Confusing Refund

pthjudy

We just canceled our October 16 cruise on Oasis. My husband broke his jaw and I don’t know the recuperation timeframe. We just saw a refund from Royal Caribbean posted on our cc. The amount does not reflect either the deposit or the final payment. I did not expect anything back. Do any of you have an explanation? The deposit was OBC from a cruise we cancelled early in the pandemic. I need this to know what to claim from trip cancellation coverage. Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, pthjudy said:

We just canceled our October 16 cruise on Oasis. My husband broke his jaw and I don’t know the recuperation timeframe. We just saw a refund from Royal Caribbean posted on our cc. The amount does not reflect either the deposit or the final payment. I did not expect anything back. Do any of you have an explanation? The deposit was OBC from a cruise we cancelled early in the pandemic. I need this to know what to claim from trip cancellation coverage. Thanks. 

It sounds like to be you are in the penalty phase of cancellation so the cancel fee is a percentage of your cruise fare, depending on the number of days block, this would be on your confirmation or you should be able to see the days tiers on the Royal site, like 75-90 days is this percentage, etc. As you are past final payment, your cancel fee would not be the deposit, it should be based on how many days before saildate did you cancel and the corresponding % penalty.

Taxes plus any other amount that is not held in penalty by the following cancellation schedule.  If it was an October cruise you are most likely in the 75% cancellation period.  You would get back taxes plus 25% of your cruise fare.  If you paid gratuities those would also be refunded in full

cancel fees.jpg

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

RCCL refunds are always confusing.  The only way to make sense out of them is to keep line item records for every cruise.  (No, I don't.)  I've had refunds for weird amounts for a single cruise show up weeks apart, and don't remind me of the time I used more than one credit card!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

When you called to cancel, the cancellation letter from Royal should have listed the cancellation penalty amount.  The remainder should be refunded, but it will come in many pieces.  

Insurance will ask for a copy of your paid in full booking invoice, your cancellation letter from Royal, and documentation from your doctor. 

15 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

When you called to cancel, the cancellation letter from Royal should have listed the cancellation penalty amount.  The remainder should be refunded, but it will come in many pieces.  

Insurance will ask for a copy of your paid in full booking invoice, your cancellation letter from Royal, and documentation from your doctor. 

I never got the cancellation letter from Royal. I used a TA. I guess he can get it for me. Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, pthjudy said:

I never got the cancellation letter from Royal. I used a TA. I guess he can get it for me. Thanks. 

You have to ask for it. If you used a travel agent then you have to ask the travel agent for it.

How can I get a copy of the cancellation letter? We cancelled our booked direct with RCL cruise on Saturday for medical reasons. We have insurance, so I need a cancelled confirmation. When I cancelled, they said I would get an email. No email yet 4 days later. I called C&A today, the rep gave me a cancellation number, but said he could not email me a copy of cancellation.

Thanks

30 minutes ago, WeatherFx said:

How can I get a copy of the cancellation letter? We cancelled our booked direct with RCL cruise on Saturday for medical reasons. We have insurance, so I need a cancelled confirmation. When I cancelled, they said I would get an email. No email yet 4 days later. I called C&A today, the rep gave me a cancellation number, but said he could not email me a copy of cancellation.

Thanks

I got one emailed to me the same day I canceled. I went through C&A, and they stayed on the line with the other department until it was complete, and I had received the letter.  

Call C&A again.  If they have the cancellation number, they should have the amount. 

44 minutes ago, WeatherFx said:

Thanks

Check your spam folder. 

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Check your spam folder. 

I checked my spam folder for the last four days, not there

10 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I got one emailed to me the same day I canceled. I went through C&A, and they stayed on the line with the other department until it was complete, and I had received the letter.  

Call C&A again.  If they have the cancellation number, they should have the amount. 

I also called C&A back again and was told same thing, they can't email me anything. Waiting on hold for resolutions now.

If you have cruise insurance, and you have the documentation that the cause of the cancellation was medical, you should be able to get virtually all of your costs refunded by the insurance company.

DW blew out her knee five days before a cruise, and we filed with the insurance company (Called RCL and they walked us through exactly what the process was and what to tell the insurance company) and we received 100% of what we had paid (except for the cost of the insurance itself).