BEWARE! NCL PRIMA SLIDES OBSTRUCTING BALCONY VIEWS INCLUDING HAVEN ROOMS!

dhjson

39 minutes ago, rjm11 said:

this is an incredibly stupid design. Especially since the slide tubes appear to be enclosed (not clear)- so there is no reason to have them over the side of the ship like that..... like they might if being in a clear tube over the ocean was part of the fun.

That is SO true.

The tubes seemed to be wrapped when the first photos were available.  So it was "obvious" (apparently NOT!) that they'd be clear, or at least a clear top half. 

Meanwhile, I'm wondering... some of them look pretty long plus winding all over.  What if someone has a problem inside?  NCL only knows when... the person doesn't emerge at the bottom, but there's no indication about what happened, or even where?

???

This seems to be a concept where the attempt to be extra innovative simply ran amok.

GC

13 minutes ago, uneamie said:

For me...no way paying those prices would I accept or sail in that cabin. Either get your cabin changed or cancel. It's far enough time before final payment so maybe you can move to a different date different cabin. 

The OP said their cruise is in November, so I assume they are well past final payment. 

• Like 1

Call me cynical, but those two balconies on each side set just behind the slides like 14192 and 14792 are the handicap accessible cabins. People needing those rooms don’t have a choice.

Wishful thinking that it is only a matter of time before those slides disappear during a dry dock.

• Like 3

It stinks, but that's part of the risk of booking a brand new ship and going solely by rendered drawings. And others have said, you can't go by deck plans posted by non-NCL sites. 

And again, to be clear... the 'worst' rooms are those non-Haven suites. The Haven ones closest to the slides may be partially obstructed, but to my knowledge no one has sailed on it yet and shown actual photos standing on those specific balconies. There's photos near it, but until someone is on it themselves it's still a lot of speculation as to how much it will be blocked.

Options are to:

1. Request a move to a different cabin #, if available in the same category of room.

2. Request an upgrade or downgrade to a different cabin and pay the difference or get the refund as OBC.

3. Keep the room, hope for the best, and request a partial refund once onboard and you see how horrible the view truly is.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, rjm11 said:

this is an incredibly stupid design. Especially since the slide tubes appear to be enclosed (not clear)- so there is no reason to have them over the side of the ship like that..... like they might if being in a clear tube over the ocean was part of the fun.

I saw a video recently and there seems to be a part of the slide over the side of  the ship that is clear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hallux said:

That's a risk you take when booking a brand new ship in a new class before it's even completed.  You were fortunate that you could shift your room.

Oh right. I consider myself fortunate most days.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ppcox said:

I think we all have the right to be informed of the obstructed views before we pick our rooms. 

17 hours ago, hallux said:

That's a risk you take when booking a brand new ship in a new class before it's even completed.  

Say what?   I'm sorry, I disagree.  An obstructed view should not be a risk we take just because it's a new ship.  If I am paying for a balcony, I have a right to know that it's obstructed view.  NCL has a responsibility to communicate it's an obstructed view balcony.

16 hours ago, raitch said:

Do they disclose that it’s an “obstructed balcony” when you book that room? 

Apparently not and that's a problem, IMO. 

14 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Can't wait to see the threads once people start bidding for Haven upgrades and get those rooms. 

It's not just Haven rooms affected.  This will stop us dead in our tracks from bidding on anything or using Sail Away rates on this ship.  The one thing I do care about with my cabin is that it has a balcony and it's unobstructed.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Say what?   I'm sorry, I disagree.  An obstructed view should not be a risk we take just because it's a new ship.  If I am paying for a balcony, I have a right to know that it's obstructed view.  NCL has a responsibility to communicate it's an obstructed view balcony.

Fully agree. Sadly the corporate apologists come out in full force on any thread where someone is reporting an issue. As a customer you have the right to a fair and accurate description of whatever you're buying. Caveat emptor means you need to do your research and make sure what you're buying is what you want, not that you have to take a risk on information put out by the company being incomplete or inaccurate.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

NCL has also listed the Square footage for these cabins as this.

No indication of possible obstructed view for those next to slides.

NCL seems to add balcony to square footage of cabin.  Not sure I would say it is misleading but an accurate breakdown would be helpful.

The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with Large Balcony

These Villas located in The Haven provide the ideal luxury retreat for the whole family. They feature two bedrooms, one king-size bed, one queen-size bed, a double sofa bed, two bathrooms with jetted showers and a large balcony to gather together and enjoy the beautiful views or snuggle under the stars. Plus, access to The Haven amenities and butler and concierge service to complete your picture-perfect vacation.

• Accommodates: 6
  • Total Approx. Size: 606-658 sq. ft.
  • Balcony Size: 138-190 sq. ft.

DECK(S) 13

Information on other travel sites list square footage more “accurately “

plan

floor plan

Size: 468 sq. ft. Balcony: 138 - 190 sq. ft.

Occupancy: Up to 6 guests

Amenities: These Villas located in the Haven feature 2 bedrooms one with king-size bed one with queen-size bed a double sofa bed 2 luxury bathrooms with showers large balcony living area sitting area walk-in closet vanity floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors flat-screen TV telephone safe and exclusive key card access to the Haven. Additional Suite amenities include access to the secluded Courtyard Area private dining and lounge Butler and concierge service and more.

Smoking Policy: Smoking is not permitted in staterooms or on balconies.

The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa w/Large Balcony H6 cabins:

Edited by phissy

First, 100% yes, you should have been informed and able to make a decision. Thanks for sharing your story.

If the price was right, I personally wouldn't mind this at all. It's not ideal, but it's not like your face will be 12" from the slide tube. Looks like there are reasonably clear views to be had around the tubes. I bet you'll have an amazing time, but I'd still be irritated I wasn't informed, and then alas, I'd let it go so that it didn't cloud our vacation. 

I agree with others that this was a dumb, gimicky decision for NCL to have these. But hey, maybe I'll be able to sail in a penthouse suite one day due to an obstructed view price. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weltek said:

"... Looks like there are reasonably clear views to be had around the tubes..."

ME:  So we got a room on the Prima!
FRIEND:   Oh!  Brilliant.  Did you get a room with a view AROUND THE TUBES?
ME:  No, they were all taken.
FRIEND:   Darn.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2