Covid positive after cruise

Jadesmom69

11 hours ago, coffeebean said:

No need to "milk" anything. If an individual tests positive, that person must not be out in public for 5 days if no symptoms and 10 days if they do have symptoms. Those are the current CDC guidelines if anyone tests positive.

Why two posts?  Again, we followed doctor's orders.  

11 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Let's not forget there is asymptomatic (no symptoms) infection. If you don't regularly test, you will not know you have Covid.

What is regularly test?  Every morning, twice a day, once a week, once a month?  You could test negative in the morning and an hour later test positive.  We are retired and take vacations other than cruises so no requirement to take a test.  I have not had any symptoms of anything for years so have not had a reason to test.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BND said:

Thanks Dr.  Geez.  I actually think you may have commented on every single poster on this thread.

Guess that’s how they get the thread count so high.   Tried to scroll past them….gave up after 25 min. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

A whole bunch of people including me tested positive after a Harmony cruise back in May. This seems to be the norm based on FB pages for the 10 cruises I have been on this year. 

‘A whole bunch’ is roughly how many?

Edited by bucfan2

We just returned from Alaska and when we got on the ship there was no coughing.  The night before we departed, it seemed like 50% of the passengers were hacking.  There is a a reason the staff all wear n95’s.  We brought test kits and on the morning we depaywe had mild symptoms but tested negative.  The next morning at home we were positive which has huge implications for us.  We can’t look after our elderly parents so we are really upset with ourselves for going.  

for those that tested positive, how long did it take for you to get a negative test?

9 hours ago, ckrobyn said:

There are some people who are just super immune - and you may be one of them! There are studies going on right now to determine why some people get covid and others just don't. My daughter got covid and during her most infectious days (the 24-48 hours before her positive test) we were in very close proximity (she lives with us) and we shared food and drink. I did not test positive.....some will get it, some won't......

Odds are that it wouldn't be both DH and I that are immune.  But, I could see none to very very mild symptoms that we just ignored.  Out of my entire family only my DH's brother got really sick (hospitalized on O2 with pneumonia) and that was back with the original Covid.  Everyone else (nieces, nephews, 2DS, 2DIL's siblings) who  has had it had at the most 2-3 days of mild symptoms.    We know quite a few people who never got the vaccine and also never got Covid, a lot more than would fall into that immunity category.   Everyone has been exposed at this point, but like with other viruses, not everyone will catch it.  I know kids who were exposed to chicken pox 2-3 times before they actually caught it (my sons had it before the vaccine came out).

Was just on HOS.   I wore no masks on the ship, airport, or plane - but washed my hands often and tried to stay away from any really crowded elevators.  2 shots + 2 boosters.  Covid negative and happy (and grateful).

Edited by BobNoxious

On 9/3/2022 at 11:47 PM, Jadesmom69 said:

I just got off Explorer of the Seas last Sunday and had a great time, but starting feeling sick that morning and immediately tested positive for Covid within an hour of leaving the ship.  I understand this was the chance I took when cruising, but it seems like a good amount of other people also tested positive within a couple of days of leaving the ship.  I was wondering if people on other ships recently had a similar experience.  Thanks

sorry, but just a bit of sarcasm here hahah  who knew?    like the common cold, a virus is contagious.  we have seen the extraordinary measures taken did not work as they were advertised.  

Sorry you are sick however.  hopefully a mild case and goes quickly!!!!!

2 hours ago, Fartlek said:

We just returned from Alaska and when we got on the ship there was no coughing.  The night before we departed, it seemed like 50% of the passengers were hacking.  There is a a reason the staff all wear n95’s.  We brought test kits and on the morning we depaywe had mild symptoms but tested negative.  The next morning at home we were positive which has huge implications for us.  We can’t look after our elderly parents so we are really upset with ourselves for going.  

for those that tested positive, how long did it take for you to get a negative test?

I had Covid at the beginning of August. I tested on day 5 and was still positive then I tested on day 8 and was negative so somewhere in between day 5-8. 

On 9/5/2022 at 10:42 AM, lovescats5 said:

Why do we always have to hear about getting covid after a cruise.  Have people gotten covid after going to the grocery store, how about work.  You will get covid, if you are going to get it, where ever you are or where ever you have visited.  Cruise ships are no different.  First we complain about having to wear masks, then testing before a cruise, then not everyone wearing a mask although it is not required.  Covid is here to stay as is the cold or flu.  Can we just move on.  So tired of all this.  If you don't want to take a chance then stay home.  And no, I don't need a lot of judgemental people telling me what they think I need to do.  We will be on Quantum Sept. 19 and if we feel sick when we get home I can say we will not test.  Yea, I am one of those.

Well first, I've been in grocery stores, restaurants, movie theaters, and various other businesses.  Never caught Covid.  Went on a ship, and four days after disembarking, tested positive.  

Now, that being said, I agree we need to learn to live with Covid.  I knew there was a chance of catching it, and went on the cruise anyway.  Had a great time!  

That being said, if you don't want to hear about people getting Covid after a cruise, why did you even open the thread?  Seems pretty easy to skip it and then you don't have to hear about it. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, rudeney said:

I believe the reimbursements have ended now.  If you test positive and get quarantined, you are just SOL.  

I am not sure of the date the policy for reimbursement for being quarantined while on the ship ends (or ended).  It still may be running, or it may have ended by now.  Our cruise finished 3 weeks ago, and we were eligible for the reimbursements from that cruise (which have partially been paid back - a portion was not paid yet, but that was an oversight on their part, that they said they are now correcting).

The rest of the world (I am a school teacher in Ontario), is now basically being told, just live with Covid.  You are directed to isolate and return to work or school when symptoms have been improving for 24 hours.  Others will not bother to isolate at all.  Not saying what is right or what is wrong, but it is funny how quick policies can turn on a dime.

If RCCL tests you and then quarantine you now as you state and then there is zero compensation at all, that there will be the incentive people need to not test at all and just go on about their vacation.  At least when the quarantine was in place, the reimbursement offered was enough to encourage some people sitting on the fence whether to get a test or not, to do so.

8 hours ago, Fartlek said:

Took between 12 and 13 days for each of us to test negative after initially testing positive.  The line was very faint around day 8, but continued to be there until day 13 for me.  I tested every 2nd day.

11 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

I’ll guess ‘several’ as well lol. 

The night before we departed, I’m not exaggerating that 50% or more were hacking.  We payed attention from the first night to the last and the coughing went from nonexistent to half in one week.  All the same coughing.  When we got the cough we knew but it took until we got home to test positive 

26 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

The night before we departed, I’m not exaggerating that 50% or more were hacking.  We payed attention from the first night to the last and the coughing went from nonexistent to half in one week.  All the same coughing.  When we got the cough we knew but it took until we got home to test positive 

We paid attention also on our Apr cruise where a lot were coughing, including myself.  I had a sinus infection which was confirmed after we got home through a neg PCR and rapid as well as flu tests.  I had a temp of 101.5 and other symptoms and was neg.  Not all coughs are covid lol.  My DH had a cough/cold also after that cruise.  Neither of us has ever tested positive.

11 hours ago, Fartlek said:

Day 11 after the onset of symptoms, I tested negative. I tested 48 hours later and got another negative test. That is a CDC guideline so I did that test 48 hours after the first negative test.

11 hours ago, Fartlek said:

Had a mild case in early August.  First positive test was a Monday morning after some slight sniffles and scratchy throat started Sunday night.  Positive each day through Friday then Saturday was testing negative.

12 hours ago, Keksie said:

What is regularly test?  Every morning, twice a day, once a week, once a month?  You could test negative in the morning and an hour later test positive.  We are retired and take vacations other than cruises so no requirement to take a test.  I have not had any symptoms of anything for years so have not had a reason to test.

Weekly is a good indication. Usually, when someone tests positive, it will take 10 days to test negative. So once a week would "catch" that positive test.

