as many.  We love being on ship, watching the ocean (nothing beats the indigo colour of the ocean), dressing up for dinner, going on our own in port, eating local dishes, spending time on the beach and watching shows we like.  Many of the things you mention, we don’t do but have other things we enjoy.  We’ve been on Allure now a few times to see Mamma Mia (never gets boring).  And, we do like the 70’s Night (part of the fun is you know everything that’s going to happen).   Hopefully, we don’t get bored (we have quite a few cruises booked).

Edited by Airbear232
Spelling

5 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Anyone else know if things have been updated and if Royal caribbean took the time to improve the guest experience during Covid?  Not looking for new shows but just updated theme parties or even songs for the 70s party than what’s been used the past 10 years in addition to quest, marriage and name that tune questions and even order and dining room menus?  Thanks.

No. 

6 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

I have been on 12 RCI cruises since the restart and more or less things are the same on every ship like they were pre-COVID. The one exception was Odyssey which had several shows I hadn’t seen before. I assume that applies to Wonder too, but I haven’t sailed on her yet ( have 3 booked later this year). 

On 8/31/2022 at 9:28 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi,

for example

Seems like a lot less activities, no Quest more silent disco which is a cheap way to say your having an activity without the live band and fun dancing opportunities. On 9 nights cruise in May fun first few days then silent disco and karaoke galore which is painful to sit through. Longing for the days of live bands and dancing opportunities. Ncl has it over RCL right now for activities and activities staff too! And line dancing Zumba etc!