Ncl and parents controlling unruly kids on pearl this summer?

sullyd

From my perspective, kids are paying customers and have the right to enjoy their vacation and the cruise ship. Just like the adults who have “enjoyed” their beverage package. So long as they are somewhat within the guest code of conduct (no violence, no skateboards, no saving loungers or theater seats, no climbing outside exterior rails, no smoking pot, no wandering around crew areas like the bridge). 

Not within my rights, or anyone’s rights, or NCL’s rights, to dictate how others (including kids) behave on a ship or land base hotel or Disneyland so long as they are within the Code of Conduct. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

From my perspective, kids are paying customers and have the right to enjoy their vacation and the cruise ship. Just like the adults who have “enjoyed” their beverage package. So long as they are somewhat within the guest code of conduct (no violence, no skateboards, no saving loungers or theater seats, no climbing outside exterior rails, no smoking pot, no wandering around crew areas like the bridge). 

Not within my rights, or anyone’s rights, or NCL’s rights, to dictate how others (including kids) behave on a ship or land base hotel or Disneyland so long as they are within the Code of Conduct. 

It's very simple, if people don't like how kids behave they shouldn't go on a cruise line marketed at families with kids.

It's exactly the same as people who buy a house out in the country and then complain the farm next door smells bad. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Absolutely 

7 minutes ago, dandelpino said:

It's very simple, if people don't like how kids behave they shouldn't go on a cruise line marketed at families with kids.

It's exactly the same as people who buy a house out in the country and then complain the farm next door smells bad. 

Kids should have fun on the cruise, just not to the extreme of parents letting kids stay out all night disturbing other paying customers,by running up and down hallways pounding on doors in the middle of the night.is not ok . I took my kids on several cruises and they needed have respect for fellow passengers. 

• Like 19

Kids should behave on a cruise. A ship is a public place and those standards are different then when you're home.

Adults should also behave. 

When children are not behaving, their guardians should correct them.  This is how children learn and grow to fit into a society that respects others.

Sadly,  society has turned towards an entitled "me first,  I'm more important than you " mentality so no one cares if their behavior bothers others, no matter how out of the ordinary it is.  

Add the fact that crew are afraid to confront many guests who cross the line for fear of how the guest and their supervisors will respond and things slowly devolve. 

Hopefully if you see someone who's behavior is really affecting your cruise, you're able to politely inform them and they're mature enough to listen and respectfully stop.  Stranger things have happened.   A month ago people wouldn't believe you'd be able to get a Coke on NCL!

• Like 19

53 minutes ago, sullyd said:

Kids should have fun on the cruise, just not to the extreme of parents letting kids stay out all night disturbing other paying customers,by running up and down hallways pounding on doors in the middle of the night.is not ok . I took my kids on several cruises and they needed have respect for fellow passengers. 

I'm not disagreeing on what's right or wrong; I'm just a pragmatist. Kids have done this things and behaved this way on cruise ships for decades and the family cruise lines (NCL, CCL, RCCL, Disney) respond by saying please come again. If you book on a cruise line that caters to kids you have to expect that these things will happen and that the cruise lines will not intervene because the parents of these wild kids are their bread and butter customer. 

It's not that what these kids do is "right", it's that their behavior is not unexpected. Anyone who will be bothered by these kids should vacation elsewhere because complaining will only sour your vacation, it won't change the kids' behavior.

My opinion being someone who has been cruising since I was 9 years old, is again kids should be able to act like kids staying within the conduct codes and safety guidelines of the ship. I actually love watching kids having a blast meeting new friends and experiencing things that many children will never get to experience. Now if you don’t want to deal with tons of kids  cruise either a line that does not cater to families and children, or cruise during school season. I have 3 children 16 18 and 21, my wife and I do like to cruise when school is in session so we don’t have 100s of children on

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

When children are not behaving, their guardians should correct them.  This is how children learn and grow to fit into a society that respects others.

Well that's one opinion on good parenting, yes. And it happens to be the one I personally agree with. However, it's not the only parenting style nor is it the 'correct' one. Parents are free to decide how they will teach their kids to fit into society. Unfortunately when people with vastly different styles come together in a small space there will be conflict.

Ultimately we can't change how others behave. We can only control where we go and how we let the behavior of others affect us. I personally don't go somewhere on vacation if I think the not-unusual and completely expected behavior of other guests will bother me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sullyd said:

On a recent cruise, the Captain announced that parents should be monitoring their children’s behaviour in accordance with cruise line policies. Policy violations by anyone might mean action taken up to and including disembarkation…and then passengers ‘knew the rest of the story’. Forewarned is forearmed…

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Sadly,  society has turned towards an entitled "me first,  I'm more important than you " mentality so no one cares if their behavior bothers others, no matter how out of the ordinary it is.

I'm nit picking what you wrote but I would say "some people" instead of "no one".   🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I'm nit picking what you wrote but I would say "some people" instead of "no one".   🙂

Yes, because I’m sure not one of those people.  I raised my kids to be polite, respectful, and still have a rowdy good time when it’s appropriate.  

The OP didn’t say children should be baked in a pie and served to the hogs.  

She just asked if anyone ever had any issues.   That’s a fair question.

We should re-name this the Over-reaction thread.  

• Like 4

Having sailed enough NCL cruises to be a Sapphire latitude member, I have NEVER had any experience with "unruly" kids on any cruise.  The one cruise I did take on the WalMart of the seas line was horrible though.  The rugrats there (and their drunk inattentive parents) pretty much ruined the cruise for all others.  You will be OK on NCL.

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

She just asked if anyone ever had any issues.   That’s a fair question.

Please define "issues". That is the bottom line of the commentary. I, personally, have absolutely no problems with kids running and having fun on a cruise vacation. Stuffing their faces with "at-home-forbidden" foods on the buffet lines. Alternating between water slides and soft serve machines. 

It is not up to me to set the standard how kids should/should not behave. Or when there is an "issue"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Carnival just updated their curfew policy, requiring all guests/children must be in their cabins by 1AM ship time unless accompanied by some 21 years and older.  Break the rules, get kicked off the ship.

NCL and Royal have the same policy. Always have. 

I read on other posts (not Ncl ) I think it was Carnival Magic out of NYC about kids running around hallways at late hrs knocking on doors . They also complained of marijuana smoking everywhere. My question is are there issues like that on the pearl this Summer. I’m sorry if I was to vague.

7 hours ago, dandelpino said:

kids are kids. We were 6 kids and when our parents took us on vacation we were pretty much free, but then again it we grew up during the days when mom only had to give us the look and we would behave LOL that said, we try to book cruises when children are in school, Transatlantics being an alternative. 🙂 we have never had problems with unruly children, i agree with that children have a right to enjoy their vacation like anyone else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sullyd said:

I read on other posts (not Ncl ) I think it was Carnival Magic out of NYC about kids running around hallways at late hrs knocking on doors . They also complained of marijuana smoking everywhere. My question is are there issues like that on the pearl this Summer. I’m sorry if I was to vague.

You weren't too vague but every ship, every cruise is going to be different.  They basically let anybody on any ship (assuming they pay the fare and have whatever documentation needed).  So if there was an unruly group of kids on the Pearl one week, there might be nothing but baby boomers on the next one, depending on timing and itinerary.  

Yea, how the staff handles problems could be an issue but even then, with staff contract cycles, what happened last week doesn't always predict what will happen down the road.

44 minutes ago, sullyd said:

My question is are there issues like that on the pearl this Summer. I’m sorry if I was to vague.

I thought this part was oddly specific, "this  past Summer on Pearl," especially so since it was prompted by something read about the Carnival Magic out of NYC.

Oh my, did you choose a tough subject.  I know, I had a huge post and within that post I mentioned unruly children.  The issue is not the kids.  Kids will be kids.  It is the parents that allow the children to go unsupervised and or don't care if the child is breaking the pool rules.  

We all have to remember, NCL has third and forth person free on some of their cabins and suites.  If it is a time when it is a holiday or school is out, that is a bargain for many families.  I made a decision to never cruise during those times and since then, never had an issue.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Carnival just updated their curfew policy, requiring all guests/children must be in their cabins by 1AM ship time unless accompanied by some 21 years and older.  Break the rules, get kicked off the ship.

This is a pointless rule that I doubt will ever be enforced. I sailed a bunch of times with Royal and NCL when I was a teenager 15-20 years ago and the had the same rule. I routinely (read: every night) broke curfew with groups of other teens I met on the ships. Literally no one ever cared in 10+ cruises as a teen. Crew members would greet us and we'd be served food in the 24hr cafe/pizza place with no issues. If you're not being disruptive, no one will tell you to go to your cabin. If you're being disruptive enough to get the attention of security and get kicked off it will be for a far bigger offence than curfew. I would bet good money that no one is ever going to get kicked off solely for breaking curfew. 

• Like 2