As others have said you can catch it anywhere, in our neighborhood here in Florida we have a decent outbreak (again) and I know ~35 people who have it here. My wife and myself cruise a lot and have come back with COVID 2X in 7 cruises this year (so far). We have 4 more scheduled this year and we will go (and take our tests with us)...

Here's my family: me (1 booster), wife (2 shots), 3 kids ( not vaxed). We all got Covid in January (I assume Omicron, nothing serious). We had a big Europe trip (19 days, with a 7 day European cruise at the end), and my son got Covid on the last day of the cruise (he got it earlier, but he was sick on the last day). We spend time in the cruise cabin, he was sitting between me and my wife during our flight home [we tested after we got home by the way] so I'm sure we would have gotten it ourselves if not for.... Natural immunity. So somehow my son was unlucky, and got it but none of the other 4 in my family had any problems at all.

Folks, this is like that cold. Let's stop talking about it.

• Like 1

I'll add my data. Took four Covid era cruises masked, didn't get Covid. Let my guard down in May on Oasis and was infected onboard. Yes, it was definitely onboard because my group met on the ship having come from different locations and we all tested positive on day five of the sailing. 

I've flown about 20 times masked during Covid and never got it. Numerous trips to the grocery store masked, no Covid. Worked as a nurse with Covid patients, masked, never got Covid (was tested frequently). I believe in good masks, worn properly. It's a game of luck if you take them off to eat or drink. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I am not sure of the date the policy for reimbursement for being quarantined while on the ship ends (or ended).  It still may be running, or it may have ended by now.  Our cruise finished 3 weeks ago, and we were eligible for the reimbursements from that cruise (which have partially been paid back - a portion was not paid yet, but that was an oversight on their part, that they said they are now correcting).

The rest of the world (I am a school teacher in Ontario), is now basically being told, just live with Covid.  You are directed to isolate and return to work or school when symptoms have been improving for 24 hours.  Others will not bother to isolate at all.  Not saying what is right or what is wrong, but it is funny how quick policies can turn on a dime.

If RCCL tests you and then quarantine you now as you state and then there is zero compensation at all, that there will be the incentive people need to not test at all and just go on about their vacation.  At least when the quarantine was in place, the reimbursement offered was enough to encourage some people sitting on the fence whether to get a test or not, to do so.

Took between 12 and 13 days for each of us to test negative after initially testing positive.  The line was very faint around day 8, but continued to be there until day 13 for me.  I tested every 2nd day.

I think it ended when they stopped refunding cruise fares when people tested positive and could not cruise.  That either changed Sept. 1st, or maybe it was Sept. 11th?  Not to say "I told you so", but months ago, when we were speculating when testing might end, I said I'd put money on it being when that reimbursement policy ended.  I guess i was right! 🤣

You are right, though, that it will strongly influence people not to seek medical car on the ship if they feel sick.  But based on how many people feel about it these days, if you have a sore throat and the sniffles, there's no reason to seek treatment or get tested - just treat the symptoms like you do with a cold, but of course be kind and don't spread it to others (just like most of us do with a cold).  

6 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I think it ended when they stopped refunding cruise fares when people tested positive and could not cruise.  That either changed Sept. 1st, or maybe it was Sept. 11th?  Not to say "I told you so", but months ago, when we were speculating when testing might end, I said I'd put money on it being when that reimbursement policy ended.  I guess i was right! 🤣

You are right, though, that it will strongly influence people not to seek medical car on the ship if they feel sick.  But based on how many people feel about it these days, if you have a sore throat and the sniffles, there's no reason to seek treatment or get tested - just treat the symptoms like you do with a cold, but of course be kind and don't spread it to others (just like most of us do with a cold).  

Cruise with Confidence goes through Sept. 30 if you booked before <I think> the end of March. That is why I didn't take insurance on our California cruise this month. 

Something else has been extended until April 2023, but I forget what it is. :classic_huh: So many dates and programs to try and keep track of. Not a travel agent. 

Edited by Coralc