RCCL "Unsupervised" Testing Embarkation Process Experience

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

A surprising number of passengers arrived for their Royal and Celebrity cruises this week at Pier 91 (Seattle to Alaska) either without their pre-arrival Covid test result, or a few showed up with their actual home testing strips.  They were under the mistaken belief that the test requirement had been dropped because their Alaska cruise was less that 10 days long, or that they could use home test kits.  They did not want to believe, or didn't see that the cruises that stop in Canada still required Covid testing (as well as being fully vaccinated if over the age of 12).

All Alaska cruise passengers arriving without a negative lab test result statement (printed or on their phone) were directed to the testing site at Pier 91 to take a Covid Test.  Cost of the test was $100 for each person.

We're going to eastern Canada in a few weeks and I've been following their testing requirements for a while now.  I'm active in some "other places" where we discuss cruises and I am absolutely amazed at what a cluster this is with regards to Canada.  RCCL did send out an email a few weeks ago when protocols changed explaining that Canada still requires vaccines and observed testing.  They also do have a those protocols as well as ArriveCAN requirements listed on the website, but you do have to dig through the FAQs to find it.  Now, when you go to the ArriveCAN website, there's a lot of info there that seems to state that testing is not required, like this:

Pre-entry testing is not required

Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

But that "by water" is really for ferries and private boats.  Like with RCCL's website, if you dig around, you'll find the page for "Oh wait - you're coming by water on a cruise ship?"

I'm not suggesting that people don't need to take responsibility for themselves, but I suggest that this important information should be communicated concisely.  When I login to RCCL and look at my cruise docs, why not put a big message there instead of making me dig for it?  Or are they afraid that would distract from selling drink package in Cruise Planner?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rudeney said:

When I login to RCCL and look at my cruise docs, why not put a big message there instead of making me dig for it?

That suggestion would make life so much easier for both passengers and check-in agents!

The cruise lines should also have similar 'stop' messages for some foreign visitors who need a Canadian visa in order to board a cruise ship in Seattle for their Alaskan cruise.  It would save a lot of heartbreak.

On board Anthem at the moment. The whole check in process in Southampton went very smoothly. You deffo don’t need to do anything else than a home covid test.  The check in lady looked at the NHS printout and the test cassette I brought with me to show we were negative and cleared us through. I was done with the whole process in less than 5 minutes and on board 5 minutes later. Easiest it’s ever been and I’m mightily impressed. First impressions of the ship staff, brilliantly friendly. Looking forward to my cruise. Got in my cabin around 1pm and now just waiting on my luggage. I know where the suitcases are as I’m tracking them with my air tags. I do like my gadgets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/7/2022 at 2:01 PM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

First off, let me stress this is second-hand heresay.  People on the Anthem right now are reporting that  from arrival at the car park alongside the terminal  to being on board is taking under 20 minutes 

Terminal staff check vaccination papers, check the Antigen test ( in whatever  format) ask the 3 health questions  again, and wave you onboard.

Is that U.S boarding at Bayonne or UK boarding at Southampton? UK boarding is very effective. U.S boarding is not. Can't speak for Bayonne but Brooklyn QM2 took us nearly two hours just to get through the check in massive line all bunched up very tight quarters. Are the terminal staff also taking bribes at either end from people who either didn't want to, failed or didn't know they had to test. This happened in Brooklyn too I saw the exchange there was something under the guys paperwork the check in woman felt it knew what was required i saw the look on here face and he got through. Very un-cunard.  Mrs Bucket would never approve. Our americans friends won't get that one.

And also to save me making a thread if you will indulge me. Does the Anthem go under the verrazzano narrows bridge? It must do because I don't see how it can get past staten island? Yet it is 3 decks at least higher than QM2? And QM2 barely clears?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scottraveller said:

On board Anthem at the moment. The whole check in process in Southampton went very smoothly. You deffo don’t need to do anything else than a home covid test.  The check in lady looked at the NHS printout and the test cassette I brought with me to show we were negative and cleared us through. I was done with the whole process in less than 5 minutes and on board 5 minutes later. Easiest it’s ever been and I’m mightily impressed. First impressions of the ship staff, brilliantly friendly. Looking forward to my cruise. Got in my cabin around 1pm and now just waiting on my luggage. I know where the suitcases are as I’m tracking them with my air tags. I do like my gadgets

Thanks for the update @scottraveller. Much appreciated! 😊

I'm sailing on Anthem in January for a ... 11 day cruise (no stops in Canada or Bermuda). My 3 kids under 12 are unvaccinated. At this point I have no idea what tests I should take (based on the current protocols) but I'm hoping that any and all testing requirements will be dropped by then.

43 minutes ago, exm said:

I'm sailing on Anthem in January for a ... 11 day cruise (no stops in Canada or Bermuda). My 3 kids under 12 are unvaccinated. At this point I have no idea what tests I should take (based on the current protocols) but I'm hoping that any and all testing requirements will be dropped by then.

It is VERY CLEARLY spelled out on the Royal Caribbean website.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise#united-states

20 hours ago, scottraveller said:

Ooooh I had heard about those air tags, gotta get me some.  Do you just slip/clip them inside your luggage? 

2 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

Ooooh I had heard about those air tags, gotta get me some.  Do you just slip/clip them inside your luggage? 

It's Apple's version of a "Tile".  The only difference is that the software to track them is built into every iPhone, so you don't have to install an app or rely on others to install the app.  All iPhones track and report the location of all nearby AirTags back to Apple, and that info is sent to the owners of each AIrTag.  It also only works when an iPhone with internet service is within a short range of the AirTag.  And of course it only works with Apple.  Android phones can't use AirTags and can't report on the location of others' AirTags. 

On 9/8/2022 at 12:56 PM, scottraveller said:

As I’m sailing out of Southampton on Sunday I’ll update the forum on how I get on. That is of course if people are interested 

Yes please do.  We sail in Nov and have to test, and curious how this works with a pic or test in hand.

24 minutes ago, redmondang said:

Yes please do.  We sail in Nov and have to test, and curious how this works with a pic or test in hand.

He already did. I guess you missed it. See post 54 above. It all went very smoothly.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:17 PM, Mikamarii said:

FYI Obesity kills 2.8 million people each year. How come people aren't lobbying cruise lines for change? This affects all of us regardless of my decision of what goes in to my body.

https://www.who.int/news-room/facts-in-pictures/detail/6-facts-on-obesity#:~:text=At least 2.8 million people each year die as a,tripled between 1975 and 2016.

Because others being obese cannot be spread and kill others. 

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is VERY CLEARLY spelled out on the Royal Caribbean website.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise#united-states

I think what they meant was that the testing would likely go away after a certain point. Most folks no longer care. Those who want the shot have it. Those who don't are not changing their mind. So the cruises and tourist traps had to make a decision: chase off a heavy percentage of their customers for all eternity, of just accept that life is 100% fatal. The remaining requirements seem to be a formality.

I give it a few months before the remaining requirements go away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 5:51 AM, mickeychicky said:

Now that we've reached the date where unsupervised testing is accepted to board RCCL, it would be nice to get actual feedback on how the process is going so that others don't make the same mistakes, if there were any. 

Did the employees at check in know what they were doing? 

Anyone just bring in your negative test, or take a photo and show it?

Should people be doing a "BACK-UP" supervised test?

Please add your experience with your embarkation port.

We just cruised with supervised testing. As always we printed everything and had it in app. Nobody really looked at them closely.

End of day two now and what is very noticeable is the fact that masks are not being worn. Seldom do you see anyone with a mask on and I must say I find it a bit refreshing. Really enjoying the break so far and the staff are all great. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. I guess it’s true what they say ; a holiday is only as good as what you want it to be and as this is my first for three years I’m enjoying it immensely. First stop tomorrow Vigo where it’s expected to be raining ha ha. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

End of day two now and what is very noticeable is the fact that masks are not being worn. Seldom do you see anyone with a mask on and I must say I find it a bit refreshing. Really enjoying the break so far and the staff are all great. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. I guess it’s true what they say ; a holiday is only as good as what you want it to be and as this is my first for three years I’m enjoying it immensely. First stop tomorrow Vigo where it’s expected to be raining ha ha. 

Glad to hear you're having a great time. 😊 The rain is the effect of storm Danielle; we've been getting it here too today but hopefully it'll have cleared up by the time you get to Lisbon. 

On 9/8/2022 at 3:23 AM, mickeychicky said:

And THOSE are the type of people that will ruin this for everybody else.  If the cruise lines hear that enough times, and they do have people that troll these boards I'm sure, they will put an end to the unsupervised testing.

Kinda like how the drink packages work now, if one purchases a package you ALL have to purchase one. Thank The "Sharer's" for that!

drink package is revenue.  They are going through the covid motions just to pacify 

49 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Boarded Navigator today with unvaccinated teens. I had a picture or their negative tests on my phone. They were checked to confirm they were negative but that was it. Embarkation was very quick and painless

Was the picture of the negative test just the actual test and that is it?  No name or test date on or near the test.

All I did was log my covid test result through the government website for this purpose. It asks you if you wish to receive a notification of the result which I confirmed. You are then sent a text message as you have already put your mobile number in when you registered (I think on the NHS app) and an email. I took this as a print out and also took the test cassette itself (which you could still see the negative line even after three days). The check in lady checked the print out and the cassette and cleared me through. All really easy and simple. I kept the text message and email on my phone as back up but it was not required. 

Thanks Fiona hopefully Lisbon is sunny but the forecast isn’t too positive. It’s pelting down here in Vigo at the moment

3B1DDBD6-CEE9-432F-87CA-2A05F1E6390D.jpeg

2 hours ago, scottraveller said:

Thanks Fiona hopefully Lisbon is sunny but the forecast isn’t too positive. It’s pelting down here in Vigo at the moment

3B1DDBD6-CEE9-432F-87CA-2A05F1E6390D.jpeg

The weather forecast has been known to be wrong. 😂 Fingers, legs and eyes crossed for you! 🤞

If it doesn't cooperate and you need something indoors to do in Lisbon, I highly recommend the Oceanarium: https://www.oceanario.pt/en

Just now, FionaMG said:

The weather forecast has been known to be wrong. 😂 Fingers, legs and eyes crossed for you! 🤞

If it doesn't cooperate and you need something indoors to do in Lisbon, I highly recommend the Oceanarium: https://www.oceanario.pt/en

Hi Fiona...just wanted to say "Hello"...Voyager...waiting to tender into Qaqortoq, Greenland...cold and foggy. :classic_smile